TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #1981
mrfixit454

Risky.. sure.....a risk I am willing to take. There are companies that can fix these. The unit you describe does not have the DVD burner. I like the simple interface without using tivo desktop and other software. Why Tivo has dropped this I don't know.... maybe HD. My 5 year old unit has been rock solid. I bought it refurbished then and besides a new hard drive after 4 years, there have been no issues. Not even rebooting issues like my Directv Tivo units.

I recently hooked the Toshiba and Humax together with a crossover cable. I have never seen or used the MRV before so I am testing it out in the bedroom. Once I mess with it for a while, I will throw them on the network, move one to the living room and check them out with Tivo desktop.

Fixit
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Tivo Premiere+ - Lifetime
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 AM   #1982
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
Risky.. sure.....a risk I am willing to take. There are companies that can fix these. The unit you describe does not have the DVD burner. I like the simple interface without using tivo desktop and other software. Why Tivo has dropped this I don't know.... maybe HD. My 5 year old unit has been rock solid. I bought it refurbished then and besides a new hard drive after 4 years, there have been no issues. Not even rebooting issues like my Directv Tivo units.

I recently hooked the Toshiba and Humax together with a crossover cable. I have never seen or used the MRV before so I am testing it out in the bedroom. Once I mess with it for a while, I will throw them on the network, move one to the living room and check them out with Tivo desktop.

Fixit
Can you record shows to dvd that have been transferred from another Tivo? I think I read that you can't do that. You might want to test that out.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #1983
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Can you record shows to dvd that have been transferred from another Tivo? I think I read that you can't do that. You might want to test that out.
Nope, you can't burn transferred programs.

I agree with mrfixit454. These are uniquely great TiVos. I find being able to share by burning a DVD the ultimate in convenience. Kids DVDs for the car.

Wish the DRM lobby would loosen up so I could buy a HD unit with BlueRay burner. Till then, I'm keeping my SD TiVos and CRTs....
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #1984
slyone

I've got an rs-tx20 which still works good....I probably should do a hdd backup/replacement...shouldn't I ?
I remember doing 1 of my S3hd's when I 1st got it, Thanks to the folks around here! The hdd a 20g Pata probably? Any preferences and/or limits....suggestions? Thanks!
a bunch of S2ST's retired
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #1985
mrfixit454

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone View Post
I've got an rs-tx20 which still works good....I probably should do a hdd backup/replacement...shouldn't I ?
I remember doing 1 of my S3hd's when I 1st got it, Thanks to the folks around here! The hdd a 20g Pata probably? Any preferences and/or limits....suggestions? Thanks!
If the drive is 4 years or so old.. yes. I have had success with SATA drives and the PATA (IDE) Backplane adapter in my HR10-250. I used the MFSLive Boot CD method. My Brother-in-law used the WIN MFS version. I used a Western Digital 1 Terabyte drive. Will be putting a similar 1T in my Humax DVD unit when I move it to the living room.
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #1986
slyone

what are the best choices when upgrading internal drive?
a bunch of S2ST's retired
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 AM   #1987
robos965

I'm looking for a TOSHIBA RS-TX60 image, if anyone can help thanks in advance
robos965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #1988
unclepoo

Smile RS-TX-- and Satellite What are your experiences?

I have classic cable feeding 4 TV's, Our cable company is slowly removing All Analog channels
They should be done providing any analog cable channels by the end of this year (2011)
We already have had to get miniboxes in order to get channels we already pay for.
For the price we pay for classic cable we could order Satellite (Dish or Direct) get a larger and better selection of channels,
and music, PLUS an Interactive TV guide. Digital cable with the minibox does not provide
an interactive guide, and your channels are limited to classic, if you want an interactive guide, and or
more channels, you are renting a new Cable box @ $15 a month.

We have 1 RS-TX60 and 2 RS-TX20 (s) which while hooked up to cable
do provide a 3 day interactive guide with no fee's and of course the abililty to record, and pause live tv, etc.
with Tivo Basic.

Does anyone have Dish Network, or Direct TV with the RS-TX20 or RS-TX60 ?
what are your experiences?
if you purchase the local channels through Dish or Direct does it show on the Dish or Direct guide?
does it show on the Tivo guide?

@ this point I am open to any suggestions, I also noticed for a 4 TV Set with Dish would take only 2 receivers
and I found out that they do have an TV2toIR converter, which means theoretically the multiple Tivo's would be able
to change the channels of either TV1 or TV2

Please anyone with experience with The RS-TX20 or RS-TX60 and Satellite (Dish or Direct)
please respond with your experiences and suggestions.
Thanks in advance
unclepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #1989
mrfixit454

I have TX-120 and Directv. I use a Sony SAT-A55 wit the Tivo serial cable to change the channels (no IR) The guide that it uses for directTV or any other input source is "TV Guide" or Tivo guide as you call it. I have had no issues with the Toshiba and Directv.. going on about 5 years with this setup.

Fixit
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #1990
shwru980r

With satellite, you won't be able to change channels while the Tivo is recording unless you rent a second tuner. With cable you can get the free DTA boxes for channel surfing while the tivo uses the cable box.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #1991
unclepoo

Thanks Mr. Fixit for your reply, I am glad to hear it's working well, I was actually leaning towards Dish, However I did look, and what Direct
offers on it's "Choice" package closely matches what we get from our classic cable package, plus of course many other channels plus music channels that we don't get from our classic cable package. Is it true that Direct no longer charges for locals? at this point my main problem with Direct is the $6 dollar rental of each reciever after the first one, this add's $18 to my monthly bill in addition to my package. I still think it's a better value
however at least if I have to go to a box whether with Dish or Direct, I get more channels, and an Interactive guide, For the same or more money I get fewer channels from cable, and no interactive guide on these miniboxes, I have to pay $15 a month extra per cable box if I want more channels, and or the interactive guide. as For DVR fee's I own multiple no fee Tivo Basic units.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #1992
unclepoo

Thank you shwru980r, Yes, I know I can't change the channel while recording, or watch one while recording another, I do this infrequently, but I do it, and switching to satellite would not give me this option, unless I rent another box, however the bulk of my TV watching is through the single tuner tivo basic with no fee's, I can watch either live tv, or a recorded show, The DTA's are only temporarily free, they will charge for them a small fee, however for the price I am paying for classic cable I can get many more channels that I would like, plus an interactive guide whether hooked up to my Tivo or not providing I switch to either Dish or Direct, being that this is the case, I am betting that many who would have stayed away from Satellite TV will now consider it for the first time just as I am.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #1993
junkydave

Rs-tx20

I have a unit and need tecnical support. The unit shut down and I will get start up screen but, after a minute or so I get blue/gray screen. I have disconnected everything, tried numerous restarts and have determined taht either the hard drive and/or power supply is bad. Can someone guide me in deteriming which one and are parts readally available? The lights on front stay lit, the fan runs, but, no other real signs of life except that the heatsinks do get warm. It had a dvd stuck in it and I removed the face and hit eject on drive and it spit out dvd so, it at least has power for that. I read alittle on the hard drives and the only number that pops up is Seagate DB35. Is this a suitable drive? Is there one better and are the upgarded versions available?
junkydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #1994
unclepoo

Smile diagnosis link, and further info and recommendations

[quote=junkydave;8469121]Can someone guide me in deteriming which one and are parts readally available? The lights on front stay lit, the fan runs,

Dave, based on what you wrote, I am (Only Guessing) that it's the hard drive
as you have said, it had a DVD stuck in it, but pressing the eject released it.
you have a couple of options.
Weaknees has a troubleshooting part on their site that you can read your symptoms, and determine which is most likely
http://www.weaknees.com/repair.php

they also offer Flat-fee repair service for $149
http://www.weaknees.com/flat-fee-tivo-repair.php

now if it turns out that the problem is something other than the hard drive
this would be your best bet. If however it is the hard drive, you could get a better deal elsewhere on an upgrade kit with the software already loaded.

I gambled that it was my hard drive and I got a better deal on an upgrade kit
at DVRstore.com http://dvrstore.com/default.php (I am very happy with my upgrade from the 160gb to a 500gb hard drive, and I have had no problems.

now through weaknees and dvrstore.com you can purchase a drive to replace yours with the software already loaded on it, otherwise you have to have an image of the software and load it on the drive itself, now unless you already have an image you will have to get one, if your hard drive is damaged that rules out it as a source of the image as it's probably corrupted.

you don't necessarily need this exact drive, however if you want it yes just type in db35 at google, and click the shopping button, and you will see multiple places for you to purchase this drive.

now for your tivo software needed, there are two sources I know about
MFSlive http://www.mfslive.org/tivofaq.htm
or Instantcake http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm
in my case I decided on gambling on the hard drive being the problem, and instead of selecting a drive, and trying to use instantcake, I decided to buy a drive from DVRstore.com with the software already loaded on it, I am happy I did and I had no problems at all.

Good luck
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #1995
unclepoo

Smile Help with Diagnosis

junkydave]I have a unit and need tecnical support. The unit shut down and I will get start up screen but, after a minute or so I get blue/gray screen.

Dave my first reply is correct with the exception of my guess on the hard drive (oops)
having went to the weaknees diagnosis link I posted, and using the info from your post on the blue/gray screen, it appears the most likely culprit is either a bad power supply, or a defect in a chip on the motherboard.

here's the diagnosis link
http://www.weaknees.com/repair.php

they will also help you with the diagnosis personally via email
http://www.weaknees.com/repair-contact.php
this is my recommendation, contact them with the above link for help with the diagnosis

power supplys could be had here
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

and flat fee repair here
http://www.weaknees.com/flat-fee-tivo-repair.php

Good luck
Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #1996
Dimitri

Hi,
I have been looking at a Toshiba RS-TX60, is it possible to change out the old DVD-R drive to a Dual Format one?(one that does both +R and -R) You would think that since the software is being updated by them when you call in that they would update with support for newer tech. A bit leery of any Tivo stuff after what a DRT-400 did tho.

I had gotten a DRT-400 which did work till it phoned in(I did not know beforehand that these things took control over you instead of a normal thing you buy and YOU decide what you want it to do and not without being forced into it, pissed me off badly, made me NOT want to pay for something I am about being held hostage and forced to do(The Tivo Service) just to get something I bought back to the way it was working when I got it, does not seem right that something can force a change on my stuff) I used it just a couple of times(the DRT-400) and it was fully working(till it phoned in). Anyway, I am going to get rid of that, I had picked up an old ReplayTV Showstopper that did not work right for real cheap and got it working very easily with a larger drive(did not have to do any weird stuff I hear people having to do on Tivo), but it does not have a burner inside like the DRT-400, it is a pain to have to burn a dvd to another unit in real time. been looking at an RS-TX60 but it only supports DVD-r.
This all would have been so simple(and how I logically thought I should be able to do) if the dang Tivo just kept doing what it did when I got it.
Can't afford high dollar stuff and most of what I have I have got because It was cheap cuz it needed fixing... Need to sell off this ReplayTV(works perfectly now) if I am to get something else.
It is so simple in my head... But others seem to make it hard on me.

Or what other unit is there that is a HDD/DVD recorder with maybe the TV Guide service for free that can be gotten reasonably?
Thanks!
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #1997
Dimitri

Geez,
Everything just keeps going this way, It never fails I have perfect WRONG timing! Almost every single time there has been something I like, or decided I want, finally said "thats the one!" or "thats the way", or had gone to work at a job that was fine how it was, next month or the next day someone decides to change it.... how can everything almost always go so perfectly wrong? It is friggin ironic! I have been tired of getting the rug pulled out from under me for way too long now, been doing this to me for decades.

NOW they are going to stop the Replay Guide Service! That is what I was worried about Tivo doing the minute I get one, So I decided on the Replay, So again the evil demon that likes to screw people said hey look, he decided on that, well we gotta screw that up for him now.

I think I just need to make everything myself(I wish I had the resouces) and have it have NOTHING to do with anybody elses ANYTHING and only then will nobody have the control to change what I thought was just fine. But probably the minute I was able to do that somebody would find some way to screw up my situation... Communists would take over or Aliens(Ha?) would come and...

But anyway, I don't have my own big company and $$$ to do so, so...

I want a unit that does not use Tivo or Replay or whatever, one that just uses the good old free TV Guide online. But I am almost sure that if I get one of those that TV Guide will cease to exist or something with my dang friggin, annoying, aggrivating, depressing, outside influences will not let hardly anything go right, BAD LUCK! A meteor will hit the headquarters and they will give it up or somebody will buy em out just to shut it down or something. Things just keep on reaffirming yet again and again. I don't know why I do anything at all anymore, cuz it will just go nowhere cuz someone else is going to screw it up for me... Fricken Frack and every cuss word and I just want to throw all these units out the door.

Tired and fed up with it all and at a loss...

I think this already IS Hell, we gotta be good enuff Here that our spirits, our electrical soul charge will not be attracted to this place when we die and we can leave(break free) and join the others.

Good luck to all good, and hope you make it.

:0)
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #1998
unclepoo

is it possible to change out the old DVD-R drive to a Dual Format one?
Hi Dimitri, I doubt it, it's probably set up in the software to only allow for the DVD-R
and if this is the case, then certainly when it phoned home for guide information it would most likely reset it, if any changes were made to it. If you already have such a drive it shouldn't hurt the unit to test it, so you could just pull the unit if it didn't. My RS TX 60 burns quickly with the tivo menu and is very nice and luckily it does burn on the most compatible DVD-R format so you could throw the dvd-r into practically anything and it would play, however if you have a bunch of DVD+R blanks you are most likely out of luck.
If you already do have such a drive to test, please post the results as I am sure more will want to know
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #1999
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Dimitri,

The DVD writer in the Toshiba and Humax units are capable of writing to DVD-R and DVD+R media right out of the box. However, the software is not capable of doing that. This is TiVo's decision. It's their software, so they can do what they want.

Also, you can try putting in a DVD writer that can do Dual Layer, but again, the software will not recognize the Dual Layer media. So it won't burn to it either.

Sorry for the bad news, but that's the way it is until TiVo decides to change it. (Which is highly unlikely.)

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #2000
Dimitri

Hiya Robo and Uncle,
Thanks for answering, thought I was going to get no reply.
Who is/are the idiot(s) at Tivo that is in control of the software? Geez, the thing COULD do stuff but they don't let it, like another nah nah nah nah, I got control and I am not going to let you do that even tho it could, HaHaHa....

I wish I could make my own company that does everything I need LOL. Make my own parts for my car how I want and other people would want, make my own DVRs n all, then I would not get hit by someone elses gotchas and control deals.

Thanks again, I feel like I have just been beaten, literally and figuratively, and thrown into a hole with no way out. (from the past Tivo and Replay experiences and all I am trying to seemingly simply do, that just seems to have no logical answer or way cuz of others stipulations or deciding to can(trash, cease, discontinue, change, etc) something just when I decide that is what I want) Tired of fighting a losing battle.

Don't worry, Be Happy...

Peace.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #2001
Dimitri

Hiyas,
Please tell me there is a way to make a Toshiba SD-H400 record DVD's.....
I picked one up and now I see in the manual it says DVD player....
I have been asking and trying to find the next best answer to the Humax DRT400 and I did not seem to get a good answer on that one and asked another person that had said before they had units for sale what they could hook me up with and I got no reply to that, so I got this, I did not think there were any with a DVD in it that did not record!
I have not hooked it up yet, it just came today, already have to send back the Magnavox DVD recorder I got so I need something to record DVD's on.

I had stated before I just need something that will basically do what the Tivo was before, If this does not record DVD's now I am going to be extremey pissed for the 3rd time over this, the Magnavox thing is yet another on top of that, it arrived damaged by UPS and they are supposed to pick it up, I pieced it together and made display contacts touch enough to use it for a while actually(face was busted clean off by side impact of what looked like it was dropped off the height of the dock and it busted loose 3 contacts on the display, imprint in the inside of the box thru popped bubble wrap).

Just had with about everything jacking me and screwing me and going wrong anymore.

Dang ReplayTV I get and then they decide to quit, perfect wrong everything.

This is just this segment of the nightmare of how it all has been going and I am tired.

Now what the heck am I going to do with the ReplayTV thing and yet another Tivo that is not going to do what I want?

I can't afford this crap happening.
Barf....

Someone trade me Tivo that is what I am looking forin exchange for an SD-H400 with Lifetime Basic and a working DRT-400? (needs sub).
would have to work out value.

Any mod for SD-H400 to put in recorder?
At wits end... yet again(with a half-hearted lol).
CYas
Mr. no luck but bad.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #2002
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Dimitri,

Prepare to be extremely pissed. You have found the one and only TiVo/DVD combo that does not burn DVDs. In addition, it uses a proprietary DVD player which cannot be replaced by standard DVD burners. In other words, it will never ever ever burn a DVD.

Just FYI, here is a list of all TiVo/DVD combos devices in approximate order of release:

Toshiba SD-H400 -- TiVo and DVD player, 80 GB drive, TiVo Basic
Pioneer DVR-810H-S -- TiVo and DVD burner, 80 GB drive, TiVo Basic
Pioneer DVR-57H -- TiVo and DVD burner, 120 GB drive, TiVo Basic
Toshiba RS-TX20 -- TiVo and DVD burner, 120 GB drive, TiVo Basic
Toshiba RS-TX60 -- TiVo and DVD burner, 160 GB drive, TiVo Basic
Humax DRT-400 -- TiVo and DVD burner, 40 GB drive, requires subscription
Humax DRT-800 -- TiVo and DVD burner, 80 GB drive, requires subscription

That's it. They are all considered TiVo Series 2 models, so they only have one NTSC tuner and only record Standard Definition (SD) TV signals. TiVo Basic gives you a three day guide so you can record without a paid subscription, but you can't create Season Passes or Wishlists.

I would recommend the Toshiba RS-TX20 or RS-TX60. They have TiVo Basic and have DVD writers that are easier to replace. The Pioneers are extremely picky on what DVD writer they contain, but they have the best picture quality, IMHO.

Hope that helps you decide,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #2003
Dimitri

Thanks Robo,

That is always my luck... I end up accidently picking the only one that does not have a burner... the odds of all going how wrong it goes seems less than the chances of winning the lottery, things happen that are nearly impossible when it is going to cause me a problem but not when it may do good... Just friggin crazy, a computer taking in this data would trip and pop a cap saying this is just not possible, the odds do not compute. LOL. Grr...

I wish I would have had the info before.
I wish I had never seen that Dang Tivo, It started all this, I was just gathering data for putting together a small media computer to do my recording stuff with when we picked up the Tivo, they said it recorded etc, I knew nothing really about them before, don't even remember anyone else I knew ever having one. I said cool, this could be better in the fact that it will probably use less power(trying to cut costs), and I won't have to figure out a software solution.
If I put the money I spent on these things to the computer instead, I would have been done with it way before now and been much happier, now I am outta funds to spend on this and nowhere with it all.
Been taking care of GrandPa who has recently gone about senile, thinks he is on the ship in the Navy again sometimes etc. He was a SeaBee(in C.B.) during WW2! And I musta got distracted cuz he has been asking me things often that often don't make sense, I was totally checking specs and narrowed down ones I was looking at, I don't know how this one even got in my sights.
Need to try to get my money back on these, unfortunately I am going to lose on shipping I spent.
Ach du lieber Himmel!
Take care and Thanks again RoboMeister!

Duh Mee Tree
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #2004
Chaufa

Help replacing the Hard Drive Please...

Hello:
I need help replacing the hard drive of my RS-TX20 (my hard drive started clicking last week). I already bought a new PATA drive with 320 GB and I download an image for the RS-TX20 that somebody posted in another thread.

Now what?... I read about the "boot disc" before installing the image from MFSLive. But I don't understand... I am a little ignorant in the topic. I know that I could get a hard drive with the driver installed but it was too expensive for me.

Can somebody explained to me step by step what do I need to do with the new Hard Drive?...

thank you in advance.

Chaufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #2005
Dimitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaufa View Post
Hello:
I need help replacing the hard drive of my RS-TX20, Can somebody explained to me step by step what do I need to do with the new Hard Drive?...

thank you in advance.

Hi,
Try this link, seems to have instruction for all of them, step by step with option branching.
Have only redone a ReplayTv drive a few times which they made so easy, have not tried Tivo which seems like they tried to keep it nerdy, I was able to do my Replay drive right in XP without need for Fat partition to work with.
------------------------
-
To others out here, can't you just use a good drive imaging program to image/clone over to another drive? might need Sector by Sector copy, possibly use Acronis or Easeus? Seems like logically you should be able to unless they have done something on purpose just to make it difficult, these things seem like they could have made em a little more friendly.
-
-
Linux is an odd operating system to me, I have been triple booting my laptop for well over a year with XP Pro, Win 7 Pro, and Linux Mint and I have to say the command names and things you have to go thru just to do things in Linux is weird, I grew up using computers Before there was any Windows, used Dos proficiently and even modified the Command Proccessor, (You had to Low-Level format the MFM or RLL drive to the specific controller back then), the commands made more sense,
Linux has odd names for stuff... Like Grep(sounds like a disabled person), TOUCHing a file or whatever(sounds quaint, does it like it?), BASH, what I wanted to do to the Tivo that would not cooperate and to people who just have to make things a pain or mess with others. RSYNC(Retired members of the band NSYNC?), SSH(Be quiet), TAR(Don't step in that!), AWK(what you say after you stepped in the TAR), APT-GET(when you need a place to live but ca't afford a house), CHOWN(I was really CHOWN down on that Stew), EGREP(an Email from a disabled person), GAWK(Stop looking at me th way!), HASH(good with eggs, just don't get the illegal kind(yes I know what a HASH is.)), and on... LOL.
Peace
Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #2006
unclepoo

Smile I recommend one of the Toshiba RS-TX series tivo's

I ditto robomeister's suggestion, that you get one of the
Toshiba RS-TX series tivo units
They do have the three day guide, of course no wishlist etc.. but if you are trying to stay away from monthly fees. I have both and they are great units
They also have the ability to control a box to change a channel for you
(cablebox, DishNetwork or DirectTV, and possibly a Digital converter box)
They do write DVD's nicely (DVD_R) and you get a tivo menu on the burnt DVD.
Theoretically (I haven't tried this, but imagine it would be possible)
they could control a digital tv converter box and if they have the guide available for digital broadcast you could use it, otherwise you could use one of the other guides available and remap a channel to the appropriate channel on the converter box.
Things do go bad, but the most common failure of these units is eventually you'll need to replace the hard drive. Weaknees and others do sell upgrade kits
If you don't need High Definition, you want to write DVD's (DVD_R) and have no monthly fee for your DVR one of the Toshiba RS-TX series tivo's is the way to go.
usually you can find it, just do an ebay search on RS-TX and include the description and you can find it.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #2007
Dimitri

Thanks Uncle, I was looking at those and an offering i saw from Panasonic of a DVD-R/DVR with a guide.

I don't know how I ended up getting what I did, been a lot of distractions, my GrandPa is with us now cuz he is getting too forgetful etc... I must have added it to watch when I meant not to and then when I got back into checking them, it was about up and I bid on it without really checking further, I WAS only watching things that had DVR with DVD recorder.

Want to trade one for a HUMAX DRT-400 & cash?
I may have eventually gotten a sub on the DRT had it kept going(If I only had NOT gotten into setup), once I could afford it if I liked it enuff.

Peace
Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #2008
Bimwad

[Tap][Tap]

This thing on?

Surprisingly, I was just able to revive my FrankenToshiba after it sat collecting dust for more than a couple years. After a power outage, it had stalled mid-boot with a clicking noise, seemingly indicating that the drive was toast.

Didn't particularly feel like messing around with old PATA drives, or fitting it into a then forced newly-digital cable setup, so I left it alone.

I finally got around to removing the drive, and after connecting it to a computer, saw that it still spun up and responded. With nothing to lose, i zeroed it out, restored the TiVo software, and it lives again. For how long, who knows, but it works.

The picture looks surprisingly decent on a large HDTV. I guess I'll keep it around as long as it still functions, but with modern networked media boxes, even DVRs seem passÚ.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #2009
JWGdesign
TiVo Addict

RS-TX20 Owner

Hello, all.

I'm new to the TiVo Community forums, though I have learned much from reading various posts over the last few years, ever since becoming interested in TiVo.

My latest TiVo acquisition is a Toshiba RS-TX20. I guess this qualifies me for the RS-TX Owners Club.

I got it used from eBay. It arrived in a "factory default" mode, so the previous owner must have done a Clear & Delete Everything before shipping it to me. Other units I've purchased used arrived ready to use, which let me test out the unit before committing to a Repeat Guided Setup operation.

Guided Setup got as far as getting program info, then got stuck "Preparing" for a long time. Numerous reboots did not help, nor did letting it stay at "Preparing" for 12+ hours. It would never progress any further. Various Kickstart Codes got the thing stuck in an endless GSOD-reboot loop.

Thanks to TahoeJoe, Kasmiur and windracer, I was able to download a backup image for my RS-TX20 and get the drive reformatted with an old PC I had kicking around. (I have been a Mac Addict for 20 years, so having access to a PC seems unlikely.) Once the re-imaged drive was returned to the Toshiba, everything has been working flawlessly. So, big thanks to TahoeJoe and Kasmiur for providing the backup image, and thanks to TiVo Community for providing the means to share experiences amongst fellow TiVo users.

One thing to note about the RS-TX20... the picture does not seem to be as sharp as the Pioneer 810. The Toshiba seems a little soft. The Pioneer did have weird flickering macro block artifacts though... mainly where graphics overlays abutted video, such as news broadcasts or football games. The Toshiba doesn't seem to have that problem at all.
JWGdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #2010
sledhed

Welcome! This thread does not see much activity. We love our TX20, expanded to a 320GB drive when the original died. Have a S2 dual tuner in the bedroom too, and do room to room transfers all the time. The TX20 guide and menu are pretty slow though compared to the S2 dual tuner. Wish we could do the same setup with hidef, but dish network and tivo only play well together in standard def... no cable here, only alternative is directv, and we are not willing to pay 3x the price for hidef and still lose our tivo (we are grandfathered in on the older dish family lineup, which gets us pretty much everything we want). Suppose we could try to talk dish into upgrading our receivers to a dual-tuner dvr hidef unit, but just have not done the research to determine if it would meet what we want to do (occasionally we also want to save programs to DVD or a video file of some sort which we transfer to PC for editing using TiVo desktop)...
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote