Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #421
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Hate to bump my own post, but .. bump

Anyone have any suggestions or even better, an image for a Premiere? Payday is next Friday, and at that point, I'll have to bite the bullet and sent it to Tivo for repair (assuming they will cover it), but would like to avoid paying the $50 if possible...

Going through withdrawls.

And then I'm back at square one. I'll be afraid to try to do the upgrade again.

Thanks
In fact, what method did you use to attempt the upgrade, initially?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 06-13-2011 at 05:16 AM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #422
phirephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
In fact, what method did you use to attempt the upgrade, initially?
Apparently as I found out, a older version of MFSTools.
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #423
dwit

Quote:
Apparently as I found out, a older version of MFSTools.
Just so you, and others know, and as far as I know, at this time, there is only one tool that has been demonstrated to successfully upgrade the Premiere drive to 2TB; Comer's JMFS program, outlined in the Premiere Upgrade Thread.

I don't believe any other methods have been demonstrated to work. Although with Comer's JMFS "procedure", the Supersize step was done initially with the WinMfs program, but that is no longer necessary now.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #424
phirephoto

Quote:
Just so you, and others know, and as far as I know, at this time, there is only one tool that has been demonstrated to successfully upgrade the Premiere drive to 2TB; Comer's JMFS program, outlined in the Premiere Upgrade Thread.

I don't believe any other methods have been demonstrated to work. Although with Comer's JMFS "procedure", the Supersize step was done initially with the WinMfs program, but that is no longer necessary now.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.. Problem is now I've got basically a DOA Premiere so hoping someone can help out with an image.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #425
retiredqwest

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.. Problem is now I've got basically a DOA Premiere so hoping someone can help out with an image.
Amazing what one can find in the Winmfs Forums:

Not a Tivo Drive in Premiere
WinMFS Beta Release Support
Post a reply
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby tenadam5 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 am
When trying to copy one good Premiere drive to a new drive for my other premiere (the original drive died) i accidentally selected fix bootpage and chose option one for my good drive. Now I can not get it to be recognized as a Tivo drive and my Tivo just starts up, all lights flash and it restarts never getting past the hello screen.

Any help for the beginner would be appreciated.

tenadam5

Re: Not a Tivo Drive in Premiere

Postby spike » Tue May 24, 2011 11:18 am
Try fix bootpage option2

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1769

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #426
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post

WinMFS Beta Release Support
Post a reply
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby tenadam5 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 am
When trying to copy one good Premiere drive to a new drive for my other premiere (the original drive died) i accidentally selected fix bootpage and chose option one for my good drive. Now I can not get it to be recognized as a Tivo drive and my Tivo just starts up, all lights flash and it restarts never getting past the hello screen.

Any help for the beginner would be appreciated.

tenadam5

Re: Not a Tivo Drive in Premiere

Try fix bootpage option2

The "Fix Bootpage" possibility(both options) was suggested and tried here also, but apparently, was not successful.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #427
phirephoto

Quote:
<SNIP>
Try fix bootpage option2

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...22#post8552922

Me: "Yes, I tried both fix bootpage option 1 and option 2."
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #428
phirephoto

Quote:
The "Fix Bootpage" possibility(both options) was suggested and tried here also, but apparently, was not successful.
Just maybe for clarification - I tried boopage option 1. Then tried reloading mfs tools, it still said not a Tivo drive. tried bootpage option 2, then still Not a tivo drive.

Should I perhaps try fix bootpage, then try booting up the tivo? Or if I do the bootpage and it works, should it then say it's a Tivo drive?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #429
dwit

Quote:
Just maybe for clarification - I tried boopage option 1. Then tried reloading mfs tools, it still said not a Tivo drive. tried bootpage option 2, then still Not a tivo drive.

Should I perhaps try fix bootpage, then try booting up the tivo? Or if I do the bootpage and it works, should it then say it's a Tivo drive?
Of course the Premiere was not sold when winmfs was developed. I think when/if WinMfs works on the Premiere it's more of "just a coincidence". I think the Premiere drive/software presents some different challenges for winmfs, and maybe some of the other mfs tools at this time.

For instance, I don't think you can make a truncated back up image of the Premiere like you can of the other previous "series" of Tivos. For now, an "image" for the Premiere is the contents of the entire drive. So when you ask for "an image for the Premiere", you basically have to acquire another actual Premiere hard drive to copy with the Jmfs program(with the option to expand), or possibly other drive cloning software(no expanding, just bit for bit copying).

But as far as what you should have done with the "fix boot page", I think it is probably a matter of trying all possible avenues. If the first didn't work, try another, an so on. So maybe even though winmfs did not recognize the Premiere drive as a "Tivo", I still would have tried to see if it would boot up, mavbe.

Granted, the probability may be very small that an operation is performed correctly on a drive it did not even recognize.

I really can't claim to know a lot about any of these "tools", except how to use them, as prescribed, with the Tivo drives they are made to work on.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 06-13-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #430
unitron

Quote:

Exactly how did you get MFS Tools to say 'not a TiVo drive'?

And are we really talking about the MFS Tools that's command line based, older than the also command line based MFS Live, and older than WinMFS, which is a Graphical User Interface program that you install and run on a computer running Windows and can only run if Windows is already running?

Make sure that the computer you use is running XP with Service Pack 2 or 3 installed.

Hook up just the original TiVo drive, in addition to the drive with Windows on it.

Boot into Windows XP.

Run WinMFS.

Click on Fix Bootpage, choose option 1.

Exit WinMFS, shut down computer.

Return drive to Premiere.

See if it boots.

If not, power cycle it and see if you can get Kickstart to run.

If not, return drive to computer and do Fix Bootpage, option 2.

See if it boots.

If not, power cycle and see if you can get Kickstart to run.

Somewhere around here there's a writeup on how to get into Kickstart on the various models.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #431
phirephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Exactly how did you get MFS Tools to say 'not a TiVo drive'?

And are we really talking about the MFS Tools that's command line based, older than the also command line based MFS Live, and older than WinMFS, which is a Graphical User Interface program that you install and run on a computer running Windows and can only run if Windows is already running?

Make sure that the computer you use is running XP with Service Pack 2 or 3 installed.

Hook up just the original TiVo drive, in addition to the drive with Windows on it.

Boot into Windows XP.

Run WinMFS.

Click on Fix Bootpage, choose option 1.

Exit WinMFS, shut down computer.

See if it boots.

If not, power cycle it and see if you can get Kickstart to run.

If not, return drive to computer and do Fix Bootpage, option 2.

See if it boots.

If not, power cycle and see if you can get Kickstart to run.

Somewhere around here there's a writeup on how to get into Kickstart on the various models.
Ok, sorry for the confusion, it was WinMFS that said Not A Tivo Drive.

Computers I have are Windows 7 and XP SP3 (or whatever the latest SP is).

I'll try the above and see if that works..

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #432
retiredqwest

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

is the thread in which Comer and Spike discuss the existing tools and how Comer modified them to end up with JMFS.

IOW, Winmfs does not work on a TP. YES, you can mount the TP drive, and when you run msinfo it reports the 'not a Tivo drive'.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

is a message about the Kickstart function built into all Tivo's.

I would try KS 52 the emergency reinstall of the software and see what happens.

As far as someone sending you an image..... ain't gonna happen. There aren't any tools to make and or restore an image on the TP.

But, I welcome anyone to PROVE me wrong.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #433
phirephoto

Quote:
http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

is the thread in which Comer and Spike discuss the existing tools and how Comer modified them to end up with JMFS.

IOW, Winmfs does not work on a TP. YES, you can mount the TP drive, and when you run msinfo it reports the 'not a Tivo drive'.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

is a message about the Kickstart function built into all Tivo's.

I would try KS 52 the emergency reinstall of the software and see what happens.

As far as someone sending you an image..... ain't gonna happen. There aren't any tools to make and or restore an image on the TP.

I tried the KS - not getting anything. The procedure for the Premiere says - going from memory - green and orange lights should flicker - I don't get that. I don't recall what I DO get, but not that. I did however try Pause - 52 at various times, and never saw any results. I'll try again tonight and I can jot down what the lights do, but I don't see green and orange flickering. If I remember, when it comes on, all lights come on, then that's it - then 30 seconds or so later it reboots.

I'm guessing the kickstart is from the hard drive, so if the hard drive is indeed fubar, kickstart won't work?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #434
phirephoto

Quote:
I tried the KS - not getting anything. The procedure for the Premiere says - going from memory - green and orange lights should flicker - I don't get that. I don't recall what I DO get, but not that. I did however try Pause - 52 at various times, and never saw any results. I'll try again tonight and I can jot down what the lights do, but I don't see green and orange flickering. If I remember, when it comes on, all lights come on, then that's it - then 30 seconds or so later it reboots.

I'm guessing the kickstart is from the hard drive, so if the hard drive is indeed fubar, kickstart won't work?
Ok, tried fix bootpage 1, plug drive back into Tivo, no go. Bootpage 2, drive back into tivo, no go. Light status: All lights come on for a second, then go off, then just green stays on.. 20 or so seconds later, reboot. Tried hitting pause 52 at all possible times, no go.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #435
phirephoto

Quote:
http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500As far as someone sending you an image..... ain't gonna happen. There aren't any tools to make and or restore an image on the TP.

You don't need tools to backup / restore a Tivo Premiere image - you need tools to create a hard drive image. I'm not a expert by any means of imaging (I work with Ghost imaging at work), but some of my coworkers are, and I guarantee you - I (they) can clone any drive. Doesn't matter what's on the drive, you're creating a byte for byte copy of the drive.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #436
unitron

Quote:
You don't need tools to backup / restore a Tivo Premiere image - you need tools to create a hard drive image. I'm not a expert by any means of imaging (I work with Ghost imaging at work), but some of my coworkers are, and I guarantee you - I (they) can clone any drive. Doesn't matter what's on the drive, you're creating a byte for byte copy of the drive.
And that's not what retiredqwest was talking about.

What you're talking about, any of us could do with dd or dd_rescue and another hard drive of the same size. What you're talking about will produce something as large as the Premiere's stock hard drive. Files that big aren't sent over the internet from residence to residence, they're carried on a truck.

retiredqwest was talking about a compressed image such as can currently be made for S1 - S3 TiVos, images that can then be restored to drives of varying sizes.

However, in your situation, a clone of a virgin Premiere drive may be what you need, if only to see if your Premiere's motherboard has gone bad.

Do you know anybody else with a Premiere and a sense of adventure/foolish disregard for consequences?

It would be interesting to see what happens if your present drive is placed in another Premiere.

Do not, however, place anyone else's stock drive in your Premiere, for fear of corruption.

Anybody know if the Premiere has one of those easily dislodged front panel cables?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #437
phirephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
And that's not what retiredqwest was talking about.

What you're talking about, any of us could do with dd or dd_rescue and another hard drive of the same size. What you're talking about will produce something as large as the Premiere's stock hard drive. Files that big aren't sent over the internet from residence to residence, they're carried on a truck.

retiredqwest was talking about a compressed image such as can currently be made for S1 - S3 TiVos, images that can then be restored to drives of varying sizes.

However, in your situation, a clone of a virgin Premiere drive may be what you need, if only to see if your Premiere's motherboard has gone bad.

Do you know anybody else with a Premiere and a sense of adventure/foolish disregard for consequences?

It would be interesting to see what happens if your present drive is placed in another Premiere.

Do not, however, place anyone else's stock drive in your Premiere, for fear of corruption.

Anybody know if the Premiere has one of those easily dislodged front panel cables?
I've e-mailed 400+ MB files before. Sure, it's not fun, but pretty easy especially with Comcast / high speed broadband
Unfortunately, no, I don't know anyone else with a Premiere. I'm pretty confident though the drive 'died' because of what I tried. So at this point, I'm going with dvrupgrade.com and sending them my 2 TB hard drive to be imaged for the premiere.

When you say don't put anyone elses drive in my premiere for fear of corruption - you mean it would corrupt their drive, right? Why would I care?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #438
SlipperyPete

Anyone still around that might be able to help me out with a TCD649080 image? Appears as though my disk has literally turned to dust, or more like sand...if you shake it, it now sounds like an etch-a-sketch.

Thanks in advance...
SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #439
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyPete View Post
Anyone still around that might be able to help me out with a TCD649080 image? Appears as though my disk has literally turned to dust, or more like sand...if you shake it, it now sounds like an etch-a-sketch.

Thanks in advance...
PM sent. Must have been a Maxtor drive.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #440
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
My guess is that by the time s2dt came out, Tivo had switched to using WD, only or mainly.

My 649080 drive is a WD.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #441
SlipperyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Thank you so much, that did the trick. It was actually a WD, just trying to decide if it's worth the cost to send it back or more fun to take it apart.
SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 AM   #442
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyPete View Post
Thank you so much, that did the trick. It was actually a WD, just trying to decide if it's worth the cost to send it back or more fun to take it apart.
If it's still under warranty WD pays the shipping both ways. You will probably get a much bigger drive too.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #443
sneitzke

I need an image for a TCD24004A
Thanks
sneitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #444
sneitzke

Need 5 posts
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #445
sneitzke

Need 4 posts
Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #446
sneitzke

Need 2 posts
Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #447
sneitzke

Need 1 post
Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #448
section128drunk

Need a stock TCD652160 image for my dead series 3 lifetime unit, I have used instantcake in the past, but without a desktop with sata drives, that is no longer an option.. looking for a backup image I can use with winmfs and my usb to sata adapter on my laptop ..
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
section128drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #449
j123

I need 6.4x images for the HR10-250 and HDVR2. These have been sitting for a long time since I bought them. Neither has 6.4x.
j123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #450
GerryinNV

Philips HDR31203 Image?

My hard drives have crashed on my S1 Philips hdr31203 Tivo and I need an image. Any idea where I might find one? Many thanks.
GerryinNV is offline   Reply With Quote