TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
rijowysock

Question Glitching from TiVo Slide Remote

Wondering if my remote or something thats usual for a remote over "bluetooth".

when watching a show i kick FFW, and then see the show and 80% of the time i click play to resume the show and it does not respond, after a few seconds and a couple hundred clicks it finally starts to play..

i re sync'ed it with the dongle, i have the dongle out in the open and easy to read...

i do the same thing with iPad and doesn't ever studder, the same with standard remote and doesn't studder...

is my slide remote messed up, or is their something else going on (does having bluetooth dongle close to wifi router/other electronics mess up the signal reception at all?

i tried the "tivo+thumbs down" to turn off the backlight as some said it has odd effects but the damn remote still lights up when i click buttons (and yes i got the triple blue light to say the backlight has turned off)

not sure whats what, sick of waiting on hold with TiVo.
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Jonathan_S

I had some issues with delayed button presses with mine. Using the extender cable that came with the dongle and putting in a fresh set of batteries seems to have cleared those issues up.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
rijowysock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I had some issues with delayed button presses with mine. Using the extender cable that came with the dongle and putting in a fresh set of batteries seems to have cleared those issues up.
fresh set cured it for like 15 minutes, the batteries were at 86% prior to swapping..

seems like its problematic for many then i guess :-/
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
DeWitt

Wireless routers in the 2.5 band have been known to interfere with bluetooth.

I have never seen slow button presses on mine and I am still using the original batteries.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
Wondering if my remote or something thats usual for a remote over "bluetooth". When watching a show i kick FFW, and then see the show and 80% of the time i click play to resume the show and it does not respond, after a few seconds and a couple hundred clicks it finally starts to play...
I had ZERO such problems with the slide remote until immediately after the 14.7 update. Now I experience what you describe about 50% of the time.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
rogmatic

I am having the same issues with the slide. I ended up unplugging the toggle because I got sick of the unresponsiveness. I haven't tried the extender though - maybe I will give that a try.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
I am having the same issues with the slide. I ended up unplugging the toggle because I got sick of the unresponsiveness.
Although it is nice to have that option, I don't WANT to use it optically. The whole point of the slide remote, other than the keyboard, is the bluetooth- I don't have to aim it and it is faster. In my case, I never had a SINGLE problem with the Slide, month after month, until the TiVo was updated to 14.7. After hearing others' posts, I find it hard to believe it is just a random coincidence.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
deandashl

Don't blame the TiVo Slide Remote. I've got it and it works pretty good. Occasionally, a key press doesn't register, but NOTHING like you guys are talking.

But, then, I have a HD XL.

I think 14.7 is a dud for you guys.

I'll tell ya. It's gotta be tough being a TiVo Premiere owner. So much potential.....
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
rijowysock

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I had ZERO such problems with the slide remote until immediately after the 14.7 update. Now I experience what you describe about 50% of the time.
YES, since the update..

any thoughts anyone?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
rijowysock

Quote:
Although it is nice to have that option, I don't WANT to use it optically. The whole point of the slide remote, other than the keyboard, is the bluetooth- I don't have to aim it and it is faster. In my case, I never had a SINGLE problem with the Slide, month after month, until the TiVo was updated to 14.7. After hearing others' posts, I find it hard to believe it is just a random coincidence.
im going to try a hard reboot of the system as i havent done once since the update.... and then maybe call Tivo....

really frustrating, as it goes like 2 mins past where i want to play then i have to rewind and press play again, FFW is the ONLY button thats glitching... no others.

again ipad and regular optical remote works fine but i need the bluetooth for my application as the TiVo is not located anywhere near the TV... just TV on the wall and tivo off in a sep location hidden.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
rijowysock

TiVo said to reboot with the USB disconnected in the back of the TiVo and then connect after... ill try when i have some time without recordings.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
TiVo said to reboot with the USB disconnected in the back of the TiVo and then connect after... ill try when i have some time without recordings.
I think that is only the solution for the problem after 14.7 where the TiVo will not successfully boot when the dongle is plugged in. But please let us know if it makes any difference!

These bugs are just unreal.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
rogmatic

Yes, it took me about two days to realize that I was unable to reboot with the doggle plugged in - it just got stuck at the welcome screen until I unplugged the doggle.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
DeWitt

Huh! My PXL is on 14.7 and reboots fine with the dongle in place.....
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
rijowysock

Quote:
I think that is only the solution for the problem after 14.7 where the TiVo will not successfully boot when the dongle is plugged in. But please let us know if it makes any difference!

These bugs are just unreal.
she said when it boots with the dongle it does something weird with the setup, i did it first time and unplugged the tuning adapter by accident, did it again with the dongle extension and everything is working fine.. fluke or not... we'll see... ill use it more today and report back.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
rijowysock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmatic View Post
Yes, it took me about two days to realize that I was unable to reboot with the doggle plugged in - it just got stuck at the welcome screen until I unplugged the doggle.
mine boots fine with dongle, takes a while but always takes a while...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
joejet

Quote:
mine boots fine with dongle, takes a while but always takes a while...

I was also told to reboot with dongle unplugged. I did it, still doesnt work properly (lag, non-responsive)
joejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
rijowysock

not working again, WTF
Old 02-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #19
rijowysock

read above how 2.5 affects bluetooth, googled and found 2.4ghz wireless affects bluetooth when on the B network..

changed my router to 5ghz only (n) still problems, changed to 5ghz N+a, still problems.. back to 2.4+5ghz a/b/g/n and still problems..

no problems on IR, only on bluetooth... wireless doesnt affect it..

only glitch is on FFW and Play keys however.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
KillTheGrimace

We bought two slide remotes at full price from TiVo.com when I first learned about them months ago. Both worked great for about a week. One stopped working entirely and would never re-pair with the TiVo again (it would blink blue twice and stop before you could initiate pairing on the TiVo). The other one started glitching like crazy; you had to press the button dozens of times to get anything out of it, then suddenly it would "stick" button presses so you could never select the program you wanted to see.

Both work fine as "IR-only" but of course you can't use the keyboards that way, which is the reason we bought them. I have run through TiVo's complete set of troubleshooting steps several times with no joy. Really disappointing.
KillTheGrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #21
CiP

I am having the same issues with 2 remotes on two Tivo Premiere XL's. Sometimes there is such a delay that if I pressed a button 20 times, it would stall and those 20 clicks will happen afterwards. I went back to the origianal remote and life is good again. Too bad I spent over $120.00 for these 2 faulty remotes.
TiVo needs to address this ASAP!
Please....
CiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #22
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiP View Post
I am having the same issues with 2 remotes on two Tivo Premiere XL's. Sometimes there is such a delay that if I pressed a button 20 times, it would stall and those 20 clicks will happen afterwards. I went back to the origianal remote and life is good again. Too bad I spent over $120.00 for these 2 faulty remotes.
Could it be they are interfering with each other? You can't have two Slides on one TiVo. And you MIGHT not be able to have two Slides on two TiVo's within wireless range of each other due to interference.

I have only one, and have never had the slightest problem with it (6 months of operation) until 14.7 was pushed on my unit.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #23
joejet

I gave up on this remote... sending it back to Amazon...

maybe i will pick one up in a year when they fix it..
joejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
CiP

Quote:
Could it be they are interfering with each other? You can't have two Slides on one TiVo. And you MIGHT not be able to have two Slides on two TiVo's within wireless range of each other due to interference.

I have only one, and have never had the slightest problem with it (6 months of operation) until 14.7 was pushed on my unit.
That is a possibility. I will disconnect one of the remote receivers and try the other out.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
CiP

Check this out. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1787
Maybe this will help someone.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
Sut703

Add me to the list having this same exact problem. I moved my router away from the entertainment center, then switched to the 5GHz band, still no difference. I wound up unplugging the dongle and using IR instead, but then the remote's keyboard doesn't work. Piece of crap.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #27
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I have dealt with the missed button presses, but recently I got a Premiere and I'm really getting frustrated with the remote response. Often I hit a button and get no response, as I watch the Tivo fast forward through the show I'm trying to watch. Occasionally I also get multiple phantom presses. I'll press a button once, and Tivo will register about 30 presses. Usually this will result in "bong-bong-bong-bong". Also I noticed several times last night that I hit the 30 second scan or the replay button, and the Tivo would interpret it as me holding it down, so it would skip to the beginning or end of the show. Not good for shows that have spoilers at the end!

I've tried using the USB extension cable, but to no avail. I positioned the dongle about 5 feet from where I was sitting (with a hollow closet wall between us) but it didn't seem to help anything.

I really hope Tivo does something about this. I'm sick of paying hundreds of dollars and getting incomplete crap.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
deandashl

I looked around the forum and there is no talk anymore about Slide Remote issues with S3's. Except the usual newbie stuff and not much of that either.

This is a Premiere issue, more than the remote. There's something wrong in the Premiere software, especially 14.7, related to the remote input process. Reminds me of my old Comcast Moto DVR. One of many reasons I got a TiVo.

I think TiVo really needs to have a few meetings.
deandashl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I was having missed/delayed button presses issues when I was using it with my TivoHD too. The only thing I definitely didn't have was the inability to boot up with the dongle plugged in (which I have with the Premiere)
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #30
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandashl View Post
This is a Premiere issue, more than the remote. There's something wrong in the Premiere software, especially 14.7, related to the remote input process.
I don't think it is "especially" related to 14.7, I think it is *only* related to 14.7. I never had a single problem with the Slide remote until 14.7 was loaded and then immediately starting having problems with lost/ignored buttons. And that is when all the other people started posting about it. I bought the Slide with the Premiere and have never used anything else.

14.7 is also when people started reporting they could not successfully boot up their TiVo with the bluetooth dongle plugged in.