TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #7921
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
The strange part is that I didn't make any changes to my service, it just happened randomly.
This is called an audit. I have been caught in it several times. Everytime I would go to the office and get my bill corrected, the billing computer would audit my account. According to the CSR in the local office, this would kick my bill out and recommend changes to my billing. It would then go to a local auditor person who blindly followed the computer's recommendation. I would never hear from anyone and changes would be posted to my account on dates on which I had absolutely no contact with anyone and on dates when there were no changes in my actual service.

Quote:
1st card: free
2nd card: $1.50 (said this was standard)
3rd card: $8.50
4th card: $8.50
and a monthly credit for one year of $15.
I believe this is still incorrect. See: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...ookieSupport=1

The way I see it , you have your primary outlet with one additional cablecard. Total charge for it should be $1.50. Then you have an additional digital outlet which should be charged at $8.50 That includes the first cablecard. You should be charge $1.50 for the second cablecard on that outlet, not $8.50

If you swap all your cablecards for M cards, then you should only see one additional digital outlet charge of $8.50.

My office and comcast cares could not figure out how to program the computer to bill me correctly and I got a $20/month credit for one year. I will probably be fighting with them again in August.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #7922
fishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
The way I see it , you have your primary outlet with one additional cablecard. Total charge for it should be $1.50. Then you have an additional digital outlet which should be charged at $8.50 That includes the first cablecard. You should be charge $1.50 for the second CableCard on that outlet, not $8.50
Excellent point. I will use that argument next time I talk to them. Not sure yet if it is worth calling again or just letting it ride for now. I am paying less than what I was last month.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #7923
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Yeah, the $17 in cc fees for the second TiVo is still wrong. Should be $10, I think ($8.50 + $1.50), which you can reduce by getting an M-Card in each TiVo.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #7924
morac
Cat God

I'm not sure anyone should be paying the $8.50 outlet fee.

When I was on the HD Triple play I wasn't paying any fees (not even the HD technology fee) beyond a rental fee for the EMTA device. I decided to switch phone service to Ooma so I dropped phone service. After that my bill went UP $10. I called and and they were charging me $27 for my 4 cable boxes. I told the person I had 4 cable cards and shouldn't be paying anything for them according to a notice from a previous bill. The person agreed and took the charge off.

FWIW, I still thought I was paying too much (nothing card related, just price gouging related) so they put me on a double play promotion for 12 months (still with no CC fees).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #7925
sptnut
Go Vols!!!!

I hate Comcast!

I seriously HATE Comcast. So I called today to inquire about a cablecard. At first they tell me its $39.99 to have someone come install it. I told them no way, since I clearly says on the website I can pick one up in my area. Then they tell me well, thats true I can, but they can't guarantee one will be available at the service center. She then tells me they can ship me one, no problem, but that will cost $9.95 shipping. I swear I hate this company. The service center I'd be going to is large, the main one for this area. Is there any risk of them not actaully having a cablecard?

If they can find a way to nickle and dime you they will. The funniest of all is they tried to upgrade my service, even though I cancelled the exact same service last month. Doh!
sptnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #7926
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'm not sure anyone should be paying the $8.50 outlet fee.

When I was on the HD Triple play I wasn't paying any fees (not even the HD technology fee) beyond a rental fee for the EMTA device. I decided to switch phone service to Ooma so I dropped phone service. After that my bill went UP $10. I called and and they were charging me $27 for my 4 cable boxes. I told the person I had 4 cable cards and shouldn't be paying anything for them according to a notice from a previous bill. The person agreed and took the charge off.

FWIW, I still thought I was paying too much (nothing card related, just price gouging related) so they put me on a double play promotion for 12 months (still with no CC fees).
Around here they charge full outlet fee for any card after the first, unless you get lucky and they add one additional card for $1.50/mo. (I got lucky with an extra Tivo). But any card after two would be $8.50/mo.

All of this is subject to change later this year as they are required to standardize CC rental fee across all devices, theirs and ours.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #7927
myosh_tino

Just show you how CableCard charges vary region by region, where I live (near San Jose, CA) there is no such thing as additional outlet fees or HD programming fees.

I have a Series3 with 2 S-Cards, a TivoHD with an M-Card and a Premier XL with an M-Card for a total of 4 CableCards. Here's how I'm being charged by Comcast...

