Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #661
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I ordered a Premiere XL from Woot yesterday, and I'd like to add as much drive space as possible. After reading this thread, it appears that 2TB is the max total size regardless of whether the box is a standard Premiere or XL. But I did see one post near the beginning that said the barrier is 2TB plus the original drive size. Does that mean that it should be possible to get an XL to 3TB total size?

Assuming I'm limited to 2TB total, I need to decide if I'm going to replace the internal drive with a 2TB or just add a 1TB DVR Expander drive. Replacing the internal avoids a second point of potential failure. But adding the external gives me the same 2TB of total storage while keeping the box in a 100% supported configuration.

Are there other advantages or disadvantages to either solution that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Keep the original drive unchanged on the shelf. Pop it back in if you need warranty coverage.

Avoid the external.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #662
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Avoid the external.
Is that just to avoid a second point of failure, or is there another reason? Does the free space indicator have the same accuracy with both options?

I guess I could just use the XL with the stock drive for a while since either upgrade option will preserve my recordings. If I wait long enough, maybe WD will release a 2TB expander. But I've never been good at waiting, so that probably won't happen.

Is it even worth trying to upgrade to a 3TB drive, or has that already been tried with an XL and proven not to work?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #663
alyssa

The premiere's can only be upgraded to a 2TB HD. I don't quite understand why but it is so.
I believe he's recommending not going with a external because if the external goes bad you'll lose all your recordings, and the WD DVR's have a *bad* track record.
The Comer upgrade is really the way to go. Plus once you do the upgrade, keep the old HD for backup. If the new HD goes bad then you still have your cablecard pairing & you can either drop it into your tivo or upgrade another HD from it.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #664
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
The premiere's can only be upgraded to a 2TB HD. I don't quite understand why but it is so.
I believe he's recommending not going with a external because if the external goes bad you'll lose all your recordings, and the WD DVR's have a *bad* track record.
The Comer upgrade is really the way to go. Plus once you do the upgrade, keep the old HD for backup. If the new HD goes bad then you still have your cablecard pairing & you can either drop it into your tivo or upgrade another HD from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Keep the original drive unchanged on the shelf. Pop it back in if you need warranty coverage.

Avoid the external.
+1
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #665
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
The premiere's can only be upgraded to a 2TB HD.
Yeah, everything I've seen indicates that to be the case. But has anyone tried a 3TB drive in an XL or only in a standard Premiere? I'm willing to try it, but I won't bother if it's already been done.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #666
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Still reading through the posts. Although I did order my 2TB hard drive.

more questions ...

- When I get the drive, do I need to format the drive at all to confirm the AAM and Intellipark timeout settings?

- Can I just plug the 2TB drive into my PC and run HDDScan and wdidle.exe without the drive being formatted?

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

TiVo Premiere w/WD20EARS 2TB Internal (317 hours HD recording using
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!)

Are you a Walt Disney World fan?
Check out the award winning
BigT4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #667
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT4187 View Post
Still reading through the posts. Although I did order my 2TB hard drive.

more questions ...

- When I get the drive, do I need to format the drive at all to confirm the AAM and Intellipark timeout settings?

- Can I just plug the 2TB drive into my PC and run HDDScan and wdidle.exe without the drive being formatted?

Thanks for putting up with my questions.
No format is needed and you (if you want ) can run wdidle3, some newer WD drives don't require that so you could try not running wdidle3 and if the drive gives you a problem in a soft boot, you than can run wdidle3 without any data loss at any time.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #668
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
No format is needed and you (if you want ) can run wdidle3, some newer WD drives don't require that so you could try not running wdidle3 and if the drive gives you a problem in a soft boot, if needed you can than run wdidle3 without any data loss at any time.
Thanks for the quick reply!!

!)

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #669
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Yeah, everything I've seen indicates that to be the case. But has anyone tried a 3TB drive in an XL or only in a standard Premiere? I'm willing to try it, but I won't bother if it's already been done.
To my limited knowledge, it's been tried in an XL. IIRC, even the upgrade sellers haven't been able to break the 2 TB ceiling.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #670
KenVa

upgrading Tivo HD to 2TB

I understand people have had luck using this tool to upgrade a Tivo HD. Can this be done starting from a 1TB that I upgraded to with WinMFS before this tool was created, or would I have to go back to the orig disk? I'm hoping to be able to copy the previously upgraded disk.

I already used this to upgrade my Premiere disk to a 2TB and it worked perfectly.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #671
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenVa View Post
I understand people have had luck using this tool to upgrade a Tivo HD. Can this be done starting from a 1TB that I upgraded to with WinMFS before this tool was created, or would I have to go back to the orig disk? I'm hoping to be able to copy the previously upgraded disk.
Unfortunately you have to use the original drive for the upgrade. You could transfer (non-copy) protected shows to your other TiVo and move them back again after the upgrade.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #672
KenVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Unfortunately you have to use the original drive for the upgrade. You could transfer (non-copy) protected shows to your other TiVo and move them back again after the upgrade.
By the time I read your response I has already finished doing the copy. I figured by that time I would just try it out, so I expanded it using the tool and then tried to Supersize it, but that failed. I put the drive in the tivo HD and it works !!!!

It shows 318 hours of HD recording space. I really didn't have much time to play with it this morning, but previous recording seem to work and everything seems fine. Is there something that will not work or may not upgrade? I'll have to check it out more tonight.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #673
Royski

I upgraded with a Newegg WD20EARS ($69.99 after rebate) this weekend. Worked great. The drive was manufactured in December 2010 and I didn't bother with the WD software.
Royski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #674
richsadams

Quote:
By the time I read your response I has already finished doing the copy. I figured by that time I would just try it out, so I expanded it using the tool and then tried to Supersize it, but that failed. I put the drive in the tivo HD and it works !!!!

It shows 318 hours of HD recording space. I really didn't have much time to play with it this morning, but previous recording seem to work and everything seems fine. Is there something that will not work or may not upgrade? I'll have to check it out more tonight.
Well, that's excellent news! I was passing on what I recalled the author (Comer) saying (and relying on the instructions in the first post), so it's great to know that an already upgraded drive can be upgraded again...thanks very much for that.

COMER: Do you see any issues?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #675
retiredqwest

Quote:

There is a thread for the THD and JMFS if you would like to use that to continue.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

If I remember correctly, I copied and expanded a stock THD to various size HD's and JMFS did not even recognize them! BUT, that may have been using REV .68 versus REV 1.04 that is available now.

So I'm copying the stock THD to a 1TB WD10EADS and will report back later with what I find.... in the other thread.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #676
wesbc

Well I'm about to make the jump to 2TB using a newly sourced Hitachi CoolSpin 5K3000. AAM is not a supported feature but the drive is quite enough. Need to find out about the power management option. Also I now noticed that the Tivo drive was installed upside down. Is that what everyone is doing with their new drives? It's kinda odd.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #677
jcthorne

Mine was not installed upside down. Mine had the circuit board down.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #678
wesbc

Well I suppose it doesn't really matter, I have to install my drive down because if the drive was installed right side up, it would become too tall for the cover to go back on. I suppose it depends on the bracket and they might have changed them later on as mine is one of the first ones off the line.

Anyway just installed with the newest Hitachi 5900rpm model, HDS5C3020ALA632. AAM was not a feature available to be set. The only thing I'm a little curious about is I read somewhere about enabling power management. I see that this drive have Advanced Power Management, but it's currently disabled and don't know what value is needed. Also I do see Power Management under HDDscan but not sure if that's something I need to touch.

Anyway, It's booting up now, so far so good and the drive is pretty quiet. Though it's sitting on top of an older replay which might be masking any noise.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #679
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Well I suppose it doesn't really matter, I have to install my drive down because if the drive was installed right side up, it would become too tall for the cover to go back on. I suppose it depends on the bracket and they might have changed them later on as mine is one of the first ones off the line.

Anyway just installed with the newest Hitachi 5900rpm model, HDS5C3020ALA632. AAM was not a feature available to be set. The only thing I'm a little curious about is I read somewhere about enabling power management. I see that this drive have Advanced Power Management, but it's currently disabled and don't know what value is needed. Also I do see Power Management under HDDscan but not sure if that's something I need to touch.

Anyway, It's booting up now, so far so good and the drive is pretty quiet. Though it's sitting on top of an older replay which might be masking any noise.
Congratulations on your "new" TiVo! FWIW there's no need to make any adjustments to APM. TiVo is recording 24/7 and the drive never has the opportunity to spin down.

When you have a moment can you please post the exact model number of your new hard drive? TIA and enjoy!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #680
wesbc

Quote:
Congratulations on your "new" TiVo! FWIW there's no need to make any adjustments to APM. TiVo is recording 24/7 and the drive never has the opportunity to spin down.

When you have a moment can you please post the exact model number of your new hard drive? TIA and enjoy!
Thanks for the input, I figured as much regarding the APM. So far so good, all my show was copied over and it's up and running with no issue so far.

Here's the link to the drive I got from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-475-_-Product

Link to Hitachi.

http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-d...eskstar-5k3000

There was a really good deal on it Tuesday during their shell shocker for $60 after the $10 rebate, and before that it was $70 after the rebate. This is a fairly new drive. I wanted to go the WD route but the 2 EARS I got both failed extended diag test which was disappointing.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #681
ultatryon

Quote:
Well, that's excellent news! I was passing on what I recalled the author (Comer) saying (and relying on the instructions in the first post), so it's great to know that an already upgraded drive can be upgraded again...thanks very much for that.

COMER: Do you see any issues?
I too have been interested in this. I have two Premieres, both with WD10EARS drives in them. One drive I expanded myself, and the other was a DVR-Dude drive from ebay.

I have been feeling a bit cramped with all my HD recordings, so I have been thinking about upgrading to WD20EADS/WD20EARS or WD20EURS, but I wanted to expand the drive again if at all possible. I will be ordering the drive(s) next week and get back with results, but this is promising that someone else was able to do it.
ultatryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #682
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultatryon View Post
I too have been interested in this. I have two Premieres, both with WD10EARS drives in them. One drive I expanded myself, and the other was a DVR-Dude drive from ebay.

I have been feeling a bit cramped with all my HD recordings, so I have been thinking about upgrading to WD20EADS/WD20EARS or WD20EURS, but I wanted to expand the drive again if at all possible. I will be ordering the drive(s) next week and get back with results, but this is promising that someone else was able to do it.
Even though this is a TP thread, the original post was concerning a THD that had been copied and expanded using Winmfs. And using JMFS to copy and expand that as the source and expanding to a larger drive for the THD.

Since I have a TP:
I'll copy and expand the 320G to a 500G.
Then see if the 500G will copy and expand to a 2TB.

I want to use the 500G since it will take less time to do the second step.

Be back later....

well more like tomorrow.....

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD

Last edited by retiredqwest : 02-11-2011 at 12:38 PM.
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #683
ultatryon

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Even though this is a TP thread, the original post was concerning a THD that had been copied and expanded using Winmfs. And using JMFS to copy and expand that as the source and expanding to a larger drive for the THD.

Since I have a TP:
I'll copy and expand the 320G to a 500G.
Then see if the 500G will copy and expand to a 2TB.

I want to use the 500G since it will take less time to do the second step.

Be back later....

well more like tomorrow.....
That is true, I have a few drives kicking around that I could try that on as well.

Either way I will be upgrading to 2tb, but if I can get around shuffling content around on my tivos and TTG, all the better.
ultatryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #684
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Wow! What a smooth upgrade! Everything went as expected. The hardest part was putting the cover back on the TiVo Premiere! Some details:
  • My Western Digital 2TB drive arrived today (http://amzn.to/gYeyhx) with a manufacture date of Dec 04 2010.
  • I removed the 320GB drive from the TiVo Premiere
  • I connected both drives to my PC via SATA cable directly to the motherboard.
  • I booted up the live CD and it detected both drives
  • I started the copy. It took just under 2 hours to complete.
  • I expanded the new 2TB drive
  • I "supersized" the new 2TB drive
  • After the "supersize" was complete, I powered down the PC and disconnected the 320GB original TiVo Premiere hard drive
  • I booted up the Hitachi tools to set the AAM to 128
  • Since the manufacture date on the new drive was 12/04/2010 I decided to try and NOT set the IntelliPark setting.
  • I put the new hard drive in the TiVo, remembered to connect the power & data cables.
  • I put the cover back on, reconnected the cable, HDMI, LAN and power cables and waited
  • The TiVo booted up in a few minutes and I confirmed 317 hours of HD recording time.
  • I restarted the TiVo via the menus and crossed my fingers
  • The TiVo booted up without any issues at all.
  • The original TiVo 320GB drive is now sitting in my closet in an anti-static bag just in case it is ever needed.

Thanks to Comer for this wonderful tool (a donation will be on its way as soon as I finish posting this.)

Also, thanks to Rich for his help and guidance.

If you are considering doing this upgrade, do not be concerned at all. Like I said, everything went smoothly.

Thanks again.

!)

Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #685
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I figured as much regarding the APM. So far so good, all my show was copied over and it's up and running with no issue so far.

Here's the link to the drive I got from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-475-_-Product

Link to Hitachi.

http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-d...eskstar-5k3000
Thanks for the info on the Hitachi drive...great to know. Although the link to the specs on the Hitachi website is for a 3TB model, they are probably about the same. One of the key issues for a lot of people are the acoustics. It lists it as 2.4 to 2.5 Bels idle which is only slight higher than the WD GP drive line. It doesn't list the seek acoustics...which are the most important really...but with the idle being what it is it s/b fairly quiet. Can you hear the drive in a quiet room?

Thanks again and enjoy!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #686
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT4187 View Post
Wow! What a smooth upgrade! Everything went as expected. The hardest part was putting the cover back on the TiVo Premiere!
Nice work Tony, and thanks for the details! (Although you left out the part about struggling to reinstall one of the drive bracket screws. )

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #687
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultatryon View Post
That is true, I have a few drives kicking around that I could try that on as well.

Either way I will be upgrading to 2tb, but if I can get around shuffling content around on my tivos and TTG, all the better.
Thanks for taking the time to be a guinea pig! I know I'm looking forward to the results.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #688
wesbc

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Hitachi drive...great to know. Although the link to the specs on the Hitachi website is for a 3TB model, they are probably about the same. One of the key issues for a lot of people are the acoustics. It lists it as 2.4 to 2.5 Bels idle which is only slight higher than the WD GP drive line. It doesn't list the seek acoustics...which are the most important really...but with the idle being what it is it s/b fairly quiet. Can you hear the drive in a quiet room?

Thanks again and enjoy!
The Hitachi link is for the 5K3000 series of drives which includes the 1.5, 2 and 3 TB. 2.5 Bels idel for the 3 TB and 2.4 for <3 TB which are the 1.5 and 2. Yeah too bad they don't list the seek.

I had to unplug my old replay to hear the new Tivo and wow can't believe how loud it was compare to the new Tivo. With 2 show recording at the same time I do not hear a thing sitting 6-8 ft from it. I even shut off my air purifier as that was keeping me from hearing anything. Only if I press my ears next to it do I hear the drive doing it's thing. I'm definitely satisfied with the performance of this drive so far.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #689
BigT4187
WDW Nut

Quote:
Nice work Tony, and thanks for the details! (Although you left out the part about struggling to reinstall one of the drive bracket screws. )

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
You know what, Rich .... I thought it was just me. That one screw was a pain.

I'll take that small hassle for the rest of the procedure going so smoothly!

!)

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #690
richsadams

Quote:
The Hitachi link is for the 5K3000 series of drives which includes the 1.5, 2 and 3 TB. 2.5 Bels idel for the 3 TB and 2.4 for <3 TB which are the 1.5 and 2. Yeah too bad they don't list the seek.

I had to unplug my old replay to hear the new Tivo and wow can't believe how loud it was compare to the new Tivo. With 2 show recording at the same time I do not hear a thing sitting 6-8 ft from it. I even shut off my air purifier as that was keeping me from hearing anything. Only if I press my ears next to it do I hear the drive doing it's thing. I'm definitely satisfied with the performance of this drive so far.
Excellent to know. I will keep the reference info for future recommendations.