Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Hints & Tips

I thought I'd begin a list of tips for the VM TiVo
  • Pressing CLEAR works as a shortcut for delete on most pages - most handy on the "my shows" page
  • Press SKIP >| to quickly jump to the top or bottom of long lists , e.g. My Shows
  • Channel up/down works as page up/down in lists
  • Press and hold TEXT switches your TV AV sources - that's how I flip between VM TiVo / TiVo S1 / DVD
  • Press and hold POWER button turn turn TV on/off - a short press makes TiVo go into standby
  • Press SLOW to toggle mini TV screen at top right
  • Resets the GUI if frozen on red ring (though I've never seen this luckily!)
    - Thumb Down - Thumb Up - Play - Play
  • The good old shortcuts still work - though it's "home" and not "TiVo" button:

Home Home : My recordings (now playing)
    Home 1 : Manage series links
    Home 2 : Planned recordings (todo list)
    Home 3 : Wishlists
    Home 4 : Search all TV
    Home 5 : Browse all TV
    Home 0 : full screen TV + pause ?
  • Whilst fast forwarding / rewinding pressing the skip forward 30sec or skip back buttons takes you to the next white bar (usually 10 mins) useful in catchup/ondemand which only have one fastforward /rewind speed.
  • Pressing UP while watching a recording, cycles the output through all the available video formats. e.g. 576p / 1080p
  • Pressing OK while watching Live TV or a recorded program brings up a small 3 line TV listing guide(screenshot)
    Use the directional buttons to navigate or type a channel number to jump to a different channel.
  • You can create your own folders (effectively):
    Auto-record Wish List searches appear in My Recordings as a folder for items which match the search.
    This works even for recordings which weren't recorded by the Wish List itself (read more #32)
  • If you press Play on a folder in My Recordings, it will play everything in the folder in sequence
    (date order, oldest first)
    - great for catching up on a whole series, or archiving shows overnight via scart.
    - this can also save you going into the folder if it only contains one item.
  • You can switch between tuners by pressing Info, then scrolling down to the bottom icons.
  • Now the Jump buttons (>|) skip forwards 30 seconds and backwards 8 seconds.
    If you want the s1 behaviour of skipping to the start or end of a recording, press and hold them.
    (They don't cycle, so you have to press the right one for the direction you want to go.)
  • In My Shows and Recordings/My Shows/Suggestions/Improve My Suggestions there is a list of every Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down.
    You can edit existing thumbs here too

Post your findings, and I'll keep this first post updated !

Last edited by mikerr : 10-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Filw

Discovered by accident - pressing "Slow" while in the menus toggles the existence of the mini screen top right.

That little screen always annoyed the hell out of me on the V+ box when trying hard NOT to watch something I was recording for later..
Filw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Filw

Just thought of another told to me by the installer...

Thumb Down - Thumb Up - Play - Play

is a little sequence to reset the GUI.

Apparently might be useful if the "red worm of death" wait screen appears. Not seen that yet myself but the box only arrived today!
Filw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Major dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
  • Pressing CLEAR works as a shortcut for delete on most pages - most handy on the "my shows" page
  • Press and hold TEXT switches your TV AV sources - that's how I flip between VM TiVo / TiVo S1 / DVD

That's a start - post your findings!
Have you tried the TiVo app yet?
Major dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Yes I have it on my ipad, but it just sits there saying no tivos found..
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=464056
mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
RichardJH

Quote:
[list]Pressing CLEAR works as a shortcut for delete on most pages - most handy on the "my shows" page
Just be careful too many presses or a long hold down and it will clear your "my shows" page.
Thank goodness for the undelete function
RichardJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #7
dwarfofpoison
dwarfofpoison

Quality post, much rather this type of theme rather than a virgin bashing.
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
frobozz

Whilst fast forwarding / rewinding pressing the skip forward 30sec or skip back buttons takes you to the next white bar. V useful in catchup/ondemand which only have one fastforward /rewind speed.
frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
CeeBeeUK

I had mapped my volume controls successfully, but my TV would not power up and down, then someone posted on another thread about the TV power button.

If you hold the tivo remote power button down for a couple of seconds, the light flashes green and the TV will power power cycle. A quick press and the the light flashes red and the tivo power cycles. In theory... my third box is currently be tested by the technician!
CeeBeeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #10
John McE

Wow! I've been keeping my old (deluxe!) peanut next to the new one, as it didn't appear TV on/off and AV input were included on the new one. Thanks for letting us know, as I would never have guessed either one.
John McE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #11
deshepherd

Quote:
Press and hold TEXT switches your TV AV sources - that's how I flip between VM TiVo / TiVo S1 / DVD
Yes ... works for me ... only problem is that my Samsung leaves the menu of source options on the screen so I have to dig out its remote to press "exit" to remove that!
deshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Found out the the good old shortcuts still work - though a bit different:

Home+Home : My recordings (now playing)
Home+1 : Manage series links
Home+2 : Planned recordings (todo list)
Home+3 : Wishlists
Home+4 : Search all TV
Home+5 : Browse all TV

Home+0 : does something strange - it flips to full screen and pauses ?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
deshepherd

Quote:
Found out the the good old shortcuts still work - though a bit different:

Home+0 : does something strange - it flips to full screen and pauses ?
Its confused because someone stole the opening animation
deshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
uksurfing72

Is there any reason not to stick TiVo in standby mode?
uksurfing72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
doctor.steve

Thanks Mikerr,

Was stuck on what the delete was - but it's "clear" of course

I know it's early days - but does anyone have a discrete for the power ?
I didn't power off my V+ box as I recall it used the same amount of power on as well as off - plus it was brighter off with all the lights on it.

One thing the good lady misses is the display on the front of the old box telling you how far thru a program you were. (fast key of play tells this now).
doctor.steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #16
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Another "obvious" one - the SKIP FORWARD button jumps to the end or start of menus and lists
e.g. View-upcoming-progs, searches
...and YouTube search is always at the bottom of searches...
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Brangdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksurfing72 View Post
Is there any reason not to stick TiVo in standby mode?
So far as I know, only the inconvenience of having to push a button to do it, and then push another button to wake it up.

I don't bother because the benefit is minimal. It stops asserting its output, which can help some TVs switch off, but since my TV doesn't have a problem switching off with active inputs this isn't a benefit for me.

The second thing Standby does is tell TiVo nobody is watching it. Series 1 TiVo would only record Suggestions if it thought nobody was lookng, so if you just switched the TV off and walked away, it would wait 30 minutes to be sure you'd gone. I don't know if VM TiVo is the same. Frankly, I'm not bothered about this anyway.

Some more tips:
  • You can switch between tuners by pressing Info, then scrolling down to the bottom icons.
  • Now the Jump buttons skip forwards 30 seconds and backwards 8 seconds. If you want the s1 behaviour of skipping to the start or end of a recording, press and hold them. (They don't cycle, so you have to press the right one for the direction you want to go.)
  • While watching live, OK brings up a mini-Guide for changing channel. In the mini-Guide (or TV Guide), Blue changes the channel filter.
  • Series 1 TiVo automatically adds a Thumbs Up when you create a Season Pass. VM Tivo doesn't. So if you've already set up your Series Links you might want to go through and Thumb them all, to help kick-start suggestions. You can Thumb new Series Links as you create them.
Some are in the manual, but not obvious if you don't read manuals. It took me 3 days to discover the first one, and it's made me so happy.

Last edited by Brangdon : 02-19-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added Thumbs Up on series links.
Brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
daz100

My TiVo automatically thumbs up my series linked shows.
daz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
big_dirk
uktivo.blogspot.com

me too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
check out my blog with videos, reviews and rumours about the new VM TiVo!
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Tony Hoyle
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz100 View Post
The S1 used to do that IIRC.

Just been through the discovery bar setting Series Links, etc. It does seem quite slow at that.. as slow as the S1! I had some taking a couple of minutes (with the jam donut on screen the whole time so I couldn't do anything).

You have to be really careful what channel it's picking.. It doesn't automatically pick HD, new series, or anything - I got into the habit of always selecting options so I could check/modify.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Zaichik

Quote:
Mine only thumbs up some series links. I've also noticed that, if I use the thumb buttons when I am playing back a recording, the thumbs don't appear unless I exit and restart the recording.
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
Brangdon

Quote:
Series 1 TiVos did that, but my VM TiVo hasn't on any of the series links I've checked. Maybe it depends on how they get added; I've been doing it from the search menu. Anyway, if it works sometimes and not other times then the tip remains. Something that worked for s1 shouldn't be relied upon for VM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #23
richw

Pressing Up whilst watching a recording pops up a box telling you the video format. However it seems to be the output format rather than source format as it says 1080i for a SD recording.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Technix

This one may be obvious one: pressing channel up or down when in a menu with a list takes you to the top or bottom option.
Technix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #25
Brangdon

If you press Play on a folder in My Recordings, it will play everything in the folder. This can save you going into the folder if it only contains one item.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #26
woobag

Bump.

Lots of useful info here, thanks everyone.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #27
Fatbloke

One nice addition that doesn't appear to be on here - if you reorganise your Season Passes, you can use channel up/down to leap to the next page. No need to scroll one at a time through 30-odd other season passes.

FB

1TB Tivo4. 320GB TiVo 6023 Tivoweb enabled. Sony KDL46D350 TV. Acer Revo 1610 running XBMC. BD. HDDVD. Netgem Iplayer DTV
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #28
Brangdon

My Planned Recordings does not include Suggestions. If you want to see what programmes TiVo intends to record on its own, look in Search & Browse/Browse All TV/TV/Suggestions. You can use this to check how TiVo is getting on (especially in the early days when few Suggestions have been recorded), and you can use the Thumbs buttons to approve or disapprove of what it is doing.

In My Shows and Recordings/My Shows/Suggestions/Improve My Suggestions there is a list of every Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down. This can also help diagnose problems with too few (or unwanted) Suggestions. (With s1 TiVo, Thumbs Down could easily kill off broad swatches of programme, and it was best to use it sparingly. TiVo responded better to the carrot than the stick. I don't know if this is still true for VM TiVo.)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
cwaring
VM Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brangdon View Post
My Planned Recordings does not include Suggestions. If you want to see what programmes TiVo intends to record on its own, look in Search & Browse/Browse All TV/TV/Suggestions. You can use this to check how TiVo is getting on (especially in the early days when few Suggestions have been recorded), and you can use the Thumbs buttons to approve or disapprove of what it is doing.
Another tip... I see that, at the bottom of this page is says 'Press Enter to review thumbs'. "Uh-oh!" I thought, "there's no 'enter' button." Then I remembered where i was on the S1 peanut and just pressed what is now labeled 'last channel'; and it worked

Quote:
In My Shows and Recordings/My Shows/Suggestions/Improve My Suggestions ...
I'm not seeing this screen, but perhaps that's because I don't have 'auto-record suggestions' switched on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with the new

Get
- TV Guide for Windows

cwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
cyril

Just like the series one, don't press right while re-prioritizing a big series link list in series link manager screen until you are 100% sure you are done. Otherwise it takes ages.

Best practice is to leave re-prioritizing to the last action of the day, as a 200 long list will probably take 15 minutes or more until Virgin and TiVo get round to speeding this up by making it a background task.