TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #7711
Gregg 00SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcs1 View Post
First of all, thanks for the advice here - I've just spent about 30 minutes reading, trying to get my bearings.

To summarize and get some advice....

I just ordered a TiVo Premiere (Sellout Woot today). I am in Chicago.

Based on what I've seen here, it might be easier to have the tech come out, rather than fight with the store and then fight with the activation CSRs.

Regarding an M card and not an S card - is this something I can specify when I order the service call? Is this something they can push back on?

Anything else to consider? This is like getting my drivers license... I'm trying to prepare in advance as much as possible to avoid the pain, but I know it is going to hurt anyway...

Thanks for the advice.
Thanks for info on the woot sellout. I just about pulled the trigger on a new one via Tivo and would have been stuck with 19.99 plan. With the woot deal and the lower per month contract it will pay for itself in 9 months.

Can't wait to get rid of Comcast's crappy DVR menu system.
Gregg 00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #7712
Gregg 00SS

Follow up question having read some info on Comcast's website. Sorry if this has been asked a million times, didn't feel like reading through 258 pages of posts. Their website says:

Quote:
Will Comcast provide me with CableCARDs for my TiVo Series 3 HD set-top box?

Yes. You may order the CableCARDs from Comcast. One (1) CableCARD is needed to record one HD digital cable channel at a time. If you would like to record two (2) HD digital cable channels at once, two CableCARDs are required.
Does this mean I need 2 cablecards if I want to be able to record 2 HD channels at a time with my Tivo?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #7713
Puppy76

If I'm remembering correctly, if it's a Series 3 (actually labeled as Series 3) it needs two cards. If it's a Tivo HD or Premiere, it needs two S-cards, or one M-card (the 'M' standing for "multistream", I guess).
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #7714
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
If I'm remembering correctly, if it's a Series 3 (actually labeled as Series 3) it needs two cards. If it's a Tivo HD or Premiere, it needs two S-cards, or one M-card (the 'M' standing for "multistream", I guess).
Simplest way to describe the Series 3 is to just refer to it as the one with the alphanumeric/bitmap display on the front panel.

The Series 3 doesn't support M-cards in multi-stream mode, so you need 2 cards, either S or M type, to use both tuners. Each CableCARD rund in single stream mode.

The TiVo HD can use on or two S-cards (though if just one is used, only one tuner is enabled) or one M-card (enabling both tuners).

The TiVo Premiere can use one S-card or one M-card, but if it has the S-Card, only one tuner will be enabled (there are not 2 CableCARD slots on the Premiere).

I believe it could still use the second tuner, it just wouldn't be able to use it for channels that had to be tuned with a CableCARD. But it's been awhile since I had tried that so maybe I don't remember correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #7715
Gregg 00SS

Thank you for the clarification, I knew something didn't sound right as I didn't see any posts on here concerning multiple cards unless they owned multiple Tivo units. I have purchased a premiere so 1 M-card will take care of it.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #7716
E94Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

The TiVo Premiere can use one S-card or one M-card, but if it has the S-Card, only one tuner will be enabled (there are not 2 CableCARD slots on the Premiere).
I have read here somewhere in the forum said that Premiere doesn't accept the S-Card at all only M-Card.
E94Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #7717
volcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS View Post
Thank you for the clarification, I knew something didn't sound right as I didn't see any posts on here concerning multiple cards unless they owned multiple Tivo units. I have purchased a premiere so 1 M-card will take care of it.
Is this something open for debate with Comcast? Can I just request an 'M' card when I set up the appointment? Will the tech have both kinds?
volcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #7718
Gregg 00SS

I have no idea. I haven't spoken with Comcast yet, once my Premiere gets delivered I will contact them. But I would assume you can get either a M or S card depending on the needs of the system you are using. Comcast has a decent cablecard FAQ on their page that answers some of the basic questions. Their page does state the first card is free, extra cards cost a small fee and it does require a technician to come to your house and install.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #7719
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

AFAIK the cable companies only use M-cards now.

If you look at the back of a Premiere, near the Cable Card slot it says an M-Card is required. Unlike earlier models there's only one slot.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #7720
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
The tivo update for pixelation was for users who had too strong of a signal. Mainly FIOS users.

You can check the signal strength from the diagnostic screen. It should be close to 100% without being over 100.
My signal has been anywhere from 80-90. Haven't seen anymore pixellation issues, but I'm still getting occasionally hiccups with the HD menus.

Also, went to unhook my tivo and the Comcast tech had put the cable on so tight that I needed a wrench to undo it!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #7721
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Dad View Post
Nowadays they call it "tiling", because the picture breaks up into tiles. Welcome to the new digital wonderland. This stuff is far more sensitive to bad connections than analog signals.

The problem is most likely in the signal coming in from the network, or the wiring in your house somewhere. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the TiVo, especially if it's just some but not all channels. If the signal coming in from the pole is OK then it could be a number of things in your house, including the length of the coaxial cable, a kink in a cable, or a loose connector somewhere. But every time you mention you have a TiVo, you run the risk of having a rep just try to get rid of you by blaming the TiVo and passing you on to someone else. Don't let them do that.
I know. They had already replaced the ends on all of the cables in the wall. And I got the tech to check the signal coming from that. Turned out there was a bad amp upline. However, my problem didn't go away once they fixed it.

The good news is that the Tivo update seems to have fixed the problem.

Quote:
In my case, after they checked all the wires in my house they eventually found the problem was water inside a tap up on a pole two houses away. I was getting tiling on only some channels, and only on winter mornings here in California when the water got close to freezing. It took over a year to convince them to look in that direction, because the inside techs and the outside Network linemen are almost like warring factions inside Comcast. I had to escalate this to Comcast Corporate (higher than ComcastCares, which may not have existed at the time), before Network agreed to cooperate.
I escalated my cable card issue to ComcastCares, but it didn't do any good. They still required a tech to come out and wouldn't activate the cable card over the phone.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #7722
TonyCat81

Gotta love Comcast...
I just upgraded to the Triple Play HD Premier but I can't get HBO, Starz, Showtime, or Cinemax with my CableCard. All these forums say what needs to be done but so far a half-dozen people at Comcast can't figure it out. I don't know what's more frustrating: their lack of knowledge on the subject, or the fact that if the DVR they offer wasn't such a piece of junk I wouldn't be in this boat in the first place.
TonyCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #7723
TonyCat81

OK since I kinda ripped Comcast, now I should tell everyone the happy ending to my problem. I emailed Comcast at their "We Can Help" address: we_can_help@comcast.com
I included my phone number associated with my account and my CableCARD ID, Host ID, and Data #. Within a few hours, on a Saturday, I got a call back from someone in their executive help center (or something like that) who was very knowledgeable with M Cards and TiVo. He said they are aware that their normal techs are not well trained in setting up these cards properly and he has been tasked with standardizing that. After verifying the numbers for my card he immediately noticed that they weren't the same on Comcast's end. Woulda been nice if one of the other 10 or so people I talked to at Comcast noticed that, but oh well. So anyway, he fixed those numbers, re-sent the pairing signal, and all my channels are now working. Just wanted to let everyone know that Comcast is aware of this issue with their techs and there is at least one person there who knows how to help.
TonyCat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #7724
xtvium

Question Comcast CC charge with basic cable?

Hello, I am in Atlanta/Decatur area. I just moved from OTA to Comcast internet + basic local cable package. I also have a TiVo Premiere unit. Yesterday I called Comcast to ask them if I needed a cablecard to be able to use my TiVo with basic cable and was told yes. And it would be a $1.50 per TiVo per month and would require a truck role. I asked them isn't the first Cablecard supposed to be free and was told yes it is but since my basic cable is analog, I need to pay $1.50.

Question: Am I being given correct info here or should I insist on free first (and only) cablecard? Also, was anyone in the Atlanta metro area able to do a self install?

TIA.

Last edited by xtvium : 01-16-2011 at 08:59 AM.
xtvium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #7725
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I seem to recall that the 1st CC is included with a digital package, but not with basic. I could be wrong...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #7726
xtvium

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I seem to recall that the 1st CC is included with a digital package, but not with basic. I could be wrong...
But doesn't the basic cable include analog + clear QAM channels + local HD broadcasts?
xtvium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #7727
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I think so. AFAIK, Comcast still says you have to subscribe to "digital tier" to get a free CC.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #7728
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think so. AFAIK, Comcast still says you have to subscribe to "digital tier" to get a free CC.
As analog tiers of any sort completely disappear, so will this requirement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #7729
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

There is still "basic cable" with no channels above 100, even if those basic channels are digital. Or isn't there?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #7730
volcs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCat81 View Post
OK since I kinda ripped Comcast, now I should tell everyone the happy ending to my problem. I emailed Comcast at their "We Can Help" address: we_can_help@comcast.com
I included my phone number associated with my account and my CableCARD ID, Host ID, and Data #. Within a few hours, on a Saturday, I got a call back from someone in their executive help center (or something like that) who was very knowledgeable with M Cards and TiVo. He said they are aware that their normal techs are not well trained in setting up these cards properly and he has been tasked with standardizing that. After verifying the numbers for my card he immediately noticed that they weren't the same on Comcast's end. Woulda been nice if one of the other 10 or so people I talked to at Comcast noticed that, but oh well. So anyway, he fixed those numbers, re-sent the pairing signal, and all my channels are now working. Just wanted to let everyone know that Comcast is aware of this issue with their techs and there is at least one person there who knows how to help.
So, was this after doing a self-install or after the tech came out? Do you think I would be better off trying to get the card to do a self-install or having the tech out? I'm normally a DIY guy, but I want the past of least resistance here... Thanks for the advice.
volcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #7731
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCat81 View Post
Wish that had been my experience. Even though I provided them with all of the info, they insisted a tech needed to be sent out.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #7732
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

BTW, it looks like my channels are back to being screwed up. Not sure what's goin' on.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #7733
WVZR1

Quote:

The 1st "free" in each device isn't restricted in most Comcast franchised areas. Basic cable will generally get you the "locals" both analog and "HD" plus sometimes various others. The CableCard enables the guide and locks the "clear QAM" to the Comcast channel assignments.

There's sometimes a "snag" when they convince you to go "digital" and HD, now the second device is considered an "HD outlet" and you pay "the fee"! The 1st card is still free!!

Basic cable, "BASIC CABLE" locals only + will in most franchise areas entitle you to 1 free CableCard in 2 devices and NO outlet fees. NO charge for 2 cards! Do NOT ask for digital or HD services!!

Visit the local office, familiarize yourself with the rate card first and ask questions!! You need to be able to ask an intelligent question to get a responsible answer and results.

Last edited by WVZR1 : 01-18-2011 at 07:22 PM.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #7734
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
Wish that had been my experience. Even though I provided them with all of the info, they insisted a tech needed to be sent out.
They did the same with me. The tech came out on a Sunday to boot. Turned out the M-card the office gave me was bad. He popped in a new card, called the office with the numbers, and it was on in 2 minutes.

Then the next day, I came home to find "Channel Not Authorized" on every channel. Another call, and they determined the tech had never had them send a pair signal (said I was getting the last users channel map, or something like that). Told me to wait 20 minutes, and reboot my Tivo. I waited an hour to be sure, and with phone in hand, ready to call them back, I rebooted. It worked. Came home today, and its all still working, so guess they finally fixed it.

It wasnt a simple process, compared to DirecTv, but hopefully all is now good.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #7735
jbernardis

I have my series 1 tivo installed in my vacation home at the jersey shore. I am not using any kind of cable box, just have the coax connected directly to the tivo. I am able to receive analog channels just fine.

However, the local operator has informed us that they are switching to all digital and that I need to get either a cable box or a digitla adaptor for this tv. I am leaning towards the adaptor simply because it's free. I know it only hooks up through RF/channel 3, but that is OK with me. The question I have is: does the tivo have this device in its database - will I be able to hook up an IR flasher and change channels through the tivo?

Thanks
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #7736
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
The question I have is: does the tivo have this device in its database - will I be able to hook up an IR flasher and change channels through the tivo?
Yes.

http://www3.tivo.com/form-apps/show....DTA/index.html
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1381

The device I selected from the list when repeating Guided Setup was Comcast Digital Adaptor.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #7737
jbernardis

Quote:
Yes.

http://www3.tivo.com/form-apps/show....DTA/index.html
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1381

The device I selected from the list when repeating Guided Setup was Comcast Digital Adaptor.
Thank you - I had no way of determining this for myself since I won't be down to the island until May.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #7738
myyours

How's everyone's experience been with upgrading to a new unit? In my case, I'd like to switch from an HD to a Premiere.

When you upgraded, did the process get any easier? Was it a simple "Call and have them pair it" or was it like starting from scratch and you ended up going through a half dozen truck rolls?

I'm intrigued by the new UI and the iPad app, but I'm not sure if those are worth it for all the trouble.

we_can_help@comcast.com ended up doing the job for me with the HD originally, but it seems that even that can lead to some headaches.

Thoughts anyone?
myyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #7739
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I should know in a week or two. I'll still have the TiVoHD but I'll be displacing an S2 when the Premiere arrives.

Last edited by pdhenry : 01-19-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #7740
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Thank you - I had no way of determining this for myself since I won't be down to the island until May.
My DTA has a port for an external IR receiver. Someone sells an opto-isolated patch cable that you can use to connect directly from the IR out on a TiVo to the IR in on such a DTA. I think I saw that by searching around here for "DTA."

ETA: here

It won't work just to run a regular patch cord between the two, by the way...