TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #151
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

channels all screwed up with M-card.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=463092

Hey, my channels are all messed up. For instance, 41 is on 29 (MSNBC is on CNN) and others are on equally weird channels. Of course, this EFFs up my SPs. I haven't been able to fix it permanently.

Do I need to call BH or can I fix it myself? I do NOT have a TA because I use MRV

I again removed M-Card, rebooted--and now it's coming up with "No signal"

Last edited by megory : 01-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.
megory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #152
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I guess I might have to break down and finally get some TAs in here.
I posted that back in April last year and finally bit the bullet. I called BHN tonight and scheduled a TA installation for Saturday.

At first the rep tried to tell me it would be $3.80/month. I said I thought there was a "first 12 months" free offer and she put me on hold and finally came back and said yeah, there is. She also said there's no charge for the truck-roll, so we'll have to see if that's true (I'm going to hold them to it!)

I'm only getting one, even though I have three different HD TiVos with CableCARDs in the house. Can you move the TA around without needing to call BHN? They're not paired to the box like the cards are, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #153
EpcotEric

I don't have more than 1 TiVo, however during installation, BHN doesn't need any info (host ID, etc.) from the TiVo to activate the TA, so I assume you can move it around. It is a bit of a pain to setup and sometimes takes about 10-15 minutes to boot and successfully pull channels.

I asked about the 12 months free and they said no to me about 6 months ago. Oh well. They also didn't charge for the truck roll.

Knight will probably do the install, not a BHN tech. When mine was installed in Largo, it didn't work initially (flashing LED). He was about to rip it out and schedule another visit (he had no idea what it even was). I told him to leave it and I'll call customer service and troubleshoot. The TA screen kept saying Initializing, so I assumed it was a good box.

About 30 minutes after he left, just before I picked up the phone, the box synced up, authorized and started working.

The only drawback to the TA is that you now get all the Digital Simulcast lower-end channels. Meaning that unless it's on a broadcast network, BHN blocks transfers.

Good luck and enjoy the new channels!

EPCOTEric, aka simba1994
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #154
windracer
joined the 10k club

Cool, thanks for the feedback!

|
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #155
windracer
joined the 10k club

Wow. That was an "interesting" install.

First off, the contractor was 90 minutes late. I had a 12-2 window. BHN called at 1:30 and said he'd arrive at 3. At 3:30 I was just about call when he showed up.

He was a nice guy, but had never done a CableCARD or TA install before. He let me do most of the driving and setup. First he gave me an S-Card so I asked if he had any M-Cards. After he found one I showed him the CC and Host IDs and he called them in. After 10 minutes the card still hadn't authorized so I had him call again. This time the card authorized right away.

So far, so good.

Then he gives me the tuning adapter. The Cisco STA1520 is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. First, no power adapter. He says they didn't give him one. He radios one of his buddies and they tell him just to grab any modem power supply. So he gets one from the truck, I check it to make sure it's 12V, and plug in the TA.

He's still letting me drive (he has no idea how to set this up) so I remove the coax from the back of the TiVo, connect it to the TA, then use another short coax to connect the TA back to the TiVo. I ask him for the USB cable. He says you don't need it, you use either coax or USB. I'm skeptical, but have never used one of these before, so fine. I go into the TA menu on the TiVo, no TA detected. I tell him I'm pretty sure you need to use USB. I grab my box of cables and find a compatible one. Connect it to the TA and the TiVo and then I can get into the diagnostic menus. At this point I let the installer go because the TA was detected so I was pretty sure the rest would fall into place. Total install time was 30 minutes.

Like EpcotEric, it took a while for the LED to stop flashing and the TA to initialize. But it seems to be working now, I can get the SDV channels I was missing before. Neat.

|
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #156
Lampei

@windracer,
Yup, that's what happened when I first got my TA "installed". They force a truck roll on you, and then you have to do everything...they might as well just give let the TiVo people pick it up from an office
Lampei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #157
windracer
joined the 10k club

Well, at least they didn't charge me for the truckroll. Otherwise I would have complained.

|
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #158
Chris Berry

Important Information about your Bright House Networks Service

During the week of February 21st, a software upgrade will be applied to your Tuning Adapter to improve your viewing experience. This upgrade may result in a message on your TiVo box that says: "Tuning Adapter Connected” after the software upgrade. If you see this message, please follow the onscreen instruction to press “Continue” to resume viewing TV on your TIVO DVR and Tuning Adapter.

In rare cases you may be required to reboot your TIVO DVR. Simply unplug your TIVO DVR from power followed by plugging it back in to reboot. Alternatively from the TIVO menu go to “Messages and Settings” and select “Restart or Reset System” choosing the “Restart the TiVo HD DVR” option.

Thank you for being Bright House Networks customer!
Chris Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #159
windracer
joined the 10k club

Interesting ... did you receive that via e-mail? I didn't get a notice like that (yet).

My current versions on the TA are:

- FLASH: STA 1.0.0_1520_LR_F.0801
- App(s): SARA v1.61.36.1

Guess I'll see if any of that changes this week.

|
Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #160
windracer
joined the 10k club

Got a letter in the mail today from Brighthouse, more channels moving to SDV next month.

Quote:
May 11, 2011

Dear windracer,

Bright House Networks would like to thank you for choosing us as your video service provider. We are writing to you as a valued customer in order to provide advance notice of important upcoming changes that affect your ability to access certain programming on unidirectional retail devices. Bright House Networks is rolling out a new digital video delivery technology in your area known as Switched Digital Video ("SDV"). SDV is a robust bandwidth-management system that makes it possible for us to offer more digital video programming services than ever before, including new HD channels. In order to launch even more new video services, we are migrating some existing services to the SDV system which is a bi-directional platform. Unfortunately, your unidirectional retail device does not support bi-directional programming delivered over the SDV system. Please be advised, therefore, beginning on or after June 14, 2011, Bright House Networks will deliver the following packages on the SDV system and this programming will not be available on unidirectional retail devices until further notice:

AmericanLife TV 134
Great American Country 133
BBC America 123
HBO Latino 207
Bloomberg TV 127
HBO Latino West 214
Bay News 9 en Espanol 154 and 900
IFC 113 and 384
ESPN Deportes 153 and 914
Logo 147
ESPNews 150
MLB Network 159
ESPNU 151
Nat Geo Wild 148
FLIX West 115 and 372
Planet Green 108
Fox Soccer Channel 120
Sundance 117 and 374
Fuse 132
The Hub 102
G4 124
Tr3s 157 and 930
Gospel Music Channel 145
VH1 Classic 138

If you wish to receive the above services, you may contact Bright House Networks to obtain a digital set-top box or similar bi-directional device that is capable of supporting two-way communications with the SDV system. You may continue to use your unidirectional retail device with your Bright House Networks provided CableCARD to receive video programming other than the programming delivered on the SDV system. Bright House Networks will notify you in advance of any other programming changes. Please contact us at 1-866-976-EASY if you have any questions. We thank you again for choosing Bright House Networks.

Sincerely,
Bright House Networks
Nothing I really care about except BBCA and maybe IFC. I have the one TA so no big deal still.

|
Old 05-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #161
sbiller

New FCC rules requiring self install's of CC's and TA's

I believe that that BHN will be required to support self installs starting next month (June). I'm debating about possibly upgrading one of my TiVo HD's to a Premiere but wanted to wait for the self-install before even thinking about it.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #162
windracer
joined the 10k club

Self-installs for CableCARDs and TAs? That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

|
Old 05-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #163
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Glad you posted that, WR! I just got that notice myself, and I don't understand it. What is my unidirectional device? Is that my TiVo, or is it my non-cable-card TiVo? Will my HD Tivo be okay? Will I have to get a TA?

I use MRV, so I record everything in Analog.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #164
windracer
joined the 10k club

The "unidirectional" device is the TiVo, really. Without a tuning adapter, the TiVo won't be able to tune into those channels that are switching to switched digital video. You only need a TA if you want to be able to watch/record those channels.

|
Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #165
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Okay, what makes TiVo unidirectional? In my brain, I see my TiVo receiving and sending, but apparently that's wrong. Why? And how is the BH DVR bidrectional as opposed to TiVo.

BBC IFC, FLIX and Sundance are the only HD stations I like, so I'm POd. I don't want to give up MRV to get them, even though I just SPd Law and Order UK.

I don't understand why TiVo's MRV functionality is so . . . minimal and restrictive. I'm willing to accede to the restrictions of only MRVing analog channels, and I feel stuck that if I have a fully functioning TV/TiVo with a TA, that I am not permitted to MRV anything.

Have you heard if we will EVER get Verizon FIOS? Are we stuck with BH? TiVos won't work with Dish or Direct, correct?

Thanks for educating me, WR!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #166
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
Okay, what makes TiVo unidirectional? In my brain, I see my TiVo receiving and sending, but apparently that's wrong. Why? And how is the BH DVR bidrectional as opposed to TiVo.
CableCard (CC) makes the TiVo Unidirectional since CC is not able to communicate to the Cable Company head-end equipment over the cable coax. The Tuning Adapter (TA) solves this problem by providing a backchannel to the Cable Company head-end equipment effectively allowing TiVo to communicate bi-directionally.

Quote:
I don't understand why TiVo's MRV functionality is so . . . minimal and restrictive. I'm willing to accede to the restrictions of only MRVing analog channels, and I feel stuck that if I have a fully functioning TV/TiVo with a TA, that I am not permitted to MRV anything.
This is due to the Digital Rights Management restrictions associated with the way TiVo implements MRV functionality. This could be remedied in the near future by a software update to TiVo which will allow streaming of content instead of a copying of the entire program.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #167
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
CableCard (CC) makes the TiVo Unidirectional since CC is not able to communicate to the Cable Company head-end equipment over the cable coax. The Tuning Adapter (TA) solves this problem by providing a backchannel to the Cable Company head-end equipment effectively allowing TiVo to communicate bi-directionally.
True, but it was also my understanding that it's not the CableCARD itself that's unidirectional, but the way it was implemented. From wikipedia:

Quote:
The portion of the CableCARD specs that could be agreed on describe how one-way services work, and so only the portion known as UDCP (Unidirectional Digital Cable Product) was required by the FCC. As it was the only thing required, most of the early devices were only one-way capable; however all the actual CableCARDs produced were always two-way capable. Many enhancements to the CableCARD standard including the optional Multi-Stream support became known as CableCARD 2.0.
Probably more detail than we need in this thread, though.

Quote:
Have you heard if we will EVER get Verizon FIOS?
I used to check the Verizon FIOS site for availability (and signed up for notification) but have give up. I keep getting "high speed internet" offers from them in the mail but it's all DSL. No idea why they are not rolling out FIOS in Pinellas county.

|
Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #168
sbiller

Quote:
I used to check the Verizon FIOS site for availability (and signed up for notification) but have give up. I keep getting "high speed internet" offers from them in the mail but it's all DSL. No idea why they are not rolling out FIOS in Pinellas county.
I can't cite the specific news story or Verizon PR but I believe they stopped expanding FIOS a number of years back because they weren't getting the expected ROI on their current dark fiber.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #169
sbiller

Filed complaint to the FCC

Just received the same misleading letter via US mail that Windracer received. I decided to file a complaint to the FCC via their online submission form. My complaint stated,

Quote:
On 5/16/2011 I received a misleading letter from Bright House Networks (BHN) dated 5/11/2011. The letter indicated that I would no longer be able to receive certain programming on unidirectional retail devices like my TiVo. BHN has been using Switched Digital Video (SDV) in the Tampa area for quite some time. The letter did not even mention that a Tuning Adapter would allow me to continue to receive SDV programming on my retail device. The letter is pushing users back to BHN provided devices. "If you wish to receive the above services, you may contact Bright House Networks to obtain a digital set-top box or similar bi-directional device that is capable of supporting two-way communications with the SDV System." Bright House Networks should specifically have mentioned that a Tuning Adapter is a viable option for continuing to receive programming being distributed via SDV and they did not. This is clearly misleading and hurts the FCC's goal of providing retail device access to cable TV.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #170
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

But wouldn't a Tuning Adapter be a "similar bi-directional device"?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #171
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
But wouldn't a Tuning Adapter be a "similar bi-directional device"?
In my view, Yes. Why wouldn't they just say "Tuning Adapter"? I think its an attempt to mislead a CC user in an attempt to move them back to a BHN STB.

I did call BHN. After being transferred from Sales to Technical Support I was put on hold by the CSR for about 5 minutes. She finally got back on the line and told me what I already knew -- the letter didn't effect my ability to receive the channels listed in the letter. I asked her, "Why did I receive the letter?" She said it tied to the fact that I'm a CC user and they don't look at whether or not a user has a TA. She agreed with me that the letter was vague and could have been clearer about the use of a Tuning Adapter. She was actually pretty pleasant and was completely unaware of the additional channels moving to SDV.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #172
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Thanks, you all. Very educational.

However, I still don't understand why adding a TA will prevent MRV of analog stations. Further, BH is now advertising that their latest DVRs permit all sorts of MRVing.

So, we're SOL about Verizon. Is there ANY provider option that will use TiVo besides the very annoying BHN?
Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #173
tigre99
Tigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I believe that that BHN will be required to support self installs starting next month (June). I'm debating about possibly upgrading one of my TiVo HD's to a Premiere but wanted to wait for the self-install before even thinking about it.
I just had the tuning adapter installed for the second time. The first one was very flaky. I am bit skeptical about self-installs. The tech I had was not very knowledgable, but the tuning adaptor needed to be "married" to the cable cards by having someone in tech support ping them..
tigre99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #174
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre99 View Post
I just had the tuning adapter installed for the second time. The first one was very flaky. I am bit skeptical about self-installs. The tech I had was not very knowledgable, but the tuning adaptor needed to be "married" to the cable cards by having someone in tech support ping them..
Generally the tech's are pretty much incompetent when it comes to Cable Cards and Tuning Adapters. Self-installs with a bit of research prior to the install is all the consumer needs. TA's remain somewhat flaky although my two (2) TA's are much more reliable than they were 6 months ago probably due to firmware updates on both the TiVo side and the Cisco Side.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #175
lrhorer

Quote:
However, I still don't understand why adding a TA will prevent MRV of analog stations.
Well, I don't know this for a fact, but it is possible your provider delivers digital versions of all the analog channels and that the TA forces you to receive the digital versions. I would not expect this to be the case, but it is possible. More specifically,I would expect the presence of a CableCard, with or without a TA, would force this. It is certainly the case here on TW Cable San Antonio.

If true either way, and your provider sets the CI byte on everything, then indeed you will not be able to MRV those channels on an un-hacked TiVo.

Quote:
Further, BH is now advertising that their latest DVRs permit all sorts of MRVing.
That's a different question.

Quote:
So, we're SOL about Verizon. Is there ANY provider option that will use TiVo besides the very annoying BHN?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Every CATV provider - or at least every major one - is required by law to support CableCard devices like the TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #176
sbiller

Cost of BHN Tampa Tuning Adapters

I'm currently paying $3.80 each for my TAs from BHN Tampa. Is this consistent with your cost?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #177
windracer
joined the 10k club

The TA is supposed to be free for the first year ... at least that's the deal I got when I got mine.

|
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #178
sbiller

Quote:
The TA is supposed to be free for the first year ... at least that's the deal I got when I got mine.
I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they'll credit my account.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #179
sbiller

I spoke to BHN CSR this morning. They apologized for the miscommunication related to the TAs and agreed to credit my account for 3 months only for the TAs. After that they will revert to the $3.80/mo per TA. I'm still trying to better understand how the FCC guidelines allow them to charge for the TAs. The guidelines appear to be somewhat silent on the cost of the TAs. Another comment/complaint to the FCC may be in order.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #180
sbiller

Found this mandate in the FCC-10-181A1 rules,

Quote:
Subscribers must be able to use the devices they purchase at retail to access all of the linear channels that comprise the cable package they purchase. Providing retail navigation devices and leased navigation devices with equivalent access to linear programming at an equivalent service price is essential to a retail market for navigation devices. <snip> We adopt these requirements pursuant to Section 629 because we conclude that SDV support for retail devices is necessary to assure a retail market for navigation devices.
By charging me $3.80 per TA I don't believe they are truly offering an equivalent service price.