$16.95 --- Digital Preferred (incl all digital and HD channels)
$64.99 --- Standard Cable (basically Basic + Expanded Basic)
$4.50 --- CableCards, 3 @ $1.50 each (first CableCard included with Digital Preferred)
$6.95 --- Sports & Entertainment Package
$25.99 --- TV Japan (for my parents)
$9.07 --- Local Taxes & Fees

$128.45 --- TOTAL Cable Bill

TV-wise, I basically get everything except for the premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc) including all non-Premium HD channels. There is no HD programming fee or additional digital outlet charges and CableCards are $1.50 each. The reason why I'm only paying for 3 cards when I have 4 is because the first card is considered my digital set-top box.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #7928
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

It could be an error in your favor. I only get charged the $1.50 cablecard fee on my additional outletas well, but I kind of suspect it's because someone screwed up.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #7929
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, if you read Comcast's FAQ about CC charges, it specifically says that additional cards will be charged as an outlet, but the Tivo S3's needing two cards (at $1.50 for extra) has led to a loophole allowing SOME customers to get any extra cards for that price.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #7930
jrm01

I have the XFinity triple play package for $139. I also have a THD and a THD XL, each with an m-card. The only additional video fee I pay is $3.00 for "Digital Additional Outlet with Cablecard".

I pay no additional fee for the cablecards. One is included in the Digital service package and the other is included in the Addional Outlet charge.

It is unbelievable how these fees can vary from city to city.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #7931
fishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy

Excellent point. I will use that argument next time I talk to them. Not sure yet if it is worth calling again or just letting it ride for now. I am paying less than what I was last month.
So I called back today and told them they should only be charging me 1.50 for the 4th card. He said after two cards "all CableCards get charged as an extra digital outlet". He offered to have someone come out and install 2 Mcards for free. So I took him up on the offer to avoid anymore discussion on the topic. He confirmed that they would charge me 8.50 for the second Mcard once that is installed.

He also offered a Comcast DVR for 6 months for free if I wanted to try it out. So I took him up on the offer but will probably take it back after 6 months. I figured I would try out the on demand stuff to see what I've been missing.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #7932
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Yeah, the $17 in cc fees for the second TiVo is still wrong. Should be $10, I think ($8.50 + $1.50), which you can reduce by getting an M-Card in each TiVo.
I just called Comcast as I noticed my bill just went up $35 a month because they're charging me $7.95 PER CARD for 5 CableCARDS. I get one free after the outlet fee and the digital access fee.

"This is exactly what you charge to rent an entire box!"

Yes. That's right.

"Two pairs of these are in ONE box each."

This, when I'm still steaming about the Comcast truck that disconnected and tore up my connection just to see who would complain, which left me without service for an entire weekend because they wouldn't take my outage report until late on Friday. ARHHHGGGGGGGH!

I called to cancel all premium channels.

Imagine. Its $192 a year just to connect one Series 3 TiVo THAT I OWN.

I'm going to turn in two CableCards and leave on S3 as a remore and eventually, OTA only.

I got another $20 credit and free HBO. Ess notteenough.

I'll add UVerse real-soon-now with a TiVo to capture SD from from it.

Comcast should not have been edged out t win Worst Company in America again.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #7933
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

This is what I'm afraid of with the new FCC rules stating that they must uniformly charge for CCs regardless whether they are in their boxes or ours - they will simply make the outlet fee a CC rental fee for EVERY card.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #7934
jrm01

Unbelievable! Unbelievable! Comcast billing is unbelievible.

In my Comcast bill last month I got a 3-page list of their fee changes (all in sixpoint type), but no specific notice that my rates would go up. Well, they did from $167 to $183 for the Triple Play.

My HD Preferred package went up by $10 to $149. My modem rental went up by $2 to $7. But the one that really bugged me was the charge for "Digital Additional Outlet with Cablecard" which went from $3 to $6.30.

Now I know that compared to many others in this thread I am still getting a break since they don't charge anything for the cablecards and this is a special "Additional Outlet Fee" for a cablecard device, but it still bugs me.

BTW, this is for an m-card in each of my two TiVo HDs.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #7935
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Wait -- there are still people who rent cable modems?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #7936
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Wait -- there are still people who rent cable modems?
That's a little dirty trick the cable providers pull if you go with their phone service. Not only can't you buy your own eMTA (Cable modem with separate VOIP channel), but cable providers make you pay a rental fee.

Comcast just bumped their fee up to $7 a month which is one of the reasons I dropped their voice service (and switched to Ooma. Though since I had a triple play package, dropping phone service actually resulted in my rates going up (still can't see the logic in that one). I did manage to get on a fairly low promo rate for a year after complaining about that though.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #7937
Davelnlr_

They charge me $7.95 for the Premier with M-card, and $7.95 for their stand alone cable box. Both are listed as HD Service Fee... Go figure. Be interesting what they charge me for the second M-Card I just added, assuming they can EVER get it paired. Its been two days now, and nobody at Comcast knows how to do it. Supposed to call me Monday when someone that knows what a cablecard is, arrives for work.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #7938
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
They charge me $7.95 for the Premier with M-card, and $7.95 for their stand alone cable box. Both are listed as HD Service Fee... Go figure.
Actually, that (amount) sounds about right. They would consider the Cable box and the TiVo as occupying two different outlets.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #7939
Cap'n Preshoot

Universally despised

Comcast, nee, Xfinity, is unarguably the one constant in an ever-changing universe. If there is ever a way to piss off the customer, Comcast will find it. Their secret to survival is that for the most part, they have no or little competition in their market area unless you're willing to go the Satellite route.

In 2009 our HOA's 5-yr contract for bulk services (i.e., apartment rates) was coming up for renewal. As we began bantering this (and the options) about the neighborhood we were suddenly bombarded with resident's reports of literally hundreds of inconsistent bills for bundled services with most of them lacking or not properly reflecting our bulk services discount. We're a retirement community (restricted living +55) and so many residents were too confused to call up Comcast and become even more confused. In late 2009 we contacted Comcast's local senior management, demanded and got someone assigned to our account to reconcile the last 12 months of billing for approx 600 residents.

At the end of the day (some 3 months later) most residents were actually due refunds, with several individual refunds amounting to several hundred dollars each! We got no actual cash refunds, but these residents did receive account credits for everything they were due, including the tax.

However, even to this day we learn of residents still being over charged. The problem it seems is in the bundling of packages together with limited-time incentives which ultimately expire and revert back to standard (full) billing irrespective of the blanket discount in place for our standard residential bundle: (1 HD receiver, 1 Std receiver, 3 digital outlets, Basic + Expanded Basic + Digital Starter). As a condition of the contract the rate we pay is confidential, but I can tell you it's a very sweet deal and all paid for by our HOA (and recouped through our dues).

It just seems that the teledroid on the phone and the counter-droid at their local service center cannot get it through their head that residents of this facility are exempt from standard rates and that a specific account code is associated with this address.

Bottom line, the billing system works flawlessly: It's the human element of keyboard entry that is seriously flawed and Comcast just doesn't seem to care. They're quick to correct a billing error that's brought to their attention, but it's always a reactive process instead of proactive.

Locally (Houston, TX) the 1st cable card and digital outlet is "free" (included in the service bundle)
2nd cable card and thereafter is $1.50 each + another digital outlet fee ($8.50)
Good luck getting them "enabled"
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #7940
kbake

Ok...so back in February I got my brand new Tivo Premiere, did a self install on the cable card and for 3 days we enjoyed wonderful digital and HD television. After those first 3 days we've had nothing but bad tiling or no signal on ALL digital channels and no signal on ALL my HD channels. The weird thing was that after nightfall we would start to get back signal on some of the digital channels. A tech came out last week and suggested the problem was with the RG6 cable run from the street to the house (350 ft) was too small to carry a strong enough signal and that the degraded signal during the day was due to the hotter temps this past week heating the cable.

Today Comcast was back out to run RG11 cable and I have to say it has made a huge difference. Where the signal strength on the digital channels where consistently around 27-28% it is now at 78-79%. Not sure why the RG11 wasn't run 2 years ago when we built the house, it's obviously needed for such a long run.

So for those of you who have to have cable run over 150 feet, insist on RG11... it really does make a difference.

Last edited by kbake : 05-09-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correction
kbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #7941
Davelnlr_

Kbake, do you remember what your SNR readings were before and after that switch?
I have a friend with similar problems.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #7942
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbake View Post
Ok...so back in February I got my brand new Tivo Premiere, did a self install on the cable card and for 3 days we enjoyed wonderful digital and HD television. After those first 3 days we've had nothing but bad tiling or no signal on ALL digital channels and no signal on ALL my HD channels. The weird thing was that after nightfall we would start to get back signal on some of the digital channels. A tech came out last week and suggested the problem was with the RG6 cable run from the street to the house (350 ft) was too small to carry a strong enough signal and that the degraded signal during the day was due to the hotter temps this past week heating the cable.

Today Comcast was back out to run RG11 cable and I have to say it has made a huge difference. Where the signal strength on the digital channels where consistently around 27-28% it is now at 78-79%. Not sure why the RG11 wasn't run 2 years ago when we built the house, it's obviously needed for such a long run.

So for those of you who have to have cable run over 150 feet, insist on RG11... it really does make a difference.
Huh, that's interesting...good info! When I got a cable modem a few years back (which I've switched away from now) they upgraded me to thicker cable.

Also kind of cool that most channels I get stronger signal than that over the air :-D (Man do I love ATSC!)
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #7943
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Have had 2 TivoHDs with 2 CableCards each (4 total S-Cards) for over 3 years. Always been charged for 3 CableCards @ $1.50 each ($4.50 total) with the first one being free.
If you have no comcast box, you should pay:
TiVo1 - $1.50 for 2nd card. Outlet is part of service.
TiVo2 - $8 (or whatever for "digital outlet") + $1.50 for second card.

$11 or so. If you have a Comcast STB, then it's same as Tivo2 ($9.50) for each TiVo. (because they take two cards. A single carded TiVo is just outlet fee)
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #7944
OneFineCab

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
Just show you how CableCard charges vary region by region, where I live (near San Jose, CA) there is no such thing as additional outlet fees or HD programming fees.

I have a Series3 with 2 S-Cards, a TivoHD with an M-Card and a Premier XL with an M-Card for a total of 4 CableCards. Here's how I'm being charged by Comcast...

$16.95 --- Digital Preferred (incl all digital and HD channels)
$64.99 --- Standard Cable (basically Basic + Expanded Basic)
$4.50 --- CableCards, 3 @ $1.50 each (first CableCard included with Digital Preferred)
$6.95 --- Sports & Entertainment Package
$25.99 --- TV Japan (for my parents)
$9.07 --- Local Taxes & Fees

$128.45 --- TOTAL Cable Bill
I too live in San Jose, CA and agree with inconsistent charges across regions from Comcast based on what I've read at this forum. Very interesting. Comcast charges me $64.95 for the Digital Starter Package (Standard Cable) plus $1.50 for the CableCard (must be an M-Card) in my TiVo HD box. Other than the $1.99 Service Protection Plan, I keep meaning to cancel, that's it. $68.48 without taxes/franchise fees. The only reason I can imagine for Comcast's inconsistent charges across the country is their past acquisitions of other cable companies .... or a complete failure to integrate. They get us coming or going and if I had a better, less expensive choice, while keeping my TiVo, I'd do it. When I add a TiVo Premiere, I now understand that will be another $1.50 per month. Just sharing in hopes to help others.
OneFineCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #7945
kbake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Kbake, do you remember what your SNR readings were before and after that switch?
I have a friend with similar problems.
No, I unfortunately did not get that info.
kbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #7946
dwit

Comcast Atlanta: Truck roll for 2nd Tivo?

Just ordered a Premiere from the woot deal.

I've had a Tivo HD with M-card for 3.5 years. Will installing (another) M-card in the Premiere require a truck roll?

TIA
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #7947
tmesser

I'm in west suburban Chicago and have been getting the runaround on whether I should still be charged $1.50/month for "T3ddvrcards" - even though I no longer have any TiVos with multiple cards.

In January, I bought a refurbed Premiere from Woot to swap for an HD with a dying hard drive. A new M-Card was installed in the Premiere. A re-pairing nightmare ensued with the HD after the hard drive was replaced, and Comcast swapped the two existing S-Cards for one M-Card.

Old setup:
- 1 TiVo HD with two S-Cards ($0.00/month for first card on primary outlet, $1.50/month for second card listed as "T3ddvrcards" on bill)
- 1 Sony TV with one S-Card ($7.95/month additional outlet)

New setup:
- 1 TiVo Premiere with one M-Card ($0.00/month for first card on primary outlet)
- 1 TiVo HD with one M-Card ($7.95/month additional outlet)
- 1 Sony TV with one S-Card ($7.95/month additional outlet)
- ...and I'm still stuck with "T3ddvrcards" ($1.50/month for... nothing?)

I think the $1.50/month is erroneous and redundant. Melissa from Comcast Cares told me that "Multi-stream cards are considered the same as using 2 S-cards. The charges are correct." But if that were truly the case, I'd be charged $1.50/month twice.

Someone from the regional corporate office will supposedly call me. We'll see what happens.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #7948
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post
I think the $1.50/month is erroneous and redundant. Melissa from Comcast Cares told me that "Multi-stream cards are considered the same as using 2 S-cards. The charges are correct." But if that were truly the case, I'd be charged $1.50/month twice.

Someone from the regional corporate office will supposedly call me. We'll see what happens.
You probably already know this, but that is not what the FAQ says: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...&fss=cablecard

The FAQ makes no reference to single stream or multi stream. It simply refers to CARDS and you have ONE in each device.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #7949
comosum

Chicago Comcast help

After moving to the suburbs I had to give up my RCN Tivo box and I tried dealing with Comcast's DVR. Well that lasted two days...

I need recommendationon for what Tivo to buy, what to ask for from Comcast, and what it should cost..

I only plan on running One HD TV on this account.

thx comosum
comosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #7950
DirectViewer

Quote:
what to ask for from Comcast, and what it should cost.
I'm from the SF Bay Area so things may be different from Chicago, but based on my 3 installations of Tivos, the most important thing to ask for is a free truck roll. In all 3 cases, I picked up an M-card at Comcast and attempted to install it by calling for activation. In every case the phone CSR couldn't get the pairing done, and they wasted 30-40 minutes finding that out. At that point, they offered a free service call and the in-person techs got the job done in a just a few minutes.

I currently have two Tivos and I've never been charged anything for the cablecards (although there is supposed to be a charge in my area). I don't know why this is so, but you could ask your CSR about it.
DirectViewer is offline   Reply With Quote