TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #7591
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I'm pretty sure this will work but wanted to run it by the experts just in case there's something wrong with my logic ...

I'm tired of having the 1TB WD Expander hanging off of my OLED S3 (original internal drive). Rather than having to deal with finding one of the specific models of drives that will work (as listed in this thread), I figure I could just divorce the Expander, make a truncated backup of the internal drive with WinMFS, crack open the Expander and take out the 1TB drive, restore the image to it and use it as the single internal drive. I'm willing to lose the extra 320gb of recording capacity by just keeping that stock drive around in case of emergency.

Any flaws in my logic here?
No flaws that I can see. I guess my only concern would be the lifespan of the external drive (which s/b a WD10XXVS drive). If it's been in service for a while it means that it may be that much closer to failure. If you can spare the money I'd suggest just getting a new 1TB (or even 1.5TB) drive. That way you'll have a little peace of mind and a 3 year warranty.

Otherwise I think you'll be good to go!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #7592
windracer
joined the 10k club

Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, the age of the drive is a factor, but at this point it's newer than the stock internal drive!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #7593
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Any flaws in my logic here?
I'd think you could get more value from selling the expander and buying a new 1TB drive.
If I'm cracking stuff open, I'd rather stick a new one in there.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #7594
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, you're probably right about re-selling the Expander. Maybe I should just do that and then put the money towards a WD10EVDS instead.

|
Old 05-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #7595
tchunnui

I hope this is the right place to post, but I had a drive fail on a Series 3. I got a WD5000AAKX as a replacement. Ran instantcake on it which seemed to work correctly and took a few minutes to write to the disk. Now, however, I'm stuck at welcome! powering up where it loops continuously. It'll show the screen for about a minute then restart and do the same thing over and over. Any suggestions on how to fix this please? Thanks!
tchunnui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #7596
eskay

Just adding another data point...

I installed a Western Digital WD20EVDS into my S3. Got stuck on "Powering Up". Disabled Intellipark and now it boots okay. Did a restart and still okay.

Model: WD20EVDS-63T3B0
Serial #WCAVY6773253
Date: 03 MAR 2011

[edit] I should add that I limited WinMFS to 1Tb and am showing 212 hours of recording capacity. I went with the 2Tb drive because it was cheaper than 1.5Tb and in case I re-purpose it for computer use down the road.

Last edited by eskay : 05-19-2011 at 12:49 AM.
eskay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #7597
ashu
User title defunct

Finally about to switch to Verizon FIOS (installation scheduled for next week).

This means I really should finally revive my S3 with a new hard drive.

Which means I am posting an open request to one of the kind usual suspects to point me to an S3 image!
(to clarify, my 250GB drive is dead, unrevivable a,d not useful as a source!)

At least losing the Comcast cable card pairing info won't be painful, since I'm ditching Comcast as well! Can anyon confirm that FIOS continues to not pair cards to the TiVo? So were I to 'upgrade' to a Premiere I could retain ONE of the two M-Cards I'll get from Verizon for reuse in the Premiere in multi-stream mode, and return the other, without requiring a future truck roll?

Also, requesting a confirmation that the 1TB WD 10EVCS and 10EVDS are two of the supported/reliable/recommended upgrade options for the S3. About to pull the trigger at Newegg for 69.99

Thanks!

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #7598
ashu
User title defunct

Update - I found Rich'spost with the model numbers and ordered the hard drive (10EVDS).

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #7599
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchunnui View Post
I hope this is the right place to post, but I had a drive fail on a Series 3. I got a WD5000AAKX as a replacement. Ran instantcake on it which seemed to work correctly and took a few minutes to write to the disk. Now, however, I'm stuck at welcome! powering up where it loops continuously. It'll show the screen for about a minute then restart and do the same thing over and over. Any suggestions on how to fix this please? Thanks!
Just throwing an idea out: Did you have to use, or change any jumpers on the drive while running the IC program. If so, is the jumper removed or correct for the drive to now operate in the Tivo?

Also, are the sata and power cables properly connected to the drive now that it's back in Tivo?

Finally, did you check to see if it is necessary to adjust "intellipark" settings for that particular drive model?

Good luck?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #7600
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
Which means I am posting an open request to one of the kind usual suspects to point me to an S3 image!
Hey ashu, haven't seen you around in a while ... welcome back (or, if I've just missed seeing your posts and you've never left, hello again!).

PM sent.

|
Old 05-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #7601
tchunnui

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Just throwing an idea out: Did you have to use, or change any jumpers on the drive while running the IC program. If so, is the jumper removed or correct for the drive to now operate in the Tivo?

Also, are the sata and power cables properly connected to the drive now that it's back in Tivo?

Finally, did you check to see if it is necessary to adjust "intellipark" settings for that particular drive model?

Good luck?
Thank you for the reply. There were no jumpers on the drive at all and I noted there was also not one on the original drive I removed either. The cables are properly seated and the drive spins up when I have power to the tivo. I'm not sure if I need to do "intellipark" but from what I have read on here so far, it seems this drive, manufactured in March 2011, shouldn't need to have this done. I'm not sure what else to do.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #7602
dwit

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. There were no jumpers on the drive at all and I noted there was also not one on the original drive I removed either. The cables are properly seated and the drive spins up when I have power to the tivo. I'm not sure if I need to do "intellipark" but from what I have read on here so far, it seems this drive, manufactured in March 2011, shouldn't need to have this done. I'm not sure what else to do.
Just for the sake of discussion, how did you come to conclude your previous drive failed? Did you run the typical diagnostics; kickstarts, mfr diagnostics, etc? Just trying to determine if you had already ruled out power supply issues.

Also, did you run any diagnostics on the new drive?

Finally, although I never used IC for the S3 or Tivo HD, I did use it several years ago for a couple of Series 2 boxes. Have you reviewed the IC procedures. Specifically, as I recall for mine, did you get the message from the IC process that your dirve was "baked", and ready to install in the Tivo. Also, that that you have the correct IC image for your specific model?
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #7603
eskay

Quote:
[snip]
I'm not sure if I need to do "intellipark" but from what I have read on here so far, it seems this drive, manufactured in March 2011, shouldn't need to have this done.
[snip]
Yeah...I didn't think mine did either, but it did. See my msg above.
eskay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #7604
tchunnui

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Just for the sake of discussion, how did you come to conclude your previous drive failed? Did you run the typical diagnostics; kickstarts, mfr diagnostics, etc? Just trying to determine if you had already ruled out power supply issues.

Also, did you run any diagnostics on the new drive?

Finally, although I never used IC for the S3 or Tivo HD, I did use it several years ago for a couple of Series 2 boxes. Have you reviewed the IC procedures. Specifically, as I recall for mine, did you get the message from the IC process that your dirve was "baked", and ready to install in the Tivo. Also, that that you have the correct IC image for your specific model?
The old drive did not spin at all as far as I could tell, I also took it out of the Tivo box and plugged it into the computer to test and it wasn't even recognized so I couldn't perform any diagnostics on it either. I did do diagnostic on the new drive and it was fine. I did get a confirmation from IC that the image was "baked" successfully and it was for the correct model Tivo.

I read about the power supply issues and think that's a possibility, but if that's the case, I can't find a cheap power supply and would probably be better off just buying a refurb Premiere. I'd like to save the S3 if possible however, so that's why I'm going this route first.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #7605
tchunnui

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay View Post
Yeah...I didn't think mine did either, but it did. See my msg above.
Thanks, I suppose I could give that a try. I had read it was only on the Caviar Green drives that were doing that and since this is a Caviar Blue, I didn't think it needed it. Worth a shot anyway to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #7606
Alvysyngr

I have a Series 3 OLED TCD648250B - am I going to ok using this as an upgrade drive?

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-490-_-Product

I see a lot of back and forth but want to try to make the best decision so I don't get stuck with a drive I don't need - thanks all!
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #7607
bakem84

Manufacture date of 12 Jan, 2011 on mine that needed the idle update.
bakem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #7608
Alvysyngr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakem84 View Post
Manufacture date of 12 Jan, 2011 on mine that needed the idle update.
How did you know you needed the idle update? Would the drive not boot up?
Alvysyngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #7609
bakem84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvysyngr View Post
How did you know you needed the idle update? Would the drive not boot up?
Yeah, I couldn't get past the Welcome Powering Up screen on 4 reboots. Doing the idle update got it to start right away.

This was actually an update to an earlier post of mine. I used a WD10EURS drive, not an EARS drive.
bakem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #7610
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Yeah, you're probably right about re-selling the Expander. Maybe I should just do that and then put the money towards a WD10EVDS instead.
I decided to go ahead with the internal 1TB upgrade.

The WD10EARS I got from Amazon today had a 25-SEP-2010 manufacture date, but I still had to use wdidle3 on it because it got stuck at "Powering Up" after I put it into my S3. I also used HDDScan to set the acoustic management to 128.

Now, however, I'm looking at the Green Screen of Death. It's been running for just about an hour, so I'm going to leave it and see what happens.

|
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #7611
mgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgar View Post
I just ordered a WD10EARS from Tiger Direct and it should be here next week. It will be installed in my Tivo HD. I don't plant to mess with any drive settings. I am just going to run winMFS. I assume this should work since the soft boot/ Intellipark problems have been resolved.

If I run into any problems with the install I will report them.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
The drive arrived earlier this afternoon. I upgraded using winMFS with no problems. The Tivo now reports 142 hours of HD capacity.
mgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #7612
leiff

My 1.5 TB WD EARS arrived from Amazon with a Nov 2010 date. It wouldn't get past welcome screen so I did "wdidle3" and now it boots fine and reports 213 HD hours of storage. Nice!
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #7613
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
The drive arrived earlier this afternoon. I upgraded using winMFS with no problems. The Tivo now reports 142 hours of HD capacity.
What version software is your THD on now? When its updated to 11.0+, it should report about 157 hrs.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #7614
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
My 1.5 TB WD EARS arrived from Amazon with a Nov 2010 date. It wouldn't get past welcome screen so I did "wdidle3" and now it boots fine and reports 213 HD hours of storage. Nice!
Congrats, and another datapoint!
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #7615
mgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
What version software is your THD on now? When its updated to 11.0+, it should report about 157 hrs.
My software version is 11.0k[plus a bunch of numbers]

By the way, I didn't do anything special to the drive. I just unpackaged it, ran winMFS, and installed it. I didn't write down the manufacture date but the sku is TSD-1000EARS SY. It came in OEM packaging.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #7616
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Now, however, I'm looking at the Green Screen of Death. It's been running for just about an hour, so I'm going to leave it and see what happens.
Whew. After almost exactly 3 hours the S3 rebooted from the GSOD and this time booted normally. 157HD hours and no more Expander.

|
Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #7617
leiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Congrats, and another datapoint!
eh? Datapoint??
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #7618
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I think 142 hrs means it wan't "supersized" during the WinMFS restore. IIRC, you can run WinMFS on it again and perform the supersize alone. (But check out the TiVo software version factor first in case that does it.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #7619
mgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I think 142 hrs means it wan't "supersized" during the WinMFS restore. IIRC, you can run WinMFS on it again and perform the supersize alone. (But check out the TiVo software version factor first in case that does it.)
That makes sense. I did not use the "supersize" option. 142 hours is already more TV that I can watch. I went with 1 TB because the price was only $54 + $2.99 shipping.

I upgraded my Series 3 a couple of years ago and it shows 143 HD hours. I did not use the "supersize" option on that drive either.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #7620
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
eh? Datapoint??
EARS mfg date vs. intellipark issues
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote