TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #391
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
YOu mean fix bootpage? I did try that - both option 1 and 2.
*bump*... Anyone ? Image for a Premiere or any suggestions?

Thanks
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #392
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Anyone have any options for a Premiere? Tried to upgrade / copy the HD to a 2 TB, and now the original drive won't work - MFS tools says not a tivo drive, and plugging it into the TV, says Welcome, Please wait" for about 30 seconds, then reboots then repeats.
MFS Tools says not a TiVo drive?

Did you actually try to use the by now ancient MFS Tools, or do you mean MFS Live, or do you mean WinMFS?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #393
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
MFS Tools says not a TiVo drive?

Did you actually try to use the by now ancient MFS Tools, or do you mean MFS Live, or do you mean WinMFS?
Sorry - WinMFS, and yes, it says not a Tivo drive. And Tivo says "Welcome, Please Wait" for 30 seconds or so, then reboots, then repeats.
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #394
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Sorry - WinMFS, and yes, it says not a Tivo drive. And Tivo says "Welcome, Please Wait" for 30 seconds or so, then reboots, then repeats.
What version of what operating system were you running WinMFS on when you tried to go from the original drive to the 2TB?

(I thought you needed to use the comer cd for that)

Was the 2TB new, blank, and unformatted?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #395
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What version of what operating system were you running WinMFS on when you tried to go from the original drive to the 2TB?

(I thought you needed to use the comer cd for that)

Was the 2TB new, blank, and unformatted?
Well, long story short - I initially tried the boot CD. I can't recall which one now, and tried to do the copy. No, the 2TB drive wasn't new blank and unformatted. (Unfortunately the instructions I found didn't say that was needed ). The command gave an error, and at that point searching for solutions I cam across WinMFS. But I think at that point, it was too late. When I tried WinMFS, it then said Not a Tivo drive on the original Tivo drive, which now appears to be DOA. I contacted Tivo support, as the unit is still under Warranty but I have a feeling they may be able to determine I tried something like this and void my warranty. so I think my only option now is to somehow do a restore from a image of a Premiere, if I can find one, onto either the original drive or preferably, the 2 TB drive.
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #396
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Well, long story short - I initially tried the boot CD. I can't recall which one now, and tried to do the copy. No, the 2TB drive wasn't new blank and unformatted. (Unfortunately the instructions I found didn't say that was needed ). The command gave an error, and at that point searching for solutions I cam across WinMFS. But I think at that point, it was too late. When I tried WinMFS, it then said Not a Tivo drive on the original Tivo drive, which now appears to be DOA. I contacted Tivo support, as the unit is still under Warranty but I have a feeling they may be able to determine I tried something like this and void my warranty. so I think my only option now is to somehow do a restore from a image of a Premiere, if I can find one, onto either the original drive or preferably, the 2 TB drive.
I was wondering if somehow part of the 2TB got written to the original TiVo drive instead of the other way around.

It sounds as though you didn't do nearly enough reading and research about the specifics of Premiere drive upgrading (as opposed to TiVo drive upgrading in general) before you tried it, and since I know next to nothing about Premiere-specific upgrading, someone who does might have to be the one to diagnose what you did wrong and what it caused to happen to the original drive.

Perhaps you could ask for an image (and instructions) at that "other" site that can't be mentioned here.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 06-08-2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added ddb reference
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #397
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I was wondering if somehow part of the 2TB got written to the original TiVo drive instead of the other way around.

It sounds as though you didn't do nearly enough reading and research about the specifics of Premiere drive upgrading (as opposed to TiVo drive upgrading in general) before you tried it, and since I know next to nothing about Premiere-specific upgrading, someone who does might have to be the one to diagnose what you did wrong and what it caused to happen to the original drive.

Perhaps you could ask for an image (and instructions) at that "other" site that can't be mentioned here.
Does that site have in its name a part of the human body located in the middle of the leg?
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #398
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Does that site have in its name a part of the human body located in the middle of the leg?
No, the site to which you refer is often mentioned in advertisements appearing here.

If you will forgive the pun, they are, despite the name, a strong supported of this site.

However, if you can DEAL with searching Google's DATABASE, finding it shouldn't be too COMplicated.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #399
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
No, the site to which you refer is often mentioned in advertisements appearing here.

If you will forgive the pun, they are, despite the name, a strong supported of this site.

However, if you can DEAL with searching Google's DATABASE, finding it shouldn't be too COMplicated.
Ok, thanks.. I just posted over there
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #400
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Ok, thanks.. I just posted over there
Good luck, I fear you're going to need it.

As for whether the 2TB had anything on it or not, WinMFS should have happily overwritten it with no problems provided you didn't make a mistake telling it which drive to copy to which drive. It's not impossible that Windows did something to screw up your TiVo drive before you and WinMFS had a chance to.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #401
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Ok, thanks.. I just posted over there
I just thought of something, did you try to do this work on a GigaByte brand motherboard?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #402
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I just thought of something, did you try to do this work on a GigaByte brand motherboard?
Ummm.. it's a HP laptop. Windows 7. Well - ok, sorry, the first attempt was on a old desktop. Can't recall what brand. But the laptop I'm now using WinMFS tools on is a HP.

But regardless, I'm pretty confident the dirve is toast. It's under warranty so worst case, tivo will 'fix' it for $49, but I was hoping to get er done this weekend...
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #403
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Ummm.. it's a HP laptop. Windows 7. Well - ok, sorry, the first attempt was on a old desktop. Can't recall what brand. But the laptop I'm now using WinMFS tools on is a HP.

But regardless, I'm pretty confident the dirve is toast. It's under warranty so worst case, tivo will 'fix' it for $49, but I was hoping to get er done this weekend...
Reason I asked, GigaByte motherboards the past several years have a nasty habit of putting something called a Host Protected Area on hard drives that screws up a TiVo drive real good, and that might account for your original drive no longer being recognized.

If you have the MFS Live cd v1.4, you can boot from it and run

hdparm -N /dev/wherever your drive is attached (hda, hdab, hdc, hdd, sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, et cetera)

and it'll show if you've got an HPA or something like it, and if you do, it might be fixable.

Also, you can download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software and burn a bootable cd of it and test the drive to see if, by co-incidence, it just happened to go bad while you were TiVo wrangling.

And, have you tried any of the kickstart procedures?

Also, that start screen and then reboot is sometimes a symptom of a good drive but a bad Tivo motherboard or power supply.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 06-09-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Adeline Moore
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #404
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Reason I asked, GigaByte motherboards the past several years have a nasty habit of putting something called a Host Protected Area on hard drives that screws up a TiVo drive real good, and that might account for your original drive no longer being recognized.

If you have the MFS Live cd v1.4, you can boot from it and run

hdparm -N /dev/wherever your drive is attached (hda, hdab, hdc, hdd, sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, et cetera)

and it'll show if you've got an HPA or something like it, and if you do, it might be fixable.

Also, you can download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software and burn a bootable cd of it and test the drive to see if, by co-incidence, it just happened to go bad while you were TiVo wrangling.

And, have you tried any of the kickstart procedures?

Also, that start screen and then reboot is sometimes a symptom of a good drive but a bad Tivo motherboard or power supply.
Ok, let me try that - I'm not sure what version of mfs tools I had, and murphys law, my burner crapped out on me so whatever version I had is what I'm stuck wth
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #405
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Ok, let me try that - I'm not sure what version of mfs tools I had, and murphys law, my burner crapped out on me so whatever version I had is what I'm stuck wth
MFS Tools is the predecessor to MFS Live, whereas WinMFS is not really a linear descedent (they can't use each other's backup files, for example).

If you actually have MFS Tools, and not MFS Live, it may be old enough that it can't handle drives over 137GB.

And it might not have hdparm, either.

Go to mfslive.org, download the .iso of MFS Live v1.4, copy to USB thumb drive or portable hard drive, find friend (or easily intimidated enemy), or neighborhood teen 'leet haxor with mad skilz, with burner.

Or PM me with name and mailing address, and I'll burn you a cd and mail it to you, but you won't get it 'til Monday at least.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #406
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Reason I asked, GigaByte motherboards the past several years have a nasty habit of putting something called a Host Protected Area on hard drives that screws up a TiVo drive real good, and that might account for your original drive no longer being recognized.

If you have the MFS Live cd v1.4, you can boot from it and run

hdparm -N /dev/wherever your drive is attached (hda, hdab, hdc, hdd, sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, et cetera)

and it'll show if you've got an HPA or something like it, and if you do, it might be fixable.

Also, you can download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software and burn a bootable cd of it and test the drive to see if, by co-incidence, it just happened to go bad while you were TiVo wrangling.

And, have you tried any of the kickstart procedures?

Also, that start screen and then reboot is sometimes a symptom of a good drive but a bad Tivo motherboard or power supply.
Ok, got MFS Live booted, however I don't see my HD (But yes - it is seen by the computer since I accidentally booted to it).

I do see in shift page up it appears to be ata2 or ata2.00 but when I try ata2 or ata2.00 with the above command it says /dev/ata2: no such file or directory
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #407
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Ok, got MFS Live booted, however I don't see my HD (But yes - it is seen by the computer since I accidentally booted to it).

I do see in shift page up it appears to be ata2 or ata2.00 but when I try ata2 or ata2.00 with the above command it says /dev/ata2: no such file or directory
That ata is the ata in SATA or PATA, and refers more to the method of the controller talking to and controlling the drive than it does the particular port.

See if the stuff that flies past during boot that you have to go back up to read says anything about /dev/hda (device/hard drive a) or /dev/sda (device/SCSI, or, nowadays SATA, or USB, basically anything that's not PATA).

Probably best at this point to only have the cd drive booting MFS Live and the original TiVo drive attached to the computer.

Then you can do

fdisk -l

(that's a lowercase "L", not an uppercase "i")

That should give you an idea of what the OS loaded into memory by the cd is calling your hard drive.

If fdisk -l seems to choke, it might be because it encounteres the CD-ROM/DVD drive first, which means that it's hooked up as /dev/hda or as /dev/sda.

If so, do

fdisk -l /dev/sda

If that doesn't work, do

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

if necessary

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

and

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Then, once you have the right thing to call it (I'm going to use /dev/sda from here on out to illustrate)

do

pdisk -l /dev/sda


to see if any TiVo partitions are found on the drive.

Then do

hdparm -N /dev/sda

and make sure it reports all of the drive's size, etc.

Then tell us what you've learnerd.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #408
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Damn you murphy and your law.. Now the CD boots, and after the prompt screen of which option to boot to, after the default, I can read the screen says something with Probing, then screen goes blank

Selecting boot option 3 - text mode says
Kernel Panic - not syncing - Fatal exception in interrupt
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #409
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
ok - sounds like bad memory. Phew. Ok.. drive is SDA. Not sure how much you need.. But rfdisk -l it does report a 320 gb hard drive, /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table. pdisk -l whos 14 partitions.. Apple, Bootstrap 1, kernel 1, root 1, bootstrap 2, kernel 2, root 2, linux swap, /var, mfs app region, mfs media region, mfs app region 2, mfs media region 2, and sqlite.
hdparm -N says max sectors 625142448/625142448 HPA is disabled.
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #410
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
PS (and thanks again for all your help ) I don't recall the pause button kickstart trick working, but I'll try it again.
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #411
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Damn you murphy and your law.. Now the CD boots, and after the prompt screen of which option to boot to, after the default, I can read the screen says something with Probing, then screen goes blank

Selecting boot option 3 - text mode says
Kernel Panic - not syncing - Fatal exception in interrupt
There's a school of thought that says that Murphy was an optomist.


Perhaps the computer being used is going bad.

Or maybe not, I've had that and other "Live" cd's (the kind that load an OS into memory) go wonky during booting a time or three.

Usually just turning it off and letting it set for 10 to 30 minutes and trying again is successful. If it's a desktop computer you can, after turning it off and pulling the AC cord, unplug the other internal cords and cables and then plug them back in, being sure that they are firmly and properly seated, then hook the AC back up and try again.

If it's a laptop, maybe disassembly and reassembly isn't the way to go.

If you're using USB connections and adapters double check them for good solid connections.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #412
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
ok - sounds like bad memory. Phew. Ok.. drive is SDA. Not sure how much you need.. But rfdisk -l it does report a 320 gb hard drive, /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table. pdisk -l whos 14 partitions.. Apple, Bootstrap 1, kernel 1, root 1, bootstrap 2, kernel 2, root 2, linux swap, /var, mfs app region, mfs media region, mfs app region 2, mfs media region 2, and sqlite.
hdparm -N says max sectors 625142448/625142448 HPA is disabled.
If hdparm says HPA is disabled, then I think, but am not sure, that that means that there is one, and that the Live cd from which you booted temporarily disabled it.

If you still have it booted up, or can get it to again, do


mfsinfo /dev/sda

and let us know what it says.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #413
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If hdparm says HPA is disabled, then I think, but am not sure, that that means that there is one, and that the Live cd from which you booted temporarily disabled it.

If you still have it booted up, or can get it to again, do


mfsinfo /dev/sda

and let us know what it says.
I unhooked it to try the kickstart options, no go - don't get the flickering lights.

mfsinfo /dev/sda says Unknown MFS partition device /dev/sda11
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #414
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
I unhooked it to try the kickstart options, no go - don't get the flickering lights.

mfsinfo /dev/sda says Unknown MFS partition device /dev/sda11
Getting one to kickstart can be tricky, and apparently the timing and technique vary from Series to Series, if not model to model.

There are some post on this site somewhere, both recent and older, about how to kickstart what, but my eyes are glazing over here on the east coast.

Also I'm starting to get in a little over my head, having never actually worked with anything newer than S2 dual tuner drives. For instance that SQL partition is apparently new.

Usually if mfsinfo reports a problem (in my experiences with borked drives), it complains about the first MFS partition, partition 10, or it say something about checksum failure.

You may need to seek out the real gurus around here for further guidance.

hdparm has a lot of available options, most of which sound like they do really scary things and should be carefully avoided.

On drives that I was going to overwrite anyway, I have used a variation of

hdparm -N

to permanently disable the HPA, but I hesitate to reveal it here, at least yet, until we've heard from people who actually know about Premiere/Series 4 platform drives.

The last thing I want is to help you screw things up further.

Let me look back through some other threads on this site tomorrow and see if I can come up with any clues or knowledgable people to bug for answers.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #415
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Getting one to kickstart can be tricky, and apparently the timing and technique vary from Series to Series, if not model to model.

There are some post on this site somewhere, both recent and older, about how to kickstart what, but my eyes are glazing over here on the east coast.

Also I'm starting to get in a little over my head, having never actually worked with anything newer than S2 dual tuner drives. For instance that SQL partition is apparently new.

Usually if mfsinfo reports a problem (in my experiences with borked drives), it complains about the first MFS partition, partition 10, or it say something about checksum failure.

You may need to seek out the real gurus around here for further guidance.

hdparm has a lot of available options, most of which sound like they do really scary things and should be carefully avoided.

On drives that I was going to overwrite anyway, I have used a variation of

hdparm -N

to permanently disable the HPA, but I hesitate to reveal it here, at least yet, until we've heard from people who actually know about Premiere/Series 4 platform drives.

The last thing I want is to help you screw things up further.

Let me look back through some other threads on this site tomorrow and see if I can come up with any clues or knowledgable people to bug for answers.
It could be the gigabit issue.

I have a laptop I can try from, but on the laptop, I'd have to use SATA to USB. Will the MFS Live recognize that (install all the proper drivers and such?

Also maybe I'm not understanding "Graphical mode" - I select that and still get a command prompt CLI type interface?
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #416
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
It could be the gigabit issue.

I have a laptop I can try from, but on the laptop, I'd have to use SATA to USB. Will the MFS Live recognize that (install all the proper drivers and such?

Also maybe I'm not understanding "Graphical mode" - I select that and still get a command prompt CLI type interface?
Haven't yet had time today to look any further into your problem, but as for the graphical mode on the MFS Live cd boot options, I think that lets it use "pictures" of numbers, letters, and symbols instead of what the computer itself has built into its BIOS chip, which can be pretty 1981-ish clunky looking.

Are you saying that the desktop PC you first tried on definitely has a GigaByte brand motherboard?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #417
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Haven't yet had time today to look any further into your problem, but as for the graphical mode on the MFS Live cd boot options, I think that lets it use "pictures" of numbers, letters, and symbols instead of what the computer itself has built into its BIOS chip, which can be pretty 1981-ish clunky looking.

Are you saying that the desktop PC you first tried on definitely has a GigaByte brand motherboard?
Oh - I get it... Not a GUI.

I'll see if I can see the motherboard. No, not 100% sure it's a gigabit MoBo. I want to say it's an HP or Compaq computer, but can't recall what model. I'll see if I can find out tonight.

Thanks again for all your help. If you ever make it to Fremont, CA, drinks on me
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #418
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
Oh - I get it... Not a GUI.

I'll see if I can see the motherboard. No, not 100% sure it's a gigabit MoBo. I want to say it's an HP or Compaq computer, but can't recall what model. I'll see if I can find out tonight.

Thanks again for all your help. If you ever make it to Fremont, CA, drinks on me
Don't know if I can wait that long for a drink in this heat, but I appreciate the thought (and I'll start calculating how long a straw I'd need to reach from here in NC to there).

A "name-brand" computer isn't likely to have a GigaByte board, but since they tend to do all sorts of other secret proprietary stuff*, who knows what might have happened.

*A few years ago, Dell had machines with what looked like ATX power supplies with what looked like ATX power supply plugs and motherboards with what looked like ATX power supply sockets. People who replace their power supplies with non-Dell units soon discovered that they didn't put the same voltages on the same pins. (Not sure if they followed the same color code for the wires as everyone else or not)

Once upon a time, Compaq computers had "secret" hidden partitons on the hard drive with recovery files or part of the BIOS or something that required booting with a special floppy if you needed to access it to fix something, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have the motherboards set up to automatically create one of those partitions on any hard drive that happened to be connected to it later.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #419
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Don't know if I can wait that long for a drink in this heat, but I appreciate the thought (and I'll start calculating how long a straw I'd need to reach from here in NC to there).

A "name-brand" computer isn't likely to have a GigaByte board, but since they tend to do all sorts of other secret proprietary stuff*, who knows what might have happened.

*A few years ago, Dell had machines with what looked like ATX power supplies with what looked like ATX power supply plugs and motherboards with what looked like ATX power supply sockets. People who replace their power supplies with non-Dell units soon discovered that they didn't put the same voltages on the same pins. (Not sure if they followed the same color code for the wires as everyone else or not)

Once upon a time, Compaq computers had "secret" hidden partitons on the hard drive with recovery files or part of the BIOS or something that required booting with a special floppy if you needed to access it to fix something, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have the motherboards set up to automatically create one of those partitions on any hard drive that happened to be connected to it later.
It's a HP. doesn't appear to be a gigabyte board.
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #420
phirephoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by phirephoto View Post
It's a HP. doesn't appear to be a gigabyte board.
Hate to bump my own post, but .. bump

Anyone have any suggestions or even better, an image for a Premiere? Payday is next Friday, and at that point, I'll have to bite the bullet and sent it to Tivo for repair (assuming they will cover it), but would like to avoid paying the $50 if possible...

Going through withdrawls.

And then I'm back at square one. I'll be afraid to try to do the upgrade again.

Thanks
phirephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |