TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #3001
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Well just deleted the .pyc files from the directory and get SAME error when running console. Could the .PY files gone bad?

Anyway. Since the next step was probably to delete Python and reinstall it that is what I just did.
Uninstalled Python and PIL. Reinstalled both (from the original versions I had installed)

BAM.

Works.

What would cause something like this to just randomly stop working? Seems weird.

Last edited by NatasNJ : 03-30-2011 at 04:29 PM.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #3002
HerronScott

I'm having a problem playing .wma audio files using pyTivo from my Windows WHS server. Is there a log file for ffmpeg?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #3003
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I'm having a problem playing .wma audio files using pyTivo from my Windows WHS server. Is there a log file for ffmpeg?
Not per se. But if you run it from the console, you can watch the ffmpeg output.

Can you describe exactly what happens?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #3004
HerronScott

No audio when playing the WMA files is the symptom but the TiVo thinks it's playing them. Issue still appears to be WMA lossless support with ffmpeg. I thought I had read where the latest version supported it but apparently not as I'm getting something like the following:

Decoder (codec id 86057) not found for input stream #0.0

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #3005
lrhorer

Is anyone else having trouble with the push function? Are the mind servers down again? I've been trying to push some videos for several hours, to no avail:

Code:
<urlopen error [Errno 110] Connection timed out>

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 449, in Push
    tvrating = file_info['tvRating'])
  File "/usr/share/pyTivo/mind.py", line 84, in pushVideo
    offer_id, content_id = self.__bodyOfferModify(data)
  File "/usr/share/pyTivo/mind.py", line 197, in __bodyOfferModify
    data['bodyId'])
  File "/usr/share/pyTivo/mind.py", line 185, in __dict_request
    result = self.__opener.open(r)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 391, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 409, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 1178, in https_open
    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPSConnection, req)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 1145, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 110] Connection timed out>

lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #3006
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Is anyone else having trouble with the push function? Are the mind servers down again? I've been trying to push some videos for several hours, to no avail:
I haven't tried pushing anything, but connections to the TiVo Service are borked on all TiVos I own: Series 2, Series 3, and Premiere. All fail during the connection process after a period of time, stating "Service not found". It gets through setting the clock and verifying account status, but not much more after that. All DVRs were reboot, as well as router and cable modem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #3007
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I haven't tried pushing anything, but connections to the TiVo Service are borked on all TiVos I own: Series 2, Series 3, and Premiere. All fail during the connection process after a period of time, stating "Service not found". It gets through setting the clock and verifying account status, but not much more after that. All DVRs were reboot, as well as router and cable modem.
Thank god, I thought it was just me! All of my TiVos (wireless and MoCA) started throwing N11, N18, etc. errors last night. I rebooted my router, my cable model, checked firewall settings, etc. and couldn't get any of them to connect. The problem persisted this morning so I was hoping it was a problem on TiVo's end. There must be another thread about this around here somewhere ...

edit: hmmm, I don't see any recent threads about this. I know orangeboy is in FL like me so maybe this is a Brighthouse issue?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #3008
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

I'm starting a thread in the Help forum in the hopes to catch TiVoJerry or TiVoStephen's attention. I'm going to include links to yours and lrhorer's posts.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...wpost&t=467682

Last edited by orangeboy : 04-05-2011 at 08:28 AM.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #3009
ncfoster

Troubleshooting list?

Hi all,

Is there any sort of trouble-shooting checklist for pyTivo? Obviously, you can search, but most of the search terms are going to be very common.

My current problem that just developed is that I have a folder which contains multiple episodes of the same show from different sources. One was downloaded directly from the Tivo and decoded, and has the appropriate metadata. The others came from a ReplayTV, and were transcoded, one with Handbrake, and the other with MeGUI, just to test how they would work. At this point, none of the shows show up in the folder, where at least the Tivo-originated ones would show up before.

Do I have to add the metadata for everything in the folder to make things work?
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #3010
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
Is there any sort of trouble-shooting checklist for pyTivo?
There is, but it's not going to help in your case.

Quote:
Do I have to add the metadata for everything in the folder to make things work?
No.

Presumably an exception is being thrown at some point. Check the log and/or console output.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #3011
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Presumably an exception is being thrown at some point. Check the log and/or console output.
How can I monitor the console if I am running pyTivo in console mode? Or am I limited to the log file(s) in this case?

EDIT: Restarting the service seems to have resolved my problems for now, but I'd still love to know the answer for future reference.

Last edited by ncfoster : 04-08-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #3012
innocentfreak

This has probably been asked for, but I thought about it at work so I haven't had time to search yet.

Is there anyway to add navigational links to the web interface for PyTiVo? I use it most of the time from my iPad to navigate and push recordings to my TiVos. It would be nice if there were shortcuts I could use to jump back to the main share page at least.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #3013
speed_phreak

Yes, navigation links would be nice.. More than a couple times I have also wanted a "Check All" box for whatever folder I'm in to take a whole folder to go...

Maybe one of these days I will experiment and make a contribution.

Thanks wmcbrine for continuing to maintain and advance this project!!!

Premiere 2TB HDUI + TA
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #3014
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Is there anyway to add navigational links to the web interface for PyTiVo?
gonzotek had a patch that would add a "home" link to the web pages. I used it for a while but it never made it into wmcbrine's fork and after a while I forgot to keep applying it every time I upgraded.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #3015
ncfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Is there anyway to add navigational links to the web interface for PyTiVo?
+1 I was wondering this the other day. I was going to add it myself, then I realized there was a bit too much straight XML going on to do it quickly for a noob like me.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #3016
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Wow, that's a new one.

No, there are no issues with any version of pyTivo and 14.8 that I'm aware of. I'd look at pyTivo's log and/or console output.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #3017
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
...and after a while I forgot to keep applying it every time I upgraded.
me too actually

Sometime this weekend I'll make sure it still works, and post a fix if doesn't.
I'd love for it to be included in wmcbrine's fork however. William, do you have any interest in that, and if so, do you want me to do anything specific to submit it to you?
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #3018
speed_phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Wow, that's a new one.

No, there are no issues with any version of pyTivo and 14.8 that I'm aware of. I'd look at pyTivo's log and/or console output.
Thanks for the reply... I just deleted my post... it must have been something on my end. I rebooted everything and all is well!

It does appear that TiVo has updated the backend logic involved with transfers, I guess we will see if that is good or bad... LOL..

Premiere 2TB HDUI + TA
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #3019
jbernardis

pytivo transcoding when pushing mp4

I noticed that a lot of my videos that I had transcoded to MP4 (H264/AC3) were being transcoded when pushing. Since this obviously defeats the advantage of pushing, I did a little investigating, and here is what I find:

Code:
2011-06-20 22:57:40,405 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: ffmpeg output=FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Mar 15 2011 17:58:44 with gcc 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
  configuration: --disable-yasm
  libavutil    50. 39. 0 / 50. 39. 0
  libavcodec   52.114. 0 / 52.114. 0
  libavformat  52.103. 0 / 52.103. 0
  libavdevice  52.  3. 0 / 52.  3. 0
  libavfilter   1. 76. 0 /  1. 76. 0
  libswscale    0. 12. 0 /  0. 12. 0
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from '/media/Videos/TV/Falling Skies/Falling Skies - E100 - Pilot.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 512
    compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
    creation_time   : 1970-01-01 00:00:00
    encoder         : Lavf52.93.0
  Duration: 01:22:57.21, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 4480 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p, 960x540 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 4028 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Metadata:
    Stream #0.1(und): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 6 channels, s16, 448 kb/s
    Metadata:
At least one output file must be specified

2011-06-20 22:57:40,416 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: aFreq=48000; vFps=29.97; container=mov; kbps=4480; mapAudio=[('0.1', '(und)')]; vHeight=540; vCodec=h264 (Main); Supported=True; aKbps=448; par=None; millisecs=4977210; par2=1.0; par1=1:1; mapVideo=0.0; vWidth=960; dar1=16:9; aCodec=ac3
2011-06-20 22:57:40,420 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: CACHE HIT! /media/Videos/TV/Falling Skies/Falling Skies - E100 - Pilot.mp4
2011-06-20 22:57:40,423 DEBUG pyTivo.video.transcode: TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 (Main) not compatible, /media/Videos/TV/Falling Skies/Falling Skies - E100 - Pilot.mp4
Obviously the vCodec is coming back as "h264 (main)" which isn't what the program is expecting.

I am running pytivo in a rather unorthodox environment - on my Netgear ReadyNAS. Running pytivo itself was never an issue - the issue was getting a current copy of ffmpeg I could run. The version I was able to get with the apt-get tool was way behind, so I actually built the ffmpeg from very recent source code. Obviously I found an unanticipated result.

I guess I'm seeking advice on how to handle this. I'm thinking of changing the code that looks for literal 'h264' to allow 'h264 (*'. The problem is that I don't really know if this vCodec is truly the same as h264. In the same debug.log file, I noticed other videos (notably m4v videos downloaded from Make Magazine) return a vCodec value of 'h264 (Constrained Baseline)'. I'm not sure what the differences are between these two and what the consequences are of allowing a direct push to tivo. Perhaps instead of 'h264 (*' I should allow either 'h264' or 'h264 (Main)'?

Advice Anyone?

Thanks
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #3020
jbernardis

OK - here is an update.

I changed transcode.py to accept any vCodec that begins with h264, and now the video pushes fine. The problem is that playback is wrong - I am getting vertical pillars and am seeing a 4x3 image. Note the image is not being squeezed - it is being cropped. Changing the aspect ratio on the tivo does nothing but stretch (and thereby distort) the image on screen.

edit - this was one of the 'h264 (Main)' videos - haven't tried on of the Constrained Baseline ones yet

edit # 2 - the image is not being cut off left AND right - the left edge is fine - it is the right side that is being cropped - but twice the width of the pillar and then the screen is being shifted right to be centered on the screen

edit #3 - I tried one of the Constrained Baseline files, and it was also being shown 4x3, but this one was squeezed - playing with the aspect button brought it to proper width and aspect ratio

Not sure what to do next.

Last edited by jbernardis : 06-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #3021
jbernardis

I'm not sure if it will solve all the issue's I'm seeing, but I have decided that it;s time to update my pytivo. I notice that in the current version of transcode.py, the regular expression that parses out the video codec now stops when it sees a comma or a space - it used to only look for the comma. With this, my version of ffmpeg will yield a vCodec value of 'h264' which will satisfy the test. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also noticed that the tivo itself (mine are series 3's) is rather sensitive to the video characteristics. I had cut down the frame size, and left the frame rate at 59+ fps. I transcoded the video back to full size frames and changed the frame rate to 29.97. It seems to be working now.

Now I have to solve the issue of qtfaststart not handling files that are larger that 4G. I noticed in the update of pytivo that there is a new version of qtfaststart.py. Tomorrow I'll see if this solves this issue.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #3022
txporter
One sec, almost done

Yes, updating your pytivo is probably a good idea. The (main) portion of the vCodec is just the profile. Tivos accept baseline, main and high profiles.

I don't have a Series 3, but do have a TivoHD. I know that jcthorne has made a lot of post about the problems of displaying framesizes that were different than the norm (720x480, 1280x720 and 1920x1080).

Are you transcoding these videos yourself from recordings? Is there any reason that you need to set the profile level or change the frame size to 960x540? I would be surprised to find out that the profile itself is causing any of these odd display characteristics of the video. More likely it is the frame size.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #3023
jcthorne

Good catch, I did not see the 960x540 frame size in the ffmpeg output posted.

That frame size will not display correctly on a series 3 machine. You will need to pad it with boarders to 1280x720 or down res to 720x480. Its a know bug in that generation tivo. The Premiere fixed this.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #3024
jbernardis

Thanks all. This is what I assumed. I had been reducing the frame size (if you notice 960x540 is 1920x1080 with each dimension halved) just to save space, but I'd rather have tivo compatibility - so I'll re-transcode.

On another matter, I have some bluray rips that play on the tivo, but have a strobe-like effect. I'm thinking that the large frame size (full 1920x1080) together with a relatively high quality are too much for the tivo. I was thinking that I should reduce the quality setting a bit to see if it's any better. Any other advice?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #3025
jcthorne

What is the bitrate, frame rate and profile level of the encodes? Series 3 are a bit more limited than most bluray players and Premiere. I don't remember the exact upper limits for 1080 on the series 3 as I did not have 1080 display devices then, everything I did for the THD was at 720p.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #3026
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
What is the bitrate, frame rate and profile level of the encodes? Series 3 are a bit more limited than most bluray players and Premiere. I don't remember the exact upper limits for 1080 on the series 3 as I did not have 1080 display devices then, everything I did for the THD was at 720p.
Here is the output from ffmpeg:
Code:
FFmpeg version UNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Mar 15 2011 17:58:44 with gcc 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
  configuration: --disable-yasm
  libavutil    50. 39. 0 / 50. 39. 0
  libavcodec   52.114. 0 / 52.114. 0
  libavformat  52.103. 0 / 52.103. 0
  libavdevice  52.  3. 0 / 52.  3. 0
  libavfilter   1. 76. 0 /  1. 76. 0
  libswscale    0. 12. 0 /  0. 12. 0
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'xxxxxx.mp4':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : isom
    minor_version   : 512
    compatible_brands: isomiso2avc1mp41
    encoder         : Lavf52.93.0
  Duration: 02:06:01.69, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 8473 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(und): Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 7828 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 24k tbn, 47.95 tbc
    Metadata:
    Stream #0.1(und): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 6 channels, s16, 640 kb/s
    Metadata:
At least one output file must be specified
SO it appears the bit rate is 8473 kbps, the frame rate is 23.98, and the profile level (from the transcoding parameters) is 4.1.

Maybe the 23.98 fps is the issue - I think others have stated that the series 3 chokes if the frame rate is not at least 29.97

Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #3027
jcthorne

23.976 fps 1080p cannot be played on the Series 3 units. Only 1080i which is usually 29.97. Also the number of reference frames should be checked. No more than 4.

The Premiere added the capability for 1080p 24.

That video would have to be re-encoded to play on a Series 3.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #3028
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
23.976 fps 1080p cannot be played on the Series 3 units. Only 1080i which is usually 29.97. Also the number of reference frames should be checked. No more than 4.

The Premiere added the capability for 1080p 24.

That video would have to be re-encoded to play on a Series 3.
thank you - looks like I'm going to be busy re-encoding

Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #3029
txporter
One sec, almost done

Frankly, none of the Tivos (Series 3, TivoHD or Premiere) handle 23.976fps very well. On my TivoHDs, I found that any framerate less than ~25fps exhibited strobing/shimmering. Even the Premiere shows some of this, but it isn't as bad. Perhaps some of it is has to do with the refresh rate of the LCDs. Not really sure. I had found that 23.976fps MPEG2 playback was always much more stable than 23.976fps H.264 though, so it seems like it is mainly a Tivo decode/playback issue.

Also, if you want to transcode to a smaller framesize, I would just use 1280x720. It should be ok for you.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #3030
heuer1370

OK, my pytivo opens for about 1 second in a black box then closes. I cannot figuire out what I'm doing wrong. Here is a copy of my config. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Laptop Videos]
type = video
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe
path = C:\Users\MyName\Videos

Last edited by heuer1370 : 06-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.
heuer1370 is offline   Reply With Quote