TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #7621
Kit_C

Please help diagnose

My upgrade to a WD15EVDS (see original post below) failed, and I'm starting to think my Tivo has other issues.

After deactivating IntelliPark and restoring an image from the original 320GB drive, I was able to get the Tivo to boot and show the expected storage. But after moving the unit into my entertainment center, I got hung up on the "Welcome. Powering UP" screen. I tried installing my original 320GB drive (which was working last week), and it too is getting hung up at the welcome screen.

Is it possible for the power supply to fail in a way that I get video out, but the power to the drive is interrupted? If that's the case, I think I may have intermittent or sagging power.

Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post
My OLED S3 hung at the welcome screen this week, and it turned out that my 4 year old Hitachi 1TB drive had died. Fortunately, I had the original 320GB drive, and was able to re-install this, update the software to the latest version, and get back online quickly.

After reading the FAQ, I purchased a WD15EVDS from my local Fry's ($72 for the bare drive). It has a manufacture date of Sept 27 2010, so I'm planning to turn off Intellipark using Wdidle3 prior to cloning my existing drive with WinMFS.

Here's my question: The link in the upgrade thread for Wdidle3 appears to be broken. I found Wdidle3 on a WD download page, but it has the following warning:

Am I OK using this version of Wdidle on my new EVDS, or is there something special about the version that is linked in the upgrade thread?

Thanks,

Kit
San Diego, CA

Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #7622
tchunnui

As an update, I ran wdidle3 and rebaked my drive over the weekend. Everything works after a little hang up after downloading the latest software. The manufacture date on the drive is March 14, 2011. I'm not sure if rebaking it solved the issue or if disabling intellipark did, but either way, it seems a lot of these newer drives are coming with intellipark that should probably be disabled. Thanks all for the help and suggestions, I'm back to having 2 tivos again!
tchunnui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #7623
richsadams

Note Intellipark Still An Issue

Ugh. Well, it appears that whatever happened between last September and more recently, things may be back to square one with respect to having to run wdidle3.exe to extend the timeout or disable the Intellipark feature on Western Digital GP and possibly AV/GP hard drives (of all sizes and manufacture dates) to avoid an initial boot or soft reboot problem.

Thanks to everyone for the data points!

FWIW I have reached out to bkdtv with regard to updating this thread's FAQ (first post), but haven't received a response to date. I'll try once more and if that doesn't work I'll contact one of the moderators for suggestions.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #7624
leiff

Is there any downside to having to run wdidle3? Will the WD drive work as well as one a little older that doesn't require wdidle3?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #7625
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Is there any downside to having to run wdidle3? Will the WD drive work as well as one a little older that doesn't require wdidle3?
No known differences with respect to TiVo. However there is some back-and-forth regarding simply adjusting the timeout from the eight second default to 300 seconds (/S300) OR disabling it completely. The discussion revolves around the impact on the lifespan of the drive itself. Both camps seem to have compelling positions with respect to why one or the other is better however neither side have any long-term proof that their position is actually correct. To date drives adjusted either way haven't started to fail en-masse either so the jury is still out.

FWIW I tend to fall into the 300 seconds camp if only from a gut feeling about the whole thing and knowing that was the original recommendation from others here and on other forums...and that it works perfectly fine in TiVo's case.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #7626
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

+1 on 300 seconds, FWIW
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #7627
mgar

Update on my WD10EARS Installation on my Tivo HD:

The drive I installed was manufactured AUG 2010 and does have the intellipark problem. This is the drive that I ordered a couple of weeks ago and received last week.

The Tivo stalled on the Welcome Screen during a soft reboot.

I removed the drive and ran wdidle3. I ran into one problem. For some reason if I ran wdidle3 to make sure it would see the drive, and then ran it again with the /s300 option it would hang, and then give an abort retry fail error.

After retrying on a second computer I found that if I just ran wdidle3 one time with the /s300 it worked just fine.
mgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #7628
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgar View Post
Update on my WD10EARS Installation on my Tivo HD:

The drive I installed was manufactured AUG 2010 and does have the intellipark problem. This is the drive that I ordered a couple of weeks ago and received last week.

The Tivo stalled on the Welcome Screen during a soft reboot.

I removed the drive and ran wdidle3. I ran into one problem. For some reason if I ran wdidle3 to make sure it would see the drive, and then ran it again with the /s300 option it would hang, and then give an abort retry fail error.

After retrying on a second computer I found that if I just ran wdidle3 one time with the /s300 it worked just fine.
I had the same issue a number of months ago. My suggestion was (back then) to just run it, but these threads get lost. What I did was run it with the options and then I did a reboot. When I checked again I found that it did change the settings.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #7629
aswann

Thank you!

Just a quick note to say a big Thank You to all have contributed to this thread. I upgraded my Series 3 last night and it went seamlessly thanks to all the info I got here. I purchased a WD10EVDS from NewEgg. I did run WD3IDLE on it to be safe. Used MFSLIVE with the SuperSize option and am now showing 156 HD hours. Whole thing took 2.5 hours start to finish and I had time to load the dishwasher, do a load of laundry (my wife was very happy when she got home) and watch part of a move on Netflix instant view while the copy was taking place. Feel really good about this solution since the original drive was getting some age on it. Now I have a backup of the OS on my computer and a spare drive on the shelf.
aswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #7630
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Current Configuration Possibilities?

I know things have changed since the original FAQ was published and searches return a lot of info, some conflicting.

Is there still a limit of 1350GB on the S3 OLED (1.5TB Drive) or can one now go 2TB on these?

I notice a lot of discussion on 2TB for the THD, but I am specifically talking the original model S3. I am looking to eliminate all external drives in the near future.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by larrs : 05-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #7631
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I know things have changed since the original FAQ was published and searches return a lot of info, some conflicting.

Is there still a limit of 1350MB on the S3 OLED (1.5TB Drive) or can one now go 2TB on these?

I notice a lot of discussion for 2TB for the THD, but I am specifically talking the original model S3. I am looking to eliminate all external drives in the near future.
Yes, the limit still applies for the DIY method here. However there are a couple of folks (DVRDude and Weaknees) that are selling 2TB drive upgrades for the original Series3.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #7632
ashu
User title defunct

New Datapoint : My March 2011 built WD10EVDS (1 TB Green WD) required a wdidle3 /D, otherwise my S3 was stuck in an infinite wait at "Welcome, Powering Up"

Sadly, my Vantec eSATA enclosure that housed the drive for this tweak/MFS imaging was recognized (chipset issue?) at bootup/Bios/DOS drivers on the wdidle3 disk image on the 4th system on which I tried. And I tried AHCI on/off and various permutations. The system that worked was the oldest I had access to,t hat had an eSATA. Sigh.

This was two days after the FIOS nistallation, at which time I was forced to accept (an icky, but vastly improved over the Comcast crud) Motorola DVR for the interim.

As always, thanks to the maintainers of this thread and the nice folks (you know who you are!) who make images available to those of us who can do it themselves. This situation should serve as a great reason to prep your TiV/drive/upgrade early, going the pre-built image route if you must, to ensure installation success by havnig it functional on the day your installer arrives.

Now I can only regret having to let the FIOS installer walk out with his bevy of M CableCards that he couldn't leave with me, and think about the right way to obtain the cards from Verizon and self-install them (call? write? petition my senator?) rathr than have a truck roll. And get rid of the rather-average VZ FIOS DVR! (mailback? Dropoff?)

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #7633
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yes, the limit still applies for the DIY method here. However there are a couple of folks (DVRDude and Weaknees) that are selling 2TB drive upgrades for the original Series3.
Thanks.

I am definitely going DIY. The last time I bought a DVRDude drive, it worked great but ultimately required a $35 truck roll from my cable company to fix cablecard pairing issues- making the total cost nearly $150 for a 1TB upgrade (or double what I can do the 1350GB upgrade for myself). I would much rather copy the info from my own drive...

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #7634
ChinaBull

Here's a random list of internal HD experiences in case there is a common thread.

About 3 years ago, I upgraded the internal 160G to a 1T Seagate ST3100005N1A1AS. Everything worked well until several weeks ago when the "30 second skip" skipped to the end instead of a 30 second skip. I rebooted, and the Tivo stuck in a reboot loop a the "Welcome to Tivo" screen.

On the assumption that it was a bad hard drive, I got a WD10EARS (Manufacture date 13 Sep 2010) to replace it. Install steps:
  1. Run WDIDLE3 to set Intellipark to 300 Seconds
  2. Use MFSLive to try to copy the old HD to the new HD, in case the drive wouldn't function in a Tivo environment, but possibly MFSLive could succeed. *Fail - at 1%, Seg faults and bad sectors appeared.
  3. Use MFSLive to copy the old 160G HD to the new 1T HD. The copy completed. I put it in the Tivo and tried to boot. *Fail - Gray screen of death.
  4. Giving up on Linux (I admit, I didn't pay my dues; no kernel recompile, no custom driver was written), I switched to WinMFS and copied again. *Failed - "Welcome screen of Death"
  5. Several more tries, finally it boots up all the way. I put the cover back on, only to find that it's stuck in the "Welcome screen of death" again.
  6. Further tries to reprogram seem to indicate success, but the delay is so long that the drive has clearly failed in the write mode. The WDS Diagnostics confirmed problems - many bad, unrepairable sectors.
  7. Switched to a spare 1T WD1001FALS drive, and it works. I don't know anything about how suitable that drive will be in a Tivo environment, but it seems to work at the moment.

Analysis - clearly the original Seagate has a problem; the Tivo thought there was a problem, which could have been a bum Tivo software update, but the bad sector issue was confirmed in another system. The kicker: I downloaded the Seagate DOS diagnostics to get a trouble code for the warranty - both a quick test and long test found no bad sectors. Hypothesis: The drive can function when read sequentially. And since Seagate will just throw the drive on a system with the same "test program", there's no point in trying to do a warranty return.

The WD10EARS failure:
  • Did the WDIDLE3 command mess up the drive firmware? I didn't find that model in the official list for the WDIDLE3 program.
  • Infant mortality?
  • Hopefully the use of WDIDLE3 won't void the warranty.

ChinaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #7635
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
.....The last time I bought a DVRDude drive, it worked great but ultimately required a $35 truck roll from my cable company to fix cablecard pairing issues.......
As I understand it, any upgrade method that doesn't use a backup image from your TiVo (e.g., DVR_DUDE, Instant Cake, image begged from another TiVo) is going to require re-pairing of the CableCARD(s) unless you happen to be on a cable system that doesn't enforce pairing, e.g., Verizon FIOS.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #7636
asteinfeld

Upgrade with DVR Expander?

Hello, all. I have an unmodified S3 to which I paired a WD MyDVR Expander a long time ago. I believe the primary drive is now dying (regular freezes and hanging reboots). So, I'm going to swap out the original drive before it gives up the ghost entirely. Can someone confirm that I can (must?) follow the steps as laid out in section IV(11) of the FAQ to install the new drive and pair it to my current WD external drive? Can someone also confirm that there is no way to copy over my current recordings to the new setup? (This last is no big deal, since I've been copying archived shows to the PC with Tivo Desktop, but I'd like to be sure I'm not missing an option).

Thanks much for your help.
asteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #7637
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteinfeld View Post
Hello, all. I have an unmodified S3 to which I paired a WD MyDVR Expander a long time ago. I believe the primary drive is now dying (regular freezes and hanging reboots). So, I'm going to swap out the original drive before it gives up the ghost entirely. Can someone confirm that I can (must?) follow the steps as laid out in section IV(11) of the FAQ to install the new drive and pair it to my current WD external drive? Can someone also confirm that there is no way to copy over my current recordings to the new setup? (This last is no big deal, since I've been copying archived shows to the PC with Tivo Desktop, but I'd like to be sure I'm not missing an option).

Its more likely your expander is failing, but in either case, if either drive fails, you have problems.

You would have to disconnect/divorce the expander drive before you can change a drive. You will lose any recordings since the expander was attached.

You would be better to change to a single drive setup with a 1 TB or larger drive than to rely on a 2 drive setup.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #7638
unitron

Quote:

You might want to make sure it's the internal drive and not the external that's going bad.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #7639
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Its more likely your expander is failing, but in either case, if either drive fails, you have problems.

You would have to disconnect/divorce the expander drive before you can change a drive. You will lose any recordings since the expander was attached.
This is not true, at all. First of all, dd_rescue can copy the failing drive to a similar or larger drive in an effort to effect repairs. Secondly, depending on drive sizes, WinMFS or MFS_Tools may be able to not only copy the information from the drives, but also merge them into one.

Quote:
You would be better to change to a single drive setup with a 1 TB or larger drive than to rely on a 2 drive setup.
True.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #7640
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
WinMFS or MFS_Tools may be able to not only copy the information from the drives, but also merge them into one.
Unfortunately that's been tried (many times) and it's not possible.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #7641
lrhorer

Quote:
Unfortunately that's been tried (many times) and it's not possible.
I don't recall exactly how I accomplished it, but I did it. The TiVo in my Livingroom has a single drive. It used to have two. There are still three recordings on it that far predate the upgrade.

I suspect success may have to do with the fact the internal drive was a stock 250G hard drive, not one expanded by WinMFS or MFS_Tools. Had that been the case, there would have been more than 2 MFS Media regions on it, and the upgrade would have been far more problematical.

Code:
HD_LivingRoom:/sbin# pdisk -l /dev/hda

stat: mode = 060660, type=Block
size = 0, blocks = 0
HDIO_GETGEO: heads=255, sectors=63, cylinders=51329, start=0,  total=824600385
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #:                type name                              length   base       ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                                 63 @ 1          (  31.5K)
 2:                Ext2 Hack 1                            524288 @ 64         ( 256.0M)
 3:               Image Kernel 1                            8192 @ 524352     (   4.0M)
 4:                Ext2 Root 1                            524288 @ 532544     ( 256.0M)
 5:                Ext2 Hack 2                            524288 @ 1056832    ( 256.0M)
 6:               Image Kernel 2                            8192 @ 1581120    (   4.0M)
 7:                Ext2 Root 2                            524288 @ 1589312    ( 256.0M)
 8:                Swap Linux Swap                        262144 @ 2113600    ( 128.0M)
 9:                Ext2 /var                              524288 @ 2375744    ( 256.0M)
10:                 MFS MFS application region            589824 @ 2900032    ( 288.0M)
11:                 MFS MFS media region               216747008 @ 3489856    ( 103.3G)
12:                 MFS Second MFS application region     589824 @ 220236864  ( 288.0M)
13:                 MFS Second MFS media region        268617728 @ 220826688  ( 128.0G)
14:                 MFS Third MFS applicatioon region       4096 @ 489444416  (   2.0M)
15:                 MFS Third MFS media region        1465144320 @ 489448512  ( 698.6G)
16:          Apple_Free Extra                          975684336 @ 1954592832 ( 465.2G)
Note the expanded Hack partitions were created by me after the fact.

Last edited by lrhorer : 05-29-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #7642
unitron

Quote:
I don't recall exactly how I accomplished it, but I did it. The TiVo in my Livingroom has a single drive. It used to have two. There are still three recordings on it that far predate the upgrade.

I suspect success may have to do with the fact the internal drive was a stock 250G hard drive, not one expanded by WinMFS or MFS_Tools. Had that been the case, there would have been more than 2 MFS Media regions on it, and the upgrade would have been far more problematical.

Code:
HD_LivingRoom:/sbin# pdisk -l /dev/hda

stat: mode = 060660, type=Block
size = 0, blocks = 0
HDIO_GETGEO: heads=255, sectors=63, cylinders=51329, start=0,  total=824600385
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
 #:                type name                              length   base       ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                                 63 @ 1          (  31.5K)
 2:                Ext2 Hack 1                            524288 @ 64         ( 256.0M)
 3:               Image Kernel 1                            8192 @ 524352     (   4.0M)
 4:                Ext2 Root 1                            524288 @ 532544     ( 256.0M)
 5:                Ext2 Hack 2                            524288 @ 1056832    ( 256.0M)
 6:               Image Kernel 2                            8192 @ 1581120    (   4.0M)
 7:                Ext2 Root 2                            524288 @ 1589312    ( 256.0M)
 8:                Swap Linux Swap                        262144 @ 2113600    ( 128.0M)
 9:                Ext2 /var                              524288 @ 2375744    ( 256.0M)
10:                 MFS MFS application region            589824 @ 2900032    ( 288.0M)
11:                 MFS MFS media region               216747008 @ 3489856    ( 103.3G)
12:                 MFS Second MFS application region     589824 @ 220236864  ( 288.0M)
13:                 MFS Second MFS media region        268617728 @ 220826688  ( 128.0G)
14:                 MFS Third MFS applicatioon region       4096 @ 489444416  (   2.0M)
15:                 MFS Third MFS media region        1465144320 @ 489448512  ( 698.6G)
16:          Apple_Free Extra                          975684336 @ 1954592832 ( 465.2G)
Note the expanded Hack partitions were created by me after the fact.
You've got a Series 1 partition layout, almost 500GB of unused space, Boot 1 and Boot 2 should be where your hack partitions are, and I fear your swap partition is seriously undersized.

Maybe it'll work long-term, but I'd advise you to get a big ol' drive, make it all one NT partition, put it in a computer running TiVo Desktop, and copy over everything religiously.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #7643
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You've got a Series 1 partition layout
No, it's not.

Quote:
almost 500GB of unused space
That's the most Win_MFS could manage. I know there is a custom image out there that allows a full 1.5T on an S3, but if I took advantage of it, I would lose my recordings. I'm not prepared to do that at this time. In any case, the current size is enough for this machine.

Quote:
Boot 1 and Boot 2 should be where your hack partitions are
The order of the partitions is not important as long as the bootpage is correct. In any case, that's where TiVo put them, which is to say, the order in which TiVo put them. The starting sectors are, of course, my doing.

Quote:
and I fear your swap partition is seriously undersized.
Not really. It's big enough to handle a GSOD - not that I have had any GSODs since moving to a single drive. In any case, as I said before, that's what TiVo created. Actually, I thought about increasing the swap space when I migrated to the 1.5T drive, but I decided against it.

Quote:
Maybe it'll work long-term, but I'd advise you to get a big ol' drive
An 18T array isn't big?

Quote:
make it all one NT partition
Why would I create a partition? Why would I format it as NT? Don't be silly.

Quote:
put it in a computer running TiVo Desktop, and copy over everything religiously.
Why would I run that POS? It certainly wouldn't do anything for me that I can't do far better with kmttg or TyTool, but none of them would be of any help. The videos I would want to save are all encrypted and copy protected.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #7644
richsadams

Quote:

Sounds interesting but over the years a lot of folks have tried it without success and according to Spike, the author of winMFS it simply cannot be done...at least using winMFS or MFSTools. There are umpteen posts on his forum from folks (including yours truly) asking if it's possible to save all recordings on internal and external TiVo drives (stock or upgraded) and merge them onto one. Spike's repeated answer is an unwavering "no". Those that tried almost to a one said that even though they were able to move everything to one drive they immediately encountered the "external drive missing" error on boot up and couldn't get any further or that the new drive would not boot up at all. On a number of early posts (which would have only covered the Series3 at the time) he explained why...can't recall now all of the details...something to do with partitions or Kernel issues or something or other, you'd have to search.

If somehow it were possible it would certainly be a enorumously helpful find and step-by-step instructions would be most welcome. I suspect however that if someone were to figure it out, it would probably require something beyond a winMFS/MFSTools user's capabilities.

That said, if there's a way to do it...bring it on as they say!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:00 PM   #7645
asteinfeld

Quote:

Thank you, and to the others who have replied. The wife had reported hearing a grinding sound from the TiVo, which led me to suspect it rather than the expander (the TiVo's fan seems fine).

I hadn't thought about simply ditching the Expander, which is a good suggestion (though why is it more likely that the Expander is failing rather than the older original drive?)

Still, am I correct that if I divorce the external drive and install a new internal drive, I will not be able to "plug and play" an external drive in the future?
asteinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #7646
richsadams

Quote:
Still, am I correct that if I divorce the external drive and install a new internal drive, I will not be able to "plug and play" an external drive in the future?
If you want to upgrade your TiVo Series3 via the instructions in the FAQ (first post) that is correct.

The DIY upgrade using winMFS is really quite simple and inexpensive (<$70). Most folks opt for a 1TB upgrade (although you can go slightly larger using a 1.5TB drive w/about 1.3TB being available).

If you really need more space a couple of folks are offering 2TB upgrades for Series3 TiVo's: DVRDude on eBay and Weaknees. The cost is certainly higher, but it's an option.

As others have recommended, going to a single internal drive is your best bet. The WD My DVR Expanders only have a one-year warranty (as opposed to a 3 year for an internal) and have a fairly poor track record. A single internal drive removes a second point of failure and loss of recordings as you may have to experience.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #7647
lrhorer

Quote:
Sounds interesting but over the years a lot of folks have tried it without success and according to Spike, the author of winMFS it simply cannot be done...at least using winMFS or MFSTools. There are umpteen posts on his forum from folks (including yours truly) asking if it's possible to save all recordings on internal and external TiVo drives (stock or upgraded) and merge them onto one. Spike's repeated answer is an unwavering "no".
I don't know what to tell you. It's been a couple of years, so I really don't recall how I did it. I'm almost certain I did not divorce the external drive, though. If I had, I would have lost those recordings. I went through my posts with the term "Antec" in them, and I see references to my 250G + 750G setup as early as May 2007. While that is just a bit after the three recordings were made, I could swear at least two of them were made after the marriage. I can't absolutely guarantee anything that long ago, of course. Too bad I didn't report in this thread when I did the marriage. Then we would know for sure.

Quote:
If somehow it were possible it would certainly be a enorumously helpful find and step-by-step instructions would be most welcome. I suspect however that if someone were to figure it out, it would probably require something beyond a winMFS/MFSTools user's capabilities.
Well, I don't really recall the details, as I say. Certainly I have modified and copied the partitions on my TiVos from time to time.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #7648
Qwertinsky

Just thought I would add a successful Tivo-HD upgrade report.

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS Manufactured March 2011

Followed the "TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings" directions

Plus section 14. ran wdidle /D 3720 seconds (62.0 minutes)

I soft rebooted it twice and had no problems starting up.
Qwertinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #7649
richsadams

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you. It's been a couple of years, so I really don't recall how I did it. I'm almost certain I did not divorce the external drive, though. If I had, I would have lost those recordings. I went through my posts with the term "Antec" in them, and I see references to my 250G + 750G setup as early as May 2007. While that is just a bit after the three recordings were made, I could swear at least two of them were made after the marriage. I can't absolutely guarantee anything that long ago, of course. Too bad I didn't report in this thread when I did the marriage. Then we would know for sure.

Well, I don't really recall the details, as I say. Certainly I have modified and copied the partitions on my TiVos from time to time.
FWIW when I and IIRC some others reported divorcing our external drives (which were added with the KS62 hack) there were indeed some recordings left that were made after the external drive was attached. (I think things have changed since then because I never hear of that happening now.)

It was apparent back then that not every recording was striped across both drives...but most were. So it's quite possible that some of your recordings made after the eSATA drive was added were intact after divorcing the drive. To that point I'm almost certain you must have divorced the drive before upgrading. There are several reports of folks that didn't and they ended up basically bricking their internal drive and had to go with an IC image to get back to square one.

In any case, if you or anyone else ever sorts out how to save all of the recordings on an internal and external drives and migrate them to a single internal drive there are many cold beers waiting!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #7650
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertinsky View Post
Just thought I would add a successful Tivo-HD upgrade report.

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS Manufactured March 2011

Followed the "TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions: Preserves Settings and Recordings" directions

Plus section 14. ran wdidle /D 3720 seconds (62.0 minutes)

I soft rebooted it twice and had no problems starting up.
Nice! Congrats and enjoy!