TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #7561
Kit_C

Question about Wdidle3

My OLED S3 hung at the welcome screen this week, and it turned out that my 4 year old Hitachi 1TB drive had died. Fortunately, I had the original 320GB drive, and was able to re-install this, update the software to the latest version, and get back online quickly.

After reading the FAQ, I purchased a WD15EVDS from my local Fry's ($72 for the bare drive). It has a manufacture date of Sept 27 2010, so I'm planning to turn off Intellipark using Wdidle3 prior to cloning my existing drive with WinMFS.

Here's my question: The link in the upgrade thread for Wdidle3 appears to be broken. I found Wdidle3 on a WD download page, but it has the following warning:
Quote:
This firmware modifies the behavior of the drive to wait longer before positioning the heads in their park position and turning off unnecessary electronics. This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above. Please make sure that the computer system is not turned off during the firmware upgrade. Doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost.
Am I OK using this version of Wdidle on my new EVDS, or is there something special about the version that is linked in the upgrade thread?

Thanks,

Kit
San Diego, CA

Last edited by Kit_C : 05-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #7562
leiff

Here is excerpt from FAQ:

This issue affects all recently manufactured Western Digital EADS, EARS, and EAVS drives. It also affects EVVS drives manufactured after September 18 and EVDS drives manufactured since November. Drives built prior to these dates work perfectly fine; they do not exhibit the issue. The manufacture date is printed on the top of every drive.[/b]

It says for EVDS drives only after Nov need to be adjusted so I don't think you have to do this
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #7563
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Here is excerpt from FAQ:

This issue affects all recently manufactured Western Digital EADS, EARS, and EAVS drives. It also affects EVVS drives manufactured after September 18 and EVDS drives manufactured since November. Drives built prior to these dates work perfectly fine; they do not exhibit the issue. The manufacture date is printed on the top of every drive.[/b]

It says for EVDS drives only after Nov need to be adjusted so I don't think you have to do this
The FAQ is referring to 2009 dates. All WD GP drives manufactured after September 15, 2010 no longer require the Intellipark setting to be adjusted.

I know the FAQ needs updating so misunderstanding this is understandable, but PLEASE be careful when posting information which may not be current/accurate. I will reach out to bkdtv to update the FAQ again.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #7564
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post
After reading the FAQ, I purchased a WD15EVDS from my local Fry's ($72 for the bare drive). It has a manufacture date of Sept 27 2010, so I'm planning to turn off Intellipark using Wdidle3 prior to cloning my existing drive with WinMFS.
Per the note above you should not have to adjust the Intellipark setting on your new drive.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #7565
crrazychicken

So I used a WD Green 2TB

I followed the upgrade steps using WinMFS and WD20EARS for my TivoHD and expanded to use all of the available space on the 2TB drive

The info on the TIVO now reads 318 HD hours and 2777 SD hours. From reading the threads it shouldn't work, will it just conch out once it hits the 1.2TB mark?
crrazychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #7566
Kit_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Per the note above you should not have to adjust the Intellipark setting on your new drive.

Thanks all. I'll give it a shot.
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #7567
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrazychicken View Post
I followed the upgrade steps using WinMFS and WD20EARS for my TivoHD and expanded to use all of the available space on the 2TB drive

The info on the TIVO now reads 318 HD hours and 2777 SD hours. From reading the threads it shouldn't work, will it just conch out once it hits the 1.2TB mark?
Welcome to the forum. IIRC someone else tried it and it did end up flaking out...not just hitting the recording hours limit but becoming very buggy and ultimately stopped working completely. That was when 2TB drives were first introduced though...so I've no idea what might happen with newer TiVo OS versions, and current drive firmware, etc.

It will be remarkable and welcome if things do go well however! Although you can do the same thing with jmfs that program doesn't have the ability to create a truncated backup like winMFS and that would be very valuable.

So if things do go south...as long as you have your original TiVo hard drive...you can follow the directions for upgrading your TiVo HD to 2TB with jmfs and you should be good to go:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

Please let us know how things go with this effort though!

Last edited by richsadams : 05-12-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Add link for new member
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #7568
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post
Thanks all. I'll give it a shot.
Wow, I just got my new 1.5TB WD green and was about to ask this. In car now, will check date when I get back. This is good news.
Ordered the drive from NewEgg, $65 free shipping. Ordered late wed nite, got it today.

Edit - 25 Jan 2011 - nice!

Done - 5 minutes from upwrapping drive to unplugging from the PC. It was, well, a piece of cake. I respect others' opinions and feelings. Find it strange that an electrician can charge what they will, but someone selling useful software for a price will get criticized. I paid $20 for my first two ICs, and when the price went up, I didn't blink. Because for me the software has value. Just saying.

Last edited by JoeTaxpayer : 05-13-2011 at 06:48 PM.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #7569
bgc

Linux swap size?

On an S2DT with a 1TB WD drive, is there any reason to make the swap space larger than the default of 128MB?

Thanks,
BGC
bgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #7570
mgar

Quote:
The FAQ is referring to 2009 dates. All WD GP drives manufactured after September 15, 2010 no longer require the Intellipark setting to be adjusted.

I know the FAQ needs updating so misunderstanding this is understandable, but PLEASE be careful when posting information which may not be current/accurate. I will reach out to bkdtv to update the FAQ again.
I just ordered a WD10EARS from Tiger Direct and it should be here next week. It will be installed in my Tivo HD. I don't plant to mess with any drive settings. I am just going to run winMFS. I assume this should work since the soft boot/ Intellipark problems have been resolved.

If I run into any problems with the install I will report them.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
mgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #7571
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgar

I just ordered a WD10EARS from Tiger Direct and it should be here next week. It will be installed in my Tivo HD. I don't plant to mess with any drive settings. I am just going to run winMFS. I assume this should work since the soft boot/ Intellipark problems have been resolved.

If I run into any problems with the install I will report them.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
TIA for the feedback and happy upgrading!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #7572
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc View Post
On an S2DT with a 1TB WD drive, is there any reason to make the swap space larger than the default of 128MB?

Thanks,
BGC
If there is and you don't, you'll probably find out the hard way, so go ahead and splurge and make it 500MB.

Look at it this way, the rule of thumb of 1MB for every 2GB means restore -s 500 will only use up 0.05% of the drive. That's one-twentieth of one per cent.

500MB is about 15 minutes of video at Best Quality on an S2 DT. You can spare it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #7573
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Thanks for that, guys.
Just wanted to report back that I did the jmfs upgrade with a WD10EVDS Friday night and it appears to have worked flawlessly. Ahhhhh, the ability to store 288 hours of HD goodness is refreshing. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #7574
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Just wanted to report back that I did the jmfs upgrade with a WD10EVDS Friday night and it appears to have worked flawlessly. Ahhhhh, the ability to store 288 hours of HD goodness is refreshing. Thanks again for the help.
Sahweet! Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #7575
bakem84

Just wanted to share my update story.

Bought a WD10EURS from Amazon with a 2011 manufacture date (can't remember exactly which month, and I don't feel like opening the Tivo back up at the moment), and ran the setup today. Wouldn't get past the powering up screen. I tried reseating the connector with no luck, and actually reinstalled the original drive, which started up fine. Found a buddy that would let me use a SATA port on his computer, and ran the idle update. Everything boots up fine now with the new drive.

Not sure if they're back to the old setting or not, but mine definitely needed the update.
bakem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #7576
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakem84
Just wanted to share my update story.

Bought a WD10EURS from Amazon with a 2011 manufacture date (can't remember exactly which month, and I don't feel like opening the Tivo back up at the moment), and ran the setup today. Wouldn't get past the powering up screen. I tried reseating the connector with no luck, and actually reinstalled the original drive, which started up fine. Found a buddy that would let me use a SATA port on his computer, and ran the idle update. Everything boots up fine now with the new drive.

Not sure if they're back to the old setting or not, but mine definitely needed the update.
Thanks for that. Did you try booting up more than twice? There have been numerous reports over the years about having to initially boot several times before TiVo would start.

If you can provide the manufacture date at some point it would be appreciated. AFAIK yours would be the first drive with a 2011 date that needed adjusting.

Glad things are working though and TIA.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #7577
JoeTaxpayer

The 1.5TB WD15EARS failed to get past power up. 25jan2011 date code.

I had a 1TB seagate in the closet and I'm running now, but curious about the WD. It ran IC fine. Wondering if the size made a difference or if I should have still run the "don't park heads" fix.

I'm inclined to leave well enough alone. I don't 'need' more space and can use the 1.5TB drive elsewhere. A few minutes to bake, and about 5 min to swap out drives, but the initial boot/pull down channel, etc is enough to not really want to tinker further.

This was in the Series 3 OLED/THX model. FYI.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #7578
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post

I had a 1TB seagate in the closet and I'm running now, but curious about the WD. It ran IC fine. Wondering if the size made a difference or if I should have still run the "don't park heads" fix.
You can run the intellipark fix (WDIDLE3.EXE) without having to reimage the drive.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #7579
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
You can run the intellipark fix (WDIDLE3.EXE) without having to reimage the drive.
The drive was brand new. I had to image it with IC. New date code so I shouldn't need the intellipark fix at all.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #7580
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
New date code so I shouldn't need the intellipark fix at all.
Well... you would hope so... but if you page up to post #7575, there's some uncertainity blowing in the wind... and it's a low risk adjustment... could be something else... bad drive, defective image... just FYI.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #7581
richsadams

Quote:
The drive was brand new. I had to image it with IC. New date code so I shouldn't need the intellipark fix at all.
Agree with Stuxnet. I'd try reinstalling it and giving it a few tries at booting. If it doesn't cooperate go ahead and run wdidle3.exe and either set the timeout to 300 seconds (5 minutes) or disable it and see if that doesn't do it.

FWIW the Intellipark setting wouldn't be affected one way or the other by the IC (or any) image or vice versa. However there still may be an issue with some of these drives.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #7582
bakem84

Yeah, I had restarted it about 4 times. I wised up pretty quickly and left the cover off after the first couple adjustments.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and get a manufacture date.
bakem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #7583
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakem84 View Post
Yeah, I had restarted it about 4 times. I wised up pretty quickly and left the cover off after the first couple adjustments.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and get a manufacture date.
TIA. I can't recall anyone using the EURS line recently, so it may be that the Intellipark caveat may still apply. Ugh.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7584
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow Instant Cake - Buyer Beware

Quote:

IC doesn't support drives larger than 1TB. It's in the IC FAQ section fine print (of the sellers' website). Or, it *should* be there, since it is a limitation with IC.

That is... as of the last time I checked. Nobody has been updating/improving the product... as of last time I checked.

I purchased a copy a while back, and found that it has a LOT of limitations. It's also a product that uses FREE publicly available tools (mfstools) as the engine to install the drive image (the part not so easy to get a hold of).

One of my "favorite" limitations, is that it won't allow you to use it to restore an original TiVo drive. The FAQ states it isn't possible. Yet, if you use it on a larger drive, you can use WinMFS to copy the larger drive to the original drive, and WinMFS re-sizes everything appropriately!

ANYBODY CONSIDERING PURCHASING INSTANT CAKE SOFTWARE SHOULD READ THE **ENTIRE** IC FAQ & SUPPORT SECTION ***BEFORE*** PURCHASING THIS NON-REFUNDABLE PRODUCT.

I wouldn't be so harsh about IC if they hadn't doubled the price, without even updating it, or adding any sort of support (other than the FAQ). I feel the hardware requirements, as well as ALL the limitations, should be presented to the buyer pre-purchase, as opposed to hiding them away in the post-purchase FAQ.

If you do your "due-diligence", by digging around here at the TCF, you'll find that TiVo images ARE out there, and there is an image begging thread for requesting links to images (with a humorous thread name). Then it's only a matter of using WinMFS or MFSTools to install the image. WinMFS couldn't be any easier to use.

In the case of drives larger than 1TB, even WinMFS/MFSTools aren't able to use the whole drive (Original Drive Capacity + 1TB = The Limit).

So, sometimes you wind up using an intermediate drive that isn't too large for IC/WinMFS/MFSTools, just to build a TiVo imaged drive, and then use Comer's jmfs tools to copy/expand it to the larger drive.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #7585
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
IC doesn't support drives larger than 1TB.
D'oh! I completely forgot about that. I still have conversations with the original owner of DVRUpgrade and he confirmed that the new owner (Weaknees) has not worked on any upgrades for IC, at least as of a couple of months ago. That would explain this issue anyway.

Adjusting the Intellipark setting probably won't make any difference in this case.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #7586
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow Tip: Do a KickStart 57 on first boot, after imaging/copying/expanding a TiVo drive

Quote:
Did you try booting up more than twice? There have been numerous reports over the years about having to initially boot several times before TiVo would start.
I find it is best to just initiate a KickStart57 on the first boot after using ANY/ALL the TiVo drive imaging/copying/expanding utilities.

This is even true with jmfs. I've used it many times, on both Premieres and HDs. Weird things happened when I didn't make sure and do a KS57 at first boot.

For those who insist on instant-gratification, it won't provide that, since it will take "up to three hours" (more like one hour or less, with a new drive), to complete and then start the 10-15 minute boot process.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #7587
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
IC doesn't support drives larger than 1TB. It's in the IC FAQ section fine print (of the sellers' website). Or, it *should* be there, since it is a limitation with IC.
? Well, I asked here before hitting "buy".
But for me, it's more about solving the mystery. And I'm happier to know the answer now. I have space in my old Macs to load the 1.5TB, so it won't go unused.
So thanks for saving me another hour of experiments, and I'll keep an eye out for more 1TB drive sales. Other drives are bound to go soon.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #7588
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Arrow

Quote:
? Well, I asked here before hitting "buy".
<snip>
So thanks for saving me another hour of experiments, and I'll keep an eye out for more 1TB drive sales. Other drives are bound to go soon.
Honestly, it didn't hit me until you asked if your mixed results could have anything to do with the different drive sizes you were working with (1.5TB / 1TB). Your original inquiry slipped by me (I must have been busy watching TiVo).

Most of us here (that have been upgrading for a while), have graduated to keeping our original TiVo drives on a shelf, or performing some other form of backup, eliminating the need for IC (as well as remembering all of its requirements & limitations).
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #7589
JoeTaxpayer

@nooneuknow - When I first wanted to swap out drives I went the IC route. I understand there was another method of copying off original. Never did that. Not even sure if I kept the older drives. As I have three different models, I've picked up three IC images over the years.
Thanks again, I've learned a lot from these threads over the years.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #7590
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm pretty sure this will work but wanted to run it by the experts just in case there's something wrong with my logic ...

I'm tired of having the 1TB WD Expander hanging off of my OLED S3 (original internal drive). Rather than having to deal with finding one of the specific models of drives that will work (as listed in this thread), I figure I could just divorce the Expander, make a truncated backup of the internal drive with WinMFS, crack open the Expander and take out the 1TB drive, restore the image to it and use it as the single internal drive. I'm willing to lose the extra 320gb of recording capacity by just keeping that stock drive around in case of emergency.

Any flaws in my logic here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote