TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #901
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu2005 View Post
My TiVo Premiere is stuck in reboot loop, after plug in, it shows "welcome, starting up" screen, then all lights blink once, the screen goes blank, and returns to "welcome, starting up" screen. It does this continuously.

I have upgraded to 2TB WD20EVDS based on instructions in this thread (thanks to Comer for his excellent work). It has been working flawlessly for months until recently. The first sign of trouble is, suddenly, all front panel lights started to blink, so I power cycled the TiVo. After that TiVo boots up ok, but then some time later the menu froze while it is recording. so I power cycled again. This is when the endless reboot loop occurred.

I plan to hook up the drive to PC and run WD tool to check for drive errors. If there's no bad sectors, it is probably data corruption, I'll use jmfs to copy from stock drive again (I have the stock drive as backup). Otherwise I'll get a replacement drive and also copy from stock drive.

Either way, my recordings will be gone. My question is, if WD diagnostics tool report no bad sector (so it is just data corruption due to software bugs), is it possible to restore my recordings? TiVo support has no better suggestion other than replace the unit. I also saw the kickstart 54 option, but my TiVo Premiere won't start, so I cannot reboot from menu and use kickstart.

I am thinking if the OS is corrupted, maybe I can restore the OS only, and leave the recordings intact? is there a way to achieve this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As for what you propose in your final paragraph, I hope someone who knows more than do I responds, but if I were going to roll the dice on this I'd restore to a different drive, and after making sure that the non-MFS partitions were the same size as the ones on the 2TB drive, I'd use dd or dd_rescue to copy the good new ones on top of the suspect ones, leaving the partition map and the MFS partitions on the 2TB drive untouched.

But I haven't tried that particular experiment yet, so no guarantees whatsoever.

As far as kickstart is concerned I think you need to read up on it a lot more. You don't access it from the TiVo menu, you get into it by interrupting the boot process at just the right moment.

You could also ask someone more knowledgeable than am I whether trying the bootpage fix options in WinMFS is a viable idea in your case. I have no idea if WinMFS works with comer'ed drives or not, or even if it works with S4s or not.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #902
richsadams

Quote:
My TiVo Premiere is stuck in reboot loop, after plug in, it shows "welcome, starting up" screen, then all lights blink once, the screen goes blank, and returns to "welcome, starting up" screen. It does this continuously.

I have upgraded to 2TB WD20EVDS based on instructions in this thread (thanks to Comer for his excellent work). It has been working flawlessly for months until recently. The first sign of trouble is, suddenly, all front panel lights started to blink, so I power cycled the TiVo. After that TiVo boots up ok, but then some time later the menu froze while it is recording. so I power cycled again. This is when the endless reboot loop occurred.

I plan to hook up the drive to PC and run WD tool to check for drive errors. If there's no bad sectors, it is probably data corruption, I'll use jmfs to copy from stock drive again (I have the stock drive as backup). Otherwise I'll get a replacement drive and also copy from stock drive.

Either way, my recordings will be gone. My question is, if WD diagnostics tool report no bad sector (so it is just data corruption due to software bugs), is it possible to restore my recordings? TiVo support has no better suggestion other than replace the unit. I also saw the kickstart 54 option, but my TiVo Premiere won't start, so I cannot reboot from menu and use kickstart.

I am thinking if the OS is corrupted, maybe I can restore the OS only, and leave the recordings intact? is there a way to achieve this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum...sorry to hear its under such frustrating circumstances. It's possible that it's data corruption, although very unlikely anything to do with "software bugs". Corruption generally occurs either when the hard drive is unable to correct I/O errors or when there are physical problems such as power outages, spikes, brown outs, etc. Be sure your TiVo is always connected to a UPS and that you have a clean coax connection (never run it through a surge protector, etc.). As you mention, it's also quite possible that the unit has run into bad sectors on the hard drive, it happens.

You should try running some of the Kickstarts before doing anything else. Your TiVo doesn't need to boot up fully to run them...in fact they won't run if it does. Have a look here, follow each one in the recommended order and see if things get better. (Note that the procedure for Premiere's is different than with other models...Premiere details are near the bottom of the post.)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If there are still issues try reinstalling the original drive and see if it runs normally. If so, a replacement hard drive is probably in order.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #903
Wislander

Using a spare old computer motherboard (which only has 2 SATA connections) and case, 1 Gig of Ram, an old 2.7 Ghz AMD single core proc, an old 16x IDE CD drive, an old spare power supply, a PS/2 keyboard, and a CRT monitor no less, I was able to use this CD to upgrade/up-size my TiVo Premiere in about 2 hours.

Even with the outdated scrap pile hardware listed above the CD worked perfectly without a hitch. Seriously, most of the hardware above is 4 - 10 years old and it still works just fine for this process. I am thinking of leaving the system configured and label it as TiVo Workstation.

Last edited by Wislander : 05-17-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Wislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #904
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wislander View Post
Using a spare old computer motherboard (which only has 2 SATA connections) and case, 1 Gig of Ram, an old 2.7 Ghz AMD single core proc, an old 16x IDE CD drive, an old spare power supply, a PS/2 keyboard, and a CRT monitor no less, I was able to use this CD to upgrade/up-size my TiVo Premiere in about 2 hours.

Even with the outdated scrap pile hardware listed above the CD worked perfectly without a hitch. Seriously, most of the hardware above is 4 - 10 years old and it still works just fine for this process. I am thinking of leaving the system configured and label it as TiVo Workstation.
Sounds great as long as that isn't a GigaByte motherboard.

Although for a moment I was wondering how you used an IDE cd drive on a board with only 2 SATA ports, until I realised you meant a board whose number of SATA ports was limited to 2, not a board whose number of drive ports was limited to 2, both of which were SATA.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #905
ftballpack

How to fix an accidental GSOD boot cycle on a good hard drive.

Hey guys,

So, I upgraded my Tivo Primere a few months back and installed a WD20EURs in the Tivo and everything had been working great.

I had to run kickstart 57 a few months back on the original drive literally the day before I did the hard drive swap, just to fix a strange booting issue.

Well, since I thought kickstart 57 was closesly related to checkdisk in Windows, I had been doing it somewhat frequently as a way to keep the new drive working at top performace.

Last night I decided to put the drive (the WD20EURS) into kickstart 57 manually and after going to the (GSOD) green screen of death for about 15 seconds it kept rebooting. Little did I know that kickstart 57 could actually corrupt a good drive with a limited drive swap

I still have my original drive and understand that all the files on my expanded WD20EURS are lost. My question is how to properly go about reformatting my WD20EURS using Comer's bootdisk? Do I have to use GParted Live to remove the current partitions on the WD20EURS and then use Comer's boot disk? Can I just use Comer's boot disk to reimage the original drive over the WD20EURS that I corrupted?

Your help on this one is greatly appreciate guys.

Thanks,

ftballpack (Scott)
ftballpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #906
Wislander

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Sounds great as long as that isn't a GigaByte motherboard.
Actually, it is an ECE Power Motherboard so not too much different than a GigaByte brand. Have people had issues with GigaByte boards and this CD?

Quote:
Although for a moment I was wondering how you used an IDE cd drive on a board with only 2 SATA ports, until I realised you meant a board whose number of SATA ports was limited to 2, not a board whose number of drive ports was limited to 2, both of which were SATA.
Yeah, I guess I could have explained that better. It has two IDE channels and only two SATA connectors or I could have used a SATA CD/DVD drive. It's more of a comment of a "barebones" system can do this operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo HD - upgraded to 1TB
TiVo Premiere - upgraded to 1TB
TiVo HD (girlfriend's) - upgraded to 720GB
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #907
unitron

Quote:
Actually, it is an ECE Power Motherboard so not too much different than a GigaByte brand. Have people had issues with GigaByte boards and this CD? ...
GigaByte boards with Express Recovery or Express Recovery II grab what they think is going to be your OS hard drive (and the OS they expect is Windows) and put a Host Protected Area (which is a sort of partition not recognized as a partition) on the end of it to make room for some sort of system backup file. This happens before they load any actual operating software from any boot source.

Since they don't recognize the Apple Partition Map used on TiVo drives they think a TiVo drive is an empty drive and fair game for the HPA.

It's also a really great way to hose a RAID array.

The problem has nothing to do with what kind of cd you boot with, but with how they (GigaByte boards) screw up hard drives.

If you boot with the MFS Live cd v1.4, you can run

hdparm -N /dev/hd"x"

where "x" is the IDE drive (or SATA drive connnected to an IDE port via an adapter) you want to know about,

(and probably hdparm -N /dev/sd"x" for SATA drives on SATA ports )

and it'll show you if all of your LBA blocks are accessible or not.

If you're on a non-GigaByte board there's a way to undo the HPA (but not the damage it's done to your Tivo partitions) with hdparm (a very dangerous program if you don't know what options and switches to use and which to avoid like the plague), but on a GigaByte board the operation fails because the board blocks it.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #908
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballpack View Post
Can I just use Comer's boot disk to reimage the original drive over the WD20EURS that I corrupted?
Yes you can, but I'd suggest you download WD's diagnostic tool and fully test your drive before using Comer's jmfs program.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #909
richsadams

Quote:
I am thinking of leaving the system configured and label it as TiVo Workstation.
I have one of those! Wife thinks it should go in the trash heap but every time I think about it...I decide to do another upgrade!

Congrats on your "new" TiVo BTW.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #910
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftballpack View Post
Well, since I thought kickstart 57 was closesly related to checkdisk in Windows, I had been doing it somewhat frequently as a way to keep the new drive working at top performance.
Hi Scott. Sorry to hear about your issues with TiVo. Windows' checkdisk and KS57 are two different worlds. In fact Windows and the Linux/Apple OS (the basis of TiVo's architecture) are two different worlds. That's why there's no need to "defrag" or do any of the housekeeping that helps Windows run better. I know I made mention of Windows' checkdisk in my KS post so to avoid any confusion like this I removed the reference.

It's difficult to say if KS57 corrupted your drive...odds are that's probably not the case but anything is possible. Running KS57 or KS58 should only be done when something is wrong. It won't make anything "better" otherwise.

That said, did you try running KS58? That may be able to repair the problem as it does a bit more work. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

If that doesn't fix things it's possible that it's a data problem or it could be a drive problem. So as Stuxnet suggests, before re-imaging your drive running WD Lifeguard diagnostics (extended read/write/read) would be a good idea.

Also as mentioned, you won't need to reformat anything...jmfs will take care of that.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Last edited by richsadams : 05-18-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Add link for new member
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #911
sliu2005

TiVo Premiere stuck in reboot loop

Quote:
As for what you propose in your final paragraph, I hope someone who knows more than do I responds, but if I were going to roll the dice on this I'd restore to a different drive, and after making sure that the non-MFS partitions were the same size as the ones on the 2TB drive, I'd use dd or dd_rescue to copy the good new ones on top of the suspect ones, leaving the partition map and the MFS partitions on the 2TB drive untouched.

But I haven't tried that particular experiment yet, so no guarantees whatsoever.

As far as kickstart is concerned I think you need to read up on it a lot more. You don't access it from the TiVo menu, you get into it by interrupting the boot process at just the right moment.

You could also ask someone more knowledgeable than am I whether trying the bootpage fix options in WinMFS is a viable idea in your case. I have no idea if WinMFS works with comer'ed drives or not, or even if it works with S4s or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum...sorry to hear its under such frustrating circumstances. It's possible that it's data corruption, although very unlikely anything to do with "software bugs". Corruption generally occurs either when the hard drive is unable to correct I/O errors or when there are physical problems such as power outages, spikes, brown outs, etc. Be sure your TiVo is always connected to a UPS and that you have a clean coax connection (never run it through a surge protector, etc.). As you mention, it's also quite possible that the unit has run into bad sectors on the hard drive, it happens.

You should try running some of the Kickstarts before doing anything else. Your TiVo doesn't need to boot up fully to run them...in fact they won't run if it does. Have a look here, follow each one in the recommended order and see if things get better. (Note that the procedure for Premiere's is different than with other models...Premiere details are near the bottom of the post.)

If there are still issues try reinstalling the original drive and see if it runs normally. If so, a replacement hard drive is probably in order.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Thanks unitron and richsadams for your suggestion. I am very sorry for my tardiness in replying since I am sick.

I have re-read the kickstart post from richsadams (I have to delete the link in the quote since I have less 5 posts), so it looks like power cycle have the same effect as select "restart" from TiVo menu. I followed Premiere specific instruction at the bottom of the that post, however, TiVo does not seem to respond to PAUSE button. It just reboots too fast for me to enter the code.

WD diagnostics tool reported S.M.A.R.T. failure, so it looks like bad sectors exists and the drive is about to fail. Called WD support for an advance replacement, when it arrives I will roll the dice and use jmfs to copy from old 2TB to new 2TB (probably takes forever), see if that works. If not, I'll research on dd_rescue and WinMFS. I was under the false impression that these tools do not apply to Premiere, hence comer's jmfs.

Will report back how it goes. thanks again for your help.
sliu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #912
Wislander

Quote:
GigaByte boards with Express Recovery or Express Recovery II grab what they think is going to be your OS hard drive (and the OS they expect is Windows) and put a Host Protected Area (which is a sort of partition not recognized as a partition) on the end of it to make room for some sort of system backup file. This happens before they load any actual operating software from any boot source.
Ah.. yeah I turn all of the Express Recovery, BOIS Image, and Express Back-up tools that motherboard companies add to to their BIOS before I actually do anything with the system. Like you noted they always seem to cause more damage than they prevent in the long run. I actually worked on a Dell Dimension system once that placed a boot loader, in front of the Windows Boot loader and would not allow certain hardware upgrades to ever work. In this case it was a third party eSATA card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo HD - upgraded to 1TB
TiVo Premiere - upgraded to 1TB
TiVo HD (girlfriend's) - upgraded to 720GB
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #913
unitron

Quote:
Ah.. yeah I turn all of the Express Recovery, BOIS Image, and Express Back-up tools that motherboard companies add to to their BIOS before I actually do anything with the system. Like you noted they always seem to cause more damage than they prevent in the long run. I actually worked on a Dell Dimension system once that placed a boot loader, in front of the Windows Boot loader and would not allow certain hardware upgrades to ever work. In this case it was a third party eSATA card.
On the 2 GigaByte boards I acquired before I knew about this nasty tendency of theirs, there is no way to turn it off, and apparently they never released a bios update with the ability to do so enabled.

Also, there's no warning about it except in the fine print of the owner's manual.

Proprietary is one of the dirtiest words in the English language.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #914
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
It just reboots too fast for me to enter the code.
Well, that's what I thought when I initially tried the kickstart, but it turns out that the flash that occurs immediately upon start-up, is not the one you gotta catch. It's the next one several seconds later... at least on my premiere it worked that way. I must have tried to hit the first yellow flash a dozen times, before I stumbled into to the next one.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #915
wluk

I am trying to upgrade my 1.5tb to 2tb WD EARS drive since last night. It took about 9 hours to copy the data over to the new (used) drive. However, when I tried to expand it, I got the unsuccessful message. So I ran the mfsadd.sh from command line and I got the following error.

MfsAdd exception: Negative seek offset

not sure what I should try next. I ran mfslayout on the new drive it shows the 215 HD hours (from my 1.5TB drive).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
wluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #916
wluk

I ran it with rev68 this time and I got more information on this screen.

MfsAdd exception
java.io.IOException: Negative seek offset
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.seek(Native Method)
at tivo.io.Utils.seekBlock(Utils.java:418)
at tivo.io.Utils.seekBlock(Utils.java:410)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.writeZones(MfsAd.java:221)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.writeChanges(MfsAd.java:246)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.add(MfsAdd.java:41)
at jmfs:MfsAdd.add(MfsAdd.java:279)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.main(MfsAdd.java:45)
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #917
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was under the impression you couldn't upgrade an "already upgraded" drive like that. I thought you'd have to use the original drive and upgrade it directly to a 2 TB one.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #918
wluk

for real? that's not good.

I do have the original 320g image file. maybe I could restore the 320g image to the 2TB drive then run the expand that way. However, I will lose all my recording from my 1.5TB drive.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #919
wluk

When I did the fdisk -l command. I got the following warning message. I don't know if it has any thing to do with my error.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #920
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wluk View Post
I ran it with rev68 this time and I got more information on this screen.

MfsAdd exception
java.io.IOException: Negative seek offset
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.seek(Native Method)
at tivo.io.Utils.seekBlock(Utils.java:418)
at tivo.io.Utils.seekBlock(Utils.java:410)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.writeZones(MfsAd.java:221)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.writeChanges(MfsAd.java:246)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.add(MfsAdd.java:41)
at jmfs:MfsAdd.add(MfsAdd.java:279)
at jmfs.MfsAdd.main(MfsAdd.java:45)
mfslayout.sh should tell you how many partitions are on the 1.5TB drive. If it is 16 then you can not copy and expand that drive as Tivo does not utilize more than 16. Don't know if that is causing the error.

Googling that error message talks about maxing out a history file..... way over my head.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #921
retiredqwest

Quote:
When I did the fdisk -l command. I got the following warning message. I don't know if it has any thing to do with my error.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

I tested using JMFS on the TP and doing a C&E more than once.

The stock TP has 14 partitions.

1 : start= 1, size= 63 ( 31.50K), type='Apple_partition_map', name='Apple'
13: start= 64, size= 343828320 (163.95G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region 2'
2 : start= 343828384, size= 1 (512.00b), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 1'
3 : start= 343828385, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 1'
4 : start= 343844769, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 1'
5 : start= 344369057, size= 1 (512.00b), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 2'
6 : start= 344369058, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 2'
7 : start= 344385442, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 2'
8 : start= 344909730, size= 262144 (128.00M), type='Swap' , name='Linux swap'
9 : start= 345171874, size= 1048576 (512.00M), type='Ext2' , name='/var'
14: start= 346220450, size= 6291456 ( 3.00G), type='Ext2' , name='SQLite'
10: start= 352511906, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region'
12: start= 354150306, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region 2'
11: start= 355788706, size= 269353742 (128.44G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region'

JMFS will create 1 new partition when it expands a drive. So, yes you can expand from a 320G to 1.5TB then C&E to a 2TB using JMFS.

Anything over 16 partitions are seen as an external storage and you will have to run the divorce. AND the TP will go back to whatever the source drive size was.

Wluk,

I'd drop that 2tb drive in windows and delete any existing partitons and try it again. You may even want to first run WD diags against the drive to make sure it is not the problem.

Sad to say I never encountered any errors in my testing of JMFS.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 05-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #922
wluk

there are 15 partitions on the 1.5tb drive if I read it correctly. does it mean I still have a chance to expand the 2tb drive.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #923
wluk

the 2tb WD EARS drive only had 1 partition before. But I will take your suggestion and try deleting all partitions form windows then run the wd util and try it again tonight.

Need to put the 1.5tb drive back before tonight or my family will kill me.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #924
retiredqwest

Quote:
the 2tb WD EARS drive only had 1 partition before. But I will take your suggestion and try deleting all partitions form windows then run the wd util and try it again tonight.

Need to put the 1.5tb drive back before tonight or my family will kill me.
Sounds like a plan.

When you try this again.... just do the copy only. Plug the 2TB back in the TP and make sure it boots up.

Then you do the expand and test it in the TP again.

And lastly do the supersize and see what happens then.

fdisk -l reporting the 2TB as a GPT partition is strange to say the least. I don't enough about MFS or JMFS to explain that one!

good luck

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #925
wluk

I was able to convert my drive from GPT to MBR. Now when I run fdisk -l, I don't get the GPT warning.

Will run the copy tonight and see what happen.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #926
wluk

ok..I was able to restore the original tivo image using dd for windows to the 2tb WD EARS drive.

When I tried to expand it, now I am getting

MfsAdd exception: Disk '/dev/sda' does not contain partition '/dev/sda15'

I chmod the disk but still got the same error.

Last edited by wluk : 05-19-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #927
sliu2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Well, that's what I thought when I initially tried the kickstart, but it turns out that the flash that occurs immediately upon start-up, is not the one you gotta catch. It's the next one several seconds later... at least on my premiere it worked that way. I must have tried to hit the first yellow flash a dozen times, before I stumbled into to the next one.
Thanks. I will try it again after I copied the data from corrupted drive to new drive. If I can get kickstart to work, it will have a much better chance to repair the new drive (with corrupt data from old drive).
Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #928
sliu2005

TiVo Premiere stuck in reboot loop

Before reporting status of my rescue effort, here's a summarize of my situation so far: My comer'ed 2TB TiVo Premiere is stuck in reboot loop continuously. WD diags tool reported S.M.A.R.T. failure, I got a replacement WD20EVDS today and attempt to save my recordings.

wdidle3 disabled the timer of the new drive, and now jmfs is copying from defective 2TB to the new 2TB. Based on current 1500MB/s rate, it would take more than 2 weeks to finish the copy! That is insane, not sure if can live that long before my family kills me :-)

I understand jmfs is designed to copy from stock drive to a larger drive, would copy from 2TB to 2TB work and preserve expanded/supersized partition? (I suppose I should only use Copy function, without touching expand/supersize functions since it was already done on the old drive)? If I am to wait for 2 weeks for the copy to finish, I better make sure this approach will work.

any alternative way to do this? how about dd_rescue from MFSLive? mfslive.org never mentioned TiVo Premiere, so does it even work with Premiere?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #929
unitron

Quote:

I suspect that may have been because the EARS drive is an "advanced format" one.

I don't know of anybody's version of fdisk that'll show you TiVo partitions, but it looks like your drive was set up for Windows partitioning at some time even if actual partitions weren't written to it. Maybe it comes that way from WD.

To see TiVo partitions, use pdisk.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #930
wluk

I was able to get rid of the GPT warning by converting it to MBR in windows.

Anyway, I did the copy again last night after converted to MBR but still doesn't expand.

Luckily, I still have the original 320gb image backed up with dd last year. I was able to restore it with dd for windows with multiple tries. You can't restore to any partition it has to be on the volume of the drive.

Once I got the image restored, Tivo asked me to remove the expansion partition or something like that. After that I was able to expand and supersize it.

I spent much of the time today to backup the videos from the 1.5tb and will load all the videos back to the 2tb. Even though I couldn't get all the videos backup, at least I have 317 hrs HD recording time on my tivo.

Thanks guys.