TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #151
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
Has anyone used a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3EG HD203WI (2TB) on a TivoHD?

I have this as a spare drive and really would like to upgrade.
If it doesn't work in the TiVo, you can always make it one big NT partition and put it in a computer running TiVo Desktop and store recordings that way.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #152
steinercat

well...i finally upgraded my drive to a spare 2TB Samsung F3.

Its currently rebooting now, saying "Removing external storage Device."

I didn't have any external storage devices on my 1TB WD that I used as a copy, but I had an external HD connected to the stock HD when I first upgraded to 1TB. Strange how this setting was carried over. It hasn't finished rebooting yet, but I'm half-expecting to get the same drive 'limitation' others have gotten the external storage warning.

Anyways, when I opened my Tivo, I saw 2 bulging caps on the PSU mainboard, and the big yellow POT had some leakage.

Tivo has worked great tough, and haven't had any rebooting issues.

UPDATE:

157 hours.

time to dig up the stock 160 HD.

Last edited by steinercat : 06-20-2011 at 02:54 AM.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #153
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
That dam* Apple_Free Extra shows as a partition...
Of course it isn't really a partition, it's the unpartitioned space, if any, at the end of the drive, but that's just the way that the Apple Partition Map does the accounting, but the tools don't count it as a partition when they count partitions, and they just overwrite it.

You can delete it with, if I remember my experiments correctly, some option in pdisk, but when you re-initialize (if you didn't use the space to create another "real" partition), it's right back there, like in a low-budget horror movie, but in this case, it's just a harmless accounting artifact.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #154
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
well...i finally upgraded my drive to a spare 2TB Samsung F3.

Its currently rebooting now, saying "Removing external storage Device."

I didn't have any external storage devices on my 1TB WD that I used as a copy, but I had an external HD connected to the stock HD when I first upgraded to 1TB. Strange how this setting was carried over. It hasn't finished rebooting yet, but I'm half-expecting to get the same drive 'limitation' others have gotten the external storage warning.

Anyways, when I opened my Tivo, I saw 2 bulging caps on the PSU mainboard, and the big yellow POT had some leakage.

Tivo has worked great tough, and haven't had any rebooting issues.

UPDATE:

157 hours.

time to dig up the stock 160 HD.
You should also start saving your allowance for power supply repair/replacement.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #155
steinercat

drive upgrade went great.

Cox had to come in and change CC. it wasn't pairing properly after upgrade. They replaced it with a Cisco card.

all good now...just waiting for PSU to die.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #156
bhiga

Thank you for this! Successfully upgraded from a WD10EVDS to a WD20EURS on my TiVo HD by following the unstructions.

As someone else mentioned, Fry's Electronics has the WD20EVDS/WD20EURS as the same SKU in their system, but so far, no problems!

The old Maxtor SATA 150 (rebranded Promise PDC20375 aka SATA 150TX2plus) in my drive-wiping machine worked perfectly with JMFS, copying drive-to-drive and expanding afterward.
bhiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #157
csell

My already upgraded 750 GB harddrive just died and I'm going to upgrade to a 2 TB drive. I still have the original 160 GB drive, which I have already put back in the Tivo until I pick up the new drive. My question is

1) Do you need to do a "Clear & delete everything" before beginning the process?

2) When I put back the original harddrive, I am now getting the cablecard message from my cable company. I guess that information is stored on the harddrive? So what I'm wondering is if I have them reprogram it now (with the original 160 GB harddrive) and then I do the upgrade to the new drive, will I have to reprogram the cablecard yet again? That's why I'm hoping I don't have to do the "Clear & Delete everything" and that information would be transfered to the new drive...

Thanks
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #158
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

1) No, see 2)

2) If you pair the 160GB with the cable card before you copy it over to the new drive, jmfs will transfer everything from the 160GB to the 2TB (recorded shows, season pass, cable pairing ...)
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #159
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
1) No, see 2)

2) If you pair the 160GB with the cable card before you copy it over to the new drive, jmfs will transfer everything from the 160GB to the 2TB (recorded shows, season pass, cable pairing ...)
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear!
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #160
joecody12

In the past with my Series 2 Tivos, I replaced the hard drives proactively after about three or four years, and at the same time expanded to more capacity. For example, a Toshiba SD-H400 upgraded from the original 80GB drive to 160GB, then three years later upgrade from 160GB to 500GB. I never had any issues because I was always expanding to more capacity.

Now, with a THD upgraded to a 2TB drive using JMFS and WinMFS, I'm at the max size limit. If I want to proactively replace that drive in three years, the new drive will probably be no larger than the same 2TB, and it might be a couple of bits or bytes smaller depending on the brand/model. Using today's tools (JMFS, WinMFS), would I run into problems trying to copy to a drive with a bit less capacity?
joecody12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #161
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecody12 View Post
In the past with my Series 2 Tivos, I replaced the hard drives proactively after about three or four years, and at the same time expanded to more capacity. For example, a Toshiba SD-H400 upgraded from the original 80GB drive to 160GB, then three years later upgrade from 160GB to 500GB. I never had any issues because I was always expanding to more capacity.

Now, with a THD upgraded to a 2TB drive using JMFS and WinMFS, I'm at the max size limit. If I want to proactively replace that drive in three years, the new drive will probably be no larger than the same 2TB, and it might be a couple of bits or bytes smaller depending on the brand/model. Using today's tools (JMFS, WinMFS), would I run into problems trying to copy to a drive with a bit less capacity?
Unfortunately yes, try using the same brand drive to avoid that too few bit problem.
One question I would have is if you made a copy from a 2Tb drive to a 3Tb drive and did not try to expand the copy would you have any problems ? as you would have only 2Tb of data on the 3 Tb drive.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #162
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unfortunately yes, try using the same brand drive to avoid that too few bit problem.
One question I would have is if you made a copy from a 2Tb drive to a 3Tb drive and did not try to expand the copy would you have any problems ? as you would have only 2Tb of data on the 3 Tb drive.
The TP doesn't recognize a 3TB period. I copied the stock TP 320G to a 3TB and in the TP it just cycled thru the power up loop. Even though I didn't try the same process on the THD, it would be safe to say the THD won't recognize the 3TB either.

AS far as 2TB to 2TB...... it can't hurt to try. The only thing you lose is the 12-14 hrs to copy it!

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #163
lessd

Quote:
The TP doesn't recognize a 3TB period. I copied the stock TP 320G to a 3TB and in the TP it just cycled thru the power up loop. Even though I didn't try the same process on the THD, it would be safe to say the THD won't recognize the 3TB either.

AS far as 2TB to 2TB...... it can't hurt to try. The only thing you lose is the 12-14 hrs to copy it!
So a 3Tb drive has no way to jumper down the size so older computers and TiVo will recognize the drive?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #164
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
So a 3Tb drive has no way to jumper down the size so older computers and TiVo will recognize the drive?
Never heard of that one before on any HDD....

yah there is one umarked jumper. But, I'm not shorting it out just to see what happens....

I'm not the only one that tried this....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...78#post8544478

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #165
unitron

Quote:
Never heard of that one before on any HDD....

yah there is one umarked jumper. But, I'm not shorting it out just to see what happens....

I'm not the only one that tried this....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...78#post8544478
Older, smaller drives, in days gone by, have had jumper positions that would cause them to report themselves as smaller to keep older motherboard bios'es happy, but if your 3TB had such a thing, it would most likely be documented on the sticker on the top of the drive.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #166
MojoRilla

Another success to report. I was able to copy an already expanded WD 1 TB drive to a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB (about 6 hours to copy) and expand using JFMS. No supersize needed since I had already supersized the WD.

Hello 318 hours!
MojoRilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #167
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRilla View Post
Another success to report. I was able to copy an already expanded WD 1 TB drive to a Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB (about 6 hours to copy) and expand using JFMS. No supersize needed since I had already supersized the WD.

Hello 318 hours!
Nice! If you're happy with the acoustics can you post the Seagate model number if you have it? They are fairly new to the mix and IIRC at least one other person is using one successfully. Seagate has had their share of QC issues these past few years, but if these newer green drives work out it would be a good alternative to recommend for upgrades. TIA and enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #168
MojoRilla

Seems I spoke too soon...

It seems I spoke too soon about having success with a TivoHD and the Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb 5900 RPM green drive. I've had some weird freezes since the upgrade (frozen with a gray screen, but lights on the front of the Tivo). I'm now running a kickstart 57, but will downgrade back to my 1 TB western digital if this doesn't work.

Anyone else see this kind of weirdness after upgrading from an already expanded drive?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #169
spamjam

I successfully expanded my TivoHD from a supersized WD10EACS to a WD20EURS using only JMFS. Copy took 8-9 hours. Will have to use wdidle (haven't yet) as it hung at soft reboot. The WD20EURS has a manufacture date of 5/14/2011. 318 HD hours...yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you tried a soft reboot yet?

Last edited by spamjam : 07-10-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: changed wdidle from no to yes due to unitron's comment
spamjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 AM   #170
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamjam View Post
I successfully expanded my TivoHD from a supersized WD10EACS to a WD20EURS using only JMFS. Copy took 8-9 hours. The WD20EURS has a manufacture date of 5/14/2011. Did NOT have to use wdidle. 318 HD hours...yay!
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed feedback and enjoy!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #171
spamjam

Apologies about this public post, but I cannot send PMs until I have 10 posts. This one gets me to eight! Yeah, I'm a quiet sorta guy.

To the inquirer of my WD10EACS: Sorry, but it's going in my wife's TiVo!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #172
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamjam View Post
Apologies about this public post, but I cannot send PMs until I have 10 posts. This one gets me to eight! Yeah, I'm a quiet sorta guy.

To the inquirer of my WD10EACS: Sorry, but it's going in my wife's TiVo!
Thanks anyway, I just found one on Craigslist.

Tell your wife I hope she's properly appreciative of it and you.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #173
timmmyboi

EXTREMELY happy to report another success story for the WD20EARS 2TB using the directions at the beginning of this thread! TiVo reports a whopping 318 hours HD recording time.

Thanks for all the great directions!
timmmyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #174
timmmyboi

Oh and I didnt use the WDIDLE either and also that thing that quiets the drive. This drive is SUPER silent sssshhhhhhh
Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #175
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmmyboi View Post
Oh and I didnt use the WDIDLE either and also that thing that quiets the drive. This drive is SUPER silent sssshhhhhhh

EDIT

The TCF server clock seems to be over 10 minutes behind.

At 7:27AM this first got posted with a time attached of 7:19AM

Last edited by unitron : 07-10-2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: add observation about time discrepancy
Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #176
spamjam

Rats! I wasn't paying attention and forgot about the soft reboot problem and why wdidle is needed. I discovered my TiVo does hang at soft reboot, so I'll have to use wdidle. Haven't done so yet. I've edited my post above.

NOTE TO richsadams: you probably should edit your post that quotes my post.

Quote:

Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #177
timmmyboi

Quote:

EDIT

The TCF server clock seems to be over 10 minutes behind.

At 7:27AM this first got posted with a time attached of 7:19AM
I did last night and a few times this morning to make sure it was OK and it did great, and now TiVo pushed the update for me today and it rebooted and I'm looking at this welcome screen now for almost an hour so WDIDLE here I come!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #178
timmmyboi

OK that was fast and fixed the issue.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #179
MojoRilla

After several weeks, I'm calling my upgrade to the Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb 5900 RPM green drive a success. There was some flakiness during the first week, but now everything seems fine.

Thanks all...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #180
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRilla
After several weeks, I'm calling my upgrade to the Seagate ST2000DL003 2tb 5900 RPM green drive a success. There was some flakiness during the first week, but now everything seems fine.

Thanks all...
That's excellent to hear. Options are always good. Enjoy!