Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #151
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
What, exactly, is the safe zone?
The safe zone is an area around the perimeter of the screen that you can be reasonably sure will be displayed. Some TV's cut off the edges due to overscan. This potentially cut-off area is the unsafe zone - everything else is the safe zone.

BTW - I made your requested changes to version 0.4c now available on git.

I was able to move the thumbnail down about 20 pixels, but I also added logic to calculate the size of the description view based on the font size. Now it should only show full lines of text and it should not impinge on the thumbnail (and vice-versa). Incidentally, these two views only overlapped by a single pixel before this fix; the situation was exacerbated by the fact that the description view height was just an arbitrary value, and it was only showing the top half of a line of text.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #152
jbernardis

Quote:
Probably both of these should be configurable, as their proper values depend on font size.
Although there is presently no way to configure the positions of things on the screen, you CAN configure the description font size via a value in the config.ini.

In the vidmgr section of the file, add a line such as:
descsize=16

The default value is 20. I know 20 might cause an overflow of the current description view, but I deemed that as acceptable since the full meta data is now available by pressing the info key.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #153
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

I respectfully suggest that - even if you feel it's easier in the discussions to use the term "pyhme" - your docs should use the correct name "hmeforpython" (or "HME for Python") so it's easier to find the necessary external stuff. Speaking as someone who hasn't been hanging around TC for a while, I can say a Google search for "pyhme" is not particularly enlightening.

If you choose to release this, I also suggest you consider adding a configuration file toggle that could disable the "delete" functionality.

Thanks for making this! It seems to work well, and it's certainly snappier than streambaby (and likely doesn't have the memory leak issues, being based on python rather than java).

Last edited by westside_guy : 06-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #154
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
I respectfully suggest that - even if you feel it's easier in the discussions to use the term "pyhme" - your docs should use the correct name "hmeforpython" (or "HME for Python") so it's easier to find the necessary external stuff. Speaking as someone who hasn't been hanging around TC for a while, I can say a Google search for "pyhme" is not particularly enlightening.

If you choose to release this, I also suggest you consider adding a configuration file toggle that could disable the "delete" functionality.

Thanks for making this! It seems to work well, and it's certainly snappier than streambaby (and likely doesn't have the memory leak issues, being based on python rather than java).
Glad you like it. I will take the delete toggle feature into consideration. Seems like a good idea.

I agree that with the many changes that have gone into the program, there is not one place that provides adeqaute documentation. I should simply consolidate everything into one place rather than just have a running log.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #155
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Glad you like it. I will take the delete toggle feature into consideration. Seems like a good idea.
My personal bias is to always err towards caution - but that's just me.

For my own use I just did a quick-and-dirty edit to your code, so I don't have to worry about the kid accidentally deleting the file (or thinking "of course I want to remove it from the Tivo, I'm done watching!"). I didn't even bother removing the button - it just says "no can do" if they hit delete (and simply plays the "bonk" sound if they manage to hit thumbs up and get into the script anyway).

Anyway, thanks again! Seriously, it's so-ooo nice to have a quick and responsive UI for this.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #156
jbernardis

I just posted version 0.5 (we're halfway to 1.0) onto git.

I incorporated westside_guy's idea of having a config option to disable delete functionality, but I made MANY other changes as well:

-As stated, I added the ability to specify deleteallowed=False in the config file to prevent file deletions

-I formalized the skin concept. Now skins are kept in separate directories under the skins directory (e.g. skins/blue), and the directory you want to use for a skin is named in the config file (e.g. skin=blue). ALso, changed the
image loading logic such that if the HD version of an image does not exist, then it will use the SD version of that file. This solved the situation where there were duplicate files just to satisfy a naming convention.

-I moved metadata.py into the vidmgr directory. It didn't belong up in the pyhme directory and I never liked having it up there. I was too unfamiliar with python to know how to specify to look in the vidmgr subdirectory
to find the file (it turns out I didn't need to do anything - python found it!!)

-I split README.txt into README.txt and changelog.txt. changelog.txt will contain the change history, and README will be maintained as the always current description of the application

-I fixed the positioning bug in 0.4c where the "Push" button was over top of the bottom line of the description.

Perhaps the easiest way to install all of this over a present installation is to save your config file, and if you have a custom skin, save all of the png files. Delete the vidmgr subdirectory tree, move this package into its place, create a directory for your custom skin under skins (if you had one) and then add your desired skin to the config.ini file. Also, if you do not want delete enabled, set that flag to false.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #157
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

This is really cool - thank you for sharing your work with us!

It's amazing what a great group of "community devs" we have - what with pyTivo/X, tivodecode, streambaby, kttmg, the other sundry apps wmcbrine continues to develop, your great new tool, etc. etc. We're very lucky to have all of you guys letting us enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #158
lrhorer

Quote:
I second that. Although I have not yet deleted a show on the server accidentally, I don't really ever want to do so, at least not from a TiVo. The other way around, yes, but deleting a file on the server from a TiVo? Uh-uh. For safety I would prefer to have the ability to disable the feature.

Edit - Oh I see you've already done it. You're just too efficient!
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #159
lrhorer

Quote:
The only thing I explicitly leave out are the isEpisode and isEpisodic flags. I have a dictionary in the program to translate tags into a friendlier name, but If I don't find a label in that dictionary, I just use the label as is. Every tag except for the two mentioned above will be displayed. Also, I force Title, seriesTitle, episodeTitle, and description to the top of the display.
I vote to also force the "movieYear" field to the top, between the titles and the description, followed by director(s), writer(s), and then description, followed by the actors. For me, at least, I would also find the info more readable if there were a blank line between the writer(s) and the description, and another between the description and the actors.

Quote:
If there are tags that you think I should ignore, translate into a friendlier name, or force to the front, give me your thoughts. The entire thing is based on a dictionary and two lists. It would be easy to extend or change.
The two following fields show up in some of the metafiles, and I have no idea what they are. I think they can be suppressed:

Showing Bits
Display Major Number
Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #160
jcthorne

Showing Bits maps to the atributes Closed Captioned, Stereo, Subtitles, Joined in Progress, SAP, 3D, Letterbox, the various advisories for language, violance, nudity. These could be useful to some but I do not use them. Maping info for this is in one of the pytivo metadata threads over on pytivo forum but its been a long time. WMcBrine would know for sure.

Display Major Number is related to channel number it was recorded from.

I would second the request for movie year to display after the title but before the discription. Also the movie star rating (1 star to 5 stars)

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #161
jcthorne

I got 0.5 installed today and it looks great. Love the new features. I updated my custom skin, placed it in a directory as stated and it worked perfectly. Had to add a few new graphics for the new elements but since your skins use easy to work with file types, was no trouble.

I do now have a request that came from my wife flipping through TV shows. She is good a pointing out the obvious....

In my directory structure I have a folder for each tv series. IE NCIS. Under that are a set of folders for each season and in each season folder are the episodes with thier meta data and graphics.

I also have placed a folder.jpg in the series folder and each season folder. Would be great if vidmgr displayed those jpgs when the folder is highlighted. That way the show cover art is displayed when its title is highlighted rather than no art until the episode is selected 3 levels in. IE its as simple as when a folder is highlighed, display the folder.jpg contained in that folder if it exists. Thanks for considering this, look forward to what you come up with next.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #162
jbernardis

One important step I forgot to mention about installing 0.5 - don't forget to remove the metadata.py (and metadata.pyc) from the pyhme directory. The new home for these files is in the vidmgr directory. Right now, the files would be the same, so if you forget to delete the pyhme copy, no harm done. However, if this file ever changes, the changes will only be delivered to the copy in the vidmgr directory. That means you will have two identically named files with different content, and I'm not sure which one python will use - best simply to delete the copy in the pyhme directory.

Regarding the requested changes to the metadata in the info screen, it seems that everybody wants something different, so I think I'm going to add these lists to the config file - that way you'll get exactly what you want.

I am also looking into the folder thumbnail ides - I like it.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #163
windracer
joined the 10k club

Lovin' 0.5, nice work!

I did notice that the changelog.txt file doesn't seem to exist in git yet?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #164
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I did notice that the changelog.txt file doesn't seem to exist in git yet?
I forgot to include changelog - I forgot to make the changes to my build.xml to stage this file for delivery too, but you'll find it now, because.....

I have just posted 0.5a in git. In addition to now including the changelog, I have also implemented the recently requested changes. You can place metaignore= and metafirst= lines in the config file to override the default values for metadata that is either ignored or placed first in the display.

Also, thumbnails are now displayed for directories. It looks for a file named folder.jpg either in that directory or in the .meta subdirectory.

As I was posting, it hit me that the new directory thumbnail logic does not apply to shares. Many people use shares differently than I do. I have a single share that has subdirectories in it, so thumbnails there didn't make sense, but I know that some people have a different share for each show - in which case showing thumbnails for the share makes sense. It should be able to easily add it if it's wanted.

Jeff

Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #165
lrhorer

Quote:
I have just posted 0.5a in git. In addition to now including the changelog, I have also implemented the recently requested changes. You can place metaignore= and metafirst= lines in the config file to override the default values for metadata that is either ignored or placed first in the display.
Oh, excellent! What about the ability to insert spaces?

Quote:
Also, thumbnails are now displayed for directories. It looks for a file named folder.jpg either in that directory or in the .meta subdirectory.
Let me make sure I have this straight. If the file name precisely "folder.jpg", or is it <folder>.jpg, where <folder> is the name of the directory? In the case of a .meta subdirectory, that is a subdirectory of <folder>, right, not in the vidmgr directory?

Quote:
As I was posting, it hit me that the new directory thumbnail logic does not apply to shares. Many people use shares differently than I do. I have a single share that has subdirectories in it, so thumbnails there didn't make sense, but I know that some people have a different share for each show - in which case showing thumbnails for the share makes sense. It should be able to easily add it if it's wanted.
Well, I have more than 1 share, but I don't have a share for every show, or even a share for every genre, so my usage more closely resembles yours, but I can see how some people would make use of the feature.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #166
jbernardis

Quote:
Oh, excellent! What about the ability to insert spaces?
Not yet - I am thinking about how to do that. I have an idea, but haven't started implementing yet. I am thinking about adding metaspace= to the config file. You'd name metadata items after which you'd like to have a space.

Quote:
Let me make sure I have this straight. If the file name precisely "folder.jpg", or is it <folder>.jpg, where <folder> is the name of the directory? In the case of a .meta subdirectory, that is a subdirectory of <folder>, right, not in the vidmgr directory?
the file is literally named folder.jpg - NOT the directory name, and the .meta directory is within the folder itself, not in the vidmgr directory

Quote:
Well, I have more than 1 share, but I don't have a share for every show, or even a share for every genre, so my usage more closely resembles yours, but I can see how some people would make use of the feature.
I'm already well along adding this feature. It will be there in the next release.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #167
lew

Quote:
-As stated, I added the ability to specify deleteallowed=False in the config file to prevent file deletions
Thank you. I didn't ask for it but I'll use it.

It's a shame there isn't a way to select PyTivo Video Manager from either the main tivo menu or from the Now Playing list.

I doubt it can be done, at least on a stock tivo, but it would be nice to replace the add on the main tivo menu with your application.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #168
lrhorer

TiVo needs to look at this application to see what the NPL should should be like, user configurations and all. This is looking better and better by the day - by the hour almost.

One more question / request: Does the content text from the metafile have to be so far over to the right on the info screen? There's a big gap between the field name and the field text. This not only makes the fields longer, it makes it harder to read. Adding the blank line for which I have asked will help, but moving the text to the left will help even more.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #169
lrhorer

Could you see your way to program a paged jump based on a number press? Thus, pressing the 1 button would take the user 1/10th the way down the current list, 2 will take the user 2/10s down the list, etc? With some of these shares and share folders having titles numbering in the hundreds and even the thousands, being able to jump only to the beginning the end, or up / down 14 titles doesn't really cut it, sometimes.

(I don't suppose we could get more than 14 titles on the screen?)

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-13-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #170
rrr22777

Where do I put the contents of config.merge? I dont have config.ini. Running everything on linux.

ERRORyTivo:hmeserver - 'type'
ERRORyTivoytivos - 'type'
ERRORyTivo:tivos - 'type'
ERRORyTivo:vidmgr - 'type'
INFOyTivo:192.168.0.250 [13/Jun/2011 13:10:10] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #171
windracer
joined the 10k club

Just rename it to be config.ini and put it in the main folder where you have HME for Python installed (one level up from vidmgr). You only need to "merge" that info if you have an existing config.ini file.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #172
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Just rename it to be config.ini and put it in the main folder where you have HME for Python installed (one level up from vidmgr). You only need to "merge" that info if you have an existing config.ini file.
Be aware though - if you are running without a config.ini, that means it is simply running All apps that it finds. If you want this to continue, make sure you do NOT have an apps line in the config file - if you do, then pyhme will run ONLY the named apps.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #173
jbernardis

Version 0.5b is now on git.

I added the following:

- thumbnails are now displayed for shares as well as for directories. The same rules - just put folder.jpg in the root of the share or in a .meta directory that lives there.

- added "metaspace=" to the config file to indicate if a blank line should be added to the display after the named metadata items. The default is an empty list.

- added "infolabelpercent=" to config file to specify the width of the label on the info screen. This value should be expressed as a percent. The default value is 30, but I have found that 20 works OK for HD screens

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #174
jbernardis

Quote:
Could you see your way to program a paged jump based on a number press? Thus, pressing the 1 button would take the user 1/10th the way down the current list, 2 will take the user 2/10s down the list, etc? With some of these shares and share folders having titles numbering in the hundreds and even the thousands, being able to jump only to the beginning the end, or up / down 14 titles doesn't really cut it, sometimes.

(I don't suppose we could get more than 14 titles on the screen?)
Great idea - I never thought about it with my directories having at most 15 or 20 videos. It should be easy to do - let me think about it for a bit. I may call on you to do some testing since you have such huge directories.

I think 14 is as many as we're going to see with the current layout.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #175
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr22777 View Post
Where do I put the contents of config.merge? I dont have config.ini. Running everything on linux.

ERRORyTivo:hmeserver - 'type'
ERRORyTivoytivos - 'type'
ERRORyTivo:tivos - 'type'
ERRORyTivo:vidmgr - 'type'
INFOyTivo:192.168.0.250 [13/Jun/2011 13:10:10] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
Silly web conference software... FYI, the software interprets the sequence ":" and then "p" as a smiley face. To avoid this, put such sequences in a code frame:

Code:
ERROR:pyTivo:hmeserver - 'type'
ERROR:pyTivo:pytivos - 'type'
ERROR:pyTivo:tivos - 'type'
ERROR:pyTivo:vidmgr - 'type'
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.0.250 [13/Jun/2011 13:10:10] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -[/quote]

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #176
lrhorer

Quote:
Version 0.5b is now on git.
You are just too cool.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #177
lrhorer

Quote:
Great idea - I never thought about it with my directories having at most 15 or 20 videos.
My largest has 1893 and counting.

Now that you mention, it (OK, OK, I mentioned it), is there any code optimization that could take place when writing the cache? The first time one enters a large directory, it takes quite a while - nearly a minute.

Quote:
It should be easy to do - let me think about it for a bit. I may call on you to do some testing since you have such huge directories.
Of course! I'd be more than happy to help with development testing. You can PM me or I can provide you with FTP access to my main website.

Quote:
I think 14 is as many as we're going to see with the current layout.
Yeah, I figured. It would proabbly require a smaller font. I also personally don't care about the safe zone, but both could be problematical for people with smaller, less "overscanned" TVs, and you need to consider that. Of course, providing a user-defined variable that allows the user to break the rules would be a reasonable compromise, but it also probably means a headache for the developer. That would be you.

It never hurts to ask, though.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #178
lrhorer

Something's wrong with the git. The download never happens.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #179
jbernardis

Quote:
Something's wrong with the git. The download never happens.
You're right - I think it must be their site, I was able to retrieve it just fine with firefox though - just IE gave me problems

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #180
jbernardis

Quote:
Now that you mention, it (OK, OK, I mentioned it), is there any code optimization that could take place when writing the cache? The first time one enters a large directory, it takes quite a while - nearly a minute.
I have to think about a caching method. I made a conscious decision early that I was going to treat the directories as volatile information; I do no real caching in the program - hme provides a bit, but I simply read the entire directory every time I enter it. Perhaps it's faster the second time because of hme and/or os caching.

This will be a tough one.