TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #2971
johnjay829

anyone having trouble pushing to tivo i have a tivoHD. using the lastest wmcbrine release. i haven't changed anything and now cannot push videos.. reinstalled pytivo and no change.
johnjay829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #2972
jbernardis

Apparently if you are running ffmpeg on multiple computers, it's important to keep them somewhat in sync, especially if you decode on one machine and encode on the other.

I run pytivo on my NAS, which is debian linux based. However, I was ripping some DVDs and transcoding them to MP4 on my PC - which is windows 7 based. I tried pulling one of the movies to the tivo using the nas-based pytivo, and it was a mess. The movie was watchable, but there were frequent video and audio glitches. I was able to push the MP4 to the tivo successfully, and I was able to successfully watch the mp4 file on both my PC and streaming to my PS3. That pointed my sights directly at my NAS.

The version of ffmpeg I use on my PC is relatively recent - it showed as having been built January 10, 2011. On my NAS, I built ffmpeg myself from source back in september of last year. The version numbers weren't even close to one another, but I didn't think 3 or 4 months of time shouldn't make that much of a difference. So I downloaded the latest tar file to my NAS, unpacked it, and built it. The version numbers are still different, although a lot closer than they were, but now the pulled video plays fine.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #2973
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Apparently if you are running ffmpeg on multiple computers, it's important to keep them somewhat in sync, especially if you decode on one machine and encode on the other.

I run pytivo on my NAS, which is debian linux based. However, I was ripping some DVDs and transcoding them to MP4 on my PC - which is windows 7 based. I tried pulling one of the movies to the tivo using the nas-based pytivo, and it was a mess. The movie was watchable, but there were frequent video and audio glitches. I was able to push the MP4 to the tivo successfully, and I was able to successfully watch the mp4 file on both my PC and streaming to my PS3. That pointed my sights directly at my NAS.

The version of ffmpeg I use on my PC is relatively recent - it showed as having been built January 10, 2011. On my NAS, I built ffmpeg myself from source back in september of last year. The version numbers weren't even close to one another, but I didn't think 3 or 4 months of time shouldn't make that much of a difference. So I downloaded the latest tar file to my NAS, unpacked it, and built it. The version numbers are still different, although a lot closer than they were, but now the pulled video plays fine.
Its not an incompatibility between ffmpeg versions. True your old version did not transcode well for your tivo and needed updating but the reason the files PUSHED from the pc to the tivo worked differently is that they were not transcoded at all. The files PULLED from your NAS were transcoded to mpeg2 video when transferred, a much inferior solution. PUSHING allows transfer of unaltured mp4 files containing h264 video and ac3 audio. Pulling does not allow this, mpeg2 only.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #2974
jbernardis

Yeah - I realize that there is no transcoding when pushing - that's how I was able to narrow my focus to ffmpeg on the NAS. It verified to me that the mp4 file, and therefore the original transcoding on the PC, worked fine. The only variable left was the transcoding on the NAS.

I agree that pushing is a superior technique. Sometimes, though, it's a lot easier, when sitting in the family room with a tivo remote in my hand, to pull a video rather than fire up the PC, browse to the pytivo HTTP server, and request a push. Too bad the pull request doesn't result in a push.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #2975
jcthorne

No worries, glad you got it figured out and your NAS is working well for you.

I too wish a native mp4 transfer could be initiated from the tivo menu. Streambaby is capable of this but adds yet one more item in the mix that I do not want to burden the family with. Pytivo's menu item is already there and works, just slow due to transcoding.

Not a big deal for us as 99.99% of what we watch is already loaded on the tivo, vary rarely does anyone call for video from the server.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #2976
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
I agree that pushing is a superior technique. Sometimes, though, it's a lot easier, when sitting in the family room with a tivo remote in my hand, to pull a video rather than fire up the PC, browse to the pytivo HTTP server, and request a push. Too bad the pull request doesn't result in a push.
Check out Streambaby's "Push" option: http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/...hConfiguration

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #2977
jbernardis

alas - java is not installed on my NAS, and I am reluctant to install it. I am uneasy doing any installations that do not use the apt-get mechanism, and the apt-get search (actually apt-cache) is unclear about the content of the java packages it has available. There is something called java-common, but I don't know if that's just a JVM, or a development package, or what, and I don't know what version it is.

I guess I could try running streambaby on my PC, but the whole objective behind porting to the NAS was to not need the PC turned on 24/7. If only streambaby (and harmonium for that matter) were written in python or perl.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #2978
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Well, I'm thinking that if an HME app like Streambaby has the ability to push from the TiVo UI, another one could be crafted to do the same. I have zero experience with HME coding, but McBrine's python port of the SDK may help in that respect.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #2979
caddyroger

What is the latest version ffmpeg and where can I down load it from? I have ffmpeg svn r21659 rdian06 1.02v installed now
Old 03-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #2980
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

http://ffmpeg.org/
"The last revision committed to SVN was r26402 on 2011-01-19"

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #2981
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
http://ffmpeg.org/
"The last revision committed to SVN was r26402 on 2011-01-19"
This is the last SVN version. They introduced a GIT repository and are probably a couple hundred revisions past this one.

Unless the user is familiar with compiling their own FFmpeg executable and has a specific issue with Rdian06's versions I recommend sticking with the latest versions he has posted on the pyTivo forum.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #2982
jbernardis

Quote:
Well, I'm thinking that if an HME app like Streambaby has the ability to push from the TiVo UI, another one could be crafted to do the same. I have zero experience with HME coding, but McBrine's python port of the SDK may help in that respect.
Yeah - I downloaded the code so I could study it, but it's low on the priority list.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #2983
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
This is the last SVN version. They introduced a GIT repository and are probably a couple hundred revisions past this one.

Unless the user is familiar with compiling their own FFmpeg executable and has a specific issue with Rdian06's versions I recommend sticking with the latest versions he has posted on the pyTivo forum.
No I am familiar with compiling can not even start to. I am not having problems just wanted the latest version. I'll be sticking to the svn version for now
Old 03-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #2984
jackny

New to pytivo......everything works great except have been unable to transfer .avi files from my PC to my series 2 tivos......is there a quick fix I that I can add the the config file....thanks for any help
jackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #2985
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackny View Post
New to pytivo......everything works great except have been unable to transfer .avi files from my PC to my series 2 tivos
That's not enough info to diagnose your problem.

Does that mean it does work with your Series 3/4 TiVos? Or just that you only have Series 2?

What happens when you try? Or do they not even show up in the listing?

What exactly does work? .MPG files?

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #2986
jackny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
That's not enough info to diagnose your problem.

Does that mean it does work with your Series 3/4 TiVos? Or just that you only have Series 2?

What happens when you try? Or do they not even show up in the listing?

What exactly does work? .MPG files?
Pytivo is installed on two(2) Windows XP PCs'; have two(2) Tivo machines (1 Series-2 Dual Tuner and a Series-2 single tuner). All files show-up in the NPL of both machines and all files with extensions .mkv, .mpg, .divx, .flv,
.m4v, .mov, .wmv, and .tivo transfer without problems to both tivo machines.
All of the .avi files showup in the NPLs but only 2 out of 10 on the computers do transfer sucessly; the non-transferring .avi files appear to not start the transfer at all.....
jackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #2987
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
What is the latest version ffmpeg and where can I down load it from? I have ffmpeg svn r21659 rdian06 1.02v installed now
Same question for ffmpegx and associated files. I updated the ffmpegx app, but the mencoder etc. files are all really old. I did some searching and it seems they have not been updated recently. Is that right?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #2988
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
Same question for ffmpegx and associated files. I updated the ffmpegx app, but the mencoder etc. files are all really old. I did some searching and it seems they have not been updated recently. Is that right?
If you are on OS X you can install MacPorts and then use the Terminal app to install FFmpeg-devel which is the easiest way you will get something relatively new on OS X without manual compilation.

Terminal commands to install ffmpeg-devel after you download Macports.

1. sudo port selfupdate
2. sudo port install ffmpeg-devel

You then have to point your pyTivo.conf file to the correct location of your new ffmpeg which will be "/opt/local/bin/ffmpeg"
Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #2989
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
See this post. I had a .flv file that would not transfer correctly using the rdian build and the latest archived version of ffmpeg (see linked post) solved the problem.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #2990
rrr22777

Does pyTivo or another plugin for it provide ability to view photos in HD? Having migrated pyTivo and streambaby to my linux computer Tivo Desktop is still running on Windows for the HD Photos. Would like to replace it.

EDIT: I see the answer in http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...29#post7346929. Any tips on "You can run TiVo's "HD Photos" HME app with pyTivo as the backend instead of TiVo Desktop" much appreciated.

Last edited by rrr22777 : 03-26-2011 at 07:27 PM.
rrr22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #2991
sirfergy

Where can I delete the pytivo queue cache? It seems to always hang trying to transfer a video and restarting both the service and my TiVos doesn't stop it from trying to re-run the transfer again.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #2992
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfergy View Post
Where can I delete the pytivo queue cache? It seems to always hang trying to transfer a video and restarting both the service and my TiVos doesn't stop it from trying to re-run the transfer again.
Not really possible via pyTivo. The request sent by pyTivo to the TiVo servers have already been accepted. That's why cycling the pyTivo service had no effect.

However, all is not lost! You can rename the file that gets stuck, so when the TiVo Servers attempt to send the file, it can't be found, and the request will eventually time-out.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #2993
sirfergy

Yeah, I was about to post back saying I realized that! Now I just need to figure out why the file just hangs when trying to stream.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #2994
jcncamsdad

I have been unable to upload movies

I have a S2 and S3 and I have not been able to load movies. I have change the FFMpeg file and now I am using the latest version. Here is a copy of my Console Log:

INFO:pyTivo:pyTivo is ready.
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:58:45] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Formats&SourceFormat=video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:58:48] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=The%20Movie%20House&SortOrder=!CaptureDa te&ItemCount=1&Ancho
rItem=%2FThe%2520Movie%2520House%2FThe.Princess.and.the.Frog .2009.DVDrip.XviD.av
i&AnchorOffset=-1&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolde
r,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:58:48] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=TVBus
Query&Container=The%20Movie%20House&File=%2FThe.Princess.and .the.Frog.2009.DVDri
p.XviD.avi HTTP/1.1" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:58:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:58:52] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Item&Url=http%3A%2F%2Fa%2Fb%3FContainer%3D%2FNowPlaying%26id %3D%2FThe%2520Movie%
2520House%2FThe.Princess.and.the.Frog.2009.DVDrip.XviD.avi HTTP/1.1" 404 -
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:58:56] "GET /The%20Movie%20House/The.P
rincess.and.the.Frog.2009.DVDrip.XviD.avi HTTP/1.1" 206 -
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[29/Mar/2011 09:58:56] Start sending "O:\The Movie House
\The.Princess.and.the.Frog.2009.DVDrip.XviD.avi" to Mac Daddy
FFmpeg version git-N-28671-gf8b0cd8-Sherpya, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg
developers
built on Mar 27 2011 07:24:33 with gcc 4.2.5 20090330 (prerelease) [Sherpya]
libavutil 50. 40. 0 / 50. 40. 0
libavcodec 52.115. 0 / 52.115. 0
libavformat 52.103. 0 / 52.103. 0
libavdevice 52. 3. 0 / 52. 3. 0
libavfilter 1. 76. 0 / 1. 76. 0
libswscale 0. 13. 0 / 0. 13. 0
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
Input #0, avi, from 'O:\The Movie House\The.Princess.and.the.Frog.2009.DVDrip.Xv
iD.avi':
Duration: 01:37:29.67, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2065 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 720x400 [PAR 1:1 DAR 9:5], 23.98 tbr, 23
.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 448 kb/s
Option 'padtop' has been removed, use the pad filter instead
F:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe: failed to set value '2' for option 'padtop'
INFO:pyTivo.video.video:[29/Mar/2011 09:58:57] Done sending "O:\The Movie House\
The.Princess.and.the.Frog.2009.DVDrip.XviD.avi" to Mac Daddy, 0 bytes, 0.00 Mb/s

INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:59:10] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
INFO:pyTivo:192.168.1.222 [29/Mar/2011 09:59:10] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=Query
Container&Container=The%20Movie%20House&SortOrder=!CaptureDa te&ItemCount=8&Ancho
rItem=%2FThe%2520Movie%2520House%2FThe.Princess.and.the.Frog .2009.DVDrip.XviD.av
i&AnchorOffset=-8&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolde
r,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F* HTTP/1.1" 200 -

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
jcncamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #2995
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Option 'padtop' has been removed, use the pad filter instead
F:\pyTivo\bin\ffmpeg.exe: failed to set value '2' for option 'padtop'
The above seems to indicate an "options" change with ffmpeg.

Either your ffmpeg will need to change back to a release that supports 'padtop', or pyTivo will need to be updated to use the new ffmpeg options. I imagine the latter taking much more time to do, considering the logic it would take to determine which version of ffmpeg is in use.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #2996
Iluvatar

Quote:
The above seems to indicate an "options" change with ffmpeg.

Either your ffmpeg will need to change back to a release that supports 'padtop', or pyTivo will need to be updated to use the new ffmpeg options. I imagine the latter taking much more time to do, considering the logic it would take to determine which version of ffmpeg is in use.
Yea this is documented on pyTivo's forum last year. No fix was worked up but it seems to only affect Series 2 models which require the video to be padded to maintain aspect ratio.

Unless you can hack up pyTivo to change the commands I would recommend staying with an FFmpeg SVN older than 23054

Last edited by Iluvatar : 03-29-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #2997
jcncamsdad

@Orangeboy
@Iluvatar

Thanks for your quick response/fix!
jcncamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #2998
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I installed and had pyTivo running for months on end with no problems. Well tonight I went into my list and no longer see the WHS icon. Both my TivoHD's don't see it they BOTH however see the HP WHS EX495 Server which is where my WHS pytivo videos are housed.

So I don't think it is a connection (wifi) issue since I can see and access the EX495.

I tried rebooting the TIVO. No luck.

I tried logging into the EX495 and stopping/starting the Pytivo service. No luck.

I tried resetting my router. No luck.

Here is what the pytivo Console states:
Here is the pytivo console dump.

Checking to see if pyTivo is already running . . .

Starting pyTivo Server. Use ctrl+Break to exit.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 3, in <module>
import logging
File "C:\Python26\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
import threading
File "C:\Python26\lib\threading.py", line 16, in <module>
from collections import deque
ValueError: bad marshal data

pyTivo Server is Stopped.

Press any key to continue . . .

The only thing I can think of that caused this was the night before we had several power dips in my house but this seems to be the only thing effected.

Thoughts?
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #2999
Iluvatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I installed and had pyTivo running for months on end with no problems. Well tonight I went into my list and no longer see the WHS icon. Both my TivoHD's don't see it they BOTH however see the HP WHS EX495 Server which is where my WHS pytivo videos are housed.

So I don't think it is a connection (wifi) issue since I can see and access the EX495.

I tried rebooting the TIVO. No luck.

I tried logging into the EX495 and stopping/starting the Pytivo service. No luck.

I tried resetting my router. No luck.

Here is what the pytivo Console states:
Here is the pytivo console dump.

Checking to see if pyTivo is already running . . .

Starting pyTivo Server. Use ctrl+Break to exit.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 3, in <module>
import logging
File "C:\Python26\lib\logging\__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
import threading
File "C:\Python26\lib\threading.py", line 16, in <module>
from collections import deque
ValueError: bad marshal data

pyTivo Server is Stopped.

Press any key to continue . . .

The only thing I can think of that caused this was the night before we had several power dips in my house but this seems to be the only thing effected.

Thoughts?

Go to the Python directory and find the files stated in your console and delete the .pyc files for the 2 listed files (threading and __init__). Then restart pyTivo. It has something to do with a faulty cache compile when creating the .pyc files.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #3000
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
Go to the Python directory and find the files stated in your console and delete the .pyc files for the 2 listed files (threading and __init__). Then restart pyTivo. It has something to do with a faulty cache compile when creating the .pyc files.
Thanks. Will try this tonight and report back.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote