TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #91
cditty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Are you a VIP member? Feeds are limited to 50 results only.

http://rss.nzbmatrix.com/

NZBMatrix API / RSS Forum:

http://nzbmatrix.com/forums.php?acti...rum&forumid=46
Yes I am. I was actually using the RSS feed from the given categories. (Clicking on the RSS icon). I got the right RSS now, but SABnzdb won't download from the RSS. I setup the RSS and it's reading it. When I create a filter, ie...In.Plain.Site, it ignores it and won't download.

Should I be using some other RSS reader?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #92
cditty

I think I got my filter figured out. How do you handle the duplicates?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #93
innocentfreak

I think most just use programs like Sickbeard and Couchpotato to handle all of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #94
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cditty View Post
I think I got my filter figured out. How do you handle the duplicates?
In Sabnzb configuration, under switches,

Queue: Detect Duplicate Downloads should be enabled.
Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #95
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Anybody else having problems accessing unzbin?
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #96
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat74 View Post
Yeah, their website is unreachable right now. Try again later.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #97
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
Yeah, their website is unreachable right now. Try again later.
thank you
Old 06-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #98
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat74 View Post
The website is back up.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #99
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Quote:
The website is back up.
thank you
Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #100
2004raptor

Finally getting the hang of sabnbzb and nzb files. What's the deal with the "connections"? Blocknews says something about 50 connections. What exactly does that mean? I would think it means getting the files faster but I am already downloading at 1.5MB/sec. Can't imagine I can get stuff faster than that.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #101
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Finally getting the hang of sabnbzb and nzb files. What's the deal with the "connections"? Blocknews says something about 50 connections. What exactly does that mean? I would think it means getting the files faster but I am already downloading at 1.5MB/sec. Can't imagine I can get stuff faster than that.
It means the individual number connections to their server. Sometimes users need more connections in order to max out their speed. But nobody needs 50 connections. That number is just marketing.

Ideally you want to use the least amount of connections that allow you to max out your speed. On average it can run anywhere from 8-12 will allow you to max out your speed. The number can be different for everyone though. Add or subtract the number of connections that work best for you. Try to figure the minimum needed that allow you to max out your speed.

To many connections can affect your computer/internet performance.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #102
Ment

Quote:
Blocknews, since you are buying a fixed number of GB doesn't care if multiple people from multiple IPs use the acct at the same time. That may be one situation where a larger number of allowed connections would help.

My rule of thumb is start at 2 connections and add 1 connection per additional 2 MB of max speed allowed by your broadband plan.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 AM   #103
gsorel

Quote:
I use easynews which is pretty expensive
Easynews has launched a Summer Special !

The Easynews Summer Special includes up to 100 gig of free downloads over 14 days
gsorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #104
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
My ISP's provider of choice (NewsHosting) limits the total number of connections to 4. I've had occasion where SABnzbd tries to open a new connection to get an article before an old connection completely closes. As a result, I get "Too many connection" messages in SABnzbd. About a month ago, NewsHosting restricted my account. The following is the support correspondence with NewsHosting:

Quote:
Thank you for the information. The service you are using allows for 4 connections to be established at any given time. Opening more than the allotted 4 connections can result in our system temporarily restricting the excessive connection attempts. We have made sure the restriction for your IP have been removed, however you will want to check your newsreader and make sure you have ONLY 4 connections configured. Having more than 4 connections may result in the same scenario you just experienced.
and my reply:
Quote:
Anecdotally, I have found that these and similar problems can arise when a connection doesn't close in a timely manner. So even with a limit of four connections set in the client, the server may still see greater than four connections, including the still to be closed/closing connections on the server side. It is not uncommon for me to receive an error indicating "Too many connections" from my client, despite the server connection configuration is and has always been set to four. I would believe these to be errors on the client-side with not waiting for an acknowledgement from the server that a connection has successfully closed before attempting to open a new connection. Unless of course the server doesn't (by design) send an acknowledgment? Being merely a user, I'm not very knowledgeable with the technical details of the nntp protocol.
No further replies came from NewsHosting regarding Server-side acknowledgements...
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #105
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Am I SOL if a file is too damaged to be repaired, short of resorting to torrents?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #106
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
Am I SOL if a file is too damaged to be repaired, short of resorting to torrents?
Not enough PAR files? More than likely, yep, SOL. I've had found (but damaged) files, not enough PARs for repair, and switched my "backup" (read: paid) and "primary" (read: free) servers, then redownloaded and replaced the damaged file with success. Is that an option you could try?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #107
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

Quote:
Yeah, Game of Thrones episode 2 is corrupt.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #108
Malcontent

Quote:
Many usenet users buy a usenet block to use as a backup. They configure their usenet client to use the usenet block account as a backup server. The client will try downloading the missing/damaged parts from the backup server in hopes of getting the complete file. If the file was corrupted while being uploaded then it most likely is damaged on all usenet servers. Other times using the backup server will allow you to get the file intact. But it's no guarantee.

The important thing is to choose a back up usenet provider that is different then your primary usenet provider. In other words, if your using a Highwinds provider don't use a backup that is a Highwinds reseller. Newshosting, Usenetserver, Newsdemon, Thundernews, ect. are all Highwinds. Use two of these providers won't give you an independent backup.

Reliable backup providers are Blocknews.net and Astraweb.com. Users generally buy a usenet block from either of these two. They have the best completion out there. Both are different providers and are not Highwinds.

Last edited by Malcontent : 06-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #109
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
Yeah, Game of Thrones episode 2 is corrupt.
HBO, content is target by DMCA take down notices on Highwinds and Giganews usenet providers. If you download new HBO stuff quickly then it's no problem. But if you try downloading at a later date, then it can be an issue.

Blocknews.net, Usenetnow.net and Astaweb.com currently don't have much if any trouble with DMCA take downs.

Buying a block account to use a backup when you run into DMCA problems can help. Blocknews.net and Astraweb.com sell block accounts. Most usenet clients allow you to set up a second usenet account as a backup server. The client will try downloading the missing parts from the backup server automatically. Many times this allows you to get the file successfully.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #110
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Many usenet users buy a usenet block to use as a backup. They configure their usenet client to use the usenet block account as a backup server. The client will try downloading the missing/damaged parts from the backup server in hopes of getting the complete file. If the file was corrupted while being uploaded then it most likely is damaged on all usenet servers. Other times using the backup server will allow you to get the file intact. But it's no guarantee.

The important thing is to choose a back up usenet provider that is different then your primary usenet provider. In other words, if your using a Highwinds provider don't use a backup that is a Highwinds reseller. Newshosting, Usenetserver, Newsdemon, Thundernews, ect. are all Highwinds. Use two of these providers won't give you an independent backup.

Reliable backup providers are Blocknews.net and Astraweb.com. Users generally buy a usenet block from either of these two. They have the best completion out there. Both are different providers and are not Highwinds.
I've tried a Highwinds reseller and Blocknews, same result.

TVTorrents has the same show available, is there a way to just download the missing stuff from TVTorrents and combine it with what I have already downloaded?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #111
Malcontent

Quote:
I've tried a Highwinds reseller and Blocknews, same result.

TVTorrents has the same show available, is there a way to just download the missing stuff from TVTorrents and combine it with what I have already downloaded?
I'm afraid that you can't do that. Torrents and Usenet kind of like apples and oranges.

Have you tried maybe downloading a different version of the show? Say if the standard definition version is damaged then try downloading the HD version. Or vice/versa. Maybe try searching for different releases of the same episode.

Out of curiosity what is the show your trying to get? If it's damaged on Blocknews, then most likely it was a bad posting in the first place.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #112
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
I'm afraid that you can't do that. Torrents and Usenet kind of like apples and oranges.

Have you tried maybe downloading a different version of the show? Say if the standard definition version is damaged then try downloading the HD version. Or vice/versa. Maybe try searching for different releases of the same episode.

Out of curiosity what is the show your trying to get? If it's damaged on Blocknews, then most likely it was a bad posting in the first place.
Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. It's a series that aired from 1998-2001. It was posted to Usenet 726 days ago. I'll probably just get it from torrents, I've already wasted enough time (and bandwidth) for a show that probably isn't as good as I remember it.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #113
Malcontent

Quote:
Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. It's a series that aired from 1998-2001. It was posted to Usenet 726 days ago. I'll probably just get it from torrents, I've already wasted enough time (and bandwidth) for a show that probably isn't as good as I remember it.
That is a rather obscure tv show from the 90's. Not really popular enough to get reposted on usenet. From what I remember of it, not that good of a show. But to each their own.

I thought you were having trouble with a more recent/current show. I was a little puzzled when you said you had problems with it on Blocknews. Blocknews usually has the best completion.

After a quick check the original posting of this series was messed up to begin with. Who ever posted it never bothered to fix his upload of this series. Since the show isn't that popular it never got reposted.

In this situation, torrents my be the way to go to get this tv series.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #114
Azlen

Quote:
That is a rather obscure tv show from the 90's. Not really popular enough to get reposted on usenet. From what I remember of it, not that good of a show. But to each their own.
Still maybe of interest because Ryan Reynolds was in it and it was Nathan Fillion's first regular prime time TV job. I also thought Jillan Bach was kinda cute.

Last edited by Azlen : 06-16-2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammar
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #115
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Still maybe of interest because Ryan Reynolds was in it and it was Nathan Fillion's first regular prime time TV job. I also thought the Jillan Bach was kinda cute.
From what I can tell, this series hasn't been released on DVD yet. Any copies out there are recordings made by viewers.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #116
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Still maybe of interest because Ryan Reynolds was in it and it was Nathan Fillion's first regular prime time TV job. I also thought Jillan Bach was kinda cute.
Not to mention Traylor Howard as the girl.

Quote:
From what I can tell, this series hasn't been released on DVD yet. Any copies out there are recordings made by viewers.
There seems to be 2 torrents out there for this show. One is 8gb (the same files as the one that didn't complete on usenet) and a 14gb one. The 14gb doesn't appear to be very well seeded as it would take 1-2 weeks to get. The 8gb one is at both TVTorrents and Demonoid and looks like I could get it within a day. I'll have to wait either way, since I'm getting close to my Comcast cap
Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #117
cditty

Is there any way to get sabnbzb to better filter duplicates? So far, I've gotten the last ep of Game of Thrones 3 times now. I'm only using NZBMatrix as a source.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #118
innocentfreak

Quote:
Is there any way to get sabnbzb to better filter duplicates? So far, I've gotten the last ep of Game of Thrones 3 times now. I'm only using NZBMatrix as a source.
Any reason you just don't use Sickbeard? It seems like it would be 100x simpler.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #119
Malcontent

Quote:
Are you using RSS feeds?

Might try and tweak your filters on your feed. Maybe be more specific on show names/releases.

Under SABnzbd Configuration:

Switches / Queue / "Detect Duplicate Downloads" - Discard

Another shout out for "Sickbeard". It's the closest you can get to Tivo like functionality.

Last edited by Malcontent : 06-16-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #120
danterner
Not it!

+1 for Sickbeard.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote