TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #7291
hoyty

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go get yourself an uninterruptable power supply for that TiVo.

I think either Staples or Best Buy has them on sale at the moment.
Agreed, very much so. Will do so today after shoveling the latest round of snow in MD.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #7292
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
Agreed, very much so. Will do so today after shoveling the latest round of snow in MD.
I'll try to send up some of our warm coastal breeze. : - )

(of course it's usually accompanied by rain)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #7293
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go get yourself an uninterruptable power supply for that TiVo.
+1. I have a Cyberpower UPS hooked up to a mine and it's been rock solid.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #7294
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Newegg has $10 off code on any hard drive, BTEKHHJ27, through 27 FEB.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #7295
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
I tried this code and it would not work on the WD10EVDS, so apparently, its only for certain drives. Do you have any more info on this code? Where did you find it?
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #7296
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
It's only for external hard drives.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #7297
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me.

I'm looking to upgrade our bedroom HDTivo from the original 160GB drive. Its just too small.

What do you guys think about a Seagate ST3500414CS (500GB) for only $33? That is from an Ebay seller who claims the drives are new OEM drives and guarantees them out of the box for 30 days.

I know, 1TB is so standard (and cheap) these days, but that 500GB Seagate is one of the quietest drives ever tested and in our bedroom, that is important.

I guess its either that Seagate, or one of the 1TB WD Green drives. I just don't know if I can justify doubling the price since we really don't use the bedroom Tivo near as much.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #7298
Thunderclap

I'm trying to backup my Tivo HD 160GB drive but WinMFS keeps saying it's Not a Tivo Drive. Backup failed! This is the original drive that came with the unit. I have Windows 7 x64 and I'm running WinMFS as Admin. Any ideas what's wrong?

DISREGARD: I booted into Safe Mode and that got it working.

Last edited by Thunderclap : 02-23-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Thunderclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #7299
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me.

I'm looking to upgrade our bedroom HDTivo from the original 160GB drive. Its just too small.

What do you guys think about a Seagate ST3500414CS (500GB) for only $33? That is from an Ebay seller who claims the drives are new OEM drives and guarantees them out of the box for 30 days.

I know, 1TB is so standard (and cheap) these days, but that 500GB Seagate is one of the quietest drives ever tested and in our bedroom, that is important.

I guess its either that Seagate, or one of the 1TB WD Green drives. I just don't know if I can justify doubling the price since we really don't use the bedroom Tivo near as much.
Bill, does this help on a wd10ears from Newegg? See my post #7285. Not sure it still works.

EMCKHJB26 was $10 off and free shipping to make it $54.99.

P.S. Picked my wife up from airport last night as she was in Atlanta Perimeter center area.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #7300
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I just - so far successfully - upgraded my #2 Original Series 3 OLED from the OEM 250GB Western Digital drive to a 1.5TB Western Digital WD15EVDS Green AV-GP drive using WinMFS to get the 1.35GB of space. WinMFS ran without error.

It did one stutter-lock up-reboot on the first boot but it's working. I guess I shouldn't push things*. At least the reboot proves it doesn't have the soft boot problem.

I'll let it burn in and post how it goes.

It's showing 213HD/1860SD hours.

It was at at an alarming 44C with the cover off but it's down to 42C now. I put the cover on but the fact that I'm holding the screws out shows how much confidence I have.

* I'm getting the impression that the slowdowns- reboots happen when the disk is swamped with requests. In this case maybe it was frantically indexing the new drive and checking for updated program info when I tried to play a saved video. The lesson is to let it breathe for a few minutes but see the next post.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-23-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #7301
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Has anybody who has put in a 2TB drive in a Premiere with Comer's JFS tool gotten the drive nearly filled up yet?

As I've posted my Premiere upgraded with a WD20EURS has started doing slowdowns-lock ups and reboots. I was blaming the heat but last night it died at a cool 32C. I'm thinking the drive is bad. (I happen to have yet another 2TB WD Green drive in my media NAS that slows writes to a crawl when it warms up.)

Maybe these AV drives are really the wrong choice for a Tivo?
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-23-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #7302
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Has anybody who has put in a 2TB drive in a Premiere with Comer's JFS tool gotten the drive nearly filled up yet?

As I've posted my Premiere upgraded with a WD20EURS has started doing slowdowns-lock ups and reboots. I was blaming the heat but last night it died at a cool 32C. I'm thinking the drive is bad. (I happen to have yet another 2TB WD Green drive in my media NAS that slows writes to a crawl when it warms up.)

Ours have WD20EARS in them, and yes, I assume they're full. We have TiVo suggestions on, so they should be full.

First S4: The HDUI is showing 49% (turned it on just to see that), which I assume does not show the suggestions. And our Suggestions folder shows 209 things. System Information shows temp of 35C on this one (it's vertical).

Second S4: Not sure about the % full on the HDUI (it's in the other room), but the suggestions on that one show 334 items.

Both are working fine.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #7303
richsadams

Quote:
I was blaming the heat but last night it died at a cool 32C. I'm thinking the drive is bad. (I happen to have yet another 2TB WD Green drive in my media NAS that slows writes to a crawl when it warms up.)

Wow...32c? Do you have it inside a refrigerator? I've never seen a TiVo drive run that cool...might have something to do with the problem, maybe not...but it just seems unusual. The only time I can get drives running that cool is inside a server farm.

Did you try running some of the Kickstarts?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Try disconnecting all of the inputs (cable/coax, broadband, etc...everything except the TV) and see how it goes. If it runs fine w/o anything connected it sounds like an I/O error correction issue...could be the signal or other input overload or it could just be a faulty drive.

FWIW I don't think a dedicated A/V drive is the problem as TiVo comes with A/V drives. Might just be a faulty drive. It happens.

Let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #7304
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
I tried this code and it would not work on the WD10EVDS, so apparently, its only for certain drives. Do you have any more info on this code? Where did you find it?
Quote:
NewEgg has code EMCKHHF224 for 10% off internal drives through 2/24/11.

I'm thinking of taking a chance on a Seagate ST32000542AS for $79.99 before the 10% discount to replace the WD in my Premiere, as well as chance on the the apes at NewEgg warehouse throwing my drive into a box. I have one that works.

Is that a bad idea?

I'm probably pushing my luck to think I'll get two that work, but I may have two 2TB WDs that have failed. Do any of these things work these days?
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 02-24-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #7305
bmal1

Everything I read in this thread and on other sites is that the Seagate drives are loud. I bought one and then exchanged it for a WD10EVDS which has been extremely quiet. I didn't want to take the chance with Seagate after researching, and I didn't want to risk having my wife ask me daily why she can hear the Tivo.
bmal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #7306
replaytv
Caught in a eddy

I see that a "magnetic tip is preferable" for the tool to open up the Tivo. I have always heard that you should not use any magnetic tools near a hard drive. Is this not true?
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #7307
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I see that a "magnetic tip is preferable" for the tool to open up the Tivo. I have always heard that you should not use any magnetic tools near a hard drive. Is this not true?
There's one screw on the hard drive's sled mounting bracket that's a little difficult to get a screw back into place, but it's really not that bad. (You'll see which one it is as soon as you go to remove it.) I've never had to use a magnetic driver to do it. Put in the other three screws first and the last one should drop into place fairly easily.

That said, hard drives are shielded well enough that a regular magnetic screwdriver won't do any harm. I've used them on computers I've built and shops use them during computer repairs all of the time. It takes a pretty heavy duty electromagnet to cause problems these days.

But if you want to play it safe, just use a regular, non-magnetic Torx driver and have a little patience.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #7308
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
But if you want to play it safe, just use a regular, non-magnetic Torx driver and have a little patience.

A torx-15 and my fingernail holds the screw on to get it into place.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #7309
gwehmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum...sorry it's under such frustrating circumstances. I know Fix bootpage can usually restore things for internal drives that were accidentally initialized in Windows Disk Management (as that's what gets corrupted), however I don't recall anyone doing that to an expansion drive. There is no boot page per say so I'm afraid there may not be much else you can do. I hope that's not the case and perhaps someone else will chime in.

The only thing I can think to do would be to reinstall your original TiVo drive and fire TiVo up. I don't know if you were using your eSATA drive with the original drive, but if so and the warning screen comes up that it can't find the external drive, go ahead with the divorce procedure (three thumbs down, etc.). Then connect the external drive and go through the add screens. When you connect the external drive it will automatically be reformatted. Then you may be able to go through the upgrade/bless (marry) procedure again to make things right.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.
I'm just now getting back to posting my results from my issue from 2/14 where I couldn't marry the WD My DVR to my previously upgraded internal hard drive on my Tivo HD. Rich, your advice was exactly what I needed. My original internal hard drive had never been married to the WD My DVR, so I put the original hard drive back into the Tivo and connected the WD My DVR and restarted the Tivo. It married the two successfully. I then took my upgraded internal hard drive (the one that I could not marry to the WD My DVR) and connected that & the My DVR to my desktop. I did this about a week ago and should have posted my results right away, but after running WinMFS, it might have seen that the My DVR was married to another hd, and either just warned me that it would no longer be married to that hd, or I actually had to run the divorce command in WinMFS (I'm not sure that's what the command is actually called, but it was one of the ones available under Tools). Once I ran MFSAdd it said that it was successful, and after placing the hd back into my tivo and adding the My DVR, everything is running beautifully!
In the end, it appears the issue was that I had initialized the My DVR in windows and that was keeping WinMFS from seeing it as a viable drive.
Thanks Rich for your help and suggestions!
gwehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #7310
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwehmann View Post
Rich, your advice was exactly what I needed.
If it's okay with you...I'm going to make a poster out of that part of your answer and hang it on my home office wall so I can refer to it when my wife questions my wisdom (it has happened).

Enjoy!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #7311
salboy

Just finished TiVoHD upgrade to WD10EVDS (Jan. 26, 2011 build date). Spent hours and hours trying to address Intellipark issue but wdidle3 would only hang (blinking cursor, no report of Intellipark setting - had to power down and reboot) no matter what switch I used (/d, /s300,/r). NOTE: DISCONNECT ALL OTHER DRIVES BEFORE MESSING WITH WDIDLE3. Confirmed AHCI disabled in BIOS (my Dell BIOS has two options, AHCI or ATA, and I confirmed it was set to ATA, but I tried it both ways many times). Booted to WinXP with only WD10EVDS connected and confirmed XP install could see the drive. Finally gave up on wdidle3 and proceeded with upgrade. TiVoHD booted fine and booted on soft re-boot - no hang, no crash. Fingers crossed Intellipark issue is no more.

The drive's full model number is WD10EVDS-63U8B1.
salboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #7312
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by salboy View Post
Just finished TiVoHD upgrade to WD10EVDS (Jan. 26, 2011 build date). TiVoHD booted fine and booted on soft re-boot - no hang, no crash. Fingers crossed Intellipark issue is no more.

The drive's full model number is WD10EVDS-63U8B1.
I think you're clear of IP.

~~~~~

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #7313
VSG

I am trying to do a TCD230040 hdd replacement....I have a winrar file of that ....i execute in to a fat32 drive and proceed with MFSlive....

backup -f 9999 -qso -/dev-hda | restore -s 64 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

but no workie?

What am I doing wrong?

Please and thank you!
VSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #7314
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG View Post
I am trying to do a TCD230040 hdd replacement....I have a winrar file of that ....i execute in to a fat32 drive and proceed with MFSlive....

but no workie?

What am I doing wrong?

Please and thank you!
Maybe because of the FAT32.

~~~~~

Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #7315
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by salboy View Post
Finally gave up on wdidle3 and proceeded with upgrade. TiVoHD booted fine and booted on soft re-boot - no hang, no crash. Fingers crossed Intellipark issue is no more.
Per numerous earlier posts, WD GP drives manufactured after September 15, 2010 (and earlier with WD GP A/V dedicated drives), the Intellipark setting no longer has to be tweaked. Thanks for the datapoint though and enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #7316
VSG

If not FAT32, then what?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #7317
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:

but no workie?

What am I doing wrong?

Please and thank you!
Please describe more in detail what you have in hand and what you're trying to do. What is the size of the new drive, and make and model?

You mention a winrar file, and yet the backup|restore line you quote takes an entire hard drive as source (the /dev/hda except you made a typo, i assume, and wrote "/dev-hda") to write to (restore -i -) a new/blank drive.

If the winrar archive contains an MFS backup of your original system, then this may work. Unpack the winrar file into it's original file, the backup image of a TCD230040. Then use that fixed file, wherever it resides**, as the input to the restore command.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #7318
VSG

Yes, I did mean /dev/hda..

What's this about restore -i - ?

I need an image for a broken 230040...which I already have....

The image is not from that box....

So...I formatted 1 drive to fat32 and executed the winrar file to expand onto a 80GB WD tivo drive....about 170 mb? from what I can recall...That's hooked up as hda..

Then another wd80gb Tivo drive hooked up via usb, hence the sdb..oops..I originally wrote hdd...

I do the shift+page up to see where it mounts it....
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #7319
unitron

Quote:

but no workie?

What am I doing wrong?

Please and thank you!

First of all, never use the -q switch, it just hides information from you.

You can hook up your original TiVo drive to your computer and do a truncated backup to a file that you store on your computer's hard drive, which is not a bad idea at all.

In order to do that you first have to mount the FAT32 partition.

Then you can use the restore command to go from that file to a new drive with which you are going to replace your original TiVo drive (and put the original on a shelf as another backup).

Or you can hook up to your computer both your original TiVo drive and the drive with which you intend to replace it, and do the backup pipe restore routine to go from Tivo drive to memory to new Tivo drive, leaving your computer's hard drive out of things entirely. In fact you can have your computer's hard drive disconnected from the computer, and probably should to prevent accidents.

I get the feeling that you're trying to do both at once.

If you're trying to go from Tivo drive to new Tivo drive:

Here's your command line:

Here's how it should read:

backup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hda | restore -s (probably something a lot bigger than 64) -pi - /dev/hdd

(take careful note of where the spaces are)

where old TiVo drive is hda and new TiVo drive is hdd

The -z switch doesn't seem to be necessary these days.

Instead of including the -x switch, you can run without it and make sure the new drive works and then go back and use the mfsadd command to expand the drive.

Of course if you want to save the shows you have recorded you'd start out

backup -Tao - /dev/hda

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #7320
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Yes, I did mean /dev/hda..

What's this about restore -i - ?

I need an image for a broken 230040...which I already have....

The image is not from that box....

So...I formatted 1 drive to fat32 and executed the winrar file to expand onto a 80GB WD tivo drive....about 170 mb? from what I can recall...That's hooked up as hda..

Then another wd80gb Tivo drive hooked up via usb, hence the sdb..oops..I originally wrote hdd...

I do the shift+page up to see where it mounts it....
You need to MOUNT the FAT32 drive that has the winrar expanded on it, something like below. The fdisk -l should show you the right device (which partition on the hda disk). The ls and find commands are to find the right path to your .bak file. After the restore finishes, the mfsinfo should confirm the new drive is now a valid TiVo drive.

mkdir /mnt/disk
fdisk -l
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/disk
ls -al /mnt/hda1
find /mnt/disk
restore -s 64 -xzpi /mnt/disk/PATH/TO/YOUR/tivo.bak /dev/sdb
mfsinfo /dev/sdb