TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #691
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT4187 View Post
You know what, Rich .... I thought it was just me. That one screw was a pain.

I'll take that small hassle for the rest of the procedure going so smoothly!
LOL, you're not alone on that one and it is certainly worth the trouble!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #692
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Since I have a TP:
I'll copy and expand the 320G to a 500G.
Then see if the 500G will copy and expand to a 2TB.

I want to use the 500G since it will take less time to do the second step.

Be back later....

well more like tomorrow.....
Well, for some reason my copy to the 2TB did not work. It got stuck on the "missing external device" screen.

I'm copying it again right now.....

The copy and expand from the 320G to the 500G did work.

more later.......

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #693
HSW

Just did my second successful upgrade. This one was an XL unit upgraded to a 2TB WD20EARS drive. Ran Wdidle and hdscan first. The original drive was 50% full and copied everything perfectly except it took 7 hours. Thanks for this great program.

Lots of other stuff
HSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #694
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSW View Post
Just did my second successful upgrade. This one was an XL unit upgraded to a 2TB WD20EARS drive. Ran Wdidle and hdscan first. The original drive was 50% full and copied everything perfectly except it took 7 hours. Thanks for this great program.
Congrats and thanks for the update!

FWIW as mentioned earlier, this is a full copy program so it doesn't matter what the drive content is (full, empty or somewhere in between), the copy process/time will always be the same.

Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #695
Juano11

Success!

Just completed an upgrade of my TiVo Premiere with a WD20EARS drive.

It worked exactly as described. I had upgraded my TiVoHD in the past using InstantCake. This process was equally as easy.

Ran the WD Diagnostics full scan which took about 6-8hrs (I just let it run ovenight)

Connected the two drives to SATA ports on my motherboard and disconnected all the other drives except one optical drive.

Booted from the CD, both drives recognized, and ran the copy process (Approx 2-3 hrs)

Expand (seconds to minutes)

Supersize (seconds to minutes)

Removed old tivo drive and reconnected my regular HDDs to the motherboard. Adjusted the acoustic settings with HDD scan (Seconds to minutes)

Install the new drive...Yes, a couple of those screws were hard to get to. I definitely needed both a T10 & T15 bit. T10 to remove the case and drive mount. T15 to remove the drive from the mount itself.

Power up....SUCCESS! 317hrs of HD goodness for me!

My EARS drive was manufactured in November 2010, did not mess with intellipark, just soft-rebooted fine.

Thanks to Comer, Rich, and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

John

P.S. Comer, a few dineros will be headed your way soon.....
Juano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #696
retiredqwest

Quote:
Well, for some reason my copy to the 2TB did not work. It got stuck on the "missing external device" screen.

I'm copying it again right now.....

The copy and expand from the 320G to the 500G did work.

more later.......
I tried this again and got the same results.

So, using the stock drive 320G to a 500G and then upto 1 2TB does not work for me. And I doubt that using other sizes would make a difference.

I had my doubts JMFS would expand a TP drive twice.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #697
richsadams

Quote:
I tried this again and got the same results.

So, using the stock drive 320G to a 500G and then upto 1 2TB does not work for me. And I doubt that using other sizes would make a difference.

I had my doubts JMFS would expand a TP drive twice.
Thanks for doing all of that hard work. Now I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

So, we're talking about a TiVo Premiere correct?

Upgrading from original to larger 500GB drive = Yes?

Upgrading from upgraded 500GB drive to 1TB drive = Yes?

Upgrading from upgraded 1TB drive to 2TB drive = No?

I'm confused (nothing new). TIA for setting me straight.

Last edited by richsadams : 02-11-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Clairification
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #698
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks for doing all of that hard work. Now I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

So, we're talking about a TiVo Premiere correct?
Yes this was using the stock 320G drive from a Tivo Premiere.

Quote:
Upgrading from original to larger 500GB drive = Yes?
yes

Quote:
Upgrading from upgraded 500GB drive to 1TB drive = Yes?
Went straight from the 500G to the 2TB

Quote:
Upgrading from upgraded 1TB drive to 2TB drive = No?
didn't do that....

Quote:
I'm confused (nothing new). TIA for setting me straight.
one of the many pleasures of advancing age......

I don't believe the drive sizes matter too much, JMFS will only expand a TP drive once.

And in retrospect, I doubt that too many people would use JMFS on a target drive less than 2TB.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #699
richsadams

Quote:
one of the many pleasures of advancing age......
Yours or mine? Ha!

Quote:
I don't believe the drive sizes matter too much, JMFS will only expand a TP drive once.
Ah, got it. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #700
speed_phreak

Quote:
This is a very interesting revelation... I had a 1tb WD green (non AV) laying around when I bought my TiVo, so I immediately upgraded it with Comer's JMFS disk. Now, I have seen how capable I am at filling up that 1tb drive and just purchased a 2tb wd av-gp drive, but have yet to try to upgrade to it.

I am very concerned that I might not be able to further upgrade my already upgraded drive... I gotta send all my recordings to the PC, write down SP's, and start over? blah!!!

Anyone else tried this successfully? Comer?

TIA

Last edited by speed_phreak : 02-22-2011 at 11:37 PM.
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #701
peter888chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_phreak View Post
This is a very interesting revelation... I had a 1tb WD green (non AV) laying around when I bought my TiVo, so I immediately upgraded it with Comer's JMFS disk. Now, I have seen how capable I am at filling up that 1tb drive and just purchased a 2tb wd av-gp drive, but have yet to try to upgrade to it.

I am very concerned that I might not be able to further upgrade my already upgraded drive... I gotta send all my recordings to the PC, write down SP's, and start over? blah!!!

Anyone else tried this successfully? Comer?

TIA
Aside from having to wait several hours for the drives to copy, it couldn't hurt. Worse case after doing the copy/expand is you find it doesn't work. Then you put the 1TB back in. If you still have the original drive, upgrade from that - you lose the shows though.
peter888chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #702
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...That is why weaknees, dvrupgrade and dvr_dude on ebay don't sell anything above 2TB.
I noted just yesterday that Weaknees is still offering a 2TB+2TB setup for the Premiere.

I'm not interested.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #703
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I noted just yesterday that Weaknees is still offering a 2TB+2TB setup for the Premiere.

I'm not interested.
I don't think they offered that kit when I last looked....... $549, no thanks.

XL4 = 318 hrs HD
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #704
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Does this mean the below is no longer true?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Lastly - does doing this upgrade preclude me, in the future, from perhaps plugging in a DVR Extender for even more space? Or is that still an available option? Just wondering.
Yes again. The "plug and pray" ability to attach an eSATA drive is lost after any upgrade (although an expansion drive can be manually married/blessed using winMFS or MFSTools in the case of 1TB or smaller upgrades...using winMFS or MFSTools as the upgrade program.) Due to the current partition structure TiVo cannot handle anything more than 2TB's anyway.

Happy upgrading!

Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #705
richsadams

Quote:
Does this mean the below is no longer true?
That's a good question. AFAIK the partition structure hasn't changed. I'm almost certain it's not a plug and pray option...they would have had to have blessed the second drive. However it doesn't say what they are offering outside of "two 2TB drives". I don't know how they'd squeeze a 2nd drive inside so it must be an external.

So we need a guinea pig...er...volunteer to drop some coin and do a little diagnosis. Did you say you're up for it?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #706
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That's a good question. AFAIK the partition structure hasn't changed. I'm almost certain it's not a plug and pray option...they would have had to have blessed the second drive. However it doesn't say what they are offering outside of "two 2TB drives". I don't know how they'd squeeze a 2nd drive inside so it must be an external.
More info:

Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #707
speed_phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
No, sorry You can expand only once from stock drive. You can not expand an already expanded drive.
Doh... but you have to go pretty deep to find that.... here

This really should be a NOTE: in post #1, to warn people to plan their upgrades more carefully....
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #708
richsadams

Quote:
More info:

Skipped right over that I guess. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #709
wesbc

Well to report back on my Hitachi 2TB drive upgrade. Since upgrading the drive, I've had 3 instances where the Tivo would freeze and stop responding to the remote. Front panel amber light wouldn't even light up from button presses. First time it was recording 2 show and I had to unplug the unit. Other two time system rebooted itself one just recently while nothing was recording but I was watching something recorded.

This is disappointing. I'm not sure if this is drive related, or something else.

Question, if I need to swap drive, I should be able to use the same instruction here to copy from a 2TB to another 2TB without losing any show right. I would just skip the expand and supersize.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #710
richsadams

I had an odd incident tonight with my TiVo Premiere XL (upgraded w/2TB WD20EARS). At almost exactly 5:30 p.m. PST a recording I was watching froze. It didn't pixelate or anything just stopped as if I had hit pause. I hit play, pause, TiVo Central, etc. and saw the amber light on the front panel blink, but no activity. I waited it out a bit and it suddenly started playing again for a moment and then stopped again. About 45 seconds later it started playing again and responded to all commands as if nothing had ever happened.

I was aware of the time as the NBC Nightly News began recording at the same moment TiVo froze. When I went to play the NBC NN back it started, then macroblocked badly...garbled picture and sound and then started playing normally but the first minute or so of the recording was missing...exactly in sync with the freeze up.

I've no idea why that happened but I have seen something similar when this particular TiVo was stock. I know a corrupted signal and/or cable card problem can cause I/O error issues (it's even happened on our Series3) which can cause TiVo to crash. So I'm inclined to believe it's not the upgraded drive, but it's worth noting on this forum what we're seeing I think.

Hopefully it's a fluke and life will continue to be good.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #711
wesbc

Rich thanks for the insight. With my instances, when the Tivo froze, no button press of the remote is registered with the Tivo, no amber light blink on front panel. I tried to wait out the first instance but after about 2-3 min, I just unplugged. The other two instance, the Tivo froze, then within a 1min it starts playing for 5-10 sec, then froze again and auto reboot shortly after. Again no remote button press was registered. This is similar to instances on several thread I've read and those user have experienced the issue since last year so at least I know it's not related to any recent software update.

The Hitachi drive supports SATA3 which is up to 6Gbps. Of course that's backward compatible, but just not sure how Tivo handles it. I know someone else from another forum that is using this same drive for upgrade of their Tivo so hopefully he can shed some light for me.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #712
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I had an odd incident tonight with my TiVo Premiere XL (upgraded w/2TB WD20EARS). At almost exactly 5:30 p.m. PST a recording I was watching froze. ...

I've no idea why that happened but I have seen something similar when this particular TiVo was stock. I know a corrupted signal and/or cable card problem can cause I/O error issues (it's even happened on our Series3) which can cause TiVo to crash. So I'm inclined to believe it's not the upgraded drive, but it's worth noting on this forum what we're seeing I think.

Hopefully it's a fluke and life will continue to be good.
Keep trying to test/torture it. I can tell when mine is going to lock up and reboot when I get that non-responsiveness, audio/video pauses and manly slowness in the onscreen menus - with SD menus.

I had distorted colors and unplugged/reseated the HDMI cable. I haven't had another lock since that and temporarily unplugging the ethernet cable along with taking the WHS off the LAN, but I haven't tried hard to cause one. The loose HDMI cable leads me to believe that it could be yet another HDCP problem. Wanna bet that once again repeatedly processing the HDCP handshake is the major load?
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #713
JPS10

Searched this thread and elsewhere and was not able to find answers to these questions:

1) Is it possible to use jmfs to save an image of the original HDD for future use without copying it to a new drive to be installed in Premiere this time?

2) If I do open my Premiere and ever have a warranty issue, is there a way Tivo can tell it has been opened if I return it with original drive? I know that this would void warranty but is there a seal of sorts or can Tivo track hardware changes when unit connects to Tivo service?

Thanks
JPS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #714
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS10 View Post
Searched this thread and elsewhere and was not able to find answers to these questions:

1) Is it possible to use jmfs to save an image of the original HDD for future use without copying it to a new drive to be installed in Premiere this time?
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS10 View Post
2) If I do open my Premiere and ever have a warranty issue, is there a way Tivo can tell it has been opened if I return it with original drive? I know that this would void warranty but is there a seal of sorts or can Tivo track hardware changes when unit connects to Tivo service?
Not really. Series 1 units, maybe S2, had such a physical sticker. They just don't bother anymore. Obv. the non-stock drive would tip them off--but just save the original and pop it back in if you ever need service.

Caveat: Now, electronically...via the logs they have access to every time your TiVo "calls home", they can see that you have a non-stock drive. They just don't care. If you mention a drive upgrade, they of course have the option of not covering your warranty repair. Just don't mention it.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #715
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Keep trying to test/torture it. I can tell when mine is going to lock up and reboot when I get that non-responsiveness, audio/video pauses and manly slowness in the onscreen menus - with SD menus.

I had distorted colors and unplugged/reseated the HDMI cable. I haven't had another lock since that and temporarily unplugging the ethernet cable along with taking the WHS off the LAN, but I haven't tried hard to cause one. The loose HDMI cable leads me to believe that it could be yet another HDCP problem. Wanna bet that once again repeatedly processing the HDCP handshake is the major load?
Thanks, Rich.

Wrong thread...but...Guess what happened after I ran Kickstart 57?

I got "HDMI connection not permitted" audio out, audio on, video on "HDMI connection not permitted." Unplugged the HDMI cable. The audio stays on. Plug it in. Drops. "HDMI connection not permitted" Blip. Wash. Rinse Repeat.

Rerouted and replaced the HDMI cable. restarted the Premiere twice. Did a reset on the TV. Fought grief like a pet had died for about an hour.

Finally fixed it by pulling the plug on the TV.

Can we send a squad of A-10s to the lab that invented HDCP to keep people from using the equipment they paid for to view the content they paid for.

BTW, on the Kickstart 57, The S.M.A.R.T. test passed. Every other test I ran on that session failed. I'm not in the mood to try another session.
UVerse and OTA

Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #716
wireless200

Just upgraded my second Premiere with a WD20EARS. It went smoothly. Took about an hour or so to copy and it booted up the first time. Excellent!
wireless200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #717
richsadams

Quote:
Can we send a squad of A-10s to the lab that invented HDCP to keep people from using the equipment they paid for to view the content they paid for.
Sending Warthogs to the house of whomever came up with HDCP is one of the best ideas I've heard in ages. After that they can visit the inventor of copy protection.

Glad to hear things are good again!
Old 02-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #718
wesbc

So now it's the forth time my Tivo locked up and rebooted. This is while I was watching a recorded show and something else was recording. I had just paused a show and it wouldn't restart, no remote command was taking and then it rebooted.

So my question is, can I use the JMFS tool to copy this 2TB drive to another 2TB drive successfully? I shouldn't need to expand / supersize.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #719
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
So now it's the forth time my Tivo locked up and rebooted. This is while I was watching a recorded show and something else was recording. I had just paused a show and it wouldn't restart, no remote command was taking and then it rebooted.

So my question is, can I use the JMFS tool to copy this 2TB drive to another 2TB drive successfully? I shouldn't need to expand / supersize.
Probably. As long as the new drive is no smaller--and it's to the byte--the new drive must be at least as big as the one you're copying from. "2TB" drives can differ in exact usable size. Buying the exact model isn't even 100%, but is likely to work.

But you might consider a kickstart prior to trying a new drive. Search here for it. There's a code you can enter via the remote as TiVo is booting that will force TiVo to switch boot partitions. TiVo comes with two partitions where the OS and TiVo software live. When a new update comes out, it is built in the other partition, which then becomes the boot partition after the upgrade is put in place. This kickstart code forces that same behavior even without an upgrade. (NOTE: I'm not positive these codes still work on Premiere, but I would bet they do.)

My thought with the kickstart is that if it's data on the drive (part of TiVo's software, not shows) that is corrupted, the new one may have the same problem. This isn't very likely, though.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #720
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post

MFSCOPY on the JMFS tool or Live MFS or WinMFS for that matter will work, any Linux Live CD will do it with dd.

Code:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1024
(In from disk a, out to disk b)

BUT I'll bet you don't have a bad disk. Mine has done the freeze/reboot dance and I'm thinking the disk is OK. After I restarted to TV to clear HDCP confusion, my Premiere has stayed up but I've still gotten signs of impending failure with drops and slowdowns.

One suggestion so far has to been to see how solid the operation is when you keep the Ethernet cable unplugged as much as possible - with the SD menus. The HD menus will complain endlessly about no net access.
UVerse and OTA