TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #7831
akc

Baltimore City Comcast: Install today, any advice?

Any advice from Baltimore City Comcast folks? Having a cable card installed in our new Tivo Premiere XL (arrived yesterday) at 10:30 AM - I've read through this thread (as much as I could) and it seems to be hit or miss, but if you have any tips to pass on, anything I should know, I'd appreciate it.

I'll report back as to how it went!

Thanks -
akc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #7832
akc

All set!

I guess I consider myself among the fortunate... A completely smooth process.

I ordered the Tivo Premiere on Mon, it arrived on Thurs AM. I called Comcast (Baltimore City, MD) on Monday as well. They scheduled an appointment for Friday 10 - 1 PM. I did request a contractor based on the advice of these boards, though I'm not sure it would made a difference.

I went through all of the usual set up this AM so it was ready to go with the exception of the cable card. That was key b/c it took an hour to do the software update!

The tech arrived at 10:30 AM - had 3 M cards with him, just in case. He tested signal (check), tested network (check) and inserted card. The Tivo showed that the M Card had been correctly installed. He went to the Cable Card installation menu and went to the screen with all the info on the card, got the number to call and activate it, called it in (line busy for about 2 min but then he got through), they activated. Tivo went to a screen where it said it was searching for channels - then up it came.

All channels working correctly, both tuners, all HD is fine. Picture is perfect. Menu is working great.

All in all, the most I have to complain about is that the tech clearly smoked as he smelled like a chimney and he brought a little dry dirt in and on to our carpet. BUT, he was here for maybe 15 minutes, and we were good to go!

Wishing that experience holds true for many others. I count myself lucky!
akc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #7833
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by akc View Post
I did request a contractor based on the advice of these boards, though I'm not sure it would made a difference.
When my first install failed a couple of years ago, I insisted on a Comcast employee rather than a contractor (who was undertrained to do just about anything). The employee was much better prepared and was ab;e to complete the work in about 5 minutes.

Last install (a week or two ago) went much better on the first try. 45 minutes total (including upgrading CableCard firmware) but everything worked as soon as the tech closed the job.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #7834
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Ok, stupid question.....

I have a comcast CC in my TiVo HD. If I move to another house in the same town, does the pairing info need to be redone?

My assumption is that as long as I am staying in the same town with the same plan, etc, that it would just be like unplugging the TiVo and plugging it back in......

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #7835
morac
Cat God

You should call Comcast and ask if you can take the cards with you. Since you aren't moving to a new Comcast area they may allow it, but Comcast's policy is that you have to return all equipment when moving. If you can take it, you shouldn't need to re-pair.

Last edited by morac : 02-12-2011 at 10:10 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #7836
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Oh true.

I bet I could get them to let me bring my M card......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #7837
lpwcomp

I just started fighting Comcast in regards to my TiVo Premiere, both on the issue of the CableCARD install and the fees they wish to add. I have twio major issues with them:

1.Why is the Comcast website and at least some of the local offices, Atlanta included, still insisting that CableCARD requires professional installation in direct violation of FCC regulations?

2.Back when cable was fairly new, they used to charge for every outlet. Then they were told to stop, and they did. Why have they been able to re-instate those charges, simply by going digital?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #7838
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp
1.Why is the Comcast website and at least some of the local offices, Atlanta included, still insisting that CableCARD requires professional installation in direct violation of FCC regulations?
Because the regulations don't go into affect until the Summer (9 months after they were issued). Though I have a feeling Comcast will simply ignore that deadline.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #7839
ragnrok23

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
FWIW just downgraded today i have a series 3 and tivo hd. Previous charge for the second tivo was $8 + $1.50 additional outlet.

I was told since i am now on limited basic no A/O fee just $1.50 charge for each of the 3 cable cards.
So you were able to get cable cards with just basic cable (like 13 channels)

I figured since it'e only $3 more a month to get basic with my internet service, it might be worth it if I can get a cable card for HD guide data (as opposed to getting an antenna)
ragnrok23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #7840
Hexerott

Had a simple and easy install today.

Last night I set up the TIVO, did all the updates and activated TIVO. This took ~ 2 hours to do.

Called Comcast this morning and asked them to make sure they sent the tech with a new M-Card. Appt was 1-3pm and when I got home at 1:05 the tech had just pulled up. He came in and installed the lines and the TIVO within 40 minutes.

No issues at all. All channels work and the picture is great. The tech was the best I have had show up from any company.

I hope your experience is a smooth one.
Hexerott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #7841
jstravel

cable card Comcast Seattle

New Comcast install on Monday, Installer came with no M card for my new TiVo. He says, just go down to the office and ask for one, so I did. They gave me one and I returned home and installed it(per TiVo instructions). No problem.
jstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #7842
cking

Comcast's Anti-Competitive tactics against Tivo need to stop

I'm curious how other Tivo users who have Comcast feel, but I feel like my experience with Comcast (and by extension my Tivo) has really been an unpleasant experience.

You should not be forced to pay to have an installer come into your house to put in a CableCard. You should have the ability to go pick it up and install it yourself (or better yet you shouldn't have to jump through any hoops to use your Tivo)

The shenanigans Comcast has been playing where they give their Tivo customers two single stream CABLEcards and then charge them for 2 cable boxes on their bill is unacceptable

The fact that they at times have been known to bill people even for their first CABLEcard even though they are required to provide them free by law.

The fact that even though you have an HD Tivo and pay for a pricey cable package, they still expect you to fork over an additional $7.95 a month for full HD service.

I love Tivo and am a loyal user and hope to be for a long time, but the experience of working with Comcast as the cable service provider for Tivo's DVRs has been a lot of hassle.

And don't get me started about the fact that AT&T some how skirted the rules and doesn't have to support CableCards, leaving no company to use our Tivo with other than Comcast.

I feel like the ultimate kick in the face would be for CableCards to be completely discontinued requiring us with Tivo Lifetime service to have to buy a brand new box.

Somehow I still feel like if I could afford it I would still buy a new Tivo box, but I would not be happy about it and if Tivo's quality in any way degraded or there is a competitor that is better and cheaper than them, I would jump in a heartbeat.

Its not Tivo's fault in many ways, but it is a serious problem for their business.
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #7843
lpwcomp

One of the odd things about Comcast and their current attitude in most service areas is that, during the Hearings that led up to the new regs that go into effect Aug. 1, they were in favor of allowing cablecard self-install.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #7844
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
I'm curious how other Tivo users who have Comcast feel, but I feel like my experience with Comcast (and by extension my Tivo) has really been an unpleasant experience.
Allow me to offer some of my thoghts about how I feel.

Quote:
You should not be forced to pay to have an installer come into your house to put in a CableCard. You should have the ability to go pick it up and install it yourself (or better yet you shouldn't have to jump through any hoops to use your Tivo)
IIRC, new FCC rules will shortly go into effect that require you to be able to install your own cablecard.

Quote:
The shenanigans Comcast has been playing where they give their Tivo customers two single stream CABLEcards and then charge them for 2 cable boxes on their bill is unacceptable
You should not be paying for 2 cable boxes if you do not have their cable boxes.

Quote:
The fact that they at times have been known to bill people even for their first CABLEcard even though they are required to provide them free by law.
I don't beleive there is any requirement to provide cablecards for free. I forget the precise language, but I thought it was something like they can charge a minimal amount based on their cost. Unless regulated by the local franchise, Comcast caps the cablecard charge at $2.50. See: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...&fss=cablecard

Quote:
The fact that even though you have an HD Tivo and pay for a pricey cable package, they still expect you to fork over an additional $7.95 a month for full HD service.
I do not pay for HD Service. I have no Comcast equipment in my house (other than cablecards). I have two Tivos and pay one additional digital outlet charge and one cablecard charge ($1.99) for the 2nd S-stream card in my original S3 Tivo.

Quote:
I love Tivo and am a loyal user and hope to be for a long time, but the experience of working with Comcast as the cable service provider for Tivo's DVRs has been a lot of hassle.
I can't argue with you there. In fact, the charges I outlined above are only partially correct. Comcast has been unable to actually get their computer to charge me what I quoted above. However, they have admitted as such and have given me a $20 credit/month for one year to compensate me for their error. I also got a one time credit because I had to make two special trips to their office (25 miles away) to try to straighten this out. I finally contacted we_can_help@cable.comcast.com and they immediately called me back and offered me the adjustments.

Quote:
Its not Tivo's fault in many ways, but it is a serious problem for their business.
I suggest you contact Comcast Corporate help at we_can_help@cable.comcast.com if you can't get your charges corrected at the local office or from a telephone CSR.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #7845
Corran Horn

Quote:

I've seen this multiple times through the years but I finally have my cable bill in front of me so I'll ask. I have two single-stream cards. (I don't believe the multi-stream existed when I got my S3...could be wrong.)

This is what's on my bill:

Dig A/O Cable Card - 9.45
T3ddvrcards - 1.50

Is this right?

I do wish the S3 worked with AT&T U-verse. I'd jump over there in an instant.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #7846
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Your S3 requires two single-stream cards. An M-card will only function with a single stream. It appears to me that you're being charged extra for the second card, by the way.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #7847
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran Horn View Post
This is what's on my bill:

Dig A/O Cable Card - 9.45
T3ddvrcards - 1.50

Is this right?
Is this Tivo a 2nd (additional digital) outlet or is it your only digital outlet? In my market, additional digital outlets are $7.95 which includes one cablecard. Your S3 requires 2 cablecards and the $1.50 charge sounds like it is for the 2nd card.

If this is your only digital outlet, then you should not be paying $9.45 for it. It looks like they might be charging you $7.95 for an additional outlet and $1.50 for the 1st cablelcard on that outlet. This is contrary to the Comcast FAQ on cablecard charges.

See: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...&fss=cablecard for more info.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #7848
flynz4

Comcast charges for Cable Cards

I could use some help. Tonight, I attempted to switch from Frontier (previously Verizon) FiOS to Comcast.

Their promotion includes support for 3 HD outlets (TVs) with equipment including one HD Box (including on-demand), and two "dumb" HD boxes they called "DTA".

I asked how much to not use their equipment at all, and instead just attach my own Tivo units (2 Tivo HD; 1 Tivo HD XL). I was told the CC fees are $1.5/month for a multi-tuner card.

When they tried to entere the order, they claimed that I must pay $9.50 per cable card/month. It appears they want to charge me an $8/month "outlet fee" as well as the cc fee.

This doesn't make any sense. The package comes with 3 outlets. I simply do not want to use their equipment... and instead use my own TiVO units. I cancelled the order because of this.

1) Am I justified in thinking that $9.50/month to use my own equipment (with cable card) is unwarranted?

2) Assuming yes... what is the best way to break free of this log jam?

Thanks in advance.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #7849
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

They're wrong, but not in the direction that you're hoping.

The outlet fee includes the first cable card at each outlet. The normal subscription fee includes the first outlet (and first cc). So for 3 outlets with 3 cablecards, you'd pay whatever Comcast wants for your service tier, plus two outlet fees.

The DTA isn't an HD box, it's a digital adapter to give your old analog standard def TV access to the SD clearQAM digital channels that Comcast is switching over to. DTAs are free where I'm from, but they don't include the entire digital lineup - just full basic (the old analog channels 2-99) plus some additional ones, like CSPAN3 and the alternative locals (e.g., 8-2, 27-3 which are only transmitted up in the 240s).

If you have a Series 2, all you need is the free DTA, no outlet fee and no cable card, if you're happy with the lineup that that gives you.

PS: Sometimes you get lucky and all they charge you is $1.50 for the additional cc, especially if all the TiVos are (could be) at the same outlet

Last edited by pdhenry : 02-25-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #7850
flynz4

pdhenry,

Thanks for the clarification... even if it was not what I wanted to hear. It looks like if I want to switch to Comcast it will be an extra $16/month for the two extra outlets.

One last question: If I take their "HD BOX" (not the DVR) that comes with the package... and use it in conjunction with with my own TiVo on a the first outlet... should I expect there would no extra charges (except possibly for the $1.50 CC charge)? In other words, what should be the difference in paid services between the following two configurations, both with the same 3 televisions.

Config 1:
Family room: Tivo HD XL (w/cc)
MBR: Tivo HD (w/cc)
BR2: Tivo HD (w/cc)

Config 2:
Family room: "Comcast HD Box" + Tivo HD XL (w/cc)
MBR: Tivo HD (w/cc)
BR2: Tivo HD (w/cc)

/Jim
Old 02-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #7851
a68oliver

The Tivo HD and HD XL will not work with a satellite or cable box. They work with Off The Air TV and in place of the cable converter box, not with a cable converter box.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #7852
flynz4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
The Tivo HD and HD XL will not work with a satellite or cable box. They work with Off The Air TV and in place of the cable converter box, not with a cable converter box.
If your response was to me... in my two scenarios, I am not looking at using the HD XL with the Comcast HD box. Instead, I am looking at using the HD XL in addition to the Comcast HD box. I would have two connections to the cable.... and two connections to the TV for that one location only.

In other words, I am wondering if they will charge me as if I had 3 TVs or 4 TVs.

/Jim
Old 02-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #7853
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Each Tivo would be considered an A/O and get charged the full outlet fee (currently $8.50 here I think), except that you might get lucky in some cases and only be charged $1.50 for one of them.

I have two Tivos on Comcast right now and one is included w/service, the other is $1.50. But that's because they put the extra card on as an 'additional card' in the bill. I wanted to add another Tivo late last year and they wanted me to pay the full outlet fee for the third one, so I passed on it. The system would not allow another 'additional card' for the third device.

The idea was that the additional card was for the old S3s that had to have two cards, and if you get lucky with the HDs and Premieres you can get them to add an extra card without the outlet fee.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #7854
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
If your response was to me... in my two scenarios, I am not looking at using the HD XL with the Comcast HD box. Instead, I am looking at using the HD XL in addition to the Comcast HD box. I would have two connections to the cable.... and two connections to the TV for that one location only.

In other words, I am wondering if they will charge me as if I had 3 TVs or 4 TVs.

/Jim
Yes, I misunderstood your Config 2. I believe you should then pay one primary digital package/outlet fee for the Comcast box, and three additional digital outlet fees (which include cablecards) for the Tivos. However, as others have stated, you may get lucky and they only charge for cablecards on the Tivos.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 02-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #7855
flynz4

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

I think that I am going to bite the bullet and switch to Comcast anyway. I am really disappointed in FiOS since it was sold to Frontier, and the anticipated rate hikes once my price guarantee is over sounds bad.

I loved everything about FiOS when Verizon provided it in my area. I personally care about the internet connection the most... but my wife watches TV. If it wasn't for her, I'd be a cable cutter. My FiOS internet seems to have dropped a lot in quality with Frontier. I now get drop outs even for streaming audio, which I never noticed back when Verizon owned the service.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

/Jim
Old 02-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #7856
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnrok23 View Post
So you were able to get cable cards with just basic cable (like 13 channels)........

That's the way we have been for years. $12 for lifeline cable.

Works great for us......

Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #7857
flynz4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
Thank you to everyone for your comments.

I think that I am going to bite the bullet and switch to Comcast anyway. I am really disappointed in FiOS since it was sold to Frontier, and the anticipated rate hikes once my price guarantee is over sounds bad.

I loved everything about FiOS when Verizon provided it in my area. I personally care about the internet connection the most... but my wife watches TV. If it wasn't for her, I'd be a cable cutter. My FiOS internet seems to have dropped a lot in quality with Frontier. I now get drop outs even for streaming audio, which I never noticed back when Verizon owned the service.

Thanks again for your comments and help.

/Jim
As an update:

I ordered the service today.

$90 Preferred Plus Triple Play (first 12 months, then $20 more)
$1.5 for CC #1 (TiVO HD XL)
$9.5 for CC #2 (TiVO HD)
$9.5 for CC #3 (TiVO HD)
$7 for cable model/telephone interface
?? Taxes

About $120 + taxes, which for the first year will be less than my current Frontier bill... and then about the same after a year. However, I expected Frontier to go up once my price protection ends this summer so Comcast is still probably less money for the first 2 years. Comcast also offered a $250 gift card.

I never would have switched if Verizon was still running the FiOS service in Portland. I am not going to like Comcast's 250 GB BW Cap... but now that all of my backup data (742 GB) is already uploaded to the cloud, I should be OK unless I switch backup providers.

/Jim
Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #7858
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I think that's more than you should pay.
The first CableCard is included with service. The additional outlet fee includes the first cc at that outlet.
There's a FAQ page at Comcast.com that lays out the charges, but then says "Regulated Prices quoted above may not apply in all markets. Please call 1-800-COMCAST to learn more about Regulated Prices for your area". I'd print out the page and ask some questions. The way I interpret the page is that the fees are different if the local franchise authority says they're different, not just because Comcast wants them to be different.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #7859
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I think that's more than you should pay.

I agree. Those charges don't sound correct to me. Of course, what they tell you over the phone and what shows up on your bill can be completely different.

You should not be paying a cablecard charge on the first outlet. And the other cablecard charges sound a little steep to me. They sound like addtional outlet fees PLUS a cablecard charge.

I strongly recommend that you examine the rate card for your area. Stop by a local office and pick one up if you didn't receive one in the mail. I nearly always get a new rate card in December or January with my bill or a separate mailing.

Let us know what the rate card says.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #7860
flynz4

I'll check into it as soon as I can. I agree from the description that I should not be paying CC fees on top of the outlet charges. They are $1.50 each, so I may be overcharged by $4.50/month.

/Jim