TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #7771
Old Hickory

Here in my Comcast franchise area, I subscribe to the Digital Preferred plan in order to get some channels not available with the HDTV offering. With the Digital Preferred plan comes the On Demand service and the monthly fee is $85.45.

I know that the On Demand is a very valuable service offering from Comcast as they advertise it non-stop as their benefit over satellite and other competitors. But the On Demand is only accessible with a Comcast DVR so it's worthless to me as a Tivo subscriber.

So do you guys have the same scenario with Comcast and On Demand or are you able to get a different fee or perhaps a credit back for not having access to On Demand?

Thanks
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #7772
tmesser

Once more unto the breach...

In September '07, I bought a TiVo HD and began a weeks-long CableCARD installation saga that ultimately had to be solved by Comcast Executive Care (in the days before Twitter and the we_can_help email). On January 13, I grabbed the $60 Woot.com Premiere, and it arrived Friday.

Knowing it would arrive Friday, on Thursday night I opened up a chat session with a Comcast rep who supposedly scheduled a CableCARD installation appointment for Sunday between 7:30am and 10:00am. Of course, that was too good to be true. I received two calls from Comcast on Friday and Saturday asking me "are you still having trouble with your CableCARDs?". I had to explain that I had made an appointment for an installation. The call had apparently been entered as a trouble ticket. The first rep who called me Friday said he'd fix it. I guess he did not, because I got the second call Saturday asking me the same thing. That rep explained to me that I would need to call again and make another appointment. Earliest available installation window is next Saturday, 4-7pm.

Any optimism I had about this going more smoothly than it did three years ago is fading quickly.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #7773
prostele

My Comcast CableCard experience has been great. I went to my local office and picked up a card. They told me the only additional charge to my account would be $1.50/month. I came home and after making a couple of calls to Comcast it works perfectly.
prostele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #7774
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
So do you guys have the same scenario with Comcast and On Demand or are you able to get a different fee or perhaps a credit back for not having access to On Demand?
You don't get OnDemand and they won't give you a credit. Having said that, I find no compelling need to have OnDemand - I've tried it before and it's mostly useless junk, plus you have a Tivo so record what you want to watch, not what they think you'd like. Plus the OnDemand playback interface is way inferior to Tivo, all you can do is ff and rew.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #7775
a68oliver

Isn't the OnDemand service supposed to also now be available over the Internet? I still haven't been able to figue out how to use it on the internet.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #7776
Old Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
You don't get OnDemand and they won't give you a credit. Having said that, I find no compelling need to have OnDemand - I've tried it before and it's mostly useless junk, plus you have a Tivo so record what you want to watch, not what they think you'd like. Plus the OnDemand playback interface is way inferior to Tivo, all you can do is ff and rew.
Agree. I simply don't wish to pay for a service I cannot get and wanted to know if anyone had worked a discount/lower fee or credit from Comcast.

Maybe I'll be the first and tell others how I got it....
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #7777
sgip2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostele View Post
My Comcast CableCard experience has been great. I went to my local office and picked up a card. They told me the only additional charge to my account would be $1.50/month. I came home and after making a couple of calls to Comcast it works perfectly.
If you have only 1 cablecard, there should be no charge.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #7778
tmesser

Has anyone in the Chicago suburbs been able to pick up a CableCARD and do a self-install? All of the nearby offices listed on the Comcast Web site do not show CableCARDs as being self-installable, so I am assuming this has not changed in the three years since I last did this.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #7779
Shelby11

FCC's intent was to offer consumers and option of purchasing retail navigation equipment or leasing the Cable providers Bos. Any additional "outlet' fees ontop of your payed subscription/CableCard would not be in the FCCs interest for consumers. Below is the consumer information provided on th FCC website. If you have the same concern I have about these additional charges for TIVO related devices, please file your complaint with the FCC.

Digital Cable Compatibility: CableCARDs and "Plug-and-Play" FCC
Consumer Facts

Background

If you subscribe to a digital cable service, you probably rent a set-top box from your cable operator. Did you know that you could buy a CableCARD-compatible (or “plug and play”) device instead? If you purchase a television or set-top box that is “CableCARD-ready” or “digital cable-ready,” you can watch cable television without renting a set-top box from your cable operator. All you need to do is purchase a plug-and-play device (such as a television or set-top box) from your nearest retailer and insert a CableCARD into the device. You can rent a CableCARD from your cable television company. CableCARDs typically cost between $2 and $4 per month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plug-and-Play Devices

A digital “plug-and-play” device is a television or set-top box that you can plug directly into your cable system to receive analog and many digital cable services without the need to lease a set-top box from your cable operator. Digital plug-and- play devices are marked as “digital cable-ready” or “CableCARD-ready.” Increasingly, cable services are being provided in a digital format because this format allows cable providers to offer a greater number of programming services over their existing cable network.

Benefits of Plug-and-Play

•Many consumers prefer the convenience (and cost savings) of being able to receive their cable programming without the need to lease a set-top box from their cable operator.

•You will be able to take your plug-and-play device anywhere in the country and know it will work on cable systems offering digital services – all that is needed is a cable operator-provided CableCARD.

•Your plug-and-play device may have features that the set-top box the cable operator leases does not, such as access to Internet video or advanced searching and recording functions.

Will It Work Like the Box I Lease from My Cable Operator?

Plug-and-play devices equipped with CableCARDs will permit you to receive “linear” (non on-demand) video programming – i.e., pre-scheduled programming that includes premium and high-definition services that you may subscribe to – but they will not provide access to most other interactive (two-way) services.

Your device manufacturer, retailer or cable operator can tell you if video-on-demand is available on a particular device.

Availability of Plug-and-Play Devices

Plug-and-play set-top boxes are currently in retail stores and available for sale on the Internet. To verify that you are buying a legitimate plug-and-play device, ask your retailer if it is “digital cable-ready” and look for the “CableCARD-ready” or “digital cable-ready” label. Manufacturers that use this label must meet certain technical standards and must complete a testing and verification process.

Setting Up a Digital Plug-and-Play Device

After you purchase a digital plug-and-play device, you will need to obtain a CableCARD from your cable operator. Some cable operators currently require one of their own technicians to install the CableCARD for you. By November 1, 2011, all cable operators will be required to allow you to install the CableCARD in your digital plug-and-play device yourself as long as your digital plug-and-play comes with instructions on how to install the CableCARD.

Problems with CableCARDs

Consumers who wish to file a complaint about CableCARDs or other equipment leased from their cable providers can do so at esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=&id=d1e650.

Viewing High-Definition Programming

Digital plug-and-play devices equipped with CableCARDs are able to access all of the high-definition programming that your cable operator offers.

For More Information

For more information about DTV in general, visit our DTV Web site at FCC.gov. You may also call our Consumer Center at: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice, or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY.
Shelby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #7780
tmesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
If you have only 1 cablecard, there should be no charge.
I suspect Comcast is still using the "T3ddvrcards" account code for anyone with a TiVo, even though that was originally intended for use with the TiVo S3 that required two cards.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #7781
sgip2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post
I suspect Comcast is still using the "T3ddvrcards" account code for anyone with a TiVo, even though that was originally intended for use with the TiVo S3 that required two cards.
Could be. I know they screwed the billing up on mine.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #7782
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby11 View Post
FCC's intent was to offer consumers and option of purchasing retail navigation equipment or leasing the Cable providers Bos. Any additional "outlet' fees ontop of your payed subscription/CableCard would not be in the FCCs interest for consumers. Below is the consumer information provided on th FCC website. If you have the same concern I have about these additional charges for TIVO related devices, please file your complaint with the FCC.
I am confused about what you are saying. Are you suggesting that the FCC's intent was for there to be no additional outlet charge for 2nd, 3rd, etc. devices on an account?

Don't the cable companies charge additional outlet fees for their leased boxes as well?

I didn't see anything in the document you quoted that suggests otherwise.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #7783
synch22

FWIW just downgraded today i have a series 3 and tivo hd. Previous charge for the second tivo was $8 + $1.50 additional outlet.

I was told since i am now on limited basic no A/O fee just $1.50 charge for each of the 3 cable cards.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #7784
arentol

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
I am confused about what you are saying. Are you suggesting that the FCC's intent was for there to be no additional outlet charge for 2nd, 3rd, etc. devices on an account?

Don't the cable companies charge additional outlet fees for their leased boxes as well?

I didn't see anything in the document you quoted that suggests otherwise.
I agree with your point in general, the direct removal of outlet charges was clearly not part of the FCC's intent.

I just don't understand why cable companies charge outlet fees at all. They should provide the service + one cable box. If you want additional cable boxes or cableCards then they should charge a rental fee for the device at a rate appropriate to recoup the cost of that device in a reasonable time period and then to make some additional profit the longer they keep the device in service.

There is no additional cost to them that I am aware of for having 3 TVs using their service at once in a household. So how do they justify charging extra fees for extra outlets in addition to fees for extra device rentals?
arentol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #7785
volcs1

I scheduled my appointment with a technician last week, confirming on the phone that he would bring an M-strem cablecard. This morning, they dispatch center called to confirm that the purpose of the install was to bring a cablecard. I took the day off of work to wait.

Tech just got here, said that they don't carry cablecards. He called around and cannot locate one. As he was leaving to go who-knows-where, I said, "it has to be an M-card." He had no idea what I was talking about.

I guess they exceeded my worst expectations. I don't know what's going to happen next.
volcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #7786
volcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcs1 View Post
I scheduled my appointment with a technician last week, confirming on the phone that he would bring an M-strem cablecard. This morning, they dispatch center called to confirm that the purpose of the install was to bring a cablecard. I took the day off of work to wait.

Tech just got here, said that they don't carry cablecards. He called around and cannot locate one. As he was leaving to go who-knows-where, I said, "it has to be an M-card." He had no idea what I was talking about.

I guess they exceeded my worst expectations. I don't know what's going to happen next.
Tech came back. He brought a card - I asked him if it was multistream - he had no idea. I took the card and tried to look it up. While I was doing that, he said, "Am I taking the Comcast DVR back with me?" I said not unless this card works. He said he could not test it without first de-commissioning (my words) the first unit. I renewed my efforts and trying to figure out what kind of card it was... sure enough, I found some posts from 2006 confirming it as a single-stream card. He left the house to go sit in the van and "make some calls." In the mean time, I called the CSR again, once again told them my story, and she had me hand him the phone. I listened to him explain to her that (in Chicago) the tech's do not get cards, they come from the warehouse only at certain times, blah, blah, blah. He gave me the phone back and left... probably glad to get out of my house. The CSR on the phone said she had no way to figure out if there are any cards available (in Chicago, mind you). She is going to talk to her supervisor and get back to me. Yeah, right - 5pm is coming up. I think I'll be needing to call back again tomorrow. What a freakin' nightmare. One day of work completely wasted.

But like I said... should I really be surprised?

Finally - a question.... is there a m-card in that Comcast DVR I have sitting here? Could I use that?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #7787
kjones1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
Isn't the OnDemand service supposed to also now be available over the Internet? I still haven't been able to figue out how to use it on the internet.
Just log on to comcast.net and look on the top left panel. I think the trick is logging in.

Sorry - I have not posted enough to add an image capture. Lame rule......

Good luck.
kjones1451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #7788
Truz

I was really hoping I wouldn't be one of these stories... but here I am.

Had a tech scheduled for Sunday, only to have them not show and then after the 2 hour period call me and say they need to reschedule because the card is out of stock. Awesome, the new appointment was for today 5-7.

Tech was here for 2 hours trying to get the M card to work. We kept getting stuck at the "Acquiring Channel List" screen. It won't budge from there. The tech finally left, telling me that a supervisor would be calling me. Somehow, I don't have full faith that I'll actually get that call.

I've actually email we_can_help@cable.comcast.com and got a pretty quick response. They asked for acct info and a number to reach me. Haven't heard anything back, but hopefully they can help.

What an ordeal this is! It shouldn't be this hard Comcast! I really want to love the new TiVo... but it's a useless box right now because Comcast can't get it's act together. What a headache.

Wish me luck... who knows when I'll get this working.
Truz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #7789
arentol

Received my new new-furb (refurb that has clearly never actually been used, or even taken out of the box) Premiere on Friday. Contacted Comcast sales via online chat to arrange a cablecard install. Set the Tivo up Monday night. Installer showed up as scheduled Tuesday between 1 and 3. Took a while, but he got it all set up and verified, and didn't leave until it was definitely done.

So chalk up one more good experience (aside from having to pay for him to come out) against the mounds of bad ones.
arentol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #7790
drhankz

Quote:

Finally - a question.... is there a m-card in that Comcast DVR I have sitting here? Could I use that?
Yes there is a CableCard in the Moto DVR. Is it a "S" or "M" Card?

You can tell by using the DVR.

If you can switch between channels with a swap button it is an "M" Card.

If you can only receive or record one channel then it is a "S" Card.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #7791
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The cablecard that's in the Cable company's box won't work in a TiVo unless it's reprogrammed. They're not that universal.

The M-card in my TiVo is clearly marked as a multistream card.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #7792
volcs1

Just got a call from Sandra in "corporate."

She said that there are no multistream cable cards "in the warehouse." They will be receiving some tomorrow, hopefully.

Really? In all of Chicagoland?

The next available install they could give me is in two days, provided they get the cards.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #7793
charlesd81

I am considering getting a Premiere and was going to have a CableCard installed. I live in PA. Will I still be able to download various shows to my PC? I am particularly interested in A&E and Investigation Discovery shows.
charlesd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #7794
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesd81 View Post
I am considering getting a Premiere and was going to have a CableCard installed. I live in PA. Will I still be able to download various shows to my PC? I am particularly interested in A&E and Investigation Discovery shows.
The simple answer to that is "it depends". It is all up to your cable provider. If they copy protect those channels, then no - you won't be able to download - at least not from digital channels. The Tivo simply honors the copy protection flag imposed by the cable provider.

In my case, with comcast, only premium channels such as HBO, etc, are protected. Other people with comcast report differently, so even within the same cable company, it can differ by location.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #7795
Truz

Tuesday night after my horrible experience, I emailed we_can_help@cable.comcast.com and they were a tremendous help.

They got back to me in 10 mins asking for my contact info. The next morning I received a call, and they sounded none to pleased at how the tech just left without the card working. They said they would be contacting the area supervisor immediately to fix things. They also said they did not want to have to send another tech.

Later that morning the area supervisor called me saying that the were problems on there end with the pairing, related specifically to how they had the outlet listed in the system. He said the problem should be fixed and to check it when I got home, and to call him.

Got home and IT WORKED! A miracle! I was only missing the 3D channels (ESPN 3d and Xfinity3d events) but he just had to go into he system and add these back onto the device and my account.

Over all the people at we_can_help@cable.comcast.com were a tremendous help, and very fast at resolving the situation. They even followed up later that day to make sure everything worked out with the supervisor. If you have any problems, email them, they will definitely help. I was so frustrated with the initial situation, but that email address saved me!
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #7796
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truz View Post
Over all the people at we_can_help@cable.comcast.com were a tremendous help, and very fast at resolving the situation. They even followed up later that day to make sure everything worked out with the supervisor. If you have any problems, email them, they will definitely help. I was so frustrated with the initial situation, but that email address saved me!
YES they are great when you ASK the Right People
for HELP. They have bailed me out more than once.

THREE CHEERS for Comcast Help
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #7797
Truz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
YES they are great when you ASK the Right People
for HELP. They have bailed me out more than once.

THREE CHEERS for Comcast Help
Definitely! Thanks to whoever originally posted that email address, because I found it on this forum.

Actually the Comcast Help followed up one more time this morning, to let me know they applied a credit to my account to cover the Cable TV portion of my bill and the old cable box charge for the month of January. Awesome!

Great support, when you finally can get in touch with people who know what they are talking about and know how to treat a customer.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #7798
volcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truz View Post
Definitely! Thanks to whoever originally posted that email address, because I found it on this forum.

Actually the Comcast Help followed up one more time this morning, to let me know they applied a credit to my account to cover the Cable TV portion of my bill and the old cable box charge for the month of January. Awesome!

Great support, when you finally can get in touch with people who know what they are talking about and know how to treat a customer.
I emailed and tweeted and never heard back via email from Comcast. I did finally hear back from local customer support via phone. Whether that was spurred by the comcastcares folks or not, I do not know. But I did get my issue resolved.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #7799
a68oliver

Quote:
I emailed and tweeted and never heard back via email from Comcast. I did finally hear back from local customer support via phone. Whether that was spurred by the comcastcares folks or not, I do not know. But I did get my issue resolved.
The phone call probably was a result of your email. When I had a problem, I emailed them and the next day I got a call from the regional office. She referred to my email as the reason for my call. And, yes, she was able to resolve my problem to my satsifaction.
Tivo HD November 2007
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #7800
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

So the Comcast guy came today to install a CC into my Premiere. He spent awhile waiting for the card to register, and then noticed on his handheld gizmo that it appeared to be wanting him to close out the job. As soon as he closed out the job (I had to sign the screen of the gizmo) I had all of my channels.

When the card was in but not registered I only had limited basic: SD and HD locals plus minimal cable channels up to ~25.

It was nice to have the visit go more or less the way it was supposed to.

Still have no signal on the TiVoHD upstairs even though everything else (S2 with and without DTA as well as the cable modem) works just fine up there. No idea what that's all about.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote