TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #61
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
And did this omniscient TiVo rep give you a time frame, to expect WHEN it would come to TiVo Premiere units?

Welcome to TCF!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #62
Tony Chick

Looks like my Apple TV is out in the cold too due to Apples' "No Flash on iOS" edict. There may be a Roku in my future if TiVo doesn't come through.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #63
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

I just got off the phone with Amazon. This may have been mentioned already but the free videos are for PAID Prime members. Not available for students or moms with Free prime membership.

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #64
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's been mentioned already here, and it's mentioned rather prominently on all of their FAQ pages:

Quote:
What is Prime Instant Video?
Prime instant videos provide unlimited, commercial-free, instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows at no additional cost with a $79 annual Amazon Prime membership, which also includes fast shipping along with other benefits. Prime instant videos can be watched instantly on a Mac, PC and nearly 200 models of Internet-connected TVs, Blu-ray players and set-top-boxes that are compatible with Amazon Instant Video. All of the movies and TV shows are commercial-free and some are available in HD.

For more information on ways to watch Prime instant videos, click here.

You can try an Amazon Prime membership by starting a free trial (restrictions apply) at http://www.amazon.com/primevideos.

Prime instant videos require an Amazon Prime membership and are not included with the free shipping benefits provided by Amazon Mom, Amazon Student, or if you are a guest of an Amazon Prime member. Prime instant videos are only available to customers located in the United States. At this time, Prime instant videos are only available for streaming and cannot be downloaded to a TiVo box or the Unbox Player.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...einstantvideos
Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #65
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Not entirely true. What device did you try from?

Because I just connected to Amazon Video On Demand via my Sony Blu-Ray (it's a BDP-S570) and there's a new section for "Prime Instant Videos." I'm browsing them now, and each movie I've selected thus far shows an SD version and an HD version. (Clockwork Orange, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, and a few others.)

I select the HD version, confirm that the rental price is $0.00, it checks my connection, and a few seconds later, it starts to play the video on my 53" TV. Looks great.

Some titles don't have an HD version.

Only one title in my quick test showed a price for the HD version, and that was Dirty Harry.

hmmm- the blurb i saw on another forum said that and so i checked. I quickly just looked at "scooby doo wheres my mummy" (cause it was right there on the front page) and had some wording that it was 'also available in hd on my tv'- i assumed that it meant it wasn't available in HD via the prime thing- but sounds like i misinterpreted it.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #66
AlphaDelta

Seems bizarre that Amazon would put the TiVo logo (and a TiVo DVR) in that picture but then have the * not available note unless the intent is for it to be available in the future.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #67
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
No, if you look more closely, that image (and that ad) is talking about Amazon Video On Demand (it even mentions 90,000 titles.) That DOES work on TiVo... and has for years.

"Prime Instant" is a subset of that... a new add-on feature... and TiVo is the one device in the Amazon VOD-supported list that doesn't work with Prime Instant's ~5,000 titles. So that's why the asterisk is there.

These titles don't download, they stream, and that's apparently a compatibility issue with how TiVo's Amazon app works.

When you see it that way, you'll then realize, that perhaps the asterisk isn't meant to imply that Prime Instant is on it's way to TiVo anytime soon. It might never arrive. This is TiVo, after all -- they're not exactly known for being on-the-ball. The asterisk just lets us know that TiVo's compatibility with Amazon VOD isn't as complete as the other devices'.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #68
jdmass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
Seems bizarre that Amazon would put the TiVo logo (and a TiVo DVR) in that picture but then have the * not available note unless the intent is for it to be available in the future.
I think that page is simply showing devices that offer Amazon On-Demand. They had to add the asterisk for Tivo with the free prime intro so as to not mislead customers.

BTW, I'm an Amazon Prime member and have a Vizio TV with internet (as well as a Tivo) and last night tried a free Amazon movie on the Vizio. I thought the picture quality was quite good. I already have been using the Vizio Netflix app instead of the inferior Tivo app, so now, I guess I'll use Vizio for Amazon Prime, as well. (Although, unlike Netflix, the Amazon search capability on the Vizio is not as good).

It would be nice if tivo got it's act together and stayed up to date on features that others offer.
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #69
parzec
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
man oh man. I still love my tivo (2 premiers and 1 hd), but it pains me to see that tivo is pretty much the only box which could do amazon VOD but cant do this streaming. I hope they fix this soon, but I'd put this into the category of yet another ball that tivo has dropped. Streaming is vital and tivo is losing it.
My thoughts exactly -- once again Tivo seems to be wasting another opportunity and acting overly complacent by relying too much on their "core competency." instead of aggressively keeping up with innovation. Reminds me of some Pink Floyd lyrics: "No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" Tivo, don't let life pass you by.....
HR10-250 - Un-Subbed
parzec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #70
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I guess I'll check it out on my Roku while I wait for TiVo to get their act together...
Amazon just shipped my Roku player today, Prime of course. If TiVo is going to make an interface for Amazon Prime videos as awful as their Netflix interface I see no reason to wait.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #71
lafos

Kind of ironic. TiVo was one of the first, if not the first, platform for Amazon VOD a few years back.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #72
m_jonis

I wonder if it will be HD quality with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound? I know very little of Netflix content is this way. Just me, but I didn't fork out a few thousand for an HD TV and a TivoHD to watch non-HD/DD content. Of course, can't stream to the Tivo right now anyway, but it would be interesting if they DO stream HD with Dolby Digital sound.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #73
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Like what?
Doctor Who (e.g. the Key to Time season) for one. I had found some others yesterday but don't remember them at the moment.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #74
RangerOne
The Hub

Also Torchwood, Children of the earth. While there are a bunch of TV shows available in HD for Prime streaming, I can't find any movies. Of course, you could rent them. Also, there's a few titles that are not listed as HD but do play in HD (i.e. The Doctor Who special mattack cited). I've thrown some screen shots of this up on my blog listed below.

I can't find any Prime streaming content in 5.1 surround. However, if you turn on Dolby Pro Logic on your receiver you will get surround sound. Not as good as true Dolby Digital but it's better than stereo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
on my home theater and gadgets blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RangerOne : 02-23-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
RangerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #75
RangerOne
The Hub

To better answer m_jonis' question. The Amazon client on Roku (and other devices) does support Dolby Digital 5.1 when it streams. There's lots of shows you can buy or rent that are in HD and Dolby Digital 5.1. Unfortuantely, none of them appear to be available under prime's streaming.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #76
cubbyboy57

My $0.02

I have a ROKU and the Amazon Prime is a new item in the list (Search, HD Movie Rental, Movies, HD TV shows, TV Shows, Special Deals, Your Video Library, and Help). It shows without Prime the show would cost $1.99 and with it $0.00. My box does HD @ 720P (which is probably as good as the shows were originally shot in) and it looks great! So far nothing has streamed (watch 3 complete 1 hour tv shows) in less than HD. ROKU you don't get to choose it goes by whether the internet is fast enough.
cubbyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #77
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I just gave in and bought the 30 day Amazon Prime trial. I had it before. One item I bought yesterday showed up today. What are they trying to prove?

I'll stream to my computer to the AVR and HDTV and see how it works.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #78
djwilso

The Amazon Prime Streaming is working great on my Roku, although admittedly the selection is lacking. Hopefully that will change.

I have very low expectations that I'll ever see this feature on my TiVo original Series 3.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #79
morac
Cat God

Amazon on TiVo is very different than it is on other devices. It's more akin to downloading to a PC than streaming to a device.

That has some benefits such as better quality (bit rate) and 1080p/24 video as opposed to the 720p video for streaming. Up till now there, other than the short wait required to start watching on download, there were no negatives. Prime "free" streaming is the first negative.

On an unrelated note. I subscribed to Prime last year and apparently it auto renews itself since I just got billed $79 a few days ago.

That leads me to a possible loophole in the "free" streaming. You can get a refund on your prime purchase if you haven't used it since purchasing it. If they haven't updated their system to count free streaming as using it, you can get a refund as long as you don't use free 2 day shipping. I'd think Amazon would have considered this, but you never know.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #80
RangerOne
The Hub

TiVo apparently has committed to support Amazon Prime streaming on their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/anthony.deha...50090042665178

Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #81
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
TiVo apparently has committed to support Amazon Prime streaming on their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/anthony.deha...50090042665178
you have to logon to facebook to see that - any chance of copying the text here?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #82
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo

you have to logon to facebook to see that - any chance of copying the text here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo
TiVo is working with Amazon on this. No details regarding timing are available now, but we do plan to have this available in the future.
Maybe they are trying to get prime videos to be allowed for download to TiVo. Or maybe they will finally update the Amazon application. It's the only implementation of Amazon that I know of that doesn't let you see your video library from the TiVo so it needs updating any way (along with YouTube, Netflix, etc).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #83
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
I will try

Anthony's Profile ˇ TiVo's Profile
Anthony DeHartTiVo
Any news on if/when Tivo will support the new Amazon Prime Instant streaming service? And, just as importantly, will it be available on the Tivo HD or Series 3 platform?
Tuesday at 10:40am
Steve Lemke likes this..
MZ MegaZone Technologically I don't know of a reason why they couldn't support the streaming service just like the downloads on all three platforms (S3/HD/Premiere).

Hmm, check out http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/ontv - not that the TiVo logo is in ...the list of devices with instant support. Then note the asterisk and "*Prime instant videos are not currently available on TiVo devices." But it seems implied that they will be.See More
Tuesday at 12:51pm.Bill Blackwell When do we get this? Seems like a big miss not to have this at launch.
Tuesday at 1:16pm.MZ MegaZone I'm guessing it requires and update to the client on the TiVo so, at the least, it is tied to TiVo's update cycle.
Tuesday at 5:07pm.TiVo TiVo is working with Amazon on this. No details regarding timing are available now, but we do plan to have this available in the future.
Tuesday at 7:41pm ˇ 1 personLoading....Gabe Gagliano Please don't forget the Series3 folks!
12 hours ago ˇ 1 personLoading

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #84
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Maybe they are trying to get prime videos to be allowed for download to TiVo. Or maybe they will finally update the Amazon application. It's the only implementation of Amazon that I know of that doesn't let you see your video library from the TiVo so it needs updating any way (along with YouTube, Netflix, etc).
if it was my project to run I would be looking to come up with some framework that would allow BROWSING of either Netflix or Amazon for streaming titles.

I would think the current Tech would allow to add in Streaming Amazon titles to TiVo search and you get them but the TiVo search is just not the same kind of fun as say Netflix on a gaming console where you can browse various genres by moving rows of DVD box covers around
Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #85
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
God forbid you should actually have to log on somewhere to see content from there.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #86
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I used Amazon Prime instant videos to start watching the MI-5 series last night. Works great. Of course, that's on both my Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player and through my Panasonic 3D plasma display, using Viera Cast, not via a TiVo device.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #87
astrohip
Stuart F

My new TV (Samsung UN55C6800) is Internet enabled. I never thought I would use that feature, but I may have to actually read the manual and figure out how to turn it on. I have Prime, so I'd like to see how well this works.

I'm very happy with "TiVo and TV", and have never Netflix'ed or VOD or any of that stuff. But I'll at least check this out.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #88
jeremy3721

Another reason not to ever buy hardware expecting things to work in the future. No Hulu still and now I'm disappointed the Amazon prime video isn't included. I almost bought a second TiVo premiere last week assuming this service would work.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #89
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
God forbid you should actually have to log on somewhere to see content from there.

Some people don't like logging into Facebook, because once you do, you stay logged in when you visit other sites.

On these other sites, if there are "Like" buttons present, Facebook can track your habits and collect your web history.

I suppose if you don't mind giving away this information, then by all means, bow down to your Facebook overlords.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #90
Brainiac 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Some people don't like logging into Facebook, because once you do, you stay logged in when you visit other sites.
Not to mention, some people (gasp) don't have a Facebook account, and (double gasp) don't want one.
Brainiac 5 is offline   Reply With Quote