TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #571
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
I've had a Tivo Premiere for a few months and it works fine (have 2 HD's also), but these questions are about the Premiere.

All my Tivos do not have cable cards and I don't subscribe to any premium channels, etc.

Cable company just changed their lineup and converted some of the channels we watch from analog to digital. They sent a letter out explaining the change and stating that either a cable box or cable card was going to be required to receive the digital channels after the switch. They also offered a free standard definition set-top box and remote control for 1 year if you reqested it (they say a $10/mo value). Since I don't want another box in my entertainment center, I called and asked if I could get a cable card for one of my Tivo boxes instead free for a year - they agreed.

Cable Company: Time Warner Cable (Dayton, OH)

The tech came out today to attemp an install. NOT GOOD. First thing I noticed is after the install, the screen on the Tivo stated Non MCard installed. It turned out that they sent the tech out with a basic cable card and not an MCard. The tech called their tech support and the person at tech support said that the cable card wasn't going to work with the Tivo box, but it was going to require a Tuning Adapter (another box) in addition to the cable card to work.

This doesn't seem right to me - I figured that the Tivo has tuners and if the cable card was installed in my Tivo, then I should be able to watch the digital stations without having to have a separate box connected to the Tivo. Am I missing something here?

Am I going to need another box connected to get digital channels on the Tivo?

The channels I get are basic calbe channels 2-73.

Never dealt with cable cards so figured I'd ask before the tech comes back tomorrow afternoon.

Any input from anyone???
Ask them if any of the 2-73 channels are sdv channels; if not, don't bother with the TA.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #572
myblubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
They are correct. If you have SDV (Switched Digital video) in your area then you would indeed need a tuning adapter. The cable card, just like the TIVo is unidirectional, and are not able to let the DNCS (Head End) know that you are on that SDV channel and to start sending it down to you.
So how is that going to work? Will the Tivo be able to record shows, etc without me having to change channels or somehting on the 'Tuning Adapter'?
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #573
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
So how is that going to work? Will the Tivo be able to record shows, etc without me having to change channels or somehting on the 'Tuning Adapter'?
IF you need a TA (big IF), you don't need to do anything different. The Premiere handles all the switching.

Do what evanborkow suggested. In fact, I'm not even sure you need a cable card... my Premier pulls in all the Basic and Extended Basic digital channels without one... of course the tuning mapping is a little funky with channels like 37-1, 37-2, but TiVo doesn't see to mind. If your CC is scrambling all the digital content, then the cable card will come in handy...
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #574
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
IF you need a TA (big IF), you don't need to do anything different. The Premiere handles all the switching.

Do what evanborkow suggested. In fact, I'm not even sure you need a cable card... my Premier pulls in all the Basic and Extended Basic digital channels without one... of course the tuning mapping is a little funky with channels like 37-1, 37-2, but TiVo doesn't see to mind. If your CC is scrambling all the digital content, then the cable card will come in handy...
I agree, there is a big IF regarding the need for the TA.

However, even if the cable company provides the channels unencrypted, you may still need the cablecard to download the appropriate channel map. The Tivo may not be able to provide the correct guide data without the channel map. That would defeat the whole purpose of having a Tivo.

It is likely that they have already turned on the digital channels before shutting off the analog ones. You could try a channel scan right now and see what shows up. Before I added a cablecard to my bedroom Tivo, I was able to scan and watch all the old analog channels and some of the new unencrypted digital channels. However, as I said the channel numbers were wrong because I didn't have a cablecard to download the channel map.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #575
myblubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
Ask them if any of the 2-73 channels are sdv channels; if not, don't bother with the TA.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I agree, there is a big IF regarding the need for the TA.

However, even if the cable company provides the channels unencrypted, you may still need the cablecard to download the appropriate channel map. The Tivo may not be able to provide the correct guide data without the channel map. That would defeat the whole purpose of having a Tivo.

It is likely that they have already turned on the digital channels before shutting off the analog ones. You could try a channel scan right now and see what shows up. Before I added a cablecard to my bedroom Tivo, I was able to scan and watch all the old analog channels and some of the new unencrypted digital channels. However, as I said the channel numbers were wrong because I didn't have a cablecard to download the channel map.
Thanks all you guys! All your information was very helpful. The Tech came out last night and it was his FIRST Tivo cable card install! But he was great - had a great attitude and said we'd figure it out together. I REALLY didn't want the TA and asked about SDV channels, since I don't do anything fancy with premium channels or PPV, etc. He 'thought' I was going to be okay, but we installed the cable card and it didn't work. He called his support desk and they said it ws going to need the TA. So we installed that and everything works now. Although now I also get HD channels I didn't receive before - cool! Thanks for explaining everything.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #576
myblubu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
They are correct. If you have SDV (Switched Digital video) in your area then you would indeed need a tuning adapter. The cable card, just like the TIVo is unidirectional, and are not able to let the DNCS (Head End) know that you are on that SDV channel and to start sending it down to you.
Thanks to you too Grumock! You got me on the right path. Thanks for replying!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #577
fpp777

Looks like I may have to replace the drive on my HD unit. Will I have to have Verizon come out, or will the same 2 cards be ok with the new drive?

Sorry if this has been covered.
fpp777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #578
a68oliver

IIRC, the pairing info is stored on the drive. If you can copy the drive you will be ok. However, if you install a fresh drive with a new image, the pairing info will be lost and you will need to re-pair the cards. That MAY require a trip depending on your cable provider policies.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will chime in and correct me.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #579
Ziggy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpp777 View Post
Looks like I may have to replace the drive on my HD unit. Will I have to have Verizon come out, or will the same 2 cards be ok with the new drive?

Who is your cable provider. I have Verizon FiOS and did not have to have the cards repaired.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #580
myblubu

Quote:
Thanks all you guys! All your information was very helpful. The Tech came out last night and it was his FIRST Tivo cable card install! But he was great - had a great attitude and said we'd figure it out together. I REALLY didn't want the TA and asked about SDV channels, since I don't do anything fancy with premium channels or PPV, etc. He 'thought' I was going to be okay, but we installed the cable card and it didn't work. He called his support desk and they said it ws going to need the TA. So we installed that and everything works now. Although now I also get HD channels I didn't receive before - cool! Thanks for explaining everything.
I've just noticed this. When I record some shows on the HD stations that I can now receive (like TBS HD), the recording shows up with a red circle with a slash through it in the recordings list & it won't allow me to transfer it to another Tivo. If I record the show on the regular TBS station, I can transfer it like I always have. Is this normal?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #581
a68oliver

Quote:
I've just noticed this. When I record some shows on the HD stations that I can now receive (like TBS HD), the recording shows up with a red circle with a slash through it in the recordings list & it won't allow me to transfer it to another Tivo. If I record the show on the regular TBS station, I can transfer it like I always have. Is this normal?
Yes. It is pretty typical. You have been bitten by the CCI Byte fiasco. This means your cable provider has turned on copy protection on those channels. However, if you have local broadcast HD stations, they should not be copy protected (by FCC rule). Not all cable companies copy protect the programs.

Is the regular TBS station still analog? Or is it a SD digital station? If it is analog, you usually won't have any kind of copy protection. Although, I believe it is possible that it can have Macrovision applied to the analog signal. If it is an SD digital station, count yourself lucky that it doesn't also have copy protection applied to it.

My cable company (Comcast) no longer gives me access to the analog stations. The cablecard maps everything to a digital version.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #582
fpp777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Who is your cable provider. I have Verizon FiOS and did not have to have the cards repaired.
I have Verizon FIOS also. I guess I will be ok.
fpp777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #583
Grumock

Quote:
Thanks to you too Grumock! You got me on the right path. Thanks for replying!
No Problem
Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #584
darnelled

I'm confused after reading the info here. I'm trying to get set up with Comcast cablecards in my Tivo series 3. A tech came out and put in 1 mcard which allows the cable to work, but the dual tuner function does not work- functions as a single tuner Tivo only.

I read the info here and asked for 2 S cards because it appeared to be what I needed. The tech said they haven't carried S cards in 4 years. He wrote down my Tivo's model number and left to "look into it". Can it work as a dual tuner DVR if they use 2 M Cards or must I use 2 S cards?
Thx for any replies.
darnelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #585
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnelled View Post
I'm confused after reading the info here. I'm trying to get set up with Comcast cablecards in my Tivo series 3. A tech came out and put in 1 mcard which allows the cable to work, but the dual tuner function does not work- functions as a single tuner Tivo only.

I read the info here and asked for 2 S cards because it appeared to be what I needed. The tech said they haven't carried S cards in 4 years. He wrote down my Tivo's model number and left to "look into it". Can it work as a dual tuner DVR if they use 2 M Cards or must I use 2 S cards?
Thx for any replies.
Series3 HD DVRs support M-Cards in single-stream mode only, which means that you must install two (2) CableCARDs for the DVR to run in dual-tuner mode. Tell them to bring another card.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #586
richsadams

Quote:
Series3 HD DVRs support M-Cards in single-stream mode only, which means that you must install two (2) CableCARDs for the DVR to run in dual-tuner mode. Tell them to bring another card.
Exactly right.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #587
darnelled

Does it matter if they are 2 M or S cards?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #588
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnelled View Post
Does it matter if they are 2 M or S cards?
Either two "M" (multi-stream) or two "S" (single stream) cable cards will work fine (or one "S" and one "M" for that matter). Most cable companies stopped carrying "S" cards a year or two ago so you just need to ask them to bring and install one additional "M" card.

They may have to re-pair both cards. Be sure they install and pair the cable card in slot #1 (bottom slot) first and then cable card number two in the second slot (top) next. It has to happen in that order and they cannot be paired at the same time or the pairing will fail.

All of the information you and the cable company installer needs can be found here:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/136
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #589
darnelled

Thanks so much for your help Rich!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #590
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

If they don't buy the 2 card requirement, show them the link in my previous post.

Let us know how this goes for you!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #591
richsadams

Quote:
If they don't buy the 2 card requirement, show them the link in my previous post.

Let us know how this goes for you!
+1
Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #592
ashu
User title defunct

My FIOS installation story is documented in the upgrade FAQ thread

Cliff Notes, I didn't have the time to test my newly imaged drive ni the S3, and sure enough, it wasn't all kosher when the installer showed up (with TWO CableCards just as requested)

Sadly, I had to let him leave me with a (cruddy/average) FIOS DVR, and teh CableCards in his pocket.

Suggestions on how best to talk VZ into sending me the cards for a self install? They mail out/in cable boxes, this is 'easier', IMO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #593
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
My FIOS installation story is documented in the upgrade FAQ thread

Cliff Notes, I didn't have the time to test my newly imaged drive ni the S3, and sure enough, it wasn't all kosher when the installer showed up (with TWO CableCards just as requested)

Sadly, I had to let him leave me with a (cruddy/average) FIOS DVR, and teh CableCards in his pocket.

Suggestions on how best to talk VZ into sending me the cards for a self install? They mail out/in cable boxes, this is 'easier', IMO!
In our neck of the woods VZ was still requiring a truck roll to obtain cable cards. However they began waiving the fee for a truck roll for cable card installations a couple of years ago. They would allow mere humans to drop off one of their DVR's at a VZ office though.

I say "was" because now that Frontier has taken over here we'll probably have to sacrifice a virgin before they'll consider dealing with anything that doesn't belong to them directly and doesn't generate a pile of additional revenue.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #594
randyb359

Fios in Pittsburgh now permits self install as of this week. You pick the card up at a Verizon retail store then have to call in and have them activated. Took 38 min to get them activated. They never told me I could do a self install. I had to ask
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #595
anotherlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpp777 View Post

With Verizon FiOS, they should be able to do this without a truck roll. My HD blew out it's hard drive last month. I replaced the the drive and basically started with a clean slate. Through Twitter (and at 1:30am), I sent a request to @VerizonSupport to have the card paired back to the TiVo. They asked for a few numbers from the card and they got it working in about 5 minutes.
anotherlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #596
ashu
User title defunct

More datapoints ...

- Verizon Baltimore is happy to allow a self-install (but I didn't try it because ...)
- If a truck is at your address or nearby, and has cablecards on the truck, they call the tech and have him stop by to see if you'd like a free install!

A 20 minute visit from a friendly VZ tech around 2 hours after I called and requested 2 cablecards be mailed to me. And my Cablecards work. He used the tech-specific VZ software off the USB key they all carry (inserted into a PC that could see the VZ router) and quickly activated them online, with no phone-calls anywhere.

More data ...
I forgot to do a C&DE on the image I received from someone else, and had to dos o after the pairing was complete and the tech had left.
Post C&DE (with the two Cablecards inserted the WHOLE time) I repeated Guided Setup and they *instantly* were paired/needed no further pairing, and continued to work.

So far, I must say VZ has been impressive, vis a vis Comcast and their CableCard nightmares hereabouts and int he DC area. But it has been 2 years, in fairness - maybe CC's and headends (particularly VZ's) have just gotten more robust.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #597
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
More datapoints ...

- Verizon Baltimore is happy to allow a self-install (but I didn't try it because ...)
- If a truck is at your address or nearby, and has cablecards on the truck, they call the tech and have him stop by to see if you'd like a free install!

A 20 minute visit from a friendly VZ tech around 2 hours after I called and requested 2 cablecards be mailed to me. And my Cablecards work. He used the tech-specific VZ software off the USB key they all carry (inserted into a PC that could see the VZ router) and quickly activated them online, with no phone-calls anywhere.

More data ...
I forgot to do a C&DE on the image I received from someone else, and had to dos o after the pairing was complete and the tech had left.
Post C&DE (with the two Cablecards inserted the WHOLE time) I repeated Guided Setup and they *instantly* were paired/needed no further pairing, and continued to work.

So far, I must say VZ has been impressive, vis a vis Comcast and their CableCard nightmares hereabouts and int he DC area. But it has been 2 years, in fairness - maybe CC's and headends (particularly VZ's) have just gotten more robust.
Good news and thanks for the feedback. The nice (really nice!) thing about VZ is they don't actually pair cable cards to the DVR as does Comcast, etc. You can pull those cards and swap them into another box and they will work fine.

We had VZ FiOS and a Series3 that had two M cards. When we bought a Premiere XL I pulled one of the M cards and slipped it into the PXL and ta-dah, worked perfectly! They brought out another M card and I put it into the Series3 and it was back to normal.

The downside for us is that VZ sold their business in the Northwest to Frontier. They ended up pairing cable cards to the boxes (as well as putting copy protection on all non-broadcast channels ) so our life of ease came to a sudden and crashing end. They also tried to institute a 50% rate hike and have had nothing but problems with the FiOS offering since. Now it appears Frontier is getting out of the TV/cable business so we have no idea what will happen going forward. If Frontier ever, ever comes to your neck of the woods do everything you can to convince the local PUC and other organizations with approval authority to send them packing.

[/RANT]

In any case, enjoy!

EDIT: I just realized that I responded to a post from early June. What I said still applies. Apparently there's a new forum spamming program that gets around the 10 post requirement by reposting existing posts (making them look new or something) so the bad guys can get their spam on line. Ugh. This is the second time I've fallen victim to it. I have to pay more attention.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #598
kirby34
Kirrrrrby Puckettttt

I could've sworn I read the answer to this question when I was looking earlier this year, but now I can't find it to confirm what I thought I had read.

I have a TivoHD with an M-Card that works fine with our current Comcast Digital Preferred package. If we were to add the HD Package, will the card automatically receive the new channel map? Or will I have to maybe just Restart the TiVo or re-do the Guided Setup or have to get a CSR to send some sort of signal from their end?
kirby34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #599
husky55

@richsadams,

I actually am going through hell with a Comcast M-Card when replacing my HD in a Tivo HD. Your post about VZ FIOS in the NW makes me wonder about the TV cable card business. Price increase with declining service seems to be the norm here.

I got 2 Tivos, HD and Premiere both with M-card. When I replaced the HD in the Tivo HD ( 3 year old HD ) the M-Card is still activated and paired but the copy protected channels ( HBO, SH etc...) are blocked with a message to call Comcast. So call Comcast we did for the last 3 days. The signals were sent over and over and nothing doing.

So today the tech and truck roll is scheduled. What a nightmare for just changing the HD to a back up HD. To make life even more painful, the WD backup HD did not boot up with the reset from Tivo. The disease of the IntelliPark. So I had to hunt for the WDIdle and fix it.

Who ever said that technology is fun?

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #600
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby34 View Post
I could've sworn I read the answer to this question when I was looking earlier this year, but now I can't find it to confirm what I thought I had read.

I have a TivoHD with an M-Card that works fine with our current Comcast Digital Preferred package. If we were to add the HD Package, will the card automatically receive the new channel map? Or will I have to maybe just Restart the TiVo or re-do the Guided Setup or have to get a CSR to send some sort of signal from their end?
You should be able to call Comast, have them set up your new package and they should be able to send the signal down the line to your cable card and you should be in business. That's how it should work. That said as you can see from Husky's note above, that's not how it always works.

The biggest issue with Comcast is that it's a hodgepodge of former smaller cable companies they acquired along the way. Some are legacy Comcast from day one, but many (most?) are not. So although the areas are integrated into Comcast's business more often than not they are still functioning just as they were when they were acquired. So in some areas a call is all it takes to change service...in others a truck roll and in others both.

If you're lucky it's a call and the deal is done. Or you may need to read them the three numbers off of your cable card diagnostic screen and all will be well. Or a tech may come to visit.

In any case, once they update your service TiVo will automatically update the channels available to you so you shouldn't have to run setup again.

It may take TiVo up to 24 hours to map all of the channels, however it usually happens right away. Just be sure that before you get off of the phone with the CSR or let the tech leave that all or at least a majority of the channels you want are working. They'll often have you view a select few channels and declare the work done and later you find that other channels aren't working. Pick your favorites and make sure they're working before letting them off of the hook.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!