TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #7951
morac
Cat God

I just started getting charge an extra $6.30 a month ($9.25 - $2.95) for adding Digital Preferred in May. I made no changes in May. My bill does now show 3 additional outlets (at $0 each) which I'm pretty sure isn't correct. It used to show 2. I have 1 cable box, and 2 TiVos connected to one TV and another TiVo connected to a second TV for a total of 4 cableCards. I'm not sure if it's worth fighting the $6.30 charge or not since they could increase my bill from what I've read.

Edit:

Ended up calling Comcast and the person in their billing department was clueless and couldn't tell me why the system said I added something in May. She said she'd call me back.

Last edited by morac : 06-06-2011 at 09:41 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #7952
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Ended up calling Comcast and the person in their billing department was clueless and couldn't tell me why the system said I added something in May. She said she'd call me back.
Sometimes this is the result of an auditing computer examining your account and making changes. I have experienced it several times and the final explaination was that the auditing computer kicked it out and made a recommendation that a human auditor rubber stamped. No phone calls asking why the last CSR had set it up the way she did. They just made the change without any contact between us. This took place in the regional office and not at the local office.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #7953
b_scott
TiVo Fan

anyone having issues with locals in HD? My parents can't get them, or get them sporadically. They're in Peoria, IL - apparently Comcast says it's a national issue and there is something in Denver they are fixing.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #7954
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

No problem with the HD locals in PA.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #7955
a68oliver

I didn't think the locals went through their Denver center, only the "satellite" channels. I am not sure if the Denver operation can somehow step on the footprint of the locals, though.

No problem with my locals in the Indianapolis market (Anderson/New Castle headend).
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #7956
morac
Cat God

Comcast never called me back ,but I noticed that they hid the new rate fee info on a 3rd party web site. Here's the info I found that makes me think I'm being charged incorrectly.

Quote:
HD Technology Fee – primary outlet only (not available to Limited Basic Service only subscribers.
HDTV capable television set and Digital Converter with HDTV capabilities are required.) .........$9.25

Additional Outlet - each outlet (limit of 3 additional outlets) (Digital Converter with HDTV
capabilities is required. Includes equipment as well as digital services subscribed
to on primary outlet.).................................................... .........................................................$9. 25

Digital Adapter Outlet (includes Digital Adapter and remote) (available with
minimum video subscription of Digital Starter. Does not provide access to
premium services, pay-per-view, video-on-demand, the interactive electronic
programming guide or other two-way interactive services.)2
Primary outlet and up to 2 additional outlets ............................................................ ......No Charge
Each additional outlet beyond the 3rd outlet...................................................... ...................$ 1.99

Now the additional outlet fee says it requires a Digital Converter with HDTV
capabilities. I don't have a digital converter. In fact I don't even have an HDTV on that outlet.

It looks like Comcast got around this by charging me the $9.25 HD outlet fee and then refunding the cost of the converter and remote which isn't what that fee says it's for.

I'm going to try calling Comcast again.

Edit:

I spoke to someone for about 15 minutes and went over every device one at a time and she agreed that that the additional outlet charge should only apply to "digital converters with HDTV capabilities" (not TiVo or other devices) so she removed the $9.25 charge since I only have one Comcast HD digital converter box. I'll have to wait till next month to see what my bill ends up actually being since it might automatically get put back on (and also what happens to the $2.95 credit for not having a digital converter on the additional outlet)

For people being billed $9.25 per TiVo, I suggest looking at the specifics of your rate sheet to see if it should be applying to "digital converters" only.

Last edited by morac : 06-08-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: results
Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #7957
CedarJustin

My search didn't turn up anyone in this thread with Comcast in Washington DC, so here is my experience.

My house has 2 HDTV digital DVR boxes, and I wanted to add a CableCARD to my Tivo Premiere. I am going to be charged $9.25/month for the CableCARD plus a $26 installation fee. She said this was because I was already getting 1 of my HDTV boxes for free already (my roommate is going to verify this), so the CableCARD counts as an additional box.
CedarJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #7958
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The Tivo is a separate device, so that would count as a separate outlet. $9.25 sounds a bit high, as though they've charged you for an outlet fee plus a cablecard fee (the outlet fee is supposed to cover one cc for that outlet) but rates might be higer (?).

You can save by returning one of the comcast DVRs.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #7959
jlb
NCC-1701-D

My fam is looking to move to a different house in the same town. Called comcast the other day and they confirmed I can just take my CC with me to the new house, when it happens.

Excellent. I didn't want to have to deal with another truck roll, and clueless CC installer.

This way, we can move, and I can get the TV/TiVo up right away and worry about the whole home theater stuff later, after the unpack is mostly done.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #7960
tivoboy

Yeah, COMCAST is just bad with billing.

last month, something happened to my bill

My WHOLE HOME HD for 8.95$ was dropped, and a

WHOLE HOME HD for 8.95$ a month was added.

The bill netted out one 8.95$ and added a pro-rated 7.98$ for a shorter period for the month.

Makes no sense, since I made NO changes and didn't drop anything related to HD or add anything related to HD.

BUT, they DID manage to add on some "programming change" administrative change for 2$ (I assume something that happens anytime one makes a programming change with is just BUNK IMHO) for doing nothing I asked for and making effectively NO CHANGES at all.

Sounds like some form of SCAM if you ask me
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #7961
suggest THIS

I'm calling Comcast today to pair an M CableCard to my Premiere. Can someone here remind me which two numbers from the Pairing screen Comcast should be asking for?
suggest THIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #7962
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by suggest THIS
I'm calling Comcast today to pair an M CableCard to my Premiere. Can someone here remind me which two numbers from the Pairing screen Comcast should be asking for?
Motorola cards have 3 numbers: card, host and data.

I've read Cisco cards only have 2: card and host (which would mean they wouldn't lose pairing when moved around).
Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #7963
a68oliver

When I last paired a cablecard, Comcast needed a Serial Number that was NOT listed on any pairing screen. It was on the side of the card itself.

YMMV
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 06-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #7964
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver
When I last paired a cablecard, Comcast needed a Serial Number that was NOT listed on any pairing screen. It was on the side of the card itself.

YMMV
Dunno what type of card you are using, but the serial number is on the pairing screen for Motorola cards.

That's only needed for activating the card and can be done at the office when they give you the card. It is only required for pairing if you have multiple cards on your account as Comcast would need to know which card to pair and they reference cards by serial number.

Last edited by morac : 06-26-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #7965
ghuido

Just an FYI poll to the group. Anyone in Comcast North East or Anywhere gotten CableCard Self-Install insted of a truck roll.

Checked my local service center and it did not list the Self Install as an option.

FIgure we are getting closer to the FCC Deadline.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #7966
lpwcomp

I received my replacement Premiere on Friday. Started setting it up and when I got to the point of going to the TiVo website and changing the service number, I discovered that it had already been changed or the new TiVo had been modified prior to shipment. Anyway, I went through guided setup, saying I would install a CableCard later. After that finished, I decided to go ahead and install the CableCard and see what happened. I now have access to all of my channels. The only issue is that when I change to some of the channels, mostly those below 200, it goes to the CableCard screen. If I hit live TV, I am viewing the requested channel. Bottom line, I will still call to try and get it paired to the new TiVo, but if they insist on a truck roll, I will tell them I am going to wait until August. Also, I need to get the $5 a month($2.50 for each TiVo) credit added to my account.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #7967
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Ok, so here's my latest bill for comcast. Each time I call to try to question the charges something gets screwed up and I lose something on my Tivos. Any advice?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #7968
ghuido

Okay. need some help

Got the In-Laws a TIVO HD. Originaly it was set up without a cable card straight analog cable.

I got the In-Laws a new Plasma TV so I convinced them to upgrade to Digital Cable Card Service.

Comcast did the truck roll and put in the cable card. TIVO did the guided set up. They got all the channels from 000-199 easy and ONLY the Broadcast Non-Encrypted channels above 200+ (E.g. NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS). They DID NOT GET the encrypted channels (e.g. USA, TNT, TBS, ) above 200.

They have done 2 truck rolls to put in another cable card and got the same problem. I have authorization to their account and confirmed that they are paying for a Channel Package that should include those channels.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Please reply or Private message me with any ideas.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7969
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

ghuido, everytime that has happened to me it had been a problem with the rate codes that the local office has setup for the device.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #7970
ghuido

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
ghuido, everytime that has happened to me it had been a problem with the rate codes that the local office has setup for the device.
What process do I follow to correct that? Comcast Call Centers are awlas rolling the dice ..
Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #7971
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Unfortunately I have to play CSR roulette as well until I get one that is familiar with Cablecards and your local rates.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #7972
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Also, tweet @comcastcares with your problems and their national CSRs can point you in a better direction.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #7973
ghuido

Quote:
Unfortunately I have to play CSR roulette as well until I get one that is familiar with Cablecards and your local rates.
I'm one the phone with one of them now. They told me the Digital package is only on Outlet 1 and not on all Outlets. Have no idea how that is possible. Figure I would play along and say please add it to all the outlets. I wish Comcast had a number to go directly to Tech Support.

If not I'll send an email to We Can Help.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #7974
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
I'm one the phone with one of them now. They told me the Digital package is only on Outlet 1 and not on all Outlets. Have no idea how that is possible. Figure I would play along and say please add it to all the outlets. I wish Comcast had a number to go directly to Tech Support.

Hah, that's funny. I swear I think the CSRs are dumb as bricks.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #7975
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post

What they are calling a digital "outlet" is actually any device capable of processing encrypted digital channels such as a TiVo w/cablecard or an STB. One such device is included in the package. Each additional device incurs a "digital outlet" fee.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #7976
ghuido

Quote:
Hah, that's funny. I swear I think the CSRs are dumb as bricks.
To Recap that did not work at all. I took screenshots last night of my Cable Card Status information on the TIVO just in case.

I'll send an email to We Can Help Now.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #7977
jtreid

Quote:
Ok, so here's my latest bill for comcast. Each time I call to try to question the charges something gets screwed up and I lose something on my Tivos. Any advice?
Yeah! My advice is to get it where you want it and stop calling.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #7978
dwit

Geez, looks like Comcast Atlanta has gotten rid of analog cable, totally, completely.

All three of my Tivos connected to just the analog cable get absolutely zilch. Just realized this today, but I'm sure yesterday, or the day before I could.

Guess the only thing I'll really miss though is WGN.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #7979
HerronScott

Quote:

David,

What do you have in terms of number of TV's, outlets, TiVo's (models), cablecards, Comcast STB/DVR etc?

Interesting to see where you are they are still listing Basic Service and an added Premium channel but that varies from franchise to franchise. I believe they are trying to standardize on their "Digital" packages so for example we have Digital Preferred with 1 Premium (HBO) for $84.30 here.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #7980
ghuido

For Refernce purposes here is mine. It is NorthEast with 2 TIVO HD M Cable CArds.

Could not figure out a way to put it right on the post so it is an attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Com_Snapshot.jpg (93.1 KB, 315 views)