TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #121
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The HME protocol only speaks UTF-8 (or ASCII, which is a proper subset of UTF-8). It's not meaningful to say "using the filenames verbatim" -- verbatim in what character set? In Windows, that's usually Windows-1252 (a minor variant of Latin-1), if you're using the 8-bit APIs. Throw that at the TiVo, and it will barf.

pyTivo mostly uses Unicode APIs -- except, for certain things, in Windows -- but uses UTF-8 internally to save memory.
SO I guess there's nothing to do with this filename except manually change it like the original poster did. I should also probably put a try block around the unicode call. All of this begs the question, then, about the OP saying this file worked for him in pytivo. How did pytivo handle it if the filename violates the TiVo specs?
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #122
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
SO I guess there's nothing to do with this filename except manually change it like the original poster did.
What? No, no, no. Either read it with a Unicode call -- in Python, you do this by passing a Unicode path to os.listdir(), for example -- or else recognize the 8-bit character set that's being used, or just assume it, and convert appropriately.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #123
dcrowell77

Quote:
When you use the pytivo web interface and push a video, what does the resultant web page look like? Mine looks like this:

Code:
Queued for Push to Master Bedroom

/Movies/Family/Disney/Shorts/Day and Night.mp4

The page will reload in 5 seconds.
vidmgr basically uses the same HTTP interface to make its push request, and then literally looks for the string 'queue' in a case insensitive manner in the response. If it finds 1 or more occurrences, it assumes that the push went OK. Otherwise it gives the above generic error message.

Perhaps you are using an different version of pytivo where the wording is different? Try it with a browser and let me know what you get. I can perhaps make the code accept additional text to indicate a success.
I grabbed the console output from pytivo during the attempt that worked but indicated a failure. I didn't notice any messages using the web interface.

Code:
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:CACHE HIT! V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec mpeg2video not compatible, V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec mpeg2video not compatible, V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:Pushing http://192.168.1.7:9032/TV%20Shows/Burn%20Notice/Burn%20Notice%20-%20205%20-%20Scatter%20Point.mpg
DEBUG:pyTivo.mind:__login
{'cams_security_domain': 'tivocom', 'cams_login_config': 'http', 'cams_cb_password': 'd4a1n14c', 'cams_original_url': '/mind/mind7?type=infoGet', 'cams_cb_username': 'daniel.crowell@gmail.com'}
DEBUG:pyTivo.mind:pcBodySearch
{}

<pcBodyList><isBottom>true</isBottom><isTop>true</isTop><pcBody><bucketNumber>-1</bucketNumber><levelOfDetail>low</levelOfDetail><name>pyTivo</name><pcBodyId>tivo:pc.1001335731</pcBodyId><type>pcBody</type></pcBody></pcBodyList>g
DEBUG:pyTivo.mind:pcBodySearch
{}

<pcBodyList><isBottom>true</isBottom><isTop>true</isTop><pcBody><bucketNumber>-1</bucketNumber><levelOfDetail>low</levelOfDetail><name>pyTivo</name><pcBodyId>tivo:pc.1001335731</pcBodyId><type>pcBody</type></pcBody></pcBodyList>g
DEBUG:pyTivo.mind:bodyOfferModify&bodyId=tsn:65200018042EBC4
{'description': '', 'title': 'Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point', 'url': 'http://192.168.1.7:9032/TV%20Shows/Burn%20Notice/Burn%20Notice%20-%20205%20-%20Scatter%20Point.mpg?Format=video/mpeg', 'pcBodyId': 'tivo:pc.1001335731', 'bodyId': 'tsn:65200018042EBC4', 'publishDate': '2011-05-31 03:1241', 'source': 'SH924844', 'state': 'complete', 'partnerId': 'tivo:pt.3187', 'duration': 3595, 'encodingType': 'mpeg2ProgramStream', 'size': 1783300643}

<bodyOffer><bodyId>tsn:65200018042EBC4</bodyId><bodyOfferId>tivo:bo.15028161</bodyOfferId><createDate>2011-05-31 03:12:39</createDate><description /><duration>3595</duration><encodingType>mpeg2ProgramStream</encodingType><levelOfDetail>high</levelOfDetail><offerId>tivo:of.bs.15028161</offerId><partnerId>tivo:pt.3187</partnerId><pcBodyId>tivo:pc.1001335731</pcBodyId><publishDate>2011-05-31 23:41:00</publishDate><size>1783300643</size><source>SH924844</source><state>complete</state><title>Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point</title><updateDate>2011-05-31 03:12:39</updateDate><url>http://192.168.1.7:9032/TV%20Shows/Burn%20Notice/Burn%20Notice%20-%20205%20-%20Scatter%20Point.mpg?Format=video/mpeg</url></bodyOffer>g
DEBUG:pyTivo.mind:subscribe&bodyId=tsn:65200018042EBC4
{'uiType': 'cds', 'idSetSource': {'contentId': 'tivo:ct.bs.15028161', 'type': 'singleOfferSource', 'offerId': 'tivo:of.bs.15028161'}, 'bodyId': 'tsn:65200018042EBC4', 'title': 'pcBodySubscription'}

<subscribeResult><subscription><autoRecord>true</autoRecord><bodyGeneratesCandidates>false</bodyGeneratesCandidates><bodyId>tsn:65200018042EBC4</bodyId><hdOnly>false</hdOnly><idSetSource><contentId>tivo:ct.bs.15028161</contentId><offerId>tivo:of.bs.15028161</offerId><type>singleOfferSource</type></idSetSource><isAdult>false</isAdult><isForKids>false</isForKids><levelOfDetail>high</levelOfDetail><showStatus>rerunsAllowed</showStatus><subscriptionId>tivo:sb.15028531</subscriptionId><title>pcBodySubscription</title><type>subscription</type><uiType>cds</uiType></subscription></subscribeResult>g
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.7 [30/May/2011 22:12:43] "POST /TivoConnect HTTP/1.0" 302
-
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.7 [30/May/2011 22:12:43] "GET /None HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.4 [30/May/2011 22:13:08] "GET /TV%20Shows/Burn%20Notice/Burn%20Notice%20-%20205%20-%20Scatter%20Point.mpg?Format=video%2Fmpeg HTTP/1.1" 206 -
DEBUG:pyTivo.video.video:V:\Videos\TV\Burn Notice\Burn Notice - 205 - Scatter Point.mpg is tivo compatible

dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #124
jbernardis

Here are the relevant lines from my pytivo log when I do a push.
Code:
2011-05-30 21:47:50,014 INFO  pyTivo.video.video: [30/May/2011 21:47:50] Queued "/media/Videos/Movies/Family/Disney/Shorts/Day and Night.mp4" for Push to Master Bedroom
2011-05-30 21:47:50,015 INFO  pyTivo: 192.168.1.124 [30/May/2011 21:47:50] "POST /TiVoConnect HTTP/1.1" 200 -
Note 2 things: 1) there is a very definite Queued message in my log. I'm not sure why it's not in yours, and 2) My POST response is 200 which indicates success. Yours is 302 which means "Moved Temporarily". I'm not sure why yours gets the 302, but one question I'd have to ask is how recent your pytivo is? Maybe it's time to update it? Just a suggestion.

If I don't see a response from pytivo, I have to pretty much assume a failure. I guess I could go by the HTTP return code instead of the message, but I'm not sure if a 302 is a valid return code in this case. Can anybody offer an opinion here?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #125
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, pyTivo doesn't use 302 currently, but it used to. This was changed in Feb. 2010.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #126
jbernardis

I posted version 0.3a of the app on git. This addresses some of the issues reported here. The clear key no longer directly exits the app. That was actually an early debugging aid when I was testing deeply nested directories - I wanted a quick way out, and I just forgot to remove it.
Also, the advance key now takes you back to the beginning of a list if you're positioned at the end. Otherwise, it takes you to the end.
Also, I removed the calls to unicode from metadata.py. These are not filenames I am trying to send to the tivo - they are file names I am attempting to open locally in order to read the meta data out of them. I felt there was no need to process the file names as such. I'm sure if this causes issues we'll all hear about it here.

I have no additional information for how to proceed with the 302/200 HTTP return code and the missing queued message other than to advise people to update their pytivo installation. Also, someone wanted some kind of a "please wait" type of thing if the requested operation was going to be lengthy. I'm not saying no to that, but it's low on the to do list.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #127
reneg

Quote:
I posted version 0.3a of the app on git. This addresses some of the issues reported here. The clear key no longer directly exits the app. That was actually an early debugging aid when I was testing deeply nested directories - I wanted a quick way out, and I just forgot to remove it.
Also, the advance key now takes you back to the beginning of a list if you're positioned at the end. Otherwise, it takes you to the end.
Also, I removed the calls to unicode from metadata.py. These are not filenames I am trying to send to the tivo - they are file names I am attempting to open locally in order to read the meta data out of them. I felt there was no need to process the file names as such. I'm sure if this causes issues we'll all hear about it here.
No new issues here. Works great, thanks for the changes!
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #128
dcrowell77

Quote:
I have no additional information for how to proceed with the 302/200 HTTP return code and the missing queued message other than to advise people to update their pytivo installation.
I made an update and things are working better now. I do see the positive message and I haven't gotten an error.

Thanks!
dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #129
lrhorer

Quote:
Also, someone wanted some kind of a "please wait" type of thing if the requested operation was going to be lengthy. I'm not saying no to that, but it's low on the to do list.
OK. The other thing that hit me was the lack of a listing of the number of videos in a directory. PyTivo and Galleon both do this, and I like it.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #130
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
OK. The other thing that hit me was the lack of a listing of the number of videos in a directory. PyTivo and Galleon both do this, and I like it.
I'm at work just thinking about this one. I kind of like that idea too. Does it just show videos, and not subdirectories? Does it just show the number of videos in the immediate subdirectory and not in the entire subdirectory tree?

I could probably do videos in the immediate directory easily enough, but I wouldn't want to do the entire tree, not because it's tough, but because it could be expensive in terms of processing time. Would this suffice?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #131
jbernardis

Version 0.3b is now on git. A few changes:

1) I added a "please wait" graphic for long running operations - currently this includes pushing a video, deleting a video, and building a directory listing. The latter is not really necessary, but if your directories are large and have thumbnails, they could take a few seconds.
2) I added a file and directory count to directory and share names where they appear on the screen. (These two items at lrhorer's request)
3) I have provided an alternate set of graphics. They are in the skins/blue directory. Just drop all of the png files into the vidmgr directory if you want to try it out. The background is just a simple blue color with a gradient fill of a lighter blue. It's much cleaner and I like it. I was never in love with the original purple screens, but didn't want to spend too much time on that aspect of the app.
4) Because of the alternate skin, I have changed the color of the font used for description text from black to white. I think this too looks better

Happy pushing

Old 06-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #132
jbernardis

Sorry everyone

There were a couple of bugs in the last delivery, prompting me to deliver 0.3c. This fixes:
1) exception when navigating OUT of an empty directory
2) video count was not updating in the shares list when a video was deleted
3) minor glitch when processing display option in the config file

Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #133
jcthorne

Wow, really on a roll with this. Love the updates! Working very well. Thanks!

I have a request to consider. Would it be possible to append the starRating, movieYear, and the first 2 or 3 vActor tags (from the metadata) to the discription or display them in some other way. Perhaps to the right of the cover art in the HD view? Just looking for a way to get just a bit more info presented.

Thanks again for a very useful bit of software.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #134
reneg

Latest update is nice. I'll throw a couple requests out there too:
1) Support the info button and display the metadata kind of like how Tivo supports it on individual items.
2) Increase HD lists from 12 rows to 13 rows (not sure 14 rows would fit).
Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #135
jbernardis

Ok - let's see

Reneg's request number 2 is trivial - I can see how many lines I can fit and increase it to that.

Reneg's other request kind of works hand in hand with jcthorne's request. There really is not too much space left on the screen - the area to the right of the thumbnail is where I have the push/delete menu and the menu if you have multiple tivo's. But perhaps the info button could bring up some sort of pop-up where I could put more complete metadata information.

Let me think about it for a few days.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #136
lrhorer

Quote:
Version 0.3b is now on git. A few changes:

1) I added a "please wait" graphic for long running operations - currently this includes pushing a video, deleting a video, and building a directory listing. The latter is not really necessary, but if your directories are large and have thumbnails, they could take a few seconds.
Thanks! 'No thumbnails - at least not yet, but many of my shares have more than 1000 videos in them. Under the old code I could never really be certain whether the button press was lost, or not.

Quote:
2) I added a file and directory count to directory and share names where they appear on the screen. (These two items at lrhorer's request)
Yep, and thanks a ton! I'll have to try this out, perhaps tonight if I get a chance.

Quote:
3) I have provided an alternate set of graphics. They are in the skins/blue directory. Just drop all of the png files into the vidmgr directory if you want to try it out. The background is just a simple blue color with a gradient fill of a lighter blue. It's much cleaner and I like it. I was never in love with the original purple screens, but didn't want to spend too much time on that aspect of the app.
Yeah, me, either. I had real trouble reading the screen, especially in the livingroom, which is often sunlit. I just created a simple two tone gray HD background shown below for my own use. I'll try yours out and see how I like it. If anyone likes it, they are free to scarf it from my website:

http://fletchergeek.com/images/background.png
http://fletchergeek.com/images/backgroundHD.png
Note: I haven't tried the SD background, myself.

Quote:
4) Because of the alternate skin, I have changed the color of the font used for description text from black to white. I think this too looks better
Oh, cool! I agree about the font. I was going to look into this, but you beat me to it.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #137
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm at work just thinking about this one. I kind of like that idea too. Does it just show videos, and not subdirectories? Does it just show the number of videos in the immediate subdirectory and not in the entire subdirectory tree?
I'm not sure. Two levels is the deepest I go.

Quote:
Would this suffice?
For me it certainly would. Perhaps a better compromise, however, would be the total number of videos in the immediate subdirectory plus the number of child directories in the immediate subdirectory.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #138
jbernardis

Quote:
I'm not sure. Two levels is the deepest I go.

For me it certainly would. Perhaps a better compromise, however, would be the total number of videos in the immediate subdirectory plus the number of child directories in the immediate subdirectory.
lrhorer:

This is already in the current git. You can download it and try it today. It tells you the total number of videos PLUS the number of directories - a single sum. This is what pytivo does (at least the version I am using)

I am just about ready to release a version that allows you to press the "info" button to see ALL of the metadata associated with a video - not just the description as it currently does. I expect to upload it by Friday of this week. The logic is relatively complete, but I was just trying to figure out if I have a complete list of meta items. I'm basically using the metadata.py module from pytivo to identify the MANY different tags.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #139
lrhorer

Quote:
This is already in the current git. You can download it and try it today.
I have 0.3c. Isn't that the latest as of this moment?

Quote:
It tells you the total number of videos PLUS the number of directories - a single sum. This is what pytivo does (at least the version I am using)
OK, I really wouldn't notice this, since none of the folders I have created have both videos and folders in them.

Quote:
I am just about ready to release a version that allows you to press the "info" button to see ALL of the metadata associated with a video - not just the description as it currently does. I expect to upload it by Friday of this week. The logic is relatively complete, but I was just trying to figure out if I have a complete list of meta items. I'm basically using the metadata.py module from pytivo to identify the MANY different tags.
That sounds intriguing. Boy, you're really on a roll with this app!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #140
jbernardis

Quote:
I have 0.3c. Isn't that the latest as of this moment?
Yes - 0.3c is the version you want. Basically if you have the version that has the clock icon for long-running operations, you have the correct version since both of these capabilities were released together. If you are not seeing a count of your videos, please let me know and we can do some debugging.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #141
jbernardis

ok

Version 0.4 is now available - this version adds an info screen. This screen pops up over top of the video list or the details page when you press the info button and it displays the meta data. Pressing clear or left on the popup will dismiss it. While on the pop-up, if there is more than 1 page, channel up/down will allow paging. There is an arrow "cue" at the top and bottom of the page to indicate if there is more information in that direction.

Note - if you are in the habit of just copying the py file, there are new png files - most notably the "info*.png" files, but also, one of the png files in the "blue" collection was
incorrect and is fixed with this delivery (specifically hiliteHD.png).

Old 06-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #142
reneg

Tried out 0.4 and worked well on my setup. I like the formatting, but not the pink background. Pink is ok in small doses, but that's way too much for me. I haven't compared what is displayed vs my metadata files, but I didn't notice anything I couldn't live without.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #143
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
I like the formatting, but not the pink background. Pink is ok in small doses, but that's way too much for me.
Try the blue skin ... it's a lot better.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #144
jbernardis

Quote:
Tried out 0.4 and worked well on my setup. I like the formatting, but not the pink background. Pink is ok in small doses, but that's way too much for me. I haven't compared what is displayed vs my metadata files, but I didn't notice anything I couldn't live without.
I agree with windracer - I don't pay too much attention to the original skin anymore - I ship all the png files that are needed, but I spend more time with the blue skin.

If everyone feels this way, I might drop the original files - it's a pain to make sure both sets are updated.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #145
jbernardis

Quote:
I haven't compared what is displayed vs my metadata files, but I didn't notice anything I couldn't live without.
The only thing I explicitly leave out are the isEpisode and isEpisodic flags. I have a dictionary in the program to translate tags into a friendlier name, but If I don't find a label in that dictionary, I just use the label as is. Every tag except for the two mentioned above will be displayed. Also, I force Title, seriesTitle, episodeTitle, and description to the top of the display.

If there are tags that you think I should ignore, translate into a friendlier name, or force to the front, give me your thoughts. The entire thing is based on a dictionary and two lists. It would be easy to extend or change.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #146
lrhorer

Quote:
Ok - let's see

Reneg's request number 2 is trivial - I can see how many lines I can fit and increase it to that.
Have you looked into this, or is it by any chance already part of 0.4c? I would love to have an expanded number of titles by this weekend - I have company coming over. If you ask me, the top selling point of this app is the greater coverage of titles in the video list. Essentially, it displays twice the number of titles the NPL does, because the NPL always retains the top or bottom entry, as the case may be, when moving to a new page. Adding one or two more lines would just be gravy.

I'm looking forward to downloading your latest offering when I get home tomight.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #147
jbernardis

I totally forgot about Reneg's request with all of the changes for the info screen.
version 0.4b is out on git - I increased the list size for the HD screen from 12 to 14.
It looks OK on my TV, but because the simulator does not do HD, I cannot verify that I am not outside the safe zone.

If I am, let me know. It's a 1 line change, but if there is enough of a difference from tv to tv, maybe I can make it a config option.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #148
reneg

I made the one line change on my system for 14 rows and it worked well for me.

I had made my own backgound a couple releases back because I didn't care for the original background. My preference is the blue skin and I believe it would be a more appealing default.

The program is easy to use and has a high acceptance factor in my household. Thanks again for making this available.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #149
lrhorer

Is there any way the thumbnail could be moved down just a bit? Sometimes the description text overflows it. Perhaps it would also be a good idea to truncate the description text if it is longer than a certain size? Probably both of these should be configurable, as their proper values depend on font size.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #150
lrhorer

Quote:
It looks OK on my TV, but because the simulator does not do HD, I cannot verify that I am not outside the safe zone.
What, exactly, is the safe zone?