TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #7861
CharlieVA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 14
My series 3 Tivo hard drive died. I installed a new one. Everything seemed to go fine until Tivo couldn't communicate with Comcast. After over an hour, the phone tech gave up and said he'd call back.

I called Tivo who called Comcast. Comcast said I needed a technician to visit. Later another phone tech called and said things looked good to him and didn't know why I couldn't get up and running.

Wonder what the tech will find on his visit.
CharlieVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #7862
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVA View Post
My series 3 Tivo hard drive died. I installed a new one. Everything seemed to go fine until Tivo couldn't communicate with Comcast. After over an hour, the phone tech gave up and said he'd call back.

I called Tivo who called Comcast. Comcast said I needed a technician to visit. Later another phone tech called and said things looked good to him and didn't know why I couldn't get up and running.

Wonder what the tech will find on his visit.
Yoy might consider checking all of the connections and what the TiVo thinks is the status of the CableCARD(s). You might even want to open it back up to see if you knocked something loose inside when you installed the new Hard Drive.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #7863
shempferd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!. I hate comcast. After reading the posts about the price structures at comcast, I called them and removed hbo and ordered a digital adapter to replace a digital receiver with cc. That will save $15 for hbo and 6 (8-2) for the less expensive box. So whats the problem? My stinking series 3 isnt working again. They must have sent a signal or something and screwed up the pairing of my series 3 tivo hd cards. I had a dozen comcast techs try to fix this the last time. First they insist on a dual stream card. Then, of course, they only carry one single stream card in their truck. Sorry, you'll have to call the 800 number and set up another appointment. This went on for 2 weeks!! I was about to throw it all out when finally I got someone who knew what they were doing at the house AND someone who knew what they were doing on the phone. Tough combination to find it seems. So now Im at work and am looking forward to going through this all over again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this simpler? Im getting all channels on one card and just a few on the other.

Thanks
Shemp
Series 3
Series 2
shempferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #7864
Corran Horn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wood Dale, IL
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by shempferd View Post
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!. I hate comcast. After reading the posts about the price structures at comcast, I called them and removed hbo and ordered a digital adapter to replace a digital receiver with cc. That will save $15 for hbo and 6 (8-2) for the less expensive box. So whats the problem? My stinking series 3 isnt working again. They must have sent a signal or something and screwed up the pairing of my series 3 tivo hd cards. I had a dozen comcast techs try to fix this the last time. First they insist on a dual stream card. Then, of course, they only carry one single stream card in their truck. Sorry, you'll have to call the 800 number and set up another appointment. This went on for 2 weeks!! I was about to throw it all out when finally I got someone who knew what they were doing at the house AND someone who knew what they were doing on the phone. Tough combination to find it seems. So now Im at work and am looking forward to going through this all over again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this simpler? Im getting all channels on one card and just a few on the other.

Thanks
Shemp
Series 3
Series 2
This is exactly why I don't complain about what is probably a bogus $3.50/month charge for my two single-stream cable cards for my S3. I live in fear of them monkeying something up on their end and breaking what's working fine for me and having to spend a week working from home trying to get the magic that you speak of...a competent installer and competent phone tech.

It's a sad existence.
__________________
Samsung DirecTivo (RETIRED) & Phillips DSR7000 (RETIRED) & Tivo Premiere 4 & Tivo Mini
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #7865
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,285
The Series 3 box can use M-Cards, it just requires two of them.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #7866
flynz4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I agree. Those charges don't sound correct to me. Of course, what they tell you over the phone and what shows up on your bill can be completely different.

You should not be paying a cablecard charge on the first outlet. And the other cablecard charges sound a little steep to me. They sound like addtional outlet fees PLUS a cablecard charge.

I strongly recommend that you examine the rate card for your area. Stop by a local office and pick one up if you didn't receive one in the mail. I nearly always get a new rate card in December or January with my bill or a separate mailing.

Let us know what the rate card says.
Things turned out a bit better than I expected.

I ended up adding a single HD box to the family room... just so that we have the option of watching On-Demand. That one ended up being the "free" first connection.

For my 3 TiVO boxes, they charged me less than they quoted me on the phone. Instead of a "per TiVO" charge of $8.00 "digital outlet" plus $1.5 "Cable Card"... they only charged me a single $8.00 "digital outlet" fee, plus the $4.5 for the three CCs.

I think it ended up OK in the end, it is costing me $12.50 total to support all three TiVOs.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #7867
a68oliver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Castle, IN
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirt711 View Post
I have a TiVO series 3 HD box and 1 separate digital Comcast box.

In December of 2010 they changed it to 3 digital outlets at $8 each and a $1.5 "cable card device" fee. I just now caught that (my wife pays the bills..).

Am I right? If so, who do I contact besides the 1-800 number to get this fixed?
The way I read their rate sheet, one of the outlets for your DVRs is included in the primary digital service fee. The other one incurs an "additional digital outlet" fee which includes one cablecard. Since the S3 requires 2 cablecards, there should be one separate cablecard fee. This means you pay one additional outlet and 1 cablecard.

I got my similar billing problems fixed by contacting We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Good luck. This can be a difficult process. If you try walking into a local office to get this fixed, it is helpful to have http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...4-def06cced0db in your hands to show the office staff as well as any rate card you received in the mail.

I should warn you that nobody was able to figure out how to enter this into the billing computer to bill me correctly. They ended up giving me a special promotional discount of $20/month for one year instead.
__________________
Alan
Tivo S1 May 2000
Tivo S3 June 2007
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #7868
Dragon509
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to make absolutely sure before making any plans. I have a series 3 with a motorola m-card in it. From what I've gleaned, if I want to watch a specific PPV event like UFC or WWE, I can call Comcast and order it and it'll work fine on the tivo. Is this accurate?
Dragon509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #7869
Kalick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Comcast suck

I'm looking for some help from you guys who have been dealing with Comcast for a while.

I just ordered the Tivo Premiere and it will be delivered to me in a few days. In preparation for its delivery I called up Comcast to setup an installation for a cable card. Based on what Tivo customer support had told me (and the information found on Comcast's website), I would be able to request a cable card (1 M-card would work for Premiere, correct?) from Comcast and it would cost me whatever installation fee and either no monthly fee, or a small one between 1- 5 dollars.

Upon calling Comcast, they told me the cable card would require a $16 monthly fee. I was surprised, and told them that their website said the 1st card is free. They admitted their website was misleading, but insisted on either the $16 fee, or they said I could upgrade my cable package to their preferred package for $10 more, and they would waive the cable card fee. In some choice words, I told them this was silly and I would call them back after investigating the matter further. Is a $16 cable card fee for people using the digital starter package normal?

Any advice?
Kalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #7870
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,008
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalick View Post
I'm looking for some help from you guys who have been dealing with Comcast for a while.

I just ordered the Tivo Premiere and it will be delivered to me in a few days. In preparation for its delivery I called up Comcast to setup an installation for a cable card. Based on what Tivo customer support had told me (and the information found on Comcast's website), I would be able to request a cable card (1 M-card would work for Premiere, correct?) from Comcast and it would cost me whatever installation fee and either no monthly fee, or a small one between 1- 5 dollars.

Upon calling Comcast, they told me the cable card would require a $16 monthly fee. I was surprised, and told them that their website said the 1st card is free. They admitted their website was misleading, but insisted on either the $16 fee, or they said I could upgrade my cable package to their preferred package for $10 more, and they would waive the cable card fee. In some choice words, I told them this was silly and I would call them back after investigating the matter further. Is a $16 cable card fee for people using the digital starter package normal?

Any advice?
I'd call back and see if you can get to a supervisor. It's supposed to be like 3 bucks a month. We have two Series 3's which together use FOUR M Cards and they are only charging us for two. IIRC its about 3 bucks for each one.
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #7871
ncfoster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalick View Post
I'm looking for some help from you guys who have been dealing with Comcast for a while.

I just ordered the Tivo Premiere and it will be delivered to me in a few days. In preparation for its delivery I called up Comcast to setup an installation for a cable card. Based on what Tivo customer support had told me (and the information found on Comcast's website), I would be able to request a cable card (1 M-card would work for Premiere, correct?) from Comcast and it would cost me whatever installation fee and either no monthly fee, or a small one between 1- 5 dollars.

Upon calling Comcast, they told me the cable card would require a $16 monthly fee. I was surprised, and told them that their website said the 1st card is free. They admitted their website was misleading, but insisted on either the $16 fee, or they said I could upgrade my cable package to their preferred package for $10 more, and they would waive the cable card fee. In some choice words, I told them this was silly and I would call them back after investigating the matter further. Is a $16 cable card fee for people using the digital starter package normal?

Any advice?
I have only been with Comcast a short while, but I recently went through something like this. The person I initially got on the phone was clueless, and the supervisor was only passable. Initially, I said I wanted Digital Starter (the $29.99/mo. promo) with a Tivo, plus two TVs with just DTAs. I forget the exact progression, but I know that I was told that I had to pay the base rate, plus an HD access fee (I think there were other things as well). In any case, they were trying to tell me that I was going to effectively have to pay something about the same cost as their HD-DVR, even though I did not have one. It was only after a done of bitching and moaning that I got things down to the $29.99/mo. level. Of course, my other TVs only have DTAs on them. It took forever to get to the point that they even offered me anything that didn't cost something on those.

I also think there is apparently some regional variation as far as pricing, possibly even including cable cards, but as the other poster said, call back and if you have more problems, ask for a supervisor. Also, you can e-mail the comcastcares folks. I got decent results from that for other problems.
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #7872
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalick View Post
I'm looking for some help from you guys who have been dealing with Comcast for a while.

I just ordered the Tivo Premiere and it will be delivered to me in a few days. In preparation for its delivery I called up Comcast to setup an installation for a cable card. Based on what Tivo customer support had told me (and the information found on Comcast's website), I would be able to request a cable card (1 M-card would work for Premiere, correct?) from Comcast and it would cost me whatever installation fee and either no monthly fee, or a small one between 1- 5 dollars.

Upon calling Comcast, they told me the cable card would require a $16 monthly fee. I was surprised, and told them that their website said the 1st card is free. They admitted their website was misleading, but insisted on either the $16 fee, or they said I could upgrade my cable package to their preferred package for $10 more, and they would waive the cable card fee. In some choice words, I told them this was silly and I would call them back after investigating the matter further. Is a $16 cable card fee for people using the digital starter package normal?

Any advice?
I don't know how much the charge should be in your area, but what they are charging you for is an "additional digital outlet". If you are willing to turn in your existing set-top box, you should not have any new charges.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #7873
Kalick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't know how much the charge should be in your area, but what they are charging you for is an "additional digital outlet". If you are willing to turn in your existing set-top box, you should not have any new charges.
The first thing I told them was that I was going to be returning my Comcast HD-DVR and was replacing it with the Tivo, so I don't think that was it.

I'm going to go in person to my local Comcast service center during lunch today and see if I can take care of it in person while returning the HD-DVR.
Kalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #7874
jlb
NCC-1701-D
 
jlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 7,241
All this mess makes me so glad I just have lifeline cable (locals with HD). Costs me $11/mo and the 1 M-card is free. Less is more I think with Comcast.....
__________________
1 TiVoHD with Motorola M Cable Card and a 2TB Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS Drive.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #7875
Kalick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
All this mess makes me so glad I just have lifeline cable (locals with HD). Costs me $11/mo and the 1 M-card is free. Less is more I think with Comcast.....
If Comcast didn't have a monopoly in my area, trust me, I would not be using them. The place I just moved from had Time Warner, and boy do I miss them.
Kalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #7876
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 22,008
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalick View Post
If Comcast didn't have a monopoly in my area, trust me, I would not be using them. The place I just moved from had Time Warner, and boy do I miss them.
If DirecTV ever gets another DirecTiVo unit, I'm going to RUN from Comcast as fast as I possibly can. Are you listening DirecTV?
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #7877
khomel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
Can I get a definitive ruling on if I can access onDemand (like Howard TV) shows with a Premiere and a Comcast m-card? I'm seeing conflicting information on their site/this site/Comcast support, etc. I don't want to be able to record...just watch onDemand programs. Thanks in advance!
khomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #7878
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,285
No you can't get OnDemand via TiVo. PPV might be possible, but no OnDemand.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #7879
khomel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
No you can't get OnDemand via TiVo. PPV might be possible, but no OnDemand.
Wow, Comcast JUST told me on the phone that onDemand works with M-Cards. This has been verified, for sure?
khomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #7880
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomel

Wow, Comcast JUST told me on the phone that onDemand works with M-Cards. This has been verified, for sure?
OnDemand doesn't use a set frequency so it won't work unless 2-way communications is available which it isn't with a TiVo. Theoretically it's possible to use OnDemand with a tuning adapter, but it was never designed for that and Comcast doesn't use them anyway.

Basically the person you spoke to had no idea what he was talking about. It won't work.

Like I said PPV can work if you call in to order (though I've never tried that), but not OnDemand.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #7881
khomel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20
Bummer. Thanks for the confirmation! Looks like I'll stick with the crappy Comcast boxes for a while. Unless I just forget about onDemand, of course...
khomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #7882
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomel
Bummer. Thanks for the confirmation! Looks like I'll stick with the crappy Comcast boxes for a while. Unless I just forget about onDemand, of course...
You can always keep a cable box for OnDemand and get a TiVo for everything else. Most Comcast packages include 1 free box which you "pay" for whether you actually have it or not.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #7883
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite
 
EvilMidniteBombr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Parts Unknown, Kentucky
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon509 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want to make absolutely sure before making any plans. I have a series 3 with a motorola m-card in it. From what I've gleaned, if I want to watch a specific PPV event like UFC or WWE, I can call Comcast and order it and it'll work fine on the tivo. Is this accurate?
From what I have read in this topic, yes. You will have to call in the order but you should be able to watch it on your TiVo. That's all the info I can offer since I don't have first hand experience with PPV and TiVo.
__________________
TCD652160 TiVoHD
TiVo Premiere
Toshiba RS-TX20

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #7884
a68oliver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Castle, IN
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
You can always keep a cable box for OnDemand and get a TiVo for everything else. Most Comcast packages include 1 free box which you "pay" for whether you actually have it or not.
But then you would probably have to pay for an "Additional Digital Outlet" at approximately 8-9 dollars a month. Without the Comcast box, you wouldn't have to pay that fee.

Consequently, On Demand wouldn't be free any longer.
__________________
Alan
Tivo S1 May 2000
Tivo S3 June 2007
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #7885
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver

But then you would probably have to pay for an "Additional Digital Outlet" at approximately 8-9 dollars a month. Without the Comcast box, you wouldn't have to pay that fee.
I think that depends on what package you have and in what area. I've been on the triple play package for over 3 years and have never had to pay an additional outlet fee despite having 2 tivos and an hd cable box. I did have to pay for the hd part of the cable box until recently when I switched to the hd triple play which has no hd fees. So basically I'm just paying the package price and nothing else.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #7886
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite
 
EvilMidniteBombr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Parts Unknown, Kentucky
Posts: 1,710
I have an HD TiVo with an M-card and I recently picked up an open box, brand new TiVo Premiere from hhGregg for $75. The same day I scheduled a service run to install an M-card. (It still pisses me off that I can't install the damn thing myself.) The install went relatively well. It took them (there were two techs) a little while to get it working and receiving all my channels but it's been fine. My problems started when I got my first bill.

I was charged $8.50 for HDTV on top of the $8.50 I was already being charged. Added to that was another $8.50 for an additional outlet. So now, I am paying an additional $17 for something that should only cost me up to $2.50 per FCC regulations.

Of course I was not happy with this, so I emailed we_can_help@comcast.net with my situation and what I felt should be fair.

The next afternoon I got a call from a Comcast rep. We talked for a while and I agreed on the following. She would waive the additional outlet fee, reduce the second HDTV fee to $3.50. Plus a $15/month credit for 1 year.

So, as it turns out, I should be paying slightly less than what I was before installing the 2nd M-card. All thanks to this thread and a Comcast rep that was actually willing to be reasonable.
__________________
TCD652160 TiVoHD
TiVo Premiere
Toshiba RS-TX20

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #7887
a68oliver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Castle, IN
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr View Post
I have an HD TiVo with an M-card and I recently picked up an open box, brand new TiVo Premiere from hhGregg for $75. ..........

I was charged $8.50 for HDTV on top of the $8.50 I was already being charged. Added to that was another $8.50 for an additional outlet. So now, I am paying an additional $17 for something that should only cost me up to $2.50 per FCC regulations.

Of course I was not happy with this, so I emailed we_can_help@comcast.net with my situation and what I felt should be fair.

The next afternoon I got a call from a Comcast rep. We talked for a while and I agreed on the following. She would waive the additional outlet fee, reduce the second HDTV fee to $3.50. Plus a $15/month credit for 1 year.
I am not sure, but I think that $8.50 might be the "HD Technology Fee" which should only be charged once per account. The jury is still out on what exactly that fee covers. Does it cover the cost of HD technology on Comcast provided equipment in the home or HD technology at the headend? In my case, I have no Comcast equipment in the home other than the cablecards and I am not being charged an HD Technology Fee.

I believe the FCC regs cover the cost of cablecards and don't say anything about additional outlet charges. So it seems reasonable that they may charge you more to add another Tivo (additional outlet).

While I don't understand how you and the CSR arrived at the "correct" charges, they don't agree with the rate card in my area. But rates vary across the country.

You and I do have something in common. They can't figure out how to program the billing computer to charge the published rates and offer a one year credit to compensate.
__________________
Alan
Tivo S1 May 2000
Tivo S3 June 2007
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #7888
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite
 
EvilMidniteBombr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Parts Unknown, Kentucky
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I am not sure, but I think that $8.50 might be the "HD Technology Fee" which should only be charged once per account. The jury is still out on what exactly that fee covers. Does it cover the cost of HD technology on Comcast provided equipment in the home or HD technology at the headend? In my case, I have no Comcast equipment in the home other than the cablecards and I am not being charged an HD Technology Fee.

I believe the FCC regs cover the cost of cablecards and don't say anything about additional outlet charges. So it seems reasonable that they may charge you more to add another Tivo (additional outlet).

While I don't understand how you and the CSR arrived at the "correct" charges, they don't agree with the rate card in my area. But rates vary across the country.

You and I do have something in common. They can't figure out how to program the billing computer to charge the published rates and offer a one year credit to compensate.
I don't know that we arrived at the "correct" charges but at least they were something Comcast & I could live with.

The "HDTV Service" (verbatim from the bill) charge is something that hacked me off. Especially if it is a charge for the cablecards. I am in the same situation as you are. I have no Comcast equipment in my home other than the cablecards. These would be the same cablecards I would need if I had digital only. If that were the case, I wouldn't have any additional charges other than for the 2nd card. But for some reason, since I have HD service, they charged me for $8.50 for a year and tried to double it when I added a second card. If it's equipment on their end, I have less of an argument. I don't see how adding my second TiVo to the account would be a burden on their equipment.
__________________
TCD652160 TiVoHD
TiVo Premiere
Toshiba RS-TX20

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #7889
kdzenith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
Things turned out a bit better than I expected.

I ended up adding a single HD box to the family room... just so that we have the option of watching On-Demand. That one ended up being the "free" first connection.

For my 3 TiVO boxes, they charged me less than they quoted me on the phone. Instead of a "per TiVO" charge of $8.00 "digital outlet" plus $1.5 "Cable Card"... they only charged me a single $8.00 "digital outlet" fee, plus the $4.5 for the three CCs.

I think it ended up OK in the end, it is costing me $12.50 total to support all three TiVOs.

/Jim
I just had another Comcast - Portland, OR experience to share. In January, I had 1 cablecard (S-type) installed in my second S3 Tivo that I brought to Portland from my vacation home. To put this in perspective, I have long had a S3 Tivo installed here. My only television also had a cablecard slot, so I was using 3 cablecards (no comcast boxes at all). I was being charged nothing for the first card, $1.50 for the second card, and after much debate and arguing a few years ago, $8.00 for a "additional outlet digital service" really my 3rd cablecard. They bought me off for awhile on this by giving me some type of price break for a year, without conceding I really should only pay another $1.50 for my 3rd card.

Years passed. In January I bought a second TV. So I removed the cablecard from my first TV and put it into my second S3 Tivo. It worked flawlessly. Finally, I figured I might as well spring for 1 more cablecard, thinking it would be another $1.50 "2nd cablecard for multi cablecard device" fee.

I was wrong. Comcast billed me another $8.00 "additional outlet" fee for this last card. When I called and complained, I was initially told I was actually being undercharged, as starting January 1, 2011, the rates changed to $8.00 per cablecard after the first one being free! Getting next to a supervisor, I was told this is true, but my $1.50 charge on card #2 was a grandfathered rate. I never noticed this on the most recent rate card they sent, and still find this impossible to believe - especially for the old S-type cards!

Since I refrained from swearing, the supervisor quickly offered to give me a big break on my bill for the next 12 months. I have both digital preferred TV and high speed internet service. The base charge on my most recent bill for these 2 services is 125.94. The supervisor gave me the current promo rate for new customers of tv+internet of 79.99/mo for 6 months, followed by 94.99/mo for the following 6 months, saving me on average some $38/mo for the next year. Of course I'm sure I kissed off that $1.50 card rate forever....

We'll see if it actually comes true.

Any other recent Portland experiences shedding any light on their new cablecard rate structure? Of course I do not trust anything
I hear directly from Comcast at the end of an 800 telephone number!

Cheers!
kdzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #7890
a68oliver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Castle, IN
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzenith View Post
Of course I do not trust anything
I hear directly from Comcast at the end of an 800 telephone number!

Cheers!
Which is precisely why I like to walk into the office with the rate card they mailed me and the cablecard FAQ in my hand.
__________________
Alan
Tivo S1 May 2000
Tivo S3 June 2007
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |