TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #61
SoKal5366

Thanks, David, I understand. Time is of the essence.

After using both WinMFS and JMFS, I agree that both are very easy to use. Kidos to Comer.

I like the stats I'm seeing from JMFS. When things are humming along, I see a nice transfer rate of 20+ kB/s. In the screen shot below, 26.148 MB/s. Nice, nice.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_2G...%2029%20PM.jpg
However, when JMFS (dd_recover?) comes across a sickly part of my disk, yeow. Just 2 kB/s...or even less. 2 kB/s is shown below, but I've even seen 256 bytes/s!

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_2G...%2018%20PM.jpg
I'll be curious to see what happens when I plug the 2TB copy back into my TiVo. What will the result be of the 21 errors and the (loss?) of 6,988 kB. Hmmm....

Last edited by SoKal5366 : 02-18-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added links below photos because the photos sometimes show up as broken references.
SoKal5366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #62
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoKal5366 View Post
I'll be curious to see what happens when I plug the 2TB copy back into my TiVo. What will the result be of the 21 errors and the (loss?) of 6,988 kB. Hmmm....
Despite my fears every minute I run a failing drive, I have seen drives run many hours without failing completely, so keep at it. Sometimes it seems like they just get extremely flaky due to running hotter. There's a relatively small amount of TiVo code somewhere, probably at the front of the drive; and there's got to be some sort of index or directory of your recordings somewhere; but the vast bulk of the data is actual video, and if that gets garbled it just means the garbled parts won't play properly (I think). Good luck.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #63
alyssa

Quote:
... To cut to short of it, alyssa has been h-o-u-n-d-i-n-g me to check out jmfs (shhh...don't tell her I said this). ...

Did ya *really* think I wouldn't check out the upgrade forum?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #64
dholzlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
... jmfs was originally written and the TiVo HD/HDXL you will likely need to use winMFS to Supersize, but that should only take a moment.
My recollection is that the TiVo HDXL is factory supersized so he shouldn't need to go back to WinMFS once jmfs does it's thing.
dholzlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #65
SoKal5366

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post

Did ya *really* think I wouldn't check out the upgrade forum?
[In my best John Wayne impersonation]
What's a pretty little thing like you doing here in these rough and tumble parts of the Upgrade Center.

LOL.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #66
Tivoitis

Quote:
So, my questions are......
  1. Tivoitis' instructions talk about the Tivo HD and do not explicitly mention the Tivo HD XL. I think I've read that others have had success with the HD XL, but I just want to confirm: Am I okay using jmfs with a Tivo HD XL? Specifically, for copying a stock 1TB to a new 2TB?
  2. Is it still true that I need to use WinMFS to to the supersize, or can I use jmfs's? Tivioitis' instructions clearly say to use WinMFS, but other posts say jmfs now works. I'm confused. What is the latest consensus?
  3. As I wrote in the thread that I originated, my HDD seems to be sick. Reading about jmfs's use of dd_rescue here, it seems like it might give me a better chance than WinMFS to copying my old programs off the sickly drive. What do you folks think?
I'm not aware of anyone trying with a Tivo HD XL yet, so I'm curious how it goes with your attempt. I don't know if you'll need to use WinMFS to turn on supersize (it may already be set that way with the THDXL), but you should NOT try the JMFS supersize option (it appears to only work for Premiere drives). Good luck and let us know how it all turns out!
Tivoitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #67
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Did anyone else just not bother with supersize? For another 30 hours or so of HD, on top of an already huge 290 hours, I figured why bother....I'll let TiVo have their space and make their ad money.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #68
Tivoitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Did anyone else just not bother with supersize? For another 30 hours or so of HD, on top of an already huge 290 hours, I figured why bother....I'll let TiVo have their space and make their ad money.
Based on what I've read, I think the smaller size Tivo's set aside a percentage of their space to be available for the Tivo ads, while the larger size Tivo's just have a specific amount of space set aside, so I think the supersize option is just to switch between the percentage method and the specific amount method. Anyone know if my thinking is correct?

In any case, I wanted as much space as possible, so I turned it on for both of my upgrades. I know there are still Tivo ads rotating through my THD's, so I don't think they were prevented from claiming any of that ad revenue (other than the fact that I rarely click through and watch any of it).
Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #69
defucius

another success here with a WD20EARS.

I replaced an already expanded 500G drive in a tivo HD. The 4 year old 500 drive was failing because of an accidental movement and a sudden loss of power to the tivo.

The 500G drive was not supersized. So I first super sized the drive with winmfs. The rest of the upgrading process was as smooth as it can be following the instructions.

One thing to note is that HDDSCAN could not change the AAM setting when the drive is connected through the SATA interface. It was due to the nforce sata/ide chipset of the motherboard. I reconnected the drive through usb and HDDSCAN happily changed the AAM setting.
defucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #70
jdsnov73

I just did the disc copy and expand using JMFS. I am trying to Supersize it with Winmfs.

I downloaded the winmfs beta 9.3. When I run it, I select "file" in the upper toolbar, then "select drive" and a new window opens for A drive and B drive. No info shows up when I had both the original drive and the new drive hooked up. I removed the old drive, and still do not get a drive to show up.

Am I doing something totally wrong? Am I using the wrong winmfs program to do the Supersize?

Thanks
jdsnov73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #71
defucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I just did the disc copy and expand using JMFS. I am trying to Supersize it with Winmfs.

I downloaded the winmfs beta 9.3. When I run it, I select "file" in the upper toolbar, then "select drive" and a new window opens for A drive and B drive. No info shows up when I had both the original drive and the new drive hooked up. I removed the old drive, and still do not get a drive to show up.

Am I doing something totally wrong? Am I using the wrong winmfs program to do the Supersize?

Thanks
I did not remember anything confusing when supersizing. Are you sure your drive is properly connected? Can windows see the drive properly? try run windows disc manager and see if you can see it. I'd try connect using a USB kit to see if it make any difference.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #72
Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I am trying to Supersize it with Winmfs.

No info shows up when I had both the original drive and the new drive hooked up. I removed the old drive, and still do not get a drive to show up.

Thanks
I had the same probelm and found I had to copy WinMFS to my computer's hard drive (not run off a CD), and then right-click the WinMFS executable and choose "run as administrator". Then it showed me the connected drives.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #73
jdsnov73

It's a 2TB drive. Windows disk management shows this as Disk 2, "unknown" 1863.02GB, Not Initialized.

I have it hooked to sata straight to the motherboard.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #74
jdsnov73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
I had the same probelm and found I had to copy WinMFS to my computer's hard drive (not run off a CD), and then right-click the WinMFS executable and choose "run as administrator". Then it showed me the connected drives.

Beautiful! Thanks so much!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #75
jdsnov73

Everything is up and running great! My external Tivo drive crashed on me a few months ago, so I have been getting all sorts of delete messages when trying to schedule new recordings. With 318 hours of HD, I am SET!

Thanks to those who figured this out, and Wulf for your quick answer to my question.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #76
SoKal5366

JMFS worked great for Tivo HD XL to rescue sickly 1TB -> 2TB

Tivoitis, JMFS worked great for my TiVo HD XL. dd_rescue was really working hard to rescue all of my sickly 1TB disk. I let it run for 2 days. It was still on the "splitting pass," and slowly whittling down 29 MB to 22 MB to 16 MB, when I finally decided to pull the plug. This is what the screen showed when I did a hard reset on the PC. (It wasn't responding to Control-C, so I just had do a hard reset.)
I hoped that JMFS/dd_rescue's copy of 99.9985% of the 1TB was good enough, and that the last 0.0015% wasn't critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoitis View Post
I'm not aware of anyone trying with a Tivo HD XL yet, so I'm curious how it goes with your attempt. I don't know if you'll need to use WinMFS to turn on supersize (it may already be set that way with the THDXL), but you should NOT try the JMFS supersize option (it appears to only work for Premiere drives). Good luck and let us know how it all turns out!
To answer your question, I followed your instructions in http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179, assuming they would apply to the TiVo HD XL. This included not using JMFS to do the supersize, and using WinMFS to do it. I plugged the drive in, and it worked.
(Using WinMFS to turn on supersize was weird. Select the drive. Turn on supersize. IIRC, it gives you a confirmation. But it doesn't seem like it does anything. I closed WinMFS. Put the 2TB in the TiVo. Well, it shows 318 hours of HD. I guess it did do something.)

I've been using the TiVo all day today, and it's been working great. It's even played programs perfectly, that before had caused the TiVo to reset when played from the sickly 1TB. Except in one case. I was playing a previously recorded program copied from the 1TB, and at the very end of a watching it, the TiVo hung and then reset. Shoot. Hmmm...was this from a glitch in the previous recorded program, or because of the 16MB that didn't get copied over???

I hope to gain confidence in the 2TB copy in the weeks to come.

If the 2TB gives me troubles--especially with newly recorded programs--I may run the Kickstarts to test and repair(?) the 2TB. Given that I've had one reset, I'm still a little weary of the health of the image on the 2TB given that 16MB of the 1TB did not copy.

Any thoughts are welcome. Anyone else been through this??? Anyone else as crazy as I am?

Last edited by SoKal5366 : 04-18-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Removed service number from screen shot.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #77
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Are all Series 2 Tivo hard drives interchangeable?

Pardon me if this question has been all ready answered on this forum, or if I am posting this in the wrong place. I just joined and am learning the 'ropes'. And did look around for a while and didn't find any answer for this particular question.

I have over 20 Series 1 and 2 Tivos, and some of them have lifetime, but most don't. Can I move the hard drives from Tivo branded Series 2 Tivos from one to another so I can have all 80 gig drives in lifetime machines? Mostly the 80 gig drives are in Dual tuner models without lifetime. And I want to move them to single tuner machines. It is a shame to make the Dual tuner have a smaller hard drive, but there is not much demand for a Dual Tuner without lifetime.
I don't know anything about Linux or whatever you guys are talking about to work on a hard drive out of the Tivo box. I have moved one hard drive from a Tivo that was exactly like the one that I moved it to, and it works great. The one that I moved it to had lifetime and the hard drive had died.
I don't need a 1 terabit drive, or really anything bigger than 80 gig. I keep almost no shows, so I just delete right after watching, so no need for large hard drive.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #78
Tivoitis

Quote:
I've been using the TiVo all day today, and it's been working great. It's even played programs perfectly, that before had caused the TiVo to reset when played from the sickly 1TB. Except in one case. I was playing a previously recorded program copied from the 1TB, and at the very end of a watching it, the TiVo hung and then reset. Shoot. Hmmm...was this from a glitch in the previous recorded program, or because of the 16MB that didn't get copied over???

Any thoughts are welcome. Anyone else been through this??? Anyone else as crazy as I am?
Well that looks pretty good to me. If the show that caused the reset isn't terribly important to you, I'd just delete it. What I did to gain more confidence in my THD's was to record shows on both tuners almost continually during the day (when I'd normally not be recording anything) until I completely filled the drive up and shows were beginning to be auto-deleted.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #79
SoKal5366

Quote:
Well that looks pretty good to me.
Thanks.

Quote:
What I did to gain more confidence in my THD's was to record shows on both tuners almost continually during the day (when I'd normally not be recording anything) until I completely filled the drive up and shows were beginning to be auto-deleted.
I think that's a great idea for gaining confidence in a newly built drive. Thanks, Tivoitis!

Quote:
Well that looks pretty good to me. If the show that caused the reset isn't terribly important to you, I'd just delete it.
Fortunately, that show wasn't important to me, so I deleted it right away.

Been using the new 2TB most of today, too, and no resets. Slowly building confidence....
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #80
skunkape

success!

I followed this guide and was able to upgrade my tivohd with a 2tb drive. Thanks for all the info! I'm so happy to have a tivo that I can finally fully utilize. That 21 hour stuff was for the birds, Now I've got 318 hours!!! Woohoo!
skunkape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #81
alyssa

SoKal,
you may want to remove your Service Number from your post in the system information screen.
Glad it worked out & you were able to save your shows.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #82
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Easy way to do that--turn on suggestions and go into the thumbs up/down section and rate a bunch of shows.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #83
peter888chan

Upgrade process worked just fine going from a 1TB WinMFS expanded drive to a 2TB Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 drive with these instructions. Hardest part was just waiting for all the data to get copied over. Didn't bother with the Supersize though.
peter888chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #84
defucius

My tivo HD is stuck on "please wait, powering up" now. Apparently, Tivo pushed an update last night. I suspect it has being powering up since then. Anybody else having the same problem?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #85
Tivoitis

I've got 11.0k-01-2-652 on my two THD's now ... never even noticed that they had upgraded/rebooted. They seems to be operating just fine.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #86
defucius

well, i just pull the plug on it (been pulling the tv plug trying to reboot the tivo earlier and it finally boot up. But it lost all sound. doing a software reboot now.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #87
defucius

another update: the soft-reboot failed, again, but hard reboot fixed the sound this time. I wonder if this update made it necessary to disable the IntelliPark on the WD green drives again.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #88
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by defucius View Post
I wonder if this update made it necessary to disable the IntelliPark on the WD green drives again.
I doubt it. If it had you probably would have never been able to boot up. Did you try another menu restart? If that fails, it's possible the Intellipark feature may need to be adjusted. When was your hard drive manufactured?

Over the years updates have caused a few TiVo's to hang, nothing unusual. The audio issue you encountered sounds more like an HDMI/HDCP handshake snag (also cured with reboots).

Glad to hear all is well.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #89
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Easiest way to fill up your drive is to leave TiVo Suggestions ON. Click a few thumbs up/down on what it records, and over time what it finds for you will be more to your liking. And the Suggestions folder is essentially "free space"--it's the first thing removed when a new (requested) recording is made.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #90
Doit2it

I'm so happy I found this thread!

My TivoHD has been randomly rebooting more and more frequently. I ordered a WD20EARS from Amazon. A day later I had a reboot that got stuck on "please wait, powering up". I opened it up and, since it's only been open once for a 750Gb upgrade, it was full of dust. A few blasts of canned air, a mushroom cloud of dust, and a coughing fit later I put her back together and no reboots in the past 2 days. Never underestimate a good cleaning. Scaring the dust bunnies away fixed my issue. Of course I'm still doing the upgrade when my 2Tb drive arrives. 318 hours beats 116 every day.

Thanks to all who have pioneered the JMFS process for TivoHD.
I'll let you know how my upgrade goes when my drive arrives!

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote