TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #781
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRounder View Post
My original drive failed so I took a 500GB drive that was laying around and used it while waiting to get my 1TB replacement. The original drive was a 320GB drive. I used jmfs to copy to the 500GB drive and expand it. Now that I've copied the 500 to the 1TB I'm finding that it's stuck at 500GB and I can't expand it. Is there any way to get around this or because I expanded the 500GB or am I now stuck with that?
Use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy off any shows you want to save to computer hard drive space, then do a truncated backup image, then restore it to the 1TB.

What you've got going on is the 500 has the maximum allowed number per drive of MFS partitions, so you need to start over and make larger versions of those partitions.

I'm only familiar with doing the backup restore thing with MFS Live (and I'm starting to play with WinMFS) on S1s and S2s, so can't tell you the exact procedure for whatever jmfs is.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #782
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Use the free version of TiVo Desktop to copy off any shows you want to save to computer hard drive space, then do a truncated backup image, then restore it to the 1TB.

What you've got going on is the 500 has the maximum allowed number per drive of MFS partitions, so you need to start over and make larger versions of those partitions.

I'm only familiar with doing the backup restore thing with MFS Live (and I'm starting to play with WinMFS) on S1s and S2s, so can't tell you the exact procedure for whatever jmfs is.
jmfs won't cut it. It's a pre-fabbed menu that strictly does a dd_rescue copy then an expand.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #783
TheNJDevil

Hi everyone, my first post but been lurking around for a few months. I had an issue with the supersize upgrade and wondering what I could have done to possible cause the problem. I have a replacement unit and before I undertake the process again, I'd like to figure out what I could have done wrong. I'd consider myself a somewhat tech savvy person; put together PCs myself but no longer doing that as the kids keep me plenty busy but don't know anything about linux.

Here are the steps I performed:
- Bought a WD20EARS
- Did the AAM adjustment as outlined in Section IV, #32 using Hddscan (can't post link since I don't have enough posts)
- Carefully took out the TiVo HD from my Tivo Premiere
- Connected both the Tivo HD and the WD20EARS to my PC using SATA
- Booted from Jmfs
- Did the Copy, Expand, Supersize
- There were no errors so I took the WD20EARS and installed it into the Premiere

Upon starting, the Premiere would get stuck at the second bootup screen that says "Just a few mintues more". Unplugged the Tivo and tried one more time and got to the same point without successfully getting the Tivo to work.

I then removed the WD20EARS and put in the original Tivo Premiere HD. Same exact problem. It would only get to the second screen, "Just a few mintues more" and would not successfully start up.

This was a brand new Tivo and I waited 3 days before I did the Supersize. Could that have anything to do with it?

Right now I'm on a replacement unit that's been going for almost 2 months. And before I attempt this again, I'd like to figure out where I may have made a mistake. Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.
TheNJDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #784
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNJDevil View Post

Upon starting, the Premiere would get stuck at the second bootup screen that says "Just a few mintues more". Unplugged the Tivo and tried one more time and got to the same point without successfully getting the Tivo to work.

I then removed the WD20EARS and put in the original Tivo Premiere HD. Same exact problem. It would only get to the second screen, "Just a few mintues more" and would not successfully start up.

This was a brand new Tivo and I waited 3 days before I did the Supersize. Could that have anything to do with it?

Right now I'm on a replacement unit that's been going for almost 2 months. And before I attempt this again, I'd like to figure out where I may have made a mistake. Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.
How long did you wait "just a few minutes more?" It takes a long time the first time you install the upgraded drive - like 15 minutes. It does a fsck drive check or something.

Let the TiVo cook for a half hour and see if it comes up. As long as you don't get a GSOD - Green Screen of Death, don't unplug it.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #785
TheNJDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
How long did you wait "just a few minutes more?" It takes a long time the first time you install the upgraded drive - like 15 minutes. It does a fsck drive check or something.

Let the TiVo cook for a half hour and see if it comes up. As long as you don't get a GSOD - Green Screen of Death, don't unplug it.
I waited a good 15-20 minutes, maybe more.

So I should wait at least 30 minutes before throwing in the towel? I could swear I probably let it go for 30 minutes at least once.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #786
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The next thing to try is the kickstarts.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post5643823
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #787
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
As long as you don't get a GSOD - Green Screen of Death, don't unplug it.
Never unplug TiVo if you get the MFS assert (GSOD). Doing so can cause irreparable data corruption. Always let TiVo go through the diagnostic and repair process and reboot itself. (Unless it goes into a reboot loop.)
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #788
TheNJDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Never unplug TiVo if you get the MFS assert (link removed due to number of posts). Doing so can cause irreparable data corruption. Always let TiVo go through the diagnostic and repair process and reboot itself. (Unless it goes into a reboot loop.)
I actually recall it going into a reboot loop with both drives (original Tivo HD and new WD) . . . I'm remembering a little bit more now.

When opening the Premiere is there a special way to power down the box before unplugging and opening?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #789
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNJDevil View Post
When opening the Premiere is there a special way to power down the box before unplugging and opening?
Nothing special for the Premiere or any other TiVo for that matter...just unplug it. Avoid dropping metal objects on or touching the power supply when the case is off...it can still pack a punch.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #790
jsquared222

Comer’s upgrade software works like a champ! Thanks Comer! I just upgraded my Premiere with a Western Digital WD20EARS hard drive and it was very easy. The hard drive manufacture date was December 2010. I had no soft reboot issues.
jsquared222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #791
uforia

Successful upgrade with Hitachi Coolspin 2TB

I upgraded my new (refurb) Premiere with the 2TB Hitachi Coolspin yesterday. Went off without a hitch and booted up fine the first time. I used the latest JMFS and did the copy/expand/supersize. Piece of cake.

I also tried the hdparm commands to adjust acoustics and APM. Based on what I read here I didn't expect it to work, and it didn't. But the Hitachi drive is pretty quiet.

I have a WD20EARS on the way, but wanted to get this done this weekend. And the $69.99 for the 2TB Hitachi at Fry's this week was just too good of a deal. I'll be putting the WD in another Premiere I have on the way to upgrade the bedroom now.

Also, a bit interesting.... the stock HDD I pulled from the refurb Premiere had a round sticker on it that say "BAD HDD". That's really encouraging!!
uforia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #792
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by uforia View Post
I upgraded my new (refurb) Premiere with the 2TB Hitachi Coolspin yesterday. <snip>
Congrats and nice job! Did you happen to write down the Hitachi's exact model number? If it's quiet enough it would be good to have an alternative going forward. TIA.

Enjoy!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #793
uforia

Hitachi Coolspin 2TB Mfg #0S03222

Quote:
Did you happen to write down the Hitachi's exact model number?
I didn't note anything off the drive itself. I didn't look closely thinking I could just check the box again later (it's a retail version). But the box doesn't have many details. It shows a mfg # 0S03222, but that number apparently associated with Fry's only (if you do a Google search with it).

Here is the link for those interested. It is a SATA3 (6Gbps) version and has a 3 year warranty.
http://www.frys.com/product/6554753
Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #794
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
I didn't note anything off the drive itself. I didn't look closely thinking I could just check the box again later (it's a retail version). But the box doesn't have many details. It shows a mfg # 0S03222, but that number apparently associated with Fry's only (if you do a Google search with it).

Here is the link for those interested. It is a SATA3 (6Gbps) version and has a 3 year warranty.
These might be it....the specs are similar:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145475

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst.../dp/B004E9SGO0
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #795
km

Is there any info on how quiet the 2TB Hitachi Coolspin is relative to the WD20EARS?

I have 2 Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 which makes a lot of noise. Its not really the constant rotational noise that is the problem, but the crackle and pop of the head motion when its busy.

One of them is in an HD Tivo, and pretty much covered by the fan and insulation of the unit.

The other I use in a small no fan usb enclosure with mythtv. The head motion noise is very noticeable, and thats the one I want to replace. The Coolspin caught my eye since Frys has it locally at $69. I would have to do mail order to get the WD for $79. But my main concern is any difference in head noise.
km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #796
richsadams

Quote:

What would be really helpful is to have both the model number listed on the box (there s/b a sticker with a alpha numerical line that starts off with "HD") as well as the actual model number from the label on the drive. This is important because Hitachi has a bad habit of changing drives in their retail/packaged products. Plus their retail products are often different from the OEM (bare) drives.

The issue is acoustics (noise). They have a few drives that are very quiet, but others sound like thrashing machines...and as many have discovered changing the AAM is often not an option anymore.

If you happen to open your TiVo again let us know the drive model. TIA!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #797
wesbc

Well here's a little update with my freeze / reboot situation after upgrading to 2TB. I think I've narrowed it down to my HP EX490 Mediasmart sever. With it powered off, my Tivo seems to be happy, which I do not understand as I've had the two co-exist prior to the upgrade. I did also put in a new WD black 2TB and reloaded my mediasmart at the time, reinstall Tivo Expander and move back all my show on the mediasmart (about 1.5TB worth). This is a real head scratcher. Wish I have a some sort of packet analyzer... well actually a network admin that know how to use one too. LOL.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #798
wesbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by km View Post
Is there any info on how quiet the 2TB Hitachi Coolspin is relative to the WD20EARS?
It's quiet. As with all green drive, they are very quiet. I have one in my Tivo and I can't hear a thing sitting a few feet away.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #799
uforia

Hitachi model number

Quote:
What would be really helpful is to have both the model number listed on the box (there s/b a sticker with a alpha numerical line that starts off with "HD") as well as the actual model number from the label on the drive. This is important because Hitachi has a bad habit of changing drives in their retail/packaged products. Plus their retail products are often different from the OEM (bare) drives.
Digging in the trash I found that the anti-static bag had a sticker on the other side I didn't see. There are a few different numbers, so I'll list them all. These are for the Hitachi Coolspin 2TB on sale this week at Frys:

C P/N: H3D20003254S
P/N: 0F12117
MLC: MNL580
Capacity: 2.0TB FW:580
HDS5C3020ALA632
JAN-2011

Hope this helps. Systems seems to be running fine, except for some "network unavailable" errors on the HDUI, which I expect are completely unrelated to the upgrade after some reading on the board.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #800
richsadams

Quote:
Digging in the trash I found that the anti-static bag had a sticker on the other side I didn't see. There are a few different numbers, so I'll list them all. These are for the Hitachi Coolspin 2TB on sale this week at Frys:

C P/N: H3D20003254S
P/N: 0F12117
MLC: MNL580
Capacity: 2.0TB FW:580
HDS5C3020ALA632
JAN-2011

Hope this helps. Systems seems to be running fine, except for some "network unavailable" errors on the HDUI, which I expect are completely unrelated to the upgrade after some reading on the board.
Thanks for that...good info. That looks to be the drive (HDS5C3020ALA632) ThreeSoFar referenced above:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145475

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Deskst.../dp/B004E9SGO0

We'll have to add this one to the options list.

Keep us apprised about your experiences. TIA!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #801
lakesideguy

Big Grin Woohoo another report of success

Hi Comer,

Thanks so much for all your work.
It really was as easy as your instructions.
I burned your ISO CD. I disconnected my hard drives on the PC and used those sata connections for the TIVO drive and the drive to be upgraded.

And now I have 2 TB in my Tivo Premier I just got 2 weeks ago and over 300 hours of HD recording.

The drive was a WD20EARS green drive bought at Amazon for 79 bucks.
I did not have to use wdidle3 nor set the AAM.
Everything has been working perfectly over the past week.

The 79 was well worth the upgrade!!!!

Thanks!
lakesideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #802
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Well here's a little update with my freeze / reboot situation after upgrading to 2TB. I think I've narrowed it down to my HP EX490 Mediasmart sever. With it powered off, my Tivo seems to be happy, which I do not understand as I've had the two co-exist prior to the upgrade. I did also put in a new WD black 2TB and reloaded my mediasmart at the time, reinstall Tivo Expander and move back all my show on the mediasmart (about 1.5TB worth). This is a real head scratcher. Wish I have a some sort of packet analyzer... well actually a network admin that know how to use one too. LOL.
Wow! Interesting. It was when I resurrected my HP Mediasmart that my Premiere started having problems.

Along the way I unplugged the TiVo (short term) and the Mediasmart (longer) from the LAN and I still had problems...butttttttt...what if the content transferred from the WHS to the TiVo is corrupted and that causes the TiVo to flake whenever it comes across it?
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #803
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just having an HP Mediasmart on the same NETWORK is causing issues with a Premiere? WTF? How odd. Very, very odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #804
Donni

Quote:
I had the same problem like yours. To solve the problem, I just uninstall HP Mediasmart Expander for Tivo from my HP Mediasmart EX490. After that, Tivo works perfectly, even HP Mediasmart still connect to my home networking. I hope this solution can help other members, too.
Donni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #805
lakesideguy

Quote:
It's quiet. As with all green drive, they are very quiet. I have one in my Tivo and I can't hear a thing sitting a few feet away.
I just upgraded my Tivo Premier to 2 TB using the EARS drive same model. I can't hear it all inside my box.....

I don't know if that helps but even if it's quiter I can't see how it matters considering I cant even here the EARS drive anyway. I prefer reliability and as a matter of my own opinion I think Western Digital is better over my past 30 years of experience.
lakesideguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #806
wesbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donni View Post
I had the same problem like yours. To solve the problem, I just uninstall HP Mediasmart Expander for Tivo from my HP Mediasmart EX490. After that, Tivo works perfectly, even HP Mediasmart still connect to my home networking. I hope this solution can help other members, too.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try un-installing and re-installing and see. One of the reason I got the EX490 was because of the Tivo expander. This was really helpful when I only had the stock drive, but still I like off loading all my movies to it. I suppose I can put it on my PC, but the mediasmart would be online more often.

At least now I know the reason and do not have to worry about trying to swap the drive out of my Tivo.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #807
ducker

Rich,
Is there an "official" of drives that have been utilized in a Premiere box? I'm looking to spec out all the parts I'll need to upgrade a Premiere box before I order it. and the link that brings me to your official guide looks like it contains a lot of dated information in the top post. (ie. limits of only 1gb drive expansions)

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #808
wesbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
Rich,
Is there an "official" of drives that have been utilized in a Premiere box? I'm looking to spec out all the parts I'll need to upgrade a Premiere box before I order it. and the link that brings me to your official guide looks like it contains a lot of dated information in the top post. (ie. limits of only 1gb drive expansions)

Thanks!
Right now the popular choice is any of the WD Green drives, was going to use one but 2 I bought both fail extended test. I'm using the Hitachi cool spin and have heard others using the Samsung F4. I think it's pretty safe with any of the 5X00rpm drives but be sure to do an extended test on them to safe you headaches of a bad drive. There's not much in parts, just the drive, unless you need some torx screw drivers for remove the drive.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #809
ducker

Yea I already did one upgrade ages ago so I should still have my Torx drives. You're running an extended test through what tool?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #810
wesbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
Yea I already did one upgrade ages ago so I should still have my Torx drives. You're running an extended test through what tool?

Thanks.
I think the 2 main ones are the WD Data Lifeguard and Hitachi Drive fitness. I've used the WD tools on all sorts of drive, not just WD drive. I have had issue with connecting the drives to an external doc so if you are using one and have issue, be sure to test connecting directly to the Motherboard. With a 2TB drive, it'll take 5-6hr, but when you are going to store that much data, it's a small price to pay.