TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #7741
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
My DTA has a port for an external IR receiver.
I have (2) Cisco DTAs on my Comcast Account.

THANK GOD they have nothing to do with my TiVo.
I have CableCard in my TiVo.

After two years with DTA - they are nothing but a nightmare.
I'm still working with Comcast Tech Support to get them to
work reliably. They keep loosing the Encryption Keys. I have
replaced units. Tech Support has been here multiple times
and found nothing wrong. Maybe they will work better in your
area.

I am working with we_can_help@comcast.com now to try and
get things fixed.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #7742
Rkkeller

What do I have to do to be able to get a PPV? I was going to call Comcast but wanted to see what people here do first.

Do I need something else to connect to my TiVo or an entire separate box?

Thanks,

Rich
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #7743
matt2hews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
I was able to get a card from the Comcast office, but couldn't get customer service to activate it properly. Even tried the ComcastCares people on twitter. Ended up having a tech come out.
Has anyone successfully completed a self-install or is the only method to get a tech visit?
matt2hews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #7744
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2hews View Post
Has anyone successfully completed a self-install or is the only method to get a tech visit?
Being able to do a self-install seems to depend on your location. A number of users (including myself) in the Comcast Seattle and Portland areas have picked up their own cards and called in and got them activated usually without any problems. I'm sure I've read of other successful self-installs in other parts of the country posted here.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #7745
Lostie4ever

Big Grin Easy comcast cablecard install

I am a new Tivo user and a Comcast customer. I was able to install my cablecard with no problem and no service call. It is very simple to do yourself.
My suggestions....
1. When you call Comcast and get tech support, have the tech repeat the number back to you. That way you know it is correct.
2. Wait and be patient! From my experience it took about 20 minutes or so for everything to sync up so I could watch an encrypted channel after the activation. It was not instantaneous as the how to's from Tivo suggest.
3. Before you attempt the cablecard install......do all the other setup of Tivo first and then tackle the cablecard.

Bottom line...it is a really simple process. Save your money and do not pay for a comcast service call. Hope your install goes as easily as mine!
Lostie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #7746
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2hews View Post
Nope. The last time my cable cards went out it had nothing to do with the cable cards and was a problem with the signal coming in. They often have multiple problems to deal with. I'm a pretty smart guy and have yet to get a cable card to work over the phone. In fact, it has always taken multiple truck rolls and cards to find one they can get to work.

The good news is, once they get them working here they worked for years. Then one day they just went out and I had to do the whole thing again. Unfortunately, by the time it happened I'd forgotten most of what I knew about cable cards and had to come back here and deal with the whole thing from scratch. I just went through this last week.

Honest to God if DirecTV ever gets TiVo back I'm going to jump ship on Comcast so fast it will make one's head spin. I never had a single problem with their service.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #7747
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie4ever View Post
I am a new Tivo user and a Comcast customer. I was able to install my cablecard with no problem and no service call. It is very simple to do yourself.
My suggestions....
1. When you call Comcast and get tech support, have the tech repeat the number back to you. That way you know it is correct.
2. Wait and be patient! From my experience it took about 20 minutes or so for everything to sync up so I could watch an encrypted channel after the activation. It was not instantaneous as the how to's from Tivo suggest.
3. Before you attempt the cablecard install......do all the other setup of Tivo first and then tackle the cablecard.

Bottom line...it is a really simple process. Save your money and do not pay for a comcast service call. Hope your install goes as easily as mine!
I agree it's a simple process. But some locations refuse to activate the card without a tech.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #7748
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie4ever View Post
This is totally dependent on area right now until they implement the new FCC rules requiring self-install. You have to have a tech roll here but fortunately the process goes a lot smoother now than it did a couple of years ago.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #7749
matt2hews

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This is totally dependent on area right now until they implement the new FCC rules requiring self-install. You have to have a tech roll here but fortunately the process goes a lot smoother now than it did a couple of years ago.
I went to my local service center in Atlanta and the person said that they do not have M-cards at the service center. So, she scheduled a tech visit for Monday. I have some special circumstances where a stranger in the home can be upsetting to a member of my household. Due to this, the tech will come to the house only to drop off the card. The charge will be $9.95 for the delivery.
matt2hews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #7750
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2hews

I went to my local service center in Atlanta and the person said that they do not have M-cards at the service center. So, she scheduled a tech visit for Monday. I have some special circumstances where a stranger in the home can be upsetting to a member of my household. Due to this, the tech will come to the house only to drop off the card. The charge will be $9.95 for the delivery.
The hard part isn't physically installing the cards, the hard part is getting someone on the phone at Comcast that has a clue on how to enter the pairing info. There's the Twitter route, but Comcast needs to train their CSRs on entering the pairing numbers.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #7751
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

We'll be rolling the dice again next weekend; I have a CC installation scheduled for my new Woot! Premiere.

The CSR told me that I'd only pay $1.75 more/month for the CC in the second TiVo. Hope that sticks, since that's less than the additional outlet fee I was expecting.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #7752
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The hard part isn't physically installing the cards, the hard part is getting someone on the phone at Comcast that has a clue on how to enter the pairing info. There's the Twitter route, but Comcast needs to train their CSRs on entering the pairing numbers.
I agree; note that this has nothing to do with whether a Comcast tech is at your house.

My first attempt was with a tech who had no idea what he was doing.
The second attempt was with a more experienced tech who knew the secret number for someone in "connectivity" who fixed the problem remotely in about 3 minutes.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #7753
volcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I agree; note that this has nothing to do with whether a Comcast tech is at your house.

My first attempt was with a tech who had no idea what he was doing.
The second attempt was with a more experienced tech who knew the secret number for someone in "connectivity" who fixed the problem remotely in about 3 minutes.
So, the question remains - when setting up the technician call (my Woot! Premiere is coming on Monday), do we need to ask/request anything special? Anything we can do to increase the chances of a successful visit? I fell like I'm about to go to the dentist to have my tooth pulled...
volcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #7754
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

If there's any doubt you should make sure they have a multi-stream card (I believe that's all they stock now). The Premiere only has one slot so it needs an M-Card.

When the first installer failed I insisted that the second one be an actual Comcast employee experienced in TiVo cablecard installation rather than a contractor, and Comcast met that requirement the second time around.

My earlier experience was before Comcast's current focus on improved customer service (e.g., they now compensate you is the tech is late or doesn't solve the problem in the first visit) although I may have gotten them to waive the installation fee last time. Maybe it's gotten better in the ~2 years since my TiVoHD experience...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #7755
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcs1 View Post
Anything we can do to increase the chances of a successful visit?
The Tivo will come packed with cablecard installation instructions. Make sure you complete all the pre-visit steps before the technician arrives. It will shorten the length of time for the visit and increase the odds of success.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #7756
Shelby11

2011 Comcast Cable Card price increase to $8.50

I was stunned today to hear CC wanted $8.50 per month for a cable card for my WOOT TIVO premier. When I questioned about the other 2 cards on my account that I only pay $1.50, she said the price will increase to $8.50 on those also when my account gets updated with the new 2011 pricing. Houston-TX area.

That's Crazy!! Increase the cosy by over 500% and get nothing additional?

I'm looking for any new filings for FCC or other consumer violations that comcast may have created with this latest comsumer scam? Where can I file or add my name to complaint list.
Shelby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #7757
Lostie4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby11 View Post
I was stunned today to hear CC wanted $8.50 per month for a cable card for my WOOT TIVO premier. When I questioned about the other 2 cards on my account that I only pay $1.50, she said the price will increase to $8.50 on those also when my account gets updated with the new 2011 pricing. Houston-TX area.
I live just outside of Houston in the Sugar Land / Richmond area. When I picked up my comcast cablecard a few days ago they also told me it would be $8.50 a month. I even had their new price sheet in my hand and made mention that is not what it says on the price sheet. They shrugged their shoulders and said 8.50 is what it is going to cost me.

When I get my 1st bill showing what they are charging me I will definitely call and complain if it is indeed 8.50!
Lostie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #7758
a68oliver

What did the price sheet say it should cost? Is that for a Digital Additional Outlet?
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #7759
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

$8.50 is about what I was expecting for a second digital outlet with a cablecard (the first digital outlet is included in the normal fees). My Comcast CSR told me I'd only pay $1.75, though. I'd like to believe him. Maybe it's because we're going all-digital here. Kind of hard to charge me extra for "digital" when the outlet currently has a free DTA on it.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #7760
Shelby11

FCC failed us!!

This is a copied portion of FCC changes in Oct-2010, effecting how Cable providers can charge for Cablecards. I hope everyone sends their frustration to the FCC on this!!

Page 11 of 59
The proposed rule also was intended to ensure that the price that subscribers
pay for CableCARDs in retail devices is the same as the price that subscribers pay for CableCARDs that
are affixed to leased devices.

Full FCC report.
fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2010/db1014/FCC-10-181A1.pdf
Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #7761
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Eh. It just ensures that a CableCard rental isn't more than the rental for a Set Top Box - They could charge $10 for the CC and 50 cents for the STB minus the CC and be fully compliant with that rule.

Not sure what you were expecting though - a hard upper limit on CC rental cost?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #7762
ajainy

That's what on comcast website.

Just read on comcast website
Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #7763
ajainy

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...blecard%20
Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #7764
Gridlock Joe

I was expecting the worst today when I took the old Comcast DVR back to their Bellaire (Houston) office to trade it in for a cable card.

I got the card right away, and was told there would be no monthly charge.

The call to pair the card and the TiVo went smoothly as well.
Gridlock Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #7765
Shelby11

First CableCard or box(outlet) is free. Just don't ask for a second cablecard.

After several more emails with Comcast today, in 2011 they have changed how they process CableCards. Each card is now billed as an outlet, which is now $8.50 on top of the CableCard fee of $1.50. So now each additional Tivo will be billed $10 by Comcast monthly. Existing Comcast CableCard customers will not see the increase until 2012, unless new cards are added to your account....as in my case.

I say several emails to comcast, because they will not just answer my questions and any answers they do provide just leaves me with more questions.

I still have another email pending and will provide additional updates as I get them.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #7766
morac
Cat God

Comcast stopped billing me for my 3 cards (2 in S3, 1 in Premiere) a few months back. I've never been charged an outlet fee.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #7767
jbarm

Wanted to report in a positive experience.

I currently have a Comcast HD DVR (provided for free in a promotional package) and I am keeping it for a while.

Went to the local Comcast office on 1.22.11 to ask for M-Card for my refurbed Premiere ($65 from Woot deal), expecting to be rejected. Walked right in at opening asked for card, agent walks back to a cabinet and selects a M-Card out of a dozen or so sitting on a shelf.

Hands it to me. I ask how much extra I will be charged, she says $1.50. I said plus an extra outlet fee? No, she said, just $1.50 and wrote down the amount for me to confirm. Hope that she is right. :-)

Take it home and do the setup (download firmware updates, do prelim setup of Tivo). This is my third Tivo so this is old hat for me (but first Cablecard install). Takes about 1 hour to get everything updated from Tivo.

Insert cablecard, get serial numbers and other info needed. Spend a few hours in the evening doing other non-Tivo stuff, call Comcast at about midnight. Number they gave me to activate was wrong, it was a number to activate a set top box or DTA. Call Comcast at 1 800 Comcast.

Talk to rep, she had dealt with Tivos before, but was going off of a script. Read her a few numbers, she repeated back without prompting.

She "hit" my Tivo a couple of times. Went on hold for 5 mins. Tested channels, nothing. Waited another few minutes -- had all channels, including HBO and all hi def.

Checked pairing and validation codes. Golden.

1/2 hour actual time to self install cablecards. Much, much better than I expected. I guess the horror stories tend to magnify the problem or I am lucky.

Good job Comcast (hard to believe, but true).

jb
jbarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #7768
Shelby11

Reply from comcast, regarding outlet fee and CableCards.

"Thank you for your reply. I understand you're inquiring about additional outlet charge. I understand the importance of having this issue addressed. I am more than willing to assist in order to address your concern.
Regarding your inquiry, Comcast will charge additional $8.50 charge for additional digital outlet. If you have further concern regarding your bill, please feel free to contact our billing phone support at
1-800-934-6489 during business hours which is from 8am to 5pm, EST, Mondays through Fridays."
Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #7769
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

As with everything Comcast, this varies by area. It is still possible to get an extra card for $1.50/mo. if you tell them you need an additional card to go with your first one, but everything after the second card would be $8.50/mo. here.

I have two Tivo HDs and no charge for first card, $1.50/mo. for second. All of this will likely change as they implement the FCC rules to standardize card charges for all devices.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #7770
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
+1

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote