TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #2971
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Kevin, not sure if you noticed that VRD v4 indicated in their latest release notes that ffmpeg is now an option for decode/encode. Not sure how fully it is being supported or incorporated yet, but opens up new possibilities for encoding options in kmttg it seems.
They have ffmpeg muxer (not encoder) as an option in latest VRD v4 (it's not enabled by default but you can turn on an option to enable it). I asked Dan if they were considering option to use x264 for H.264 encoding (which is what ffmpeg uses for H.264) but he said that while there is a commercial licensing option for x264 they have not yet decided to license it. i.e. They are still using Mainconcept or similar licensed software for H.264 encoding, not ffmpeg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #2972
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
They have ffmpeg muxer (not encoder) as an option in latest VRD v4 (it's not enabled by default but you can turn on an option to enable it). I asked Dan if they were considering option to use x264 for H.264 encoding (which is what ffmpeg uses for H.264) but he said that while there is a commercial licensing option for x264 they have not yet decided to license it. i.e. They are still using Mainconcept or similar licensed software for H.264 encoding, not ffmpeg.
That's weird. From this post on 1-15 by DanR, it makes it sound like ffmpeg can be used for encoding too.

Quote:
Build 611 has been posted.

1. Basic support for MKV files, both reading and creating. Additional features such as chapters and subtitling to follow in subsequent releases.

2. Quite a few improvements to the WTV reader, especially if there are areas of protected content in the file.

3. Fix for the intermittent dual-pass encoding of WTV source to H.264 output. The same fix also addresses the intermittent stall when creating multi-title DVDs from WTV files.

4. MP4 files can be read and written with the FFmpeg libraries (now included in the distribution) or the Mainconcept libraries (the default). Switch between them using Shift+Tools>Options #63.

5. New option #64, to store the H264 SPS and PPS directly in the MP4 frame rather than the MP4 header.

Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #2973
moyekj

Look at release notes for latest version:
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ad.php?t=24328
Specifically:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR
[Change] MP4: Use FFmpeg muxer to read/write MP4 files rather than Mainconcept muxer. Set via Shift+T>O #63.
i.e. I believe it's ffmpeg-based mux/demux only that currently can be set to be used in place of Mainconcept mux/demux for mp4 container.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #2974
txporter
One sec, almost done

Bummer. Oh well. Could have opened up a lot of possibilities, especially if they had a full build of ffmpeg in there.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #2975
jbernardis

Based on a thread I have been participating in over at the VRD forum, Dan (if it's the same Dan) said that ffmpeg encoding WILL be supported in an upcoming beta. That was just 2 or 3 days ago that he posted that. SO maybe something is coming soon.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #2976
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Based on a thread I have been participating in over at the VRD forum, Dan (if it's the same Dan) said that ffmpeg encoding WILL be supported in an upcoming beta. That was just 2 or 3 days ago that he posted that. SO maybe something is coming soon.
Can you post a link to the relevant VRD thread(s)?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #2977
jbernardis

Quote:
Can you post a link to the relevant VRD thread(s)?
Here is the link:

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...ad.php?t=27922

Post number 7 is the one I was thinking of, although on rereading it he does say muxer, so maybe it's not what I was thinking.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #2978
moyekj

Yes I've been following and posted in that thread. Currently it's just the muxer. DanR mentioned they considered licensing x264 encoder before but mentioned that is much bigger effort to integrate into VRD compared to muxer code, so I doubt it's in the works for the short term.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #2979
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy

Sorry, no, not as it stands. I'll see about adding that part in though!
Is your metadata files option set to encodeFile? I don't know if that matters or not. Mine is set to "last".

This will do both [encodeFile] and [metaFile]:

::MoveFile.bat
@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL

Edit: Let me know if your metadata files option is set to "all". I'm not sure what [metaFile] would resolve to in that case!
Orangeboy:

Thanks for the script. Everything seems to work great. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #2980
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Orangeboy:

Thanks for the script. Everything seems to work great. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
No problem! I enjoy writing file manipulation scripts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #2981
mattack

Not really funny, but my S3 drive is dead, so I don't think I'll need the now playing limit anytime soon (unless I find a way to somehow resurrect the drive).

I will post more details later, but I see a fair amount of "server busy" failures when downloading.. it then tries again and works (the vast majority of the time).

Also, last night I tried to Refresh and download an episode of the Tonight Show right after it had finished recording. It would successfully download the metadata file, but would NOT download the file -- it would say resource busy. I tried a whole ton of times in a row.. then maybe 10 mins later, I tried again, and it worked.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #2982
mattack

I put my orig S3 drive back in (because the replacement drive is 'dead'.. I'm hoping it's a firmware issue that I see mentioned in many places, and maybe I can just get a controller card for the drive to revive it)..

anyway, kmttg still seems to think the drive is the original size..
it says 320 shows (accurate), 210 GB used, 620 GB free.. I definitely don't have 620 GB free.. It seems to think I still have the 1 TB drive in. (I never manually put in size info in kmttg)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #2983
moyekj

You have to specify drive size by entering number in GB and hitting return as documented (and as indicated by the tooltip that comes up when you hover over the Total Disk Space field).

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #2984
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

anyone upgrade Handbrake to .9.5? Is it a drop in replacement or will I need a new encoding profile?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #2985
myasus

Hi moyekj,
Thanks for your hard work on this great problem. I just tried to use this to replace Tivo Desktop. But I got some confusion problems. I recorded several HD recordings during ONE broadcasting program. But when I tried to download them to my PC, I got incomplete download without any error messages. Here is an example log info I got:
Quote:
Tennis - Australian Open, Round of 16
Recorded Sun 01/23/2011 07:00 PM on 574=ESPN2HD, Duration = 147 mins
From Melbourne, Australia.
>> DOWNLOADING/DECRYPTING TO g:\\2011.01.23.19.00.HDTVRip.mpg ...
"F:\TIVO\kmttg_v0p7s\curl\curl.exe" --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar "xxx\cookie9020519314622809643.tmp" --url "http: //192.168.1.205:80/download/Tennis.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=2365485" | "F:\TIVO\kmttg_v0p7s\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe" --mak MAK --out "g:\\2011.01.23.19.00.HDTVRip.mpg" -
Configuration saved to file: F:\TIVO\kmttg_v0p7s\config.ini
Refreshing encoding profiles
g:\\2011.01.23.19.00.HDTVRip.mpg: size=18325.50 MB elapsed=4:46:05 (8.96 Mbps)
---DONE--- job=download_decrypt output=g:\\2011.01.23.19.00.HDTVRip.mpg
This file supposed to be 20.2G instead of 18G. Is this because I tried to download and decrypt at the same time? It is painful to re-download all these huge files from beginning again. Since I do not have MRV, is there any other trick to walk around this problem?

A couple suggestions:
1. Is it possible to add another ID keyword to file name formatting? For one long live broadcast, I'd like to stop recording in the middle (after one match finished) then restart recording to generate separate smaller files. Now I have to change file naming configure to add all the separate jobs. Tivo Desktop will add "(1)", "(2)" etc to download file names automatically. I guess it would be easy for kmttg to use ID keyword directly.
2. It would be nice if user can change the order of pending jobs

Again, thanks for this great program.
myasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #2986
moyekj

myasus, note that the file size a recording occupies on TiVo is different than the file size you get after download (TiVo reformats the file on the fly during TTG and resulting reformatted recording is ALWAYS smaller than on TiVo itself typically in 3-10% range), so it's likely the download in example above is indeed complete - check the time with mediainfo or a media player.

I'll have to see if I can add an option in kmttg to make file name unique if a file of same name already exists at destination. It's actually harder than it sounds to code up that behavior given there could be a pipeline of subsequent jobs already expecting certain file names to be used. There already is an option to prevent file overwriting which will prevent inadvertent file overrides.

For changing order of pending jobs well the simple workaround is to cancel them and then re-queue in order you want.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #2987
myasus

Quote:
so it's likely the download in example above is indeed complete - check the time with mediainfo or a media player.
Thanks for your quick response. I already met several cases that the downloaded files are incomplete. I checked the playback on Tivo, the matches are completed at the end. But the files I downloaded are not For example that I recorded one broadcast into 4 parts: 15G, 12G, 10G, and 23G. When I tried to download 15G and 12G parts, it all stopped at ~10G. Since I can not resume the incomplete downloads, I had to re-download all of them via Tivo Desktop

Quote:
It's actually harder than it sounds to code up that behavior given there could be a pipeline of subsequent jobs already expecting certain file names to be used.
What I suggested is to provide another Naming Keyword: ID. You can just use the Tivo recording ID number which supposed to be unique. Curl is using this id to download so your program should have already parsed that.

Quote:
There already is an option to prevent file overwriting which will prevent inadvertent file overrides.
But I had to change the naming format before adding new download job every time

Quote:
For changing order of pending jobs well the simple workaround is to cancel them and then re-queue in order you want.
I am manually using this way now. Since the downloading is so slow, I have a long waiting line

By the way, I am thinking to get my Tivo HD PROM modified because of the lack of ability to resume and slow download speed. Do you have an idea how fast can I download via MFS_ftp server after modification?
myasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #2988
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by myasus View Post
Thanks for your quick response. I already met several cases that the downloaded files are incomplete. I checked the playback on Tivo, the matches are completed at the end. But the files I downloaded are not For example that I recorded one broadcast into 4 parts: 15G, 12G, 10G, and 23G. When I tried to download 15G and 12G parts, it all stopped at ~10G. Since I can not resume the incomplete downloads, I had to re-download all of them via Tivo Desktop
Perhaps try the non-combined download/decrypt to see if you get the whole TiVo file that way (the combined download/decrypt is a new task added in latest version and maybe something's going wrong).

Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #2989
matt2hews

Could anyone speculate as to why a ff_tivo_hd encode of a 18 minute HD recording would take over 5 hours to complete? I'm on a 2.16GHz Core 2, with ffmpeg using both cores. It would take !!17 hours!! to transcode an hour program. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Source material is a .TiVo from my Premiere box.
matt2hews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #2990
nvt

Been using kmttg for a while started on a PC and moved to the Mac. Discovered the Handbrake encoding profiles which appear to be better and do not suffer form some fo the problems I had on the PC of audio/video desynching
Now trying to encode for the Ipad and used the present hb_apple_tv which works but now seems to have a problem with the dimensions. The output now looks like it is formatted to play on an iPhone screen standing in portrait mode. There is dark space on either side of the screen.
I've tried other presets but they seem to do the same thing. Is there some setting I am not aware of that determines the layout dimensions downloaded or is this occurring somewhere else (decrypt/ad detect/ ad cut)?
Thanks for a great program and great help in this thread/forum
nvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2991
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvt View Post
Been using kmttg for a while started on a PC and moved to the Mac. Discovered the Handbrake encoding profiles which appear to be better and do not suffer form some fo the problems I had on the PC of audio/video desynching
Now trying to encode for the Ipad and used the present hb_apple_tv which works but now seems to have a problem with the dimensions. The output now looks like it is formatted to play on an iPhone screen standing in portrait mode. There is dark space on either side of the screen.
I've tried other presets but they seem to do the same thing. Is there some setting I am not aware of that determines the layout dimensions downloaded or is this occurring somewhere else (decrypt/ad detect/ ad cut)?
Thanks for a great program and great help in this thread/forum
It may be easier for you to install and run the Handbrake GUI so that you can experiment with different settings (use a small source clip as a test to speed things up). Then once you find something that works/you are happy with you can have the GUI show you what the command line equivalent is from which it is easy to generate your own handbrake profile for kmttg.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #2992
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2hews View Post
Could anyone speculate as to why a ff_tivo_hd encode of a 18 minute HD recording would take over 5 hours to complete? I'm on a 2.16GHz Core 2, with ffmpeg using both cores. It would take !!17 hours!! to transcode an hour program. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Source material is a .TiVo from my Premiere box.
That does seem awfully slow even for H.264 encoding which is a very CPU intensive process. There could be something else slowing you down such as Antivirus software you may want to experiment disabling temporarily as a test.
Fail that perhaps try a Handbrake profile such as hb_tivo_hd_crf. Though from my experience Handbrake is slower than ffmpeg.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #2993
jbernardis

I actually have a 3 hour hockey game in HD that takes 13 hours to encode into H.264. I'd have been willing to accept that, but my series 3 played the resultant MP4 back with poor video quality, and If I tried pulling the video, it took 13 hours to transcode back into mpg.

My solution is to not encode and just keep the file as an mpg.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #2994
moyekj

If the goal is just to play back on TiVo then leaving it as mpeg2 is the best option. Many people like to try and re-encode to reduce file size but to me it's not worth the time, effort and quality degradation to do so if playback device supports the original recording format. I do take time to manually strip out commercials with VRD if I intend to take a bunch of shows on the road on my laptop for playback, but I still leave them as mpeg2.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #2995
nvt

Quote:
It may be easier for you to install and run the Handbrake GUI so that you can experiment with different settings (use a small source clip as a test to speed things up). Then once you find something that works/you are happy with you can have the GUI show you what the command line equivalent is from which it is easy to generate your own handbrake profile for kmttg.
Thanks - I have the handbrake GUI but do not see where you can get the command line equivalent
I checked the mpg decoded file from TiVo loaded in HB:

TiVo Source Device Model 649080
352x480 Output 352x480 Anamorphic 308x480 Loose
(which to me already looks wrong...?)

I checked my other 2 TiVos and looked these mpg encoded files look fien in HB:
TiVo Source Device Model 240040
352 x 480 Output 352x480 Anamorphic 639x480 Loose (looks OK)
TiVo Source Device Model 540040
352 x 480 Output 352x480 Anamorphic 639x496 Loose (looks OK)

Files are recorded at same resolution but on different Tivo's.
The one with problem is a Dual Tuner device 649080
The other two older TiVos Model 240040 and 540040 look right

All files are transferred & decrypted by kmttg

THe problem seems to be in the source files not in the kmttg but I cannot understand why to where this would be set/changed?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #2996
cweb

Quote:
If the goal is just to play back on TiVo then leaving it as mpeg2 is the best option. Many people like to try and re-encode to reduce file size but to me it's not worth the time, effort and quality degradation to do so if playback device supports the original recording format. I do take time to manually strip out commercials with VRD if I intend to take a bunch of shows on the road on my laptop for playback, but I still leave them as mpeg2.
moyekj: If you leave it as mpeg2 for TiVo playback (no commercial stripping), do you still qsfix it?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #2997
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvt View Post
Thanks - I have the handbrake GUI but do not see where you can get the command line equivalent
It is hidden by default but can be enabled in the program options menu. Once enabled and you restart Handbrake you will see a "Query Editor" tab where you can query the command line equivalent of your current GUI choices.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #2998
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
moyekj: If you leave it as mpeg2 for TiVo playback (no commercial stripping), do you still qsfix it?
If it's just going back to TiVo unedited then qsfix not needed, but if you plan on editing out commercials it's best to qsfix (with video filter enabled) first.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #2999
nvt

Quote:
It is hidden by default but can be enabled in the program options menu. Once enabled and you restart Handbrake you will see a "Query Editor" tab where you can query the command line equivalent of your current GUI choices.
I think this may only be in the Windows version
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/MacGuiGuide makes no reference to it
It is mentioned in the Windows GUI Page (at the bottom in notes)
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

But I do not think the problem is HB - the input file is 352x480 Anamorphic 308x480
This Anamorphic format looks narrow and tall
But for other Tivo files
352 x 480 Output 352x480 Anamorphic 639x480 Loose
This Anamorphic format looks correct

I tried transferring the show from the Tivo that produces this narrow tall output to one of my other Tivos and then re-downloading with kmttg but the narrow tall problem persist.
So it boils down to the DualTUner Tivo producing files that are downloaded that create narrow tall output
Any thoughts greatly appreciated

n
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #3000
moyekj

nvt, it would be helpful if you can post mediainfo output for both for a source file that has issue as well as for one that doesn't. I know you listed resolution information but other info such as aspect ratio is also needed. Also if you know it post the native resolution and aspect ratio of the iPad.