TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #301
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
While I hope you are correct, I don't see it dropping that low lol.
Might be used. I personally see functionality in the iPad but not of a nature that I would pay much for it since it is nice to have functionality.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #302
innocentfreak

Oh I definitely agree. I have an IOU xmas present with the choice of a laptop or iPad. I keep leaning towards a laptop since I can't justify the cost of the iPad since other than with TiVo I wouldn't have as much of a use for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #303
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
The latest update of the app tells us something VERY INTERESTING:

Quote:
This app currently requires a TiVo Premier Series 4 DVR. Support for RCN and sudden link Premier Boxes, along with limited support for TiVo Series 3/TiVo HD DVR's, is coming soon.

Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #304
spudnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I came here to find out what the scoop on this is. The update said it was to make it easy to control multiple Tivos. The app came up and showed my TiVo name along with a list of my pyTivo shares which were grayed out.

When I tried to select a share I got the message in the previous post.

Before I get riled up, is the Tivo Premier the Tivo Premier 4? If not, I am going to be very put out as I "upgraded" to a Premier basically for the iPad app.
spudnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #305
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnic View Post
Before I get riled up, is the Tivo Premier the Tivo Premier 4?
Yes. Do you have the latest Software version installed on your Premiere? Mine says 14.7-01-3-746 (this is under Account & System Information.) I'm pretty sure you'll also need to enable network control (Settings -> Remote, CableCARD & Device Settings -> Network Remote Control.)

Make sure your TiVo is on the network. Check Settings -> Network & Phone -> View Network Status.

Last edited by Fofer : 03-01-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #306
spudnic

The app itself is working fine for me, I love it. I have just been looking forward to them allowing me to browse my pyTivo shares with it and got all excited when they showed up.

Then I noticed they were grayed out and read that message about the Premier 4 and felt a bit deflated.

Should I be able to see these shares now? Should I force a call?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #307
bradleys
It'll be fine....

If you are talking about the video library you might have on a server or local PC, I do not believe this is suggesting any support for them.

My pytivo is down at the moment (using TiVo desktop), so I am very interested in the fact that you are seeing them as a grey selection. You should only be seeing actual TiVo's... Is PyTivo representing itself as a TiVo? A photo would be VERY helpful for the devs - I am sure!

I might be wrong, but I would not get too excited about that fact. Although, It is an upgrade I would like as well!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #308
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

PyTivo like TiVo Desktop advertises itself using Bonjour or TiVo Beacon, so my guess is that the iPad is picking that up and then graying them since they are not a TiVo box it specifically knows how to deal with.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #309
bradleys
It'll be fine....

But I did not see my TiVo Desktop on the list, just my TiVo's. If Spudnic is actually seeing a PyTiVo library it is at the very least, interesting and potentially might cause problems in the future.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #310
spudnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
But I did not see my TiVo Desktop on the list, just my TiVo's. If Spudnic is actually seeing a PyTiVo library it is at the very least, interesting and potentially might cause problems in the future.
Here is the list and the dialog box that pops up when you select a pyTivo share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (28.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (33.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #311
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

It could very well be how pytivo announces itself on the LAN. I plagiarized a bit of pyTivo's use of ZeroConf & Beacon to detect TiVo DVRs on the LAN for my TiVoToDo project, and I seem to recall the announcement of pyTivo shares using a string similar to "TiVoMediaServer". Since TiVoToDo doesn't announce anything, I didn't dig too deep into that portion of the code.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #312
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Isn't that interesting!

I still wouldn't assume that we will ever get direct access to those shares - but I never expected to see that.

What I would expect and would like to to see is access to the libraries more as a folder under My Shows. It would be nice to initiate a move from any TiVo or library just like we can do from the UI.

I suspect we will see that functionality about the same time the HDUI is completed for that functionality...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-02-2011, 05:24 AM   #313
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Eh, you know pyTivo has a web interface, right? No need to access it through the app.

I'm assuming the shares appear greyed out because pyTivo sends out _tivo_video share announcements, but not the new _tivo_mindrpc service that the iPad app wants to see. I dunno why TiVo Desktop doesn't show up; perhaps it's specifically excluded?

pyTivo doesn't pretend to be a TiVo, but the _tivo_video announcements for both are similar. It may even be that pyTivo looks a little bit more like a TiVo than TiVo Desktop does (e.g. in their respective beacon behaviors). But a TiVo can certainly tell the difference, as you can see by the icons used.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #314
innocentfreak

I haven't messed around with the web interface of Python really and didn't know if you could use it to also delete files from the shares?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #315
WizarDru

Quote:
Engadget has a brief article about it: Tivo App to add limited support for Tivo HD/Series 3 DVRs.
WizarDru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #316
spudnic

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Eh, you know pyTivo has a web interface, right? No need to access it through the app.
But the app is just so perty!

Actually I use it to select shows, etc., but use the remote for ff, pause, etc. It's just far more convenient. That's not a dig at the app UI at all, I just really like tactile operations for stuff like that.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #317
wps

I have 3 ipads and 4 TIVO HDs. Tivo is missing a big opportunity not supporting Tivo HDs with this app. Also, I will not buy a Tivo premiere - they made a huge mistake not having GB Ethernet - i would upgrade all 4 Tivos to premieres if they had GB Ethernet but not for this app.

Hope Tivo picks up their game before i hit my upgrade cycle.
wps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #318
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wps View Post
I have 3 ipads and 4 TIVO HDs. Tivo is missing a big opportunity not supporting Tivo HDs with this app. Also, I will not buy a Tivo premiere - they made a huge mistake not having GB Ethernet - i would upgrade all 4 Tivos to premieres if they had GB Ethernet but not for this app.

Hope Tivo picks up their game before i hit my upgrade cycle.
Do you just jump on every iPad / TiVo thread to complain about lack of S3 support or do you actually read them to see if anything might have changed?

Ok, that might have been a little snarky of me...

With this latest update TiVo is announcing that limited S3 support is coming soon. That is what we are talking about.

The iPad app was designed around the new software service based collections of the Premier so it will be interesting to see what the functionality limitations there will be.

Funny, with all the complaining in the past, I am surprised that nobody has even hinted at even a small amount of appreciation for TiVo listening to their customers and making the attempt to provide this functionality.

Hmm...

Quote:
they made a huge mistake not having GB Ethernet
Really? The TiVo cannot process the file / transcode fast enough to utilize a gigabit connection. Heck, it doesn't even stress out the 100mbps connection it has. Why spend the money on a GB connection that it cannot possibly use?
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 03-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #319
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Funny, with all the complaining in the past, I am surprised that nobody has even hinted at even a small amount of appreciation for TiVo listening to their customers and making the attempt to provide this functionality.

Hmm...
You must've missed my posts, that expressed such appreciation.

Hmm...
Old 03-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #320
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Sorry I missed it.

I tend to be a glass half full kind of guy and the Internet has become such a downer lately. Doesn't matter what forum I visit everyone is angry.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #321
spudnic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Sorry I missed it.

I tend to be a glass half full kind of guy and the Internet has become such a downer lately. Doesn't matter what forum I visit everyone is angry.
Amen, brother. I've been looking at all these new sexy media boxes and each time I read about the awesome new feature it has all I can think is, "Well, yeah. I could do that with my TiVo for years."

The biggest gripe I have with Tivo is the screen wipe animations switching through menus. It is just annoying. The data is already there, yet I've got a bright background that makes it hard for me to read until the darker background slides in. It's gives me the perception that it is slower than it actually is.

I wish there was a way for them to allow us to turn that off.

If that's my biggest gripe with them then they're doing something right.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #322
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1110 View Post
It shows them streaming the program to the IPad but I'm pretty sure that won't come until December sometime but it does work.
Huh? What "shows them streaming?" This app doesn't stream at all and no information about this app has made any such promises.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #323
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Huh? What "shows them streaming?" This app doesn't stream at all and no information about this app has made any such promises.
You do know you're replying to a spammer, yes?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #324
MediaLivingRoom

The iPad TiVo app locks up the Premier, TiVo as a tech company, does not check their software. FIX IT!!!!
Jul10-2.384
Jul09-3.050
Jul08-3.623
Jul07-4.197
Jul06-4.418
July 2005 Tom Rogers was named CEO – A new leader is needed!!!
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #325
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Someone's off their meds again
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #326
innocentfreak

Not sure that TiVo really needed to ask, or if they did they may be worse off than we think since they don't know people want this.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/h...eaming-to-ipa/

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #327
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Not sure that TiVo really needed to ask, or if they did they may be worse off than we think since they don't know people want this.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/h...eaming-to-ipa/
I would think it's more to gauge how much people would want the feature. A vocal minority may clamor for a feature that the majority wouldn't use. I'm not necessarily say that's the case here, but it could just be due diligence on TiVo's part to find out the need/want...
Old 03-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #328
innocentfreak

Yeah I agree. I think though that the fact it has been one of the most requested features combined with the fact nearly every other DVR iPad app supports it should be justificatation enoough.

Of course this would point to just streaming in general also.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #329
bradleys
It'll be fine....

That Engadget artical is interesting enough to quote...

I do think that streaming to the ipad would be very interesting but I am skeptical about remote streaming. I could see copy directly to the ipad for remote viewing...

Do you also think this could be the beginning to streaming to an apliance? AppleTV? Yeah, I know - that is way out in left field.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/h...aming-to-ipa/#

Quote:
So, an update. Er, a refresher if you will. Back in September of last year, TiVo announced that ingrained Hulu Plus access would be coming to its DVRs "in the coming months," but we've heard precisely nothing on the matter ever since. Enter the present. We've got a tipster who owns a TiVo Premiere and was just invited to join a Field Trial to "test Hulu Plus on TiVo," and he's also receiving codes to receive a free month of service. It's hard to say what kind of gap we're looking at between the testing period and the go-live period, but at least we've got a little assurance that no one simply forgot about their promise. In related news, other tipsters are starting to receive some fairly interesting surveys from TiVo itself, with a few questions in particular asking consumers how they'd feel about the option to "stream live TV, DVR recordings and TV shows from a cable company's On Demand library to one's iPad." This seemingly includes in-home and remote streaming, and we have to say -- streaming to the tablet just might be the magic feature that finally gets TiVo out of the hurt locker. Probably not, but are you really going to judge us for being blindly optimistic?

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #330
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I think though that the fact it has been one of the most requested features combined with the fact nearly every other DVR iPad app supports it should be justificatation enoough.

Of course this would point to just streaming in general also.
Quote:
That Engadget artical is interesting enough to quote...

I do think that streaming to the ipad would be very interesting but I am skeptical about remote streaming. I could see copy directly to the ipad for remote viewing...

Do you also think this could be the beginning to streaming to an apliance? AppleTV? Yeah, I know - that is way out in left field.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/h...aming-to-ipa/#
It could be a way for TiVo to get their feet wet in the streaming business. With iPad development fresh in the engineer's minds, streaming to the device may be considered "low hanging fruit" to get a proof of concept streaming solution in place. Once perfected, other devices may come into the fold.