TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #61
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, I got thumbnail images working ... as long as the files are in the same directory as the videos. Any chance on allowing them in the .meta directory with the metadata files? I tried moving them in there but then they don't show up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #62
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Ok, I got thumbnail images working ... as long as the files are in the same directory as the videos. Any chance on allowing them in the .meta directory with the metadata files? I tried moving them in there but then they don't show up.
Shouldn't be too difficult. If I get a chance, I'll look at it when I get home tonight. Two or three days at the most
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #63
jbernardis

Version 0.2e is now available at github - see my signature for a link.

This version supports artwork in the .meta subdirectory. Search order for thumbnail art:
1) <fn>.jpg
2) .meta/<fn>.jpg
3) folder.jpg
4) .meta/folder.jpg

I didn't really put this through the paces - it was a very easy change. Please let me know if I screwed something up.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #64
windracer
joined the 10k club

Hmmm ... not working for me. They show up in the normal folder, but not when in the .meta folder. Any type of debugging or logging I can enable?

|
Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #65
jbernardis

Let me try a few things tonight - like I said I didn't put it through the paces so maybe I overlooked something.

Sorry about that

Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #66
jbernardis

OK - it was a stupid mistake. Version 0.2f properly implements the artwork feature. This time I actually did some testing.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #67
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yup, that did it. Thanks!!

|
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #68
jbernardis

I had to deliver another fix. I closed up two holes - both having to do with video deletion. 1) if the meta file was in the .meta directory it was not being deleted, and 2) the artwork file, regardless of what directory it was in, was not being deleted.

These have been fixed. Follow the link in my signature to get the update.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #69
windracer
joined the 10k club

I gave ThumbGen a try and managed to get it to automatically download the thumbnails for my movies and drop them, correctly named, in each .meta folder of my video library. I had to do some minor cleanup where it picked the foreign language image (for whatever reason) other than that it worked pretty well.

Pretty neat.

|
Old 05-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #70
windracer
joined the 10k club

Two quick things:

- in the README.TXT, there's a typo:

Quote:
The view into which this graphic is placed is 320 pixels wide by 44 pixels high. If your graphic exceeds those dimensions it will be cropped.
I think that should be 444, not 44?

- any reason why vidmgr is hiding .TiVo files? I added it to my exts= line in config.ini but they don't show up. They do appear in pyTivo.

|
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #71
jbernardis

Quote:
Two quick things:

- in the README.TXT, there's a typo:

I think that should be 444, not 44?

- any reason why vidmgr is hiding .TiVo files? I added it to my exts= line in config.ini but they don't show up. They do appear in pyTivo.
You are correct. I will fix the readme. Sorry if this caused an issue for you.

I updated git, but did not change the version number.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #72
jbernardis

Didn't see your second question - no reason to hide the .tivo files. I just don't have any in my collection so I never included them. They should show up if you include them in the exts line. This is the line that does this check:

if os.path.splitext(name)[1].lower() in goodexts:

so in other words, the file extension is forced to lower case and compared with what you have in your exts. Do you have mixed case in your config file? Try it with all lower case and see if that works. I can also just force both of them to lower.

This is one of those things that is difficult between Windows (which is not case sensitive for file names) and linux (which is). No matter which way I choose, somebody isn't happy.

Let me know if that was your issue.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #73
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yep, that was it. I'm on Linux so I put .TiVo in my config.file. Changed that to just .tivo and they show up now. Thanks!

|
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #74
jcthorne

Quote:
I gave ThumbGen a try and managed to get it to automatically download the thumbnails for my movies and drop them, correctly named, in each .meta folder of my video library. I had to do some minor cleanup where it picked the foreign language image (for whatever reason) other than that it worked pretty well.

Pretty neat.
Could you take a look at the .nfo and .tgmd files it generates and see if it might be possible to parse out the pytivo metadata .txt file from the info they contain?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #75
windracer
joined the 10k club

I turned off all the metadata stuff and was using it just for thumbnails. The moviescreens it could generate were pretty neat, though. To bad we can't use those with vidmgr!

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can check those files ...

|
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #76
reneg

Loaded this app up yesterday, and it's pretty nice. Thanks for making it available.

I ran into a problem with directory/share traversal. I have lots of pyTivo shares defined (>30) and when I navigate to shares on the second and subsequent pages for directories/shares, and then enter a directory (share), the files within that share are wrong, they typical display files from shares that would be on the first page. It's like the offsets are off.

Just curious how others deal with displaying TV series. I prefer chronological sort of <series>.sXXeYY, so alpha sorting on title doesn't work for me.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #77
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Loaded this app up yesterday, and it's pretty nice. Thanks for making it available.

I ran into a problem with directory/share traversal. I have lots of pyTivo shares defined (>30) and when I navigate to shares on the second and subsequent pages for directories/shares, and then enter a directory (share), the files within that share are wrong, they typical display files from shares that would be on the first page. It's like the offsets are off.

Just curious how others deal with displaying TV series. I prefer chronological sort of <series>.sXXeYY, so alpha sorting on title doesn't work for me.
My TV series are in a folder labeled TV Shows. Then seperate folders per series. Then in each series folder I have a folder for every season. This is just how the program I use organizes my content though.

As a result all of my listings are just alphabetical. The episodes seem to be in order by episode number though.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #78
jbernardis

I do something similar to innocentfreak. I have a single share and under that I have folders for TV, Movies, Podcasts, Sports, and Home Movies. And then under these, I organize. For example, under Movies, I have 8 or 9 genre, and under TV, I have a folder for each show title (and under that I have a folder for each season). I have the episode number - and sometimes the season number - as the first part of the file name and as the first part of the title in the metafile. That way they sort into episode order in pytivo and windows, as well as on my PS3. I find this organization works well for me.

Reneg - could you explain a little better about the issue you are seeing where it is displaying the wrong thing? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug or two lurking in there somewhere, but I need to know the exact curcumstances under which it occurs if I'm going to fix it.

It almost sounds, from your explanation, that you have shares within shares.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #79
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I do something similar to innocentfreak. I have a single share and under that I have folders for TV, Movies, Podcasts, Sports, and Home Movies. And then under these, I organize. For example, under Movies, I have 8 or 9 genre, and under TV, I have a folder for each show title (and under that I have a folder for each season). I have the episode number - and sometimes the season number - as the first part of the file name and as the first part of the title in the metafile. That way they sort into episode order in pytivo and windows, as well as on my PS3. I find this organization works well for me.

Reneg - could you explain a little better about the issue you are seeing where it is displaying the wrong thing? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bug or two lurking in there somewhere, but I need to know the exact curcumstances under which it occurs if I'm going to fix it.

It almost sounds, from your explanation, that you have shares within shares.
My directory structure is flat. I have one share per TV series, and under each share is all the episodes of that series. I have enough shares that I have to scroll down to see them all. I think to recreate, it was as simple as scrolling down twice and selecting a directory. For example, scrolling down to the Modern Family share, I would get episodes to Big Bang Theory displayed. I'll verify the steps when I get home tonight. It behaved the same on a Tivo HD & a Premiere.

[Edit] If I scroll down one page on the shares screen and select a directory, it pulls the episodes from the first entry on the previous page. For each position I move down on the second page of shares, it pulls the episodes from the first page. Second row, second page pulls second row, first page. Third row, second page pulls third row, first page. First row, third page pulls first row, first page. etc..

Last edited by reneg : 05-23-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #80
txporter
One sec, almost done

I just started playing around with this. Very cool! My wife would love to be able to push from the Tivo rather than having me push from the browser interface.

How would I go about changing the sorting order to be based on filename rather than metadata? Or how about only using the metadata Title rather than seriesTitle:Title? My files are all jumbled up with alphabetical sorting right now.

If I want to use the HD menu on vidmgr, do I need to actually be using the HD menu on my Tivo or can a resolution change be forced in the application?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #81
jcthorne

Yes it would be very helpful if there was a way to display episode numbers and sort in the correct order for tv shows. Short of editing each metadata file to add episode numbers to the titles, could it sort by episode number if its present and then by file name? ( I am more asking for discussion than resolution just yet as I am not sure the best way to go, just that tv series do not currently show the episode numbers nor sort in order. Open to suggestion here on how best to do this or use the tool.)

Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #82
txporter
One sec, almost done

Yeah, I agree. I have a mod'd version of pytivometathis that adds the episode number before the title, so my metadata looks like this:
Code:
seriesTitle : Torchwood
title : Everything Changes
episodeTitle : 101-Everything Changes
originalAirDate : 2006-10-22T00:00:00Z
description : WPC Gwen Cooper is at the scene of a brutal murder, when the "special ops," known only as Torchwood, arrive. After witnessing the group bring the dead man back to life, Gwen goes in pursuit of this mysterious organisation, only to see weirder things than she could ever imagine existed. Soon after, she begins to regret giving in to her curiosity, when she meets Captain Jack Harkness. 
isEpisode : true
seriesId : SH947230
episodeNumber : 101
vProgramGenre : Action and Adventure
vProgramGenre : Drama
vProgramGenre : Science-Fiction
vSeriesGenre : Action and Adventure
vSeriesGenre : Drama
vSeriesGenre : Science-Fiction
vDirector : Brian Kelly
vWriter : Russell T. Davies
vGuestStar : Paul Kasey
vGuestStar : Mark Heal
vGuestStar : Gary Shepheard
vGuestStar : Gwilym Havard Davies
vGuestStar : Cathryn Davies
vGuestStar : Jams Thomas
vGuestStar : Dion Davis
vGuestStar : Gwyn Vaughan-Jones
vGuestStar : Jason May
vGuestStar : Tom Price
vGuestStar : Guy Lewis
vGuestStar : Rhys Swinburn
vGuestStar : Olwen Medi
vActor : John Barrowman
vActor : Eve Myles
vActor : Gareth David-Lloyd
vActor : Naoko Mori
vActor : Burn Gorman
I have trouble reading through python code since I am not a programmer, but what I wrote before is not correct. I think it was displaying title:episodeTitle whereas I would like it to just be episodeTitle or to sort by filename.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #83
jcthorne

I never had much luck with pytivometathis and stuck with metagenerator. My metadata files only have episode data in the episodeNumber field. And in the file name but the file names are not all consistant from one tv series to the next. Although and alpha sort of the file name or episodeNumber either one would work in my case.

I think perhaps would like to see video manager display the episode number and sort for it for items with isEpisode = true. That might work in both cases?

Just noticed another difference between metagenerator data and yours from pytivometathis. for metagenerator, title and seriestitle are the same, only episode title contains the episode title information.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #84
txporter
One sec, almost done

Yes, metagenerator and pytivometathis do have different information in the different fields. I used to use metagenerator (and still do in the times when pytivometathis cannot grab the show correctly), which makes the alphabetical jumble even worse.

I transcode all of my own shows, which makes the filename consist at least for me. That would be my preferred approach (which I believe is what pytivo does??). I think sorting by episodenumber might also work like you say. Not sure what my Movies folder would look like exactly...but that is sort of a mess anyhow. I have both .mpg and .mp4 files in that folder and pytivo currently sorts those lists separately (.mp4 sorted alphabetically first and then .mpg listed alphabetically). Dunno.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #85
jbernardis

When I originally wrote this program, I was developing based on my own library which consists mostly of movies - no episode numbers there. However, I can see where this can be useful. I just want to find out how it should be done. I have to write my program to be general. I can't say I want to sort on episode numbers because that does not indicate what should happen to those files that do not have an episode number, or what about those files that don't even have a metafile?

Here's what I presently do:

1) If I have episode title and series title, then the string seriestitle:episodetitle is the key.
2) If I only have episode title it is the key
3) If I only have series title it is the key
4) Otherwise the filename is the key.

Once I've determined the key for everything, I sort into key order putting directories first.

I can certainly add an option to sort on file name only beacuse that is a universal attribute. The question is how and where to consider the episode number. It probably makes sense to consider the episode number OR the episode name, but not both. SO I would propose adding two entries to the front of the above list

-1) If I have episode number and series title, the the string series title:episode number is the key.
0) If I only have the episode number, then it is the key.

and then the above list. I can add an option to ignore the episode number too, to keep with the original algorithm

This will create screwy things if the meta data is weird and you have some that have an episode number and some that don't for example. Garbage in - garbage out.

There is another potential issue here: episode number is not always a numeric value. I've seen things like E01, or even S01E07. I don't think I want to parse this string to get the numeric values, so I'd like to treat it as a string. The problem with this is that "10" sorts before "2" which of course is not what you want. People would have to enter their episode numbers with a consistent length (e.g. 01, 02, 03, ... if there are more than 9).

Would this suffice? Let me know. I'm probably not going to get to this until after Memorial Day, but this will give us a few days to better define the scope.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #86
txporter
One sec, almost done

I like your list and the ability to ignore episode number with a setting.

How hard is it to add a setting for what metadata string to display on the Tivo? I organize most everything by series (I have a bunch of folders based on series name) since most of what we watch are TV shows rather than movies. I would prefer to set something so that I only see the episodeTitle for videos that have 'isEpisode : true' and only title for everything else.

Then a similar setting could be made for sorting. Sort based on filenames or metadata.

Thanks for your work! This is a really cool piece of software. I currently never pull anything with pytivo anymore. I only navigate to my shares when I want to look to see what is available. I then log in with my iphone to push the episodes that I want to watch. This shortcuts all of that. Very nice.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #87
jbernardis

I'm glad it turned out useful. My original purpose was just to explore the HME and hopefullly provide an example that others might benefit from. I think that wmcbrine has done us all a big favor by porting all of this to python. It really provides a nice application development environment.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #88
jbernardis

I can certainly think about alternate display formats. Right now the sort value and the display text are basically the same thing. I was thinking I'd have to separate these two to have the various sort options, and if I'm going to separate them, it shouldn't prove too tough to have alternatives for display. Again, I'll think on it for a few days while I'm at the shore; we'll probably have something towards the middle to end of next week. I want to explore reneg's issue too - that has be perplexed right now, so I've got to do some debugging there.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #89
reneg

I think you can check the force_alpha option from the pyTivo.conf file which is a per share option (see get_files in plugin.py). Ideally, I'd like to see episodeTitle & episodeNumber displayed if possible. I make a one line change in the pytivo template to display filename instead of title since my filenames contain SxxExx data so I don't have to drill down another level to see episode number data.

Streambaby has an option, sort.filename=true
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #90
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I want to explore reneg's issue too - that has be perplexed right now, so I've got to do some debugging there.
Maybe this will help, I put a few prints. I hit the channel down key once, and then pressed the select key on the top entry on the second page. I think the problem is in drawScreenList.
Code:
C:\pyhme>c:\python26\python start.py
HME Server for Python 0.19
Not using Zeroconf:
Tue May 24 20:07:06 2011 Server Starts
192.168.1.92:51674 - - [24/May/2011 20:07:24] "GET /vidmgr/icon.png HTTP/1.0" 20
0 -
192.168.1.92:51752 - - [24/May/2011 20:07:36] "GET /vidmgr/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.92:51752 - - [24/May/2011 20:07:36] Starting HME: vidmgr
Enter pressShares: shareSelection =  0  shareOffset =  0
Exit  pressShares: shareSelection =  0  shareOffset =  12
Enter pressShares: shareSelection =  0  shareOffset =  12
Enter drawScreenList: shareSelection =  0  shareOffset =  12
Enter pressShares: shareSelection =  0  shareOffset =  12
192.168.1.92:51752 - - [24/May/2011 20:08:28] Ending HME: vidmgr
192.168.1.92:51756 - - [24/May/2011 20:08:29] "GET /vidmgr/icon.png HTTP/1.0" 20
0 -