Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #61
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
What was the problem? I've been with UNS for probably two years now and haven't had any major problems. There has been an occasional billing hiccup with them in that the system locked me out for an hour or two but an email resolved that issue quickly.

The $95 yearly price is good and they max out my connection (1.4MB/sec) with 10 threads. Retention is OK. Anything within ~600 days is pretty solid. Anything from ~700-1000 days is OK if it comes with a decent amount of PAR2 files as I find that every file tends to be missing one or two parts.
Their ordering system broke in between the transfer process from Paypal back to them so the money left my account, went floating around in never, never land and they said they never got it. Between about 50 emails and 3 calls to Paypal and 4 calls to UsenetServer, I think we're finally straight. I went ahead and paid for a year. At $7.50 a month, its hard to argue with that price.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #62
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Although they don't have a yearly option, Usenetnow.net is a great service. They and Astraweb have the best completion and both don't remove content because of DMCA take down requests. Their customer service is fantastic and quick to respond. They go the extra mile to make sure their customers are satisfied. Their service is fast and reliable. I use and recommend them to friends and family.
I don't believe that Usenetnow/Blocknews doesn't comply with a takedown notices. As an indi, just haven't been targets for regular complaints and there is much more bang for the buck to be vigilante on sending notices to Highwinds and Giganews as they are backends for many usenet providers. Agree that they have great customer service. Got into their $48 per 6 month deal a couple years back and don't ever see leaving.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #63
innocentfreak

Heard good things also about astraweb. If you don't want the $96 option, they used to have an unadvertised option for $9 or so for unlimited with ssl. You may still find the link on slickdeals since they always post usenet deals there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #64
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Heard good things also about astraweb. If you don't want the $96 option, they used to have an unadvertised option for $9 or so for unlimited with ssl. You may still find the link on slickdeals since they always post usenet deals there.
Astraweb's been running a $11 a month unlimited deal for the last 3 years. It was advertised as being available for a limited time but it's still working.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #65
swifty

I'm using Supernews. I can saturate my connection and they have 800 day binary retention. They have an unlimited plan on special for only $9.99/mo
http://www.supernews.com/superspecial.html

I'm also using the Media Browser plugin for Windows Media Center to manage my files, it works really slick and has a lot of plugins.
http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

Last edited by swifty : 06-01-2011 at 11:26 PM.
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #66
Malcontent

FYI,

For those using Mac,

NZBVortex

http://www.nzbvortex.com/site/
Quote:
The small and efficient NZB client for OSX, optimized for performance and ease of use.
NZBVortex is very fast in comparison to other usenet clients because it will try to minimize the download size and has very fast postprocessing. NZBVortex will not only skip not-required par2 files, but also is able to skip sample files (optional) and has a extreme fast par2 pre-check called "SmartCheck". SmartCheck is able to detect if a par2 check is required at all; if not it will completely skip the lenghty par2 check! This is unique in NZBVortex!

NZBVortex is very feature complete and extremely tuned for optimal download speeds and minimal system usage.
A real set-and-forget download application: add a NZB and NZBVortex will take care of the rest.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #67
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

If I was seven years old again, my father probably would explain Usenet this way:

"It's where boogymen hang out and try to snatch little kids like you. If I catch you in there, I'll take away your computer."
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #68
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
"You're seven. You don't need to know anything about Usenet. Go outside and play ball."

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #69
2004raptor

SO how is NewsgroupDirect for a block account? I see they have a deal going for 1TB for $50. I think it ends tonight though. I was on the fence about Blocknews.net but this current deal seems perfect for what I would use. don't want/need unlimited so that's not a factor.

Does Newsgroupdirect take down content as discussed earlier in this thread?
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #70
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
SO how is NewsgroupDirect for a block account? I see they have a deal going for 1TB for $50. I think it ends tonight though. I was on the fence about Blocknews.net but this current deal seems perfect for what I would use. don't want/need unlimited so that's not a factor.

Does Newsgroupdirect take down content as discussed earlier in this thread?
Their a Highwinds reseller and they do remove content because of DMCA take down requests. If you download targeted content within a few days to a week of being posted, you shouldn't have a problem getting it.

Highwinds completion isn't as great as Blocknews.net as a whole. Blocknews.net doesn't remove content because of DMCA. Blocknews customer service is top notch. Their quick to respond.

That being said, the 1TB for $50 deal might be a fair trade off. It's a 50% discount on average prices for 1 Terabyte block.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #71
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Quote:
Their a Highwinds reseller and they do remove content because of DMCA take down requests. If you download targeted content within a few days to a week of being posted, you shouldn't have a problem getting it.

Highwinds completion isn't as great as Blocknews.net as a whole. Blocknews.net doesn't remove content because of DMCA. Blocknews customer service is top notch. Their quick to respond.

That being said, the 1TB for $50 deal might be a fair trade off. It's a 50% discount on average prices for 1 Terabyte block.
I jumped on this deal. This makes the 4th provider I've signed up with in the past 3 weeks. I originally signed up with a company that I used to be with a number of years ago and cancelled within their trial period. It turned out that, while they were a good deal back then, there were much better deals given how I intended to use them now. I then bought a 200 gb block from Newsdemon for $19. When I blew through nearly have of that in a couple of days, I signed up for an unlimited plan with UsenetServer for $10/month. I've gotten just about everything I wanted so I'll cancel that when my first month is up. Moving forward the 1 TB block should be sufficient.

All of these great deals are a blessing and a curse.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #72
2004raptor

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in turmoil. The deal seems great but I am not a user that will be looking daily. Maybe once a week or so. And i really can't download alot because comcast has their 250 GB cap/month anyway.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #73
Malcontent

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in turmoil. The deal seems great but I am not a user that will be looking daily. Maybe once a week or so. And i really can't download alot because comcast has their 250 GB cap/month anyway.
The 1 Terabyte block doesn't expire. It will last forever until it's all used up. Doesn't matter if it would take you 3-4 (or longer) years to use it all.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #74
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
You'll be able to download more with Usenet per month than you would with bittorrent what with the concurrent seeding and if you are a member of a private site with ratio standards, you will be using twice as much bandwidth as the file size just to avoid being kicked out.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #75
Idearat

Quote:
FYI,

For those using Mac,

NZBVortex

http://www.nzbvortex.com/site/
Works great for me. If I think of something I want I find the NZB and put in my Dropbox folder. NZBVortex monitors the same folder on my Mac Mini, deletes the NZB when it's used it.

I get an occasional file that it doesn't decode, but I just drag one of the files over to StuffIt Expander and I'm all set. Otherwise it's a whole lot tidier than BitTorrent. I'll only torrent things like obscure UK TV series that don't show up on Usenet or where I want to download the whole series at once.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #76
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Is there an easy way to search for, and save, NZBs to Dropbox... from an iPhone or iPad?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #77
2004raptor

Finally had some free time today and signed up for BlockNews. I am trying to use the SABnzd Wizard to enter my account info. I keep getting a 10061 error. Permission denied.
I know I have my username and password typed correctly. Server name is good. 119 is the Port and I clicked on SSL connections. Also I have set it to anywhere in between 8 and 20 connecitons.

I sent them a ticket but not sure how long they take to respond. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #78
2004raptor

OK, I think I figured it out. Appears to maybe be an issue with PeerBlock.

Now, it's connecting. But I have no idea how to use SABnzd.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #79
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Finally had some free time today and signed up for BlockNews. I am trying to use the SABnzd Wizard to enter my account info. I keep getting a 10061 error. Permission denied.
I know I have my username and password typed correctly. Server name is good. 119 is the Port and I clicked on SSL connections. Also I have set it to anywhere in between 8 and 20 connecitons.

Try using the eu server instead of the us server, to see if that works? Maybe the US server is down? When I signed up for a block last month, I had exactly the same problem you are describing (I don't recall the number of the error, though). Using the eu server solved it.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #80
2004raptor

Thansk danterner. I figured it out not long after I posted.

Still not sure what I'm doing with this. In the old days I would get a list of newsgroups and click on it to see the individual files posted under that group. Is that not how it works anymore or at least not how SABnzbd works? I see the ADD nzb button (which one of the posters here mentioned how to get this file) but I don't really have anything in mind. I just want to load up the groups and then decide where i want to go from there. Possible?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #81
Azlen

Quote:

Still not sure what I'm doing with this. In the old days I would get a list of newsgroups and click on it to see the individual files posted under that group. Is that not how it works anymore or at least not how SABnzbd works? I see the ADD nzb button (which one of the posters here mentioned how to get this file) but I don't really have anything in mind. I just want to load up the groups and then decide where i want to go from there. Possible?
I don't think that SABnzbd would be the right tool for that as I think that's more geared towards the usage of nzb files. If you just want to go old school, load up the groups and go from there, use an old school program like Xnews or something. http://xnews.newsguy.com/
I'm sure there are probably some newer newsreaders that could probably handle it better though.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #82
2004raptor

Yep, Xnews is what I used to use years ago. I've been reading a bit and I don't think it supports SSL without some other program. Jeesh, this used to be much simpler.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Do you all just use the nzb files?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #83
Malcontent

Quote:

If you want to use SSL connections, you have to use very specific ports on Blocknews. For SSL connections on either server, you may use either port 443, 563, 5563.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #84
Malcontent

Quote:

SABnzbd only handles NZB files. It isn't able to download headers to allow you to browse the groups like you wish.

To handle NZB and download headers you can use the free client 'GrabIt'. It's been a couple of years since it was last updated but it should work ok.

http://www.shemes.com/

For a paid alternative there is 'Newsleecher'and 'Newsbin'. It will handle both NZB and headers. I believe they both have free trial periods.

http://newsleecher.com/

http://newsbin.com/

For a super simple NZB only client (easier then Sabnzbd) there is 'Unzbin'. It's a free and super easy client that will do everything for you. But not headers.

http://www.unzbin.com/

Last edited by Malcontent : 06-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #85
danterner
Not it!

On the other hand, if you don't want to browse, I've found the combination of Snbnzb and Sick Beard to be phenomenal. Enter a show name in Sick Beard and it takes over from there - coordinating with Snbnzb and even post-processing.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #86
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:

There are usenet indexing websites. I use http://nzbindex.nl/, which will create (and save) an nzb file if one isn't provided by the original poster. Nzbindex can also create an RSS feed of search terms for use with SABnzbd's RSS feature, which makes it a nice "lights out" operation. Nzbindex has a limited number of groups that it indexes, but you can request to add a group in it's forum. There are other indexing sites, but a lot of them require registering to access them. I've got enough user IDs and passwords to remember, so I tend to avoid those.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #87
2004raptor

Alright, I''m giving sabnzbd go. Apparently PeerBlock doesn't get along with it. When I disable peerblock I can download. can anyone tell me how to allow blocknews without disabling peerblock?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #88
Malcontent

Quote:
Alright, I''m giving sabnzbd go. Apparently PeerBlock doesn't get along with it. When I disable peerblock I can download. can anyone tell me how to allow blocknews without disabling peerblock?
In my opinion peerblock is like a placebo.

People have reported getting busted for using torrents while using peerblock.

You don't need peerblock while using usenet. The only one who see's your IP address while downloading from Blocknews is Blocknews. They don't monitor what you download just how much you download. If you use SSL encryption, it's even more secure.

Another simple and free usenet client is "Unzibin".

http://www.unzbin.com/

Last edited by Malcontent : 06-12-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #89
cditty

Can someone explain to me how to setup a RSS feed using NZBMatrix? Using torrents, I would just subscribe to the rss feed for shows and filter accordingly. Using NZBMatrix, I see those same RSS feeds, but it's only limited to 25 results, has foreign languages and also contains older stuff.

Any examples would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #90
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cditty View Post
Can someone explain to me how to setup a RSS feed using NZBMatrix? Using torrents, I would just subscribe to the rss feed for shows and filter accordingly. Using NZBMatrix, I see those same RSS feeds, but it's only limited to 25 results, has foreign languages and also contains older stuff.

Any examples would be appreciated.
Are you a VIP member? Feeds are limited to 50 results only.

http://rss.nzbmatrix.com/

NZBMatrix API / RSS Forum:

http://nzbmatrix.com/forums.php?acti...rum&forumid=46