TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Piers Morgan

How do you all feel about this guy? How about his show?

What did you think of the clips of him, asking the Kardashians if their breasts were real?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Didn't see it but I'm sure he was just havin' some fun. It's not like they're dignitaries.

And yes I do like Piers. Anyone's an improvement over Larry King.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm a big Howard Stern fan. I recorded the show where he was on Piers' show. I kept thinking about watching it for a week and ended up just deleting it.

I have no opinion of Piers as I know nothing of the guy. I guess if I didn't watch the show with Howard on, I probably won't ever watch it. I never once watched Larry King either, so it isn't a big change for me.
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
andyw715

what what did they say?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

The only thing I know him from is the Celebrity Apprentice. I found him occasionally amusing but mostly an obnoxious ass.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I just wonder what CNN is going to do when there is something resembling "significant news" - Larry King's show would talk about the news item, but it seems that Piers' show is just pre-recorded interviews. (Of course, something like State of the Union just pre-empts Piers like it pre-empted Larry.)

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I've watched the show twice: Howard Stern and Ricky Gervais.

He asks good questions, but constantly interrupts the guest when they're trying to answer. For the questions I really wanted to hear the answers to, it was very annoying.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Cainebj

I think Piers Morgan is a dick.

I have fastforwarded him almost in his entirety on America's Got Talent and I wouldn't watch this new show if you paid me. His faux feud with Madonna is a desperate cry for publicity - like she would wanna be on his show anyway? Not.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I like him and his show. I never heard of him until he was on the apprentice and I didn't like him at first, but then I found myself hoping that he'd win.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

I have fastforwarded him almost in his entirety on America's Got Talent and I wouldn't watch this new show if you paid me. His faux feud with Madonna is a desperate cry for publicity - like she would wanna be on his show anyway? Not.
I don't think you're using that phrase correctly. Well either that or your confused about punctuation.

I always thought Piers was more of a Simon Cowel wannabe. Which isn't aspiring to much.

I never watched Larry King Live so I doubt that I'll watch the Piers Morgan version either. Well that and the fact that my guide data never tells who will be on the show. Bleh!
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
How do you all feel about this guy? How about his show?

What did you think of the clips of him, asking the Kardashians if their breasts were real?
So far so good.

The clips are obviously teasers to get people to watch.

The only full PM Show I saw has been with Ricky Gervais, and I enjoyed it. I saw parts of last night's show with the Osteens (a televangelist couple I was not aware of prior to the show), and I liked that PM would challenge them on some things (e.g., calling Elton John a sinner because he is gay). Osteen said that he doesn't judge people, and PM said that Osteen DOES judge people when he makes statements like that, as the Osteens have many followers who are influenced by their words.

I never cared for PM on America's Got Talent, and can't stand Trump so I didn't watch him on The Apprentice, but PM has apparently paid his dues in the industry and is a good interviewer, IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Concur.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
rifleman69

He's boring. (Only because his commercials said don't call him boring)
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I always thought Piers was more of a Simon Cowel wannabe.
I believe "Cowel" is spelled with two L's = Simon Cowell.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
rahnbo

I like Piers OK based on what I've seen on AGT and Celebrity Apprentice. The problem is so far he has only had one guest on that I cared to watch (Stern). That show wasn't even that good because it seemed like Morgan was trying to pick a fight with Stern which I'm sure Piers would have lost. I do have a low priority SP for the show but usually I find out who the guest is and just delete it. If he gets some guests I care about then I'll most likely watch.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
mattack

I like him, and there's a podcast of his show (I had been recording it, transferring to computer, and converting got audio before I found the podcast).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #17
IJustLikeTivo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:

He'd have to improve to be a dick. Mostly he's just a talentless hack. I have no idea how he's made it in any business much less being on camera.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Well either that or you're confused about punctuation.
FYP.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
zalusky

Well the bottom line is he has persuaded all these people to give him jobs for good money for many years so I think he has some talent.

Perhaps you just don't like British abrasiveness.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
If I weren't constantly reminded of Simon Cowell I think I'd like him better. I always get the feeling he's trying to be another Simon. I also think he OFTEN crosses the line of good taste and/or manners. Simon could pull it off because Simon isn't acting and he also mixes it all up with a good dose of charm. I also tended to agree with Simon most of the time, not so with Piers. Piers has all of the abrasiveness with none of the charm. Not a fan, but I'll still watch him.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I believe "Cowel" is spelled with two L's = Simon Cowell.
like it matters
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
If I weren't constantly reminded of Simon Cowell I think I'd like him better. I always get the feeling he's trying to be another Simon. I also think he OFTEN crosses the line of good taste and/or manners. Simon could pull it off because Simon isn't acting and he also mixes it all up with a good dose of charm. I also tended to agree with Simon most of the time, not so with Piers. Piers has all of the abrasiveness with none of the charm. Not a fan, but I'll still watch him.
If you watch clips of Britains got Talent on youtube you can see Piers and Simon side by side doing their bit.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
Magnolia88
She likes cheese.

I had never heard of him but he got some great guests for his first week - I watched Oprah, Ricky Gervais and Howard Stern, all interesting guests.

He's full of himself, and seems to think he's as important or as famous as his guests are. Does he really think that America's Got Talent made him well known in this country? It didn't. I don't know who watches that show, it must have some fans, but he's hardly a household name, like Simon Cowell.

He also interrupts too often, and his questions aren't all that scintillating to begin with. Totally not impressed.

I can't imagine that he is going to improve tremendously on Larry King's ratings. He's a better interviewer than LK, but that's not saying much. But Larry was likable, and famous people liked going on LK because they knew that LK would treat them with kid gloves and wouldn't be too harsh. He let them talk about whatever. I don't see PM getting the same level of guests, not after the novelty wears off.

PS -- I have nothing against British abrasiveness. I like Simon Cowell. He was also full of himself, but he was entertaining as hell on AI. I also love Ricky Gervais and will watch anything he is in (even the animated show with round head Karl), and I thought he was hilarious hosting the GG awards.
Magnolia88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia88 View Post
He's full of himself, and seems to think he's as important or as famous as his guests are. Does he really think that America's Got Talent made him well known in this country? It didn't. I don't know who watches that show, it must have some fans, but he's hardly a household name, like Simon Cowell.
Just because *you* don't watch the show doesn't mean that tons and tons of other people don't. It gets huge ratings.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #25
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

As OP, my question was a request for personal opinions, not about how is the show rated! Since he kinda turns my stomach, I'm interested in other opinions that might give me a new perspective, and feel everyone's take is valid!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #26
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Just because *you* don't watch the show doesn't mean that tons and tons of other people don't. It gets huge ratings.
Have a quick look here:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/chang...o-viewers.html
Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Never heard of the guy; never plan to watch him....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
sieglinde

I haven't watched an episode yet. If he interviews somebody that I haven't heard from a dozen times, I may listen. Except, I may tune in if he starts interviewing the Presidential candidates for 2012. Always nice to get as much info and a feel for a person before voting.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #29
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I just wonder what CNN is going to do when there is something resembling "significant news"
...and on Friday night, we got our answer - Piers Morgan live with various talking heads, including Wolf Blitzer.

The questions are,
(a) How does Piers do, ratingswise, compared to the show before his. and
(b) Does CNN think "Ryan Seacrest Live" could do any better?

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #30
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
...and on Friday night, we got our answer - Piers Morgan live with various talking heads, including Wolf Blitzer.

The questions are,
(a) How does Piers do, ratingswise, compared to the show before his. and
(b) Does CNN think "Ryan Seacrest Live" could do any better?

-- Don
I see CNN made a coup by hiring Mark Whitaker away from MSNBC. He's a pretty level headed Journalist. Let's hope that'll bring at least one sane brain to the mix!