TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #1081
epstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
This is a known issue with the original S3 units. Usually manifests when you're playing something that is 1280 x just under 720, i.e. a cropped widescreen video encode. Someone once told me there was some PAR/DAR settings you can embedded in the file to fix the issue, but I wonder if he had a Tivo HD rather than an S3. I could never get it to work myself. Sticking to more standard resolutions works.
Rdian06,

I was using 960x540, which is apparently considered one of the standard resolutions for Apple TV ... but (sadly) Apple TV won't play the .srt subtitles files.

I used the pyTivo part of pyTivoX to pull the files to my S3, and they played fine!

It's just the Streambaby method that causes the problem ...

I tried the various ImTOO HD Video Converter 6 "Zoom" options and found they all produce odd Streambaby behavior when I use ImTOO's H.264 codec at 960x540 and 30fps (which I use so that the subtitles stay in sync). I suspect PAR/DAR has something to do with it, but none of these files (as far as I can tell by inspecting them in QuickTime Player) uses anything but 1:1 PAR. My previous comments about non-1:1 PAR seem to have been off the mark. I could investigate this further, but given that the problem is limited to streaming (rather than pulling) the files to the S3 and doesn't affect my other, newer TiVo units, I'm not sure what could really be gained by doing so.

Thanks for your insights ...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #1082
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksujeff99 View Post
All of the HD videos I pull using pyTiVox play with a resolution of 480p. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that's causing my 720 and 1080 videos' resolution to be downgraded?
I'm having this same problem. The OP seems to have fixed it by upgrading to the 1.4 beta, but that didn't fix it for me. I'm running 1.4.1 on OSX 10.6.6. If I transfer a 720p file to my S3 box, it plays at the correct resolution. But when I transfer that same file to my Premiere, it plays at 480p. Any ideas?

Thanks!
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #1083
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I'm having this same problem. The OP seems to have fixed it by upgrading to the 1.4 beta, but that didn't fix it for me. I'm running 1.4.1 on OSX 10.6.6. If I transfer a 720p file to my S3 box, it plays at the correct resolution. But when I transfer that same file to my Premiere, it plays at 480p. Any ideas?

Thanks!
I tried transferring a 720p video to the S3 first, and then transfer it from the S3 to the Premiere instead of going directly from the Mac to the Premiere. It didn't seem to make a difference. It plays at 720p on the S3 and 480p on the Premiere. This is driving me nuts.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #1084
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

mabrandt (aka mbrndt), please don't double post between here and the pyTivo forum. I've answered you there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #1085
mabrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
mabrandt (aka mbrndt), please don't double post between here and the pyTivo forum. I've answered you there.
Sorry. I've deleted it here, but kept it on the pyTivo forum.

P.S. Because I have fewer than 5 posts, I'm not allowed to include your URL. Interested readers are referred to your original.
mabrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #1086
ba2991

Help need setting up pyTiVoX

Hi All. Just installed pyTiVoX and I can't see the files on my TV.

I opened Music, Photos, Showcase and scroll down to a folder called pyTivoX - Macintosh.local I then press Select and wait for 5/6 minutes and then get a error message saying. HTTP failure. (HTTP connection error: 0x50005).

I am clicking the green tick..

There are no files in the Now Play List.

Under Preferences both Streamboy and pyTivo are enabled.

I have a good connection with my modem and media box

Mac 10.6.6
Wireless to TiVo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-03-07 at 8.29.42 PM.jpg (43.1 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by ba2991 : 03-07-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Added last to lines
ba2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #1087
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba2991 View Post
Here's a shot in the dark. Get rid of special characters in directory names. Why does the user name have an apostrophe in it?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #1088
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Here's a shot in the dark. Get rid of special characters in directory names. Why does the user name have an apostrophe in it?
Hi and thanks for your impute unfortunately it has changed anything still unable to see the movies, etc

Thanks ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 4.31.56 PM.jpg (38.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #1089
richsadams

Quote:
Hi and thanks for your impute unfortunately it has changed anything still unable to see the movies, etc

Thanks ...
Okay...another shot in the dark...like the directions say, are you clicking "Apply" (the big green checkmark button) each time you add or update anything? I've found you can actually do all sorts of stuff, but until you click the "Apply" button, nothing takes. You probably are, but it was just a thought.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #1090
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Okay...another shot in the dark...like the directions say, are you clicking "Apply" (the big green checkmark button) each time you add or update anything? I've found you can actually do all sorts of stuff, but until you click the "Apply" button, nothing takes. You probably are, but it was just a thought.
Hi and thanks for your impute.
Again still doesn't work.

The message that i'm getting on the screen is:

CARN'T RUN
An error occurred while running the application.
HTTP failure.
(HTTP connection error: 0x50005)

- TiVo takes about 8 minuets to give me the above error message.
- To run it again to see if it has fixed I have to go back to the mac computer and click the green tick again otherwise the link vanishes in the list, Music, Photos, Showcase.

Cheers

Last edited by ba2991 : 03-08-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #1091
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hello again
I have just notice something that may be causing the problem and was wondering if anyone else can help.
When I open pyTiVoX and click the blue + button to add the folder containing the movies to view on my TV my PyTivoX screen excepts the folder but when i view the same folder the movies inside the folder aren't highlighted dose that mean that Tivo can't see the movies inside that folder.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 8.45.50 PM.jpg (37.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 8.44.34 PM.png (76.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #1092
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:

I opened Music, Photos, Showcase...
Is "My Share" in the normal Now Playing List? Create a more descriptive name for your video folder than the default "My Share" Does it show up in the Now Playing List?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #1093
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Is "My Share" in the normal Now Playing List? Create a more descriptive name for your video folder than the default "My Share" Does it show up in the Now Playing List?
No it doesn't. Never had anything in Now Play List.

In Music, Photo's and Showcase I get.

- pyTivoX - colin-scarfe-computer.local

Cheers
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #1094
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Okay, since you're still having problems, let me be even more explicit about what I consider to be a "special character".

Use any of the following 62 characters, and only those characters, in your directory names

A-Z
a-z
0-9

Notice, in particular, that a "space" or " " character is not on my list, whereas it is in your directory names.

Yes I know this is very pedantic. But sometimes computers (or, to be more precise, sloppily written computer programs) are very pedantic about such things. IIRC I had a lot of problems with KMTTG until I simplified my directory structure. I wound up creating "links" to work around names with special characters, but I hesitate to mention that because it only opens up the question of what is a link.

Edit: use the same rules for "Share Name". Get it working without a space in the share name, then experiment to your heart's content in terms of making it more pleasant in appearance.

Last edited by Phantom Gremlin : 03-09-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added comments about share names
Old 03-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #1095
ba2991

Quote:
Okay, since you're still having problems, let me be even more explicit about what I consider to be a "special character".

Use any of the following 62 characters, and only those characters, in your directory names

A-Z
a-z
0-9

Notice, in particular, that a "space" or " " character is not on my list, whereas it is in your directory names.

Yes I know this is very pedantic. But sometimes computers (or, to be more precise, sloppily written computer programs) are very pedantic about such things. IIRC I had a lot of problems with KMTTG until I simplified my directory structure. I wound up creating "links" to work around names with special characters, but I hesitate to mention that because it only opens up the question of what is a link.

Edit: use the same rules for "Share Name". Get it working without a space in the share name, then experiment to your heart's content in terms of making it more pleasant in appearance.
Thanks for you reply

I have change the name and it still isn't working

I have upload two screen shots. you can see that from pyTivoX screen that the file rick.avi isn't highlighted.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 5.29.10 PM.png (36.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 5.28.56 PM.jpg (37.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #1096
ba2991

Quote:
Thanks for you reply

I have change the name and it still isn't working

I have upload two screen shots. you can see that from pyTivoX screen that the file rick.avi isn't highlighted.

Cheers
Also I can only see my mac from Music,photos & Showcase screen. the file in question comes up as - pyTivoX-Colin-scarfes-Computer.Local
Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #1097
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
No It Doesn't only in Music,Photo,Showcase
Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #1098
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Mac 10.6.6
Wireless to TiVo
Okay, maybe you're having some sort of installation or network problems.

Please tell me the exact URL from where you obtained your version of pyTiVoX. I haven't grabbed a copy in a year or two, but I will get your version, install in a 10.6.6 system, and see what results I get.

BTW a year or so ago I had a flurry of activity where I did all this sort of thing, i.e. download from Tivo, upload back to TiVo, etc.

But then little things would go wrong, and it just became too tedious to keep doing it. E.g. my cable provider decided to disallow downloading of all but the network channels, or KMTTG would only download on about every other attempt.

I can use this as an excuse to reacquaint myself with this software.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #1099
ba2991

Quote:
Okay, maybe you're having some sort of installation or network problems.

Please tell me the exact URL from where you obtained your version of pyTiVoX. I haven't grabbed a copy in a year or two, but I will get your version, install in a 10.6.6 system, and see what results I get.

BTW a year or so ago I had a flurry of activity where I did all this sort of thing, i.e. download from Tivo, upload back to TiVo, etc.

But then little things would go wrong, and it just became too tedious to keep doing it. E.g. my cable provider decided to disallow downloading of all but the network channels, or KMTTG would only download on about every other attempt.

I can use this as an excuse to reacquaint myself with this software.
Hi again I sent it but was sure if it went or not here it is again

http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/dow...yTivoX-1.3.dmg
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #1100
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Hi again I sent it but was sure if it went or not here it is again

http://code.google.com/p/pytivox/dow...yTivoX-1.3.dmg
Hmm. That software is from 2009, it's what I grabbed a while ago. So it doesn't seem to be very actively developed. Still, if it works, .... why not?!

I will try both the 1.3 version and the beta from September of last year. I'll let you know if and how well they work in a 10.6.6. system.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #1101
ba2991

Quote:
Hmm. That software is from 2009, it's what I grabbed a while ago. So it doesn't seem to be very actively developed. Still, if it works, .... why not?!

I will try both the 1.3 version and the beta from September of last year. I'll let you know if and how well they work in a 10.6.6. system.
Thanks again
Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #1102
ba2991

Quote:
Thanks again
Hello Phantom Gremlin.
Was chatting to the kid next door about networking and the issue I am having with pyTiVo and the smart arse said, sounds like a fire wall issue. It is the fire wall that has been blocking the transfer, sorry but I wasn't aware I had a fire wall on this computer didn't think a apple computer needed one.
But I am still getting an error message, as follows

-Music - Photos - Showcase
-pyTiVo-ColinScarfesComputer.local
-Rick
Then I press the Select button on the remote and get the following message:
ERROR: Oxffff
and thats as fare as I can get

Again sorry about the OS/10 firewall but really didn't think I had one. If I get this program up and running the next question I will be asking someone for help with is how to keep the firewall looked but allowing pyTiVo to transmit without any hassles.

Cheers
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-12 at 8.29.12 PM.png (108.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-12 at 8.29.33 PM.png (74.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by ba2991 : 03-12-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Text
Old 03-12-2011, 03:36 AM   #1103
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Hello Phantom Gremlin.
Was chatting to the kid next door about networking and the issue I am having with pyTiVo and the smart arse said, sounds like a fire wall issue. It is the fire wall that has been blocking the transfer, sorry but I wasn't aware I had a fire wall on this computer didn't think a apple computer needed one.
But I am still getting an error message, as follows

-Music - Photos - Showcase
-pyTiVo-ColinScarfesComputer.local
-Rick
Then I press the Select button on the remote and get the following message:
ERROR: Oxffff
and thats as fare as I can get

Again sorry about the OS/10 firewall but really didn't think I had one. If I get this program up and running the next question I will be asking someone for help with is how to allow keep the firewall looked but allow pyTiVo to transmit without any hassles.

Cheers
Colin
If you didn't think you needed a firewall, then why'd you turn it on? (It's off my default.)

And why would you want to turn it back on?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #1104
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
If you didn't think you needed a firewall, then why'd you turn it on? (It's off my default.)

And why would you want to turn it back on?
Hi
The firewall must of been turned on when I purchased the computer. The reason why I purchased this machine was purely for security reasons.

Cheers
Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #1105
Rdian06

Quote:
Hi
The firewall must of been turned on when I purchased the computer. The reason why I purchased this machine was purely for security reasons.

Cheers
How is your Mac connected to your network? Wired or wireless? Do you have VMware Fusion or Parallels installed to run Windows virtual machines?

It sounds like you might be having a multiple IP address problem where the Tivo is announcing itself on an IP address that the Tivo isn't capable of reaching. This assumes you switched off the firewall correctly (though I thought pyTivoX took care of adding an exception rule to the firewall to allow it to function correctly.)

From another computer on your network, try to connect to pyTivoX using a web browser by entering:

http://<pyTivoX Mac IP address>:9032

Replace <pyTivoX Mac IP address> with your Mac's IP address. Probably something like 10.0.0.100 or 192.168.1.100

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #1106
ba2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
How is your Mac connected to your network? Wired or wireless? Do you have VMware Fusion or Parallels installed to run Windows virtual machines?

It sounds like you might be having a multiple IP address problem where the Tivo is announcing itself on an IP address that the Tivo isn't capable of reaching. This assumes you switched off the firewall correctly (though I thought pyTivoX took care of adding an exception rule to the firewall to allow it to function correctly.)

From another computer on your network, try to connect to pyTivoX using a web browser by entering:

http://<pyTivoX Mac IP address>:9032

Replace <pyTivoX Mac IP address> with your Mac's IP address. Probably something like 10.0.0.100 or 192.168.1.100
Hi and thanks for you're reply.
Well, after wasting many hours of my time with this program. I have been informed that I need to purchase a $99 subscription to activate something so I can view my media files on my TV. When I purchased the unit nothing was said about this and from memory didn't see anything about it when setting it up. I have decided to wait for a promotion's offer to be announced because I real don't what to part with more money on this devise, no guarantee that it will work anyway.
Thanks guy's for your help.
Cheers
Old 03-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #1107
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
$99 for what? Huh?

That's not true at all.

I use PyTiVoX to transfer (or stream) content from my Mac to my TiVo, all the time. Haven't paid "$99" extra for anything in order to do this.

You're getting wrong info.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #1108
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Well, after wasting many hours of my time with this program. I have been informed that I need to purchase a $99 subscription to activate something so I can view my media files on my TV.
what?

Far be it from me to presume I know more than anyone else, but if you have any modern TiVo and you have some sort of subscription for it (monthly to lifetime and everything in between), you should easily be able to transfer files from your Mac to your TiVo and back again (assuming they are on the same network).

Clearly the "easy" part isn't working yet, but it's not for lack of any parts, paid or otherwise.

the answer will be simple; we just have to figure out what you are doing wrong.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #1109
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Let's start from the beginning. ba2991, is your TiVo subscribed, set up as a working TIVo... with a current TiVo subscription?

My gut tells me it's not, and what you're labeling "$99 extra" is not "extra" at all, but a required component of getting that TiVo working *at all.* The streaming of media files from your computer to the TiVo is something you can do after all the other required ingredients are in place.

Now, if ALL you want to do is stream media from your computer to the TV, then you bought the wrong device. And looking for help with pyTiVoX, with regards to a computer you're not very savvy working with, is kind of a waste of time.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #1110
Rdian06

Quote:
Well, after wasting many hours of my time with this program. I have been informed that I need to purchase a $99 subscription to activate something so I can view my media files on my TV. When I purchased the unit nothing was said about this and from memory didn't see anything about it when setting it up. I have decided to wait for a promotion's offer to be announced because I real don't what to part with more money on this devise, no guarantee that it will work anyway.
Thanks guy's for your help.
Cheers
Ah. I take it you live in Australia ba2991?

And you're talking about the $99 fee to activate the Home Networking Package (including Tivo Desktop Plus) for AUS Tivos. See:

https://shop.mytivo.com.au/online/ra...orking-package

In the US, the Home Networking features are included with the Tivo service. Tivo does charge us $25 for the Tivo Desktop Plus Windows software, but streaming to and from the computer is of course usable without that software.

Lighten up guys.

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote