TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #7201
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yes.

No. Everything you need to know about upgrading your new TiVo Premieres can be found here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

This thread is in the "TiVo Series3 HDTV DVR's" forum. The TiVo Premiere are Premiere XL are a Series4 TiVo's.
Helpful, as always, Rich. Thanks.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #7202
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluxon View Post
Okay, I've got the WD10EVDS now, but I've got a tricky situation I'd like some advice on.

My PC is a bit older and has two IDE HDD's and two SATA HDD's. I have 1TB drives on each of the two SATA connections. When I upgraded to 750GB drives 3 years ago it was a simple matter to hook the original TiVo drive up to one SATA and the new 750GB drive to the other SATA for the WinMFS transfer.

Now it's not going to be quite so easy, as I've relocated the "My Documents" folder to one of the 1TB SATA drives so the "My TiVo Recordings" folder can be huge. The "My Documents" folder is currently over 250GB in size which far surpasses the free space available on both of the IDE drives combined.

I'm really hoping to preserve all current TiVo recordings and settings to the new drive.

Is there a simple way to deal with this so I can use both SATA connectors for the WinMFS transfer from my failing 750GB drive to the new 1TB drive?

BTW, I have a blank 750GB USB drive that I could put into service for this task, but I'm afraid it would be one of the slower options.

Ideally, I would be able to redirect the My Documents folder temporarily to the OS drive and take out my two SATA drives for the WinMFS transfer. I just don't want to "break" anything in the registry when it comes to how that's done without copying all the files from one place to the other.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Not as simple, and not WinMