TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
01grander

Premiere HD "Image"

I upgraded the hd in mine to 1tb and want to reuse the 320gb drive for something else. Anyone know where I could get an image of the hd? But not the full size. I am wanting it in case I ever have to send it in I'll need to swap in the 320 and I'll need it to be formatted correctly and have the software on it.

Hope I made sense.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
magnus
Tivo User

I'd keep the drive as is and buy another one instead. Just put the 320 in a closet or something. You'll be glad you did.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
matguy

Recertified 320 GB drives are available for under $40 shipped, new ones for $50, both at our well known "egg" supplier. If you just need a drive, smaller recertified drives are under $30.

Only you can judge worth, but I'm in the "insurance" camp, store it.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Worf

Hell, you should be able to buy brand new 1TB drives for under $100 retail, not even online, especially on sale.

Keep the drive as insurance and backup.

If not, image the disk yourself - though I think you can buy an InstantCake CD for around $40 as well (which contains an officially licensed image for your TiVo).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01grander View Post
I upgraded the hd in mine to 1tb and want to reuse the 320gb drive for something else. Anyone know where I could get an image of the hd? But not the full size. I am wanting it in case I ever have to send it in I'll need to swap in the 320 and I'll need it to be formatted correctly and have the software on it.

Hope I made sense.
As others have recommended, don't even think about repurposing it. Put the drive on the shelf. No one has come up with a program (like winMFS or MFSTools) to create a truncated image for the Series4's (Premiere or Premiere XL).

FWIW you can get a 2TB drive for <$85 now.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...6984546&sr=8-1

With a recent rebate they were $69.99!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
though I think you can buy an InstantCake CD for around $40 as well (which contains an officially licensed image for your TiVo).
Unfortunately there is no IC image for the Premiere or Premiere XL (even though they have a drop-down box for it, you can't order one). Another reason to save the original drive.

Last edited by richsadams : 02-06-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Add link
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
01grander

I'm actually curious what Norton Ghost would do about creating an image. I may just keep it though.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
richsadams

Quote:
I'm actually curious what Norton Ghost would do about creating an image. I may just keep it though.
Any cloning program could backup a drive (including the free dd_rescue), but you'd have to backup the entire drive to an equal or larger drive (and there's a chance you could not use that to upgrade to a larger drive later). However what I think you're looking for is a truncated backup of the OS for which there aren't any tools to do that with the Series4 TiVo's to date.

Putting the original hard drive on the shelf serves several purposes. If/when your new hard drive fails you can slip the original drive back into TiVo and be back up and running in a few minutes. If your TiVo fails for some other reason and you need warranty service you can put the original drive back in and return it (providing you don't mention the upgrade to the CSR). You can always use the original drive to image a new drive if/when your current or any succeeding drives fail. In other words you'll always have a resource; a perfect image.

Since there are (currently) no Premiere or Premiere XL images available if something goes wrong having the OEM drive available is the least expensive, safest insurance you can buy.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Norton Ghost is not a bit for bit copy and will not work with the TiVo but we have tools for making an exact copy of any TiVo disk

Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Norton Ghost is not a bit for bit copy and will not work with the TiVo but we have tools for making an exact copy of any TiVo disk
Exactly...but the OP is looking to repurpose his OEM drive, and ostensibly wants to keep a copy of the image somewhere. AFAIK that only somewhere would be another drive of the same size or larger...making the repurpose a moot point, yes?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Didn't Comer post how to make a truncated backup of the Premiere image?

Edit:
Found it.
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...98#post8246398

Although it looks kind of complicated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Didn't Comer post how to make a truncated backup of the Premiere image?

Edit:
Found it.
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...98#post8246398

Although it looks kind of complicated.
I completely forgot about that. I don't think I'd attempt it, but for the adventurous...

For the price of a 320GB drive (or for $30 more for a 2TB drive) I'd still put it on the shelf.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's easiest just to keep it around. Although for me I have a habit of never using them again. I have a couple dozen TiVo drives in my closet ranging from 80GB from my old DirectTiVo drives, to the current 320GB drives I replaced in two of my Premieres.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
macmike12

Question will HDClone clone a Tivo drive? I want to put in a 1 tera drive in. Have access to drives SATAs and want to clone over for a Premiere unit. What program will clone if HDClone doesn't send me a link - mail <at> mikealrhughes <dot> com.

Thanks
macmike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmike12 View Post
Question will HDClone clone a Tivo drive? I want to put in a 1 tera drive in. Have access to drives SATAs and want to clone over for a Premiere unit. What program will clone if HDClone doesn't send me a link - mail <at> mikealrhughes <dot> com.

Thanks
Mike...see my response to your duplicate post here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...80#post8451180
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #15
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf
Hell, you should be able to buy brand new 1TB drives for under $100 retail, not even online, especially on sale.

Keep the drive as insurance and backup.

If not, image the disk yourself - though I think you can buy an InstantCake CD for around $40 as well (which contains an officially licensed image for your TiVo).
There is no instatcake for Premieres yet. With Weakness buying it, I'm not sure that's ever going to happen anyway.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
splintersam

I was wondering if any of you could save my bacon? I have a TCD746320 whose drive has suddenly stopped functioning properly (after always having been a bit buggy frankly) to the point of giving the welcome screen, pausing there for approximately a minute, then all of the lights on the box flashing and it restarting. This will go on for hours. The drive is corrupted and will not boot. I haven't been successful in restoring it as none of the software I have will recognize something Linux based. Anyway, is it possible to get an image I can put on another drive that will work with this unit? I'm out of warranty, not out of commitment, and can't watch tv at all right now. I had hoped to retrieve my 80% full content, but at this point I'd be ecstatic with just having my Tivo work. I've tried to PM ggieseke as suggested, however I don't have 10 posts so it won't go through. Can anyone help via email or dropbox? I could post inane comments 9 different times, but that seems annoying to all. Thanks!
splintersam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
ggieseke

Check your PMs.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote