TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #61
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
They are having a marathon today. I just caught the pilot ep. I have never watched the show before so I started recording and have it set for the rest of the day. What a great pilot! I see now why it is a hit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #62
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Yeah, it's a fun little show.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #63
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
They are having a marathon today. I just caught the pilot ep. I have never watched the show before so I started recording and have it set for the rest of the day. What a great pilot! I see now why it is a hit.
It's four experienced professionals working together. It works because they don't care who gets the laughs as long as someone does.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #64
sieglinde

They originally weren't going to use Betty White as much but kept her as a regular, thank goodness. I think the show is better for it.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #65
DougF

The first season is available on Netflix WI. We watched the first two episodes a couple of months ago. My wife liked it but I was indifferent. We haven't tried anymore since. Got hooked on "Mad Men" shortly after.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #66
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
They originally weren't going to use Betty White as much but kept her as a regular, thank goodness. I think the show is better for it.
Oh totally. It really makes the quartet.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #67
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's the Golden Girls. Only 3 of them are not so Golden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #68
sieglinde

Lol!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #69
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Betty's doing the "Top 10" on Letterman tonite (6/13)...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #70
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

The best part of the new episode?

YODER!!!!!!

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #71
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
The best part of the new episode?

YODER!!!!!!
Yes! "As he walked in and it was a nod to "NORM!!"

I liked Victoria churning butter. I was waiting for some comment about that being like sex with her third husband or something. Then thought that was too risque. Even for them.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #72
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Yes! "As he walked in and it was a nod to "NORM!!"
They even used the same camera angle and he sat at the same spot at the bar as in Cheers. It was a great moment and well done!

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #73
astrohip
Stuart F

Last night's episode, and Season Finale, was "Love Is All Around", S4E23. It was basically a Mary Tyler Moore reunion (with a HiC story wrapped around it). HiC regulars Betty White and Georgia Engel, along with Mary Tyler Moore, Valerie Harper and Cloris Leachman.

I thought Valerie Harper looked great. So good my wife wondered whether her brain cancer situation (and remission) was a hoax. I am above such suspicious thoughts. Cloris Leachman also looked great.

But MTM... Yikes! WTF happened? I assume some terrible plastic surgery; I don't know what else can cause such facial disfigurement, unless she has some strange illness. I thought it was ironic that a minor plot on this episode was Melanie dating a plastic surgeon.

I'll never understand why people can't be happy getting old gracefully. Maybe some very modest tucks if you have a specific issue (turkey jowls, bad crow's eyes maybe). But she looked like the typical image you see of someone who has had some terrible work done on her.

Nonetheless, it was *great* seeing them again. And the cutaway with the cat...

My wife & I love this show. Yes, we are of a certain age, but trying to be unbiased here, these women know how to act. They can run rings around so many of today's "stars". Their timing, their delivery... just watch Betty White to see how a line should be delivered.

TVLand news: HiC renewed for another season, The Exes renewed also. The Exes actually built their audience this year, and had the highest ratings of its run. Happily Divorced was not renewed.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #74
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
But MTM... Yikes! WTF happened? I assume some terrible plastic surgery; I don't know what else can cause such facial disfigurement, unless she has some strange illness. I thought it was ironic that a minor plot on this episode was Melanie dating a plastic surgeon.

I'll never understand why people can't be happy getting old gracefully. Maybe some very modest tucks if you have a specific issue (turkey jowls, bad crow's eyes maybe). But she looked like the typical image you see of someone who has had some terrible work done on her.
I think the way MTM looks now is a product of two things:

1) She had cosmetic surgery many years ago. That's why her mouth seemed so wide she has looked like a Pez dispenser for years.

2) Diabetes. She has it and has been a champion for Diabetes research for decades.

I think these two things, along with just plain aging, makes her look the way she does now.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #75
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

This show is amazingly consistently funny and is one of my faves.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #76
Ereth

Minor nit -- that wasn't the season finale. There was a second episode aired with Victorias wedding that was the season finale. The Mary Tyler Moore reunion was the next-to-last episode. We got two Hot In Clevelands last night.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #77
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikhem View Post
I'll give it one more episode before I delete the season pass.
Are you still watching?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #78
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I enjoy this show. It's like going back in time to simple 80's sitcoms. It's funny stuff and I don't have to think.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #79
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Still watching this show. Loved the Mary Tyler Moore reunion. They even included the little kitten who was the icon for the MTM Enterprises logo, although it was clearly animatronic and quite a bit older looking.

"People glued to their TV sets on Saturday nights." Heh.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #80
sharkster

Happily Divorced got the ax? I know it's not great TV, but I really like Fran D, so I would have kept watching.

Anyway - as to HIC, I continue to enjoy this show. I think it's mostly because of all the tv sitcom royalty. The MTM episode was ok, albeit kind of strange. Seems that MTM must be having some additional health issues, as you never saw her out of the chair. Cloris and Valerie looked awesome.

I like that they brought Georgia Engel in, presumably, as a regular cast member to play off Betty White. Those two are great together.

I will watch this show as long as it airs. It's just sitcom silliness, but then that is enough for me as far as a sitcom goes. I tend to watch some of them for the people starring and this show is full of sitcom greats.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #81
VegasVic
Craps Player

Is this on Netflix?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #82
Langree
The Gimp

MTM's face actually looked like she's had a stroke/palsy of some kind, her eyes were "off".

They all looked good for their age, it was fun to watch them "play" together.

Chloris Leachman looks good, I've gotten so used to seeing her as Maw Maw.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #83
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Is this on Netflix?
The earlier seasons are.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #84
VegasVic
Craps Player

Cool, I'd like to start watching
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #85
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
MTM's face actually looked like she's had a stroke/palsy of some kind, her eyes were "off".

They all looked good for their age, it was fun to watch them "play" together.

Chloris Leachman looks good, I've gotten so used to seeing her as Maw Maw.
Valerie Harper sounded like she had been smoking for years. I wondered if something happened there. And yes, Mary's face/eyes looked off.

I did like that they had the two ladies that were best friends in the show be the ones that were at odds in this episode.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #86
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Happily Divorced got the ax? I know it's not great TV, but I really like Fran D, so I would have kept watching.
I never watched The Nanny, but I did enjoy HD. The article I read said viewership was slowly dropping, and had fallen below 1MM. So no renew.

Of the three TVLand shows I watch, it was my least favorite. HiC is #1, The Exes is #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Anyway - as to HIC, I continue to enjoy this show. I think it's mostly because of all the tv sitcom royalty. The MTM episode was ok, albeit kind of strange. Seems that MTM must be having some additional health issues, as you never saw her out of the chair. Cloris and Valerie looked awesome.

I like that they brought Georgia Engel in, presumably, as a regular cast member to play off Betty White. Those two are great together.

I will watch this show as long as it airs. It's just sitcom silliness, but then that is enough for me as far as a sitcom goes. I tend to watch some of them for the people starring and this show is full of sitcom greats.
This. This. And this.

I love the guest stars they get. It's clear from the sheer variety of them that an invite to appear on HiC is usually well received.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #87
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I never watched The Nanny, but I did enjoy HD. The article I read said viewership was slowly dropping, and had fallen below 1MM. So no renew.

If you like HD, you would love The Nanny. HD was full of Nanny references and actors. Both shows were produced by her and her husband (now ex husband).

The Nanny is one of those shows I never get tired of. It's like a perfect combination of I Love Lucy and Who's The Boss.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #88
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Best line, said about MTM: Looks like she made it after all!

Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #89
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

BUMP.

Still loving this show. I think it's in my top 5. I can't wait for season 6!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #90
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

This season seemed to have WAY more episodes than previous ones (perhaps because it was stretched out over more than six months). And one ep they could have certainly done without was the animated one. Other than that, we enjoyed it...

XL4