TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #871
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post
Sorry I knew I missed something I did change to a 1.5TB drive and that's why I'm confused.
I think I know what happened, but not 100% sure. And I'd rather not speculate.

Did you get the original stock drive with this TIVO? You could use that to copy and expand to the 1.5TB.

My only other suggestion is to run JMFS against that drive and toggle the Supersize option again. That might give you 217 hrs or so HD. Supersize is just a bit stored on the hard drive.

If the latter does nothing....

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #872
akbungle

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. He did not give me the original drive so maybe it just mirrored the previous drive which limited me to the 150 hours.

I have ordered a TiVo Premiere directly from TiVo doing an upgrade from my TiVo HD so I'm thinking I'll just take that drive and make both of my larger drives from that original one. In that case I'll also know that I'll have a good, solid image on the first one as well (since it has glitched once or twice but I assumed that was just a tuner signal thing but this way I can be more confident.)

There should be no issue making two copies from the one drive to serve two different TiVos, right?
akbungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #873
retiredqwest

Quote:
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. He did not give me the original drive so maybe it just mirrored the previous drive which limited me to the 150 hours.

I have ordered a TiVo Premiere directly from TiVo doing an upgrade from my TiVo HD so I'm thinking I'll just take that drive and make both of my larger drives from that original one. In that case I'll also know that I'll have a good, solid image on the first one as well (since it has glitched once or twice but I assumed that was just a tuner signal thing but this way I can be more confident.)

There should be no issue making two copies from the one drive to serve two different TiVos, right?
I have no personal experience doing that, but I know I've seen messages where people have done that.

You'd want to do this before you run setup on the new TP.

If it was me, I'd do a copy only from the 320G to another 320G or larger and mark that as the source drive for the Ebay TP. Then use that drive in the Ebay TP and run setup from there. If you are going to use cable cards, pair them. Then use that for the copy and expand and supersize.

Another thing to think about is upgrading them to a 2TB drive. The 320G takes 2-3 hrs to copy. The 1TB takes 8-9 hrs and a 1.5TB would take 12-13 hrs.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #874
akbungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
I have no personal experience doing that, but I know I've seen messages where people have done that.

You'd want to do this before you run setup on the new TP.

If it was me, I'd do a copy only from the 320G to another 320G or larger and mark that as the source drive for the Ebay TP. Then use that drive in the Ebay TP and run setup from there. If you are going to use cable cards, pair them. Then use that for the copy and expand and supersize.

Another thing to think about is upgrading them to a 2TB drive. The 320G takes 2-3 hrs to copy. The 1TB takes 8-9 hrs and a 1.5TB would take 12-13 hrs.
Wow I just noticed in your last post that I think I must have missed a step. I believe I did just the copy and supersize steps and missed the expand part which would make total sense since the HDD I copied from was a 1TB drive.
Hopefully the other idea to make two copies from the one drive works otherwise I'll be using a 1.5TB drive but only getting the benefit of 1TB.
Oh and I think for this other drive I'll be using a 2TB drive but I got the 1.5TB because it was a good price on Amazon last week.

Thanks for all your help and ideas!!

Last edited by akbungle : 05-03-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #875
hhickman

Well, I finally finished reading through this thread.

I'll be taking the leap and Upgrading my 3 Tivo P to 2TB drives.
hhickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #876
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhickman View Post
Well, I finally finished reading through this thread.

I'll be taking the leap and Upgrading my 3 Tivo P to 2TB drives.
I found it helpful to view the video on upgrading the Premiere. You can access the first part here. Have fun!
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #877
akbungle

Quote:
............ But now, finally, here is my problem: I made sure to "supersize" the drive but when I look at the settings screen it shows 156 hours recordable time and not the 236 I should have. Any thoughts on how I goofed this up?
Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Now I'm really confused I checked my "system Information" screen under recording capacity and it shows: up to 156 HD hours but then under my "recording quality" screen it shows 230 hours, 23 min for best quality so what is the deal on that one?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #878
retiredqwest

Quote:
Now I'm really confused I checked my "system Information" screen under recording capacity and it shows: up to 156 HD hours but then under my "recording quality" screen it shows 230 hours, 23 min for best quality so what is the deal on that one?
"Note: This setting has no effect on recordings from digital channels."

In other words..... those numbers mean nothing to HD recordings.....

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #879
bd3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum. You have several options. If it were me I would opt for one of these at this time:

WD10EVDS

WD20EVDS

Those are both A/V dedicated drives and do not need any AAM adjustments. If you buy them from Amazon or Newegg.com they s/b new enough that they won't need the Intellipark feature tweaked.

Probably the most popular drives being used here are these:

WD10EARS

WD20EARS

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
So for the Premiere, the WD10EVDS is preferable over the WD10EARS?
bd3521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #880
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3521
So for the Premiere, the WD10EVDS is preferable over the WD10EARS?
Only if you don't want to take the time to adjust the AAM on the WD10EARS.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #881
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

You can make as many dupes as you like, for different TiVos, from the same source drive. All will work.

The one caveat is that all of the boxes except the on the source drive came from to begin with will report a "hardware error", and will not work at all, at first. This is due to the drive containing the hardware address (TSN) of the original system it came from and the other boxes not matching that address.

The menus work though, and once you go to the CADE option (Clear and Delete Everything), and once that process finishes (can take hours), it will work fine.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #882
bd3521

Quote:
Only if you don't want to take the time to adjust the AAM on the WD10EARS.
I could, I know linux pretty well and hardware.

Assuming I made adjustments, why would the WD10EARS be superior?

I could go either way but would rather take the out the box solution if they were equivalent.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #883
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd3521 View Post
I could, I know linux pretty well and hardware.
HDDScan will do the trick.

Quote:
Never said it would be a superior solution. With respect to TiVo they are equals performance-wise. WD's non-A/V GP drives (such as the WD10EARS) are usually less expensive.

Quote:
I could go either way but would rather take the out the box solution if they were equivalent.
Any of the WD A/V GP line of drives would be a fine choice then.

Happy upgrading!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #884
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Probably cheaper than the A/V drives... otherwise I would say "comparable" versus "superior".
Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #885
akbungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
You can make as many dupes as you like, for different TiVos, from the same source drive. All will work.

The one caveat is that all of the boxes except the on the source drive came from to begin with will report a "hardware error", and will not work at all, at first. This is due to the drive containing the hardware address (TSN) of the original system it came from and the other boxes not matching that address.

The menus work though, and once you go to the CADE option (Clear and Delete Everything), and once that process finishes (can take hours), it will work fine.
Wow THANKS that totally saved me on my TiVo HD that I just replaced the HDD on. It kept giving me that "hardware error" "51" and saying it needed to restart and that it may take up to three hours but everytime it came back to say "hardware error" again. But after trying the Clear and Delete Everything option it came back and is now working great! Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #886
bd3521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Probably cheaper than the A/V drives... otherwise I would say "comparable" versus "superior".
Comparable? What would be different?

I understand the slight price difference but aren't the drives equivalent (specs, RPM, power usage, reliability, etc...) after configuring EARS?

Last edited by bd3521 : 05-09-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #887
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:

I understand the slight price difference but aren't the drives equivalent (specs, RPM, power usage, reliability, etc...) after configuring EARS?
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #888
richsadams

Quote:

WD A/V GP drives have a number of features designed to enhance DVR applications...mostly aimed at the security DVR market to address the high number of inputs (multiple cameras), recording at slow frame rates, etc. Those features are designed to improve the performance and/or add to the drive's longevity. The features add to the cost of manufacturing.

TiVo can't or doesn't need to take advantage of any of the A/V DVR features so with the exception of their acoustic settings there's no real advantage to using them when it comes to TiVo.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #889
ducker

Good price on a 2TB drive:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245
$69.99 with code EMCKEJK37
Good for about 24hours.

I haven't searched the tivo forums yet to see if anyone has any experience with this drive in a Premiere unit.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #890
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
Good price on a 2TB drive:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152245
$69.99 with code EMCKEJK37
Good for about 24hours.

I haven't searched the tivo forums yet to see if anyone has any experience with this drive in a Premiere unit.
That is a good price for a 2TB drive. Although some folks here are using them 1TB Sammys have a checkered past with TiVo historically either not working at all or becoming glitchy or failing later. AFAIK there's no data on the newer 2TB drives though. It would be good to have some feedback...however caveat emptor.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #891
ducker

Quote:
That is a good price for a 2TB drive. Although some folks here are using them 1TB Sammys have a checkered past with TiVo historically either not working at all or becoming glitchy or failing later. AFAIK there's no data on the newer 2TB drives though. It would be good to have some feedback...however caveat emptor.
Good to know.. I'm going to ponder this situation prior to pulling the trigger on it. And decide tonight. I've had one drive that's been running for about 5 years (in a S2 box, and then a D* Tivo box) . I'm kinda curious as to what drive that one is
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #892
jcthorne

I just bought a WD Green 2tb at amazon on Friday for $73. This is a drive with long history of working well in the tivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #893
ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I just bought a WD Green 2tb at amazon on Friday for $73. This is a drive with long history of working well in the tivo.
I wish I knew about that on friday
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #894
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
I wish I knew about that on friday
Yep, they are $78 today. They will go back down. I have an alert set at camelcamelcamel for this and several other items I and friends need on a regular basis. Buy them when the price drops. Amazon pricing can fluctuate several times a day.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #895
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yep, they are $78 today. They will go back down. I have an alert set at camelcamelcamel for this and several other items I and friends need on a regular basis. Buy them when the price drops. Amazon pricing can fluctuate several times a day.
All well and good provided that the drive they advertise is actually the drive they ship, said the guy who ordered two RE2s and got a box containing 2 "adult novelty items", and who ordered what in the pictures was a 512 byte sector WD20EADS with 32MB of cache and got a 4K platters WD20EACS with 16MB of cache.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #896
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Almost all of my Pre-Premiere upgrades of TiVos were done with Samsung Spinpoint drives, somewhere between 10 and 15 upgrades (mine and friends').

No problems at all.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #897
Charles R

Will the CD boot fine without having any TiVo drives attached? I'm trying to test if my PC will work ok and it takes forever and finally displays Boot Failed. Does this mean Linux itself couldn't load via the CD or something else?

During bootup it displays...

Loading boot/vmlinuz... followed by boot failed.

Thanks.

UPDATE: The PC must not be supported as the CD booted fine on my Intel Mac.

Last edited by Charles R : 05-12-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Charles R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #898
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Will the CD boot fine without having any TiVo drives attached? I'm trying to test if my PC will work ok and it takes forever and finally displays Boot Failed. Does this mean Linux itself couldn't load via the CD or something else?

During bootup it displays...

Loading boot/vmlinuz... followed by boot failed.

Thanks.

UPDATE: The PC must not be supported as the CD booted fine on my Intel Mac.
That, or your Mac is more tolerant of a dodgy CD burn. As you discovered, you don't need the TiVo drive attached to boot.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #899
JavaJoe_2

Thanks, Comer!!
Beer is on the way....
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #900
sliu2005

TiVo Premiere stuck in reboot loop

My TiVo Premiere is stuck in reboot loop, after plug in, it shows "welcome, starting up" screen, then all lights blink once, the screen goes blank, and returns to "welcome, starting up" screen. It does this continuously.

I have upgraded to 2TB WD20EVDS based on instructions in this thread (thanks to Comer for his excellent work). It has been working flawlessly for months until recently. The first sign of trouble is, suddenly, all front panel lights started to blink, so I power cycled the TiVo. After that TiVo boots up ok, but then some time later the menu froze while it is recording. so I power cycled again. This is when the endless reboot loop occurred.

I plan to hook up the drive to PC and run WD tool to check for drive errors. If there's no bad sectors, it is probably data corruption, I'll use jmfs to copy from stock drive again (I have the stock drive as backup). Otherwise I'll get a replacement drive and also copy from stock drive.

Either way, my recordings will be gone. My question is, if WD diagnostics tool report no bad sector (so it is just data corruption due to software bugs), is it possible to restore my recordings? TiVo support has no better suggestion other than replace the unit. I also saw the kickstart 54 option, but my TiVo Premiere won't start, so I cannot reboot from menu and use kickstart.

I am thinking if the OS is corrupted, maybe I can restore the OS only, and leave the recordings intact? is there a way to achieve this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
sliu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote