Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #811
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try un-installing and re-installing and see. One of the reason I got the EX490 was because of the Tivo expander. This was really helpful when I only had the stock drive, but still I like off loading all my movies to it. I suppose I can put it on my PC, but the mediasmart would be online more often.

At least now I know the reason and do not have to worry about trying to swap the drive out of my Tivo.
Just so ya know, the HP WHS TiVo content is stored in a strange-to-TiVo format. I tried copying off the .tivo files and putting them to be transferred by PyTiVo and the TiVo will not play them. IIRC it sees them as 0 length. YeahIdid try renaming them to .Tivo like transferred files, too.

It was in trying to transfer them to the TiVo Premiere where I had my first crashes.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #812
ducker

Noticed a Seagate at amazon going for $69. I don't see much in terms of comments regarding these drives, any particular reason? It's only $10 less then the WD green drive, my preference would be to go in the direction of the WD green, but always looking for a way to save a couple of dollars when buying hardware.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #813
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
Noticed a Seagate at amazon going for $69. I don't see much in terms of comments regarding these drives, any particular reason? It's only $10 less then the WD green drive, my preference would be to go in the direction of the WD green, but always looking for a way to save a couple of dollars when buying hardware.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
The egg people have a 1.5 WD green on sale today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-22136513-L03B

and the discount code is here:

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail...ner-_-AllDeals

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #814
ducker

yea its tempting... but if I'm going to upgrade a drive in a Premiere unit, why go with 1.5tb when you can do 2tb!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #815
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
yea its tempting... but if I'm going to upgrade a drive in a Premiere unit, why go with 1.5tb when you can do 2tb!
If you don't want one, feel free not to buy one.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #816
wesbc

Anyone notice that their Tivo becomes sluggish as the drive fills up? Mine is at 40% full and I notice that even the Guide seems to be sluggish. As I page up and down it'll take nearly a full second for it to populate all the time slot and some individual ones make take a little bit longer. Paging through My Shows also seems to be slower as well, taking a full second or more for each page. Don't recall it being this slow before.

Will be recording a boat load of movies from a free preview this weekend, hopefully I don't grind it to a halt.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #817
gilbreen

Just wanted to add another data point and extend my thanks to comer for his great tool.

I updated both of our Premiere boxes using the Hitachi CoolSpin 2TB drives that have been previously mentioned. I, too, purchased them at our local Fry's for $69. I first tested the drives using SpinRite by grc.com to identify any bad sectors but none were found.

I followed the instructions in the forum provided by comer. Couldn't have been simpler or gone any smoother. It is nice to have gone from a drive that was 95% full to now only 13% full.

Thanks to all those who have posted info and suggestions along the way.
gilbreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #818
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc
Anyone notice that their Tivo becomes sluggish as the drive fills up? Mine is at 40% full and I notice that even the Guide seems to be sluggish. As I page up and down it'll take nearly a full second for it to populate all the time slot and some individual ones make take a little bit longer. Paging through My Shows also seems to be slower as well, taking a full second or more for each page. Don't recall it being this slow before.

Will be recording a boat load of movies from a free preview this weekend, hopefully I don't grind it to a halt.
are you using HD menus or SD menus?
HD was poorly implemented and slow. SD is fast.

what free preview is going on this weekend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #819
wesbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
are you using HD menus or SD menus?
HD was poorly implemented and slow. SD is fast.

what free preview is going on this weekend?
Yeah, I'm using HD menus and I know it's slow, but it was liveable. Now it's seems like a dog. It did crash/reboot last night while just watching live TV so maybe it had to do some re-indexing. Guide seems to be better now.

Free preview for Stars and Encore for Fios from 3/31 - 4/4. That's one thing I like about having so much space, that I can record so much stuff that I can live with just the free preview I get.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #820
richsadams

Quote:

The 2TB on our Premiere XL is 70% and the 1TB on our Series3 is full. Honestly I haven't seen any real changes in response times from when they were new so what you're experiencing is
worrisome.

EDIT: It's a bit of a PIA but you might try going into your Recently Deleted folder and permanently deleting everything there (our Premiere XL has just shy of 400 recordings in there! ) Also try removing any SP"s that you don't need. Those kinds of things seem to have helped other's TiVo's become a little snappier.

Last edited by richsadams : 03-29-2011 at 02:11 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #821
richsadams

Quote:
Yeah, I'm using HD menus and I know it's slow, but it was liveable. Now it's seems like a dog. It did crash/reboot last night while just watching live TV so maybe it had to do some re-indexing. Guide seems to be better now.
The fact that it crashed is even more worrisome. It's beginning to have the earmarks of a failing hard drive. If it gives you some more grief you might want to consider running some of the Kickstarts, particularly KS54 (SMART). It's not fool-proof but it may give you an indication of pending HDD failure.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

It may be nothing but I'd start preparing for a worst case situation by transferring any recordings you can't live without (TiVo Desktop or KMTTG) JIC.

Last edited by richsadams : 03-29-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #822
sirfergy

I upgraded my Premiere to a 1TB drive but now want to go to 2TB. Do I need to use the original disk or can I use the 1TB disk?
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #823
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
I upgraded my Premiere to a 1TB drive but now want to go to 2TB. Do I need to use the original disk or can I use the 1TB disk?
It all depends on how it was copied and by whom. Tivos will only operate with 16 partitions or less.

To see what the 1TB has do the following.

Connect just the 1TB..... no other drives. And run JMFS. After it loads, type X for exit and enter.

At the command prompt type 'fdisk -l' and it should show the drive as a 1TB and 'dev/sba'. This could be different depending on how you attach the drive to the computer. I connect mine directly to the motherboard sata ports.

Next type in '/root/mfslayout.sh /dev/sba' and hopefully it will scroll some info up the screen. If not make then you probably mistyped the aforementioned command.

Holding <shift> and pressing the pageup key will scroll back through the screens.

Look for this on your screen:

1 : start= 1, size= 63 ( 31.50K), type='Apple_partition_map', name='Apple'
13: start= 64, size= 343828320 (163.95G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region 2'
2 : start= 343828384, size= 1 (512.00b), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 1'
3 : start= 343828385, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 1'
4 : start= 343844769, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 1'
5 : start= 344369057, size= 1 (512.00b), type='Image' , name='Bootstrap 2'
6 : start= 344369058, size= 16384 ( 8.00M), type='Image' , name='Kernel 2'
7 : start= 344385442, size= 524288 (256.00M), type='Ext2' , name='Root 2'
8 : start= 344909730, size= 262144 (128.00M), type='Swap' , name='Linux swap'
9 : start= 345171874, size= 1048576 (512.00M), type='Ext2' , name='/var'
14: start= 346220450, size= 6291456 ( 3.00G), type='Ext2' , name='SQLite'
10: start= 352511906, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region'
12: start= 354150306, size= 1638400 (800.00M), type='MFS' , name='MFS application region 2'
11: start= 355788706, size= 269353742 (128.44G), type='MFS' , name='MFS media region'

This is from my stock drive and it shows 14 partitions.

I'm guessing the 1TB has all 16 partitions in use. Hence, you will not be able to copy and expand that drive. You're stuck using the stock drive.

BUT, if the 1TB only has 15 partitions you should be able to copy and expand it since JMFS only writes 1 new partition.

I'd be curious if you try this and see what the results are.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #824
sirfergy

Thanks, I'll try that when I get the chance.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #825
MoneyMINTR

is there usage in JMFS to make a truncated back up image of the premier?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #826
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMINTR View Post
is there usage in JMFS to make a truncated back up image of the premier?
no

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #827
MoneyMINTR

too bad. I just recycled my premier HD for a deteriorating series 3 hd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
no

Old 04-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #828
hokie91

Ug, necer easy.... Used JMFS, USed WD 1.5TB EARS drive for Tivo Premiere, used CD boot methoid.. evertthuing went smooth....
Followed directions,
I did see on line about "splitting bad Blocks" in the copy, but that was it,

Expand and supersize worked, set HD management which gave usual errors.... now tivo started up... then GSOD!!! AHHHHH!!!!

Screen says let it run 3 hours,... I am not hopeful though.... any thoughts?

Thanks
hokie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #829
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

What do you mean by... "set HD management which gave usual errors"?
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #830
hokie91

There have been other comments on the newer hard drives that they don't take the "quiet " settings. Error is probably a strong word... the msg was liek command not compatible... so it did not execute as far as I could tell... still ruinning GSOD... should I wait till tomorrow then try a rwecopy if it is still GSOD?

TX

:

9) At this point you are done as far as the update goes although I highly recommend you carry out the next (optional) step which will set your drive to use aggressive power management (saving you money) and maximum acoustic silencing to keep your TiVo as quiet as possible. In my experience this command has no negatives and does not appear to impact TiVo's performance in any way. Issue the command:

hdparm -k 1 -B 1 -M 128 /dev/sdb

where /dev/sdb is the new TiVo drive. The options here have the following effect:

-k 1 = keep settings after drive is powered off.
-B 1 = set most aggressive power management mode.
-M 128 = set acoustic management to as quiet as possible.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #831
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

I wouldn't expect the EARS to have problems with the acoustic setting, but that shouldn't keep you from booting. It's there to quiet your seek noise (I doubt the "aggressive power management" claim). What is the mfr date for your EARS? Did you reset the intellipark timing w/wdidle3? Some of the 2010 drives through September have issues with the default settings... usually it manifests itself a frozen boot-up from a soft reset, not typically from a hard reset (power off/power on) as you're seeing.

If you haven't used wdidle3, I try that, and see if that solves your boot GSOD. If you've already done that, I'd re-download/burn jmfs live cd, checking the MD5 checksum before burning, and start over. Before you do that, run the extended WD diagnostics on your drive to be sure it comes up "faultless".
Old 04-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #832
rspad53

tivo hd. copied a winmfs drive to new drive with jmfs

My tivo hd with 500g wd expander was freezing up so
i hastily picked a seagate,st31000322cs(1tb),
it was stated as a 7 on the noise list.
Hooked up on internal sata, I used winmfs in windows7 to copy/create the tivo image from my original tivo 160hd and all went smooth.
Except the noise level, even from 9 feet was very noticable.

So i ordered a wd15EVDS, nov 7 2010 mfg date, from newegg and to confirm some posts the packing was excellent, the oem drive was in
bubble wrap, placed snugly in a small box and then packed with paper in a larger box.

I now booted with my burned jmfs disk. It would not recognize the drives on my secondary Marvel controller(mb d975xbx2), so i had to put them in the primary.
I now used jmfs to copy the winmfs seagate to the new wd.
The winmfs seagate had 15 partitions on it. btw i had to type in the root dir this: './mfslayout.sh /dev/sba' it would not work without the dot (current dir) in front of the slash to show the partitions.
The copy took 7.5 hours, i expanded and then checked for aam value, which was already set at 128.
i did NOT do anything with intelipower. And did NOT supersize with jmfs but did run winmfs against drive which
showed already supersized(as stated in thread).
The new wd worked perfectly and no soft reboot problems. shows 237hd hours. this was so easy i dont know why i didnt do it sooner.
Is it my imagination or is it booting quicker than it used to with the expander?
thank you to Comer and to atmuscarella for giving me the link.

Last edited by rspad53 : 04-13-2011 at 10:10 PM.
rspad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #833
hokie91

Stuxnet,
Thanks for the advice... I ran the WD diagnostics and none of the tests would not complete due to "too many bad sectors." I ended up running the "zero drive" option erasing the whole drive. Them ran the wdidle and teh process worked fine and tivo booted.

No my question is do I trust that it was good or is the drive bad since it came up with all those bad sectors. I could return it and get another.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.. advice was right on the mark!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #834
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie91 View Post
Stuxnet,
Thanks for the advice... I ran the WD diagnostics and none of the tests would not complete due to "too many bad sectors." I ended up running the "zero drive" option erasing the whole drive. Them ran the wdidle and teh process worked fine and tivo booted.

No my question is do I trust that it was good or is the drive bad since it came up with all those bad sectors. I could return it and get another.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.. advice was right on the mark!
Bad sector issues won't appear until the drive tries to write to those particular sectors. I would definitely return it if it were mine. Better now than when you have compiled a lot of recordings.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #835
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Bad sector issues won't appear until the drive tries to write to those particular sectors. I would definitely return it if it were mine. Better now than when you have compiled a lot of recordings.
@hokie91... I'm with Rich. I would return the drive. A bad sector isn't like a bad pixel. It often indicates an intrinsically faulty (or failing) drive. It might work fine for you for six months and then fail catastrophically.

Since you've already copied over your stuff to the new drive, you might considered running Darik's Boot and Nuke on it before returning. And be sure to fully test the replacement drive when you first take it out of the box.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #836
hokie91

Yea... I think I agree and thanks for the advice on wiping the drive. What a great COmmunity... I'd still be pulling my heair out without the help. NewEgg has the 1.5TB WD green EARS for 59.99 free shipping now.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #837
lynnalexandra

I hope I'm on the right thread. So many seem to apply. Thanks to the responses here, I'm going to buy a Tivo Premier (I have the upgrade offer so it's $470 with lifetime) - and upgrade to a 2TB drive.

I'd like to buy one of the pre-pared drives - by DVR dude or Tivo_Freak. put it in - andthen have comcast pair the cable cards. (I know I could use Comer's new program to prepare a 2TB drive but this is a terrible time personally to think I'll be able to get to that project between work and many ill family members.) my plan is to order the Tivo premier today.

I want help deciding which upgrade2 TB drive to get. On Ebay, Tivo-Freak is selling a 2TB Samsung drive for $105. Seems a great price. But I don't know him as a seller (good ratings though) - and I don't know if Samsung is a good drive choice.

Other possibility is to check back with DVR-Dude. I've dealt with him before and been very happy. Don't think the price will be that low - last I looked it was probably closer to $200. I don't recall which drives he uses, but I think I recall some WD drives - probably the ones liked here.

Any thoughts on which 2TB upgraded drive to get?

Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #838
Stuxnet
Alien Infidel

Since you're time limited, I wonder if you should be considering a 2TB upgrade so soon. Unless you're planning to install the new drive before you activate your TiVo, you could be looking at two truck rolls to pair and re-pair your cable card.

If you're comfortable opening up your PC and swapping hard drives, you might reconsider the Comer process... a new 2TB HDD can be had for $80... and no additional truck roll is required.

The Comer upgrade might seem less daunting once you've watched this video which is a walk through of the upgrade process.

Video - Part II
Old 04-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #839
lynnalexandra

Thanks for the link to the Youtube video.

I am planning to install the new drive before setting up the Tivo and having Comcast do the cable cards. I'm comfortable putting in a pre-prepared drive. I've done that before and it was easy. I even did an upgrade by preparing the drive myself with winmfs. That turned out to have a few snafu's - but isn't too daunting. It's just knowing that I don't have those few hours to set aside. Setting aside the time interval to have Comcast come is the only interval I'll get for a few weeks. I'm working or out of town the next few weekends. So saving $50-100 to do the preparation myself isn't worth it right now - since I don't have the time.

So I am wondering about which prepared drive to buy. Also - once I swap drives, do I set tivo up as much as I can prior to Comcast coming - or do they have to come first - and run set up with the cards inside?

Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #840
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
So I am wondering about which prepared drive to buy. Also - once I swap drives, do I set tivo up as much as I can prior to Comcast coming - or do they have to come first - and run set up with the cards inside?

Thanks.
Lynn.
Hi Lynn. Go with DVR Dude. He has a good track record here and there have been issues with Samsung drives in the past (DVR Dude uses the recommended Western Digital drive.)

The ideal situation is to run your TiVo for 30 days or so to be sure it's working properly. But if you want to install the new drive right away, then yes, once you've dropped the new drive into TiVo follow the pre-setup directions in the owner's guide (or here) to prepare it for the cable folks. (More here.)

Here are a couple nice videos about it as well...

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...ard/index.html

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...ard/index.html

Hope that helps and enjoy your new TiVo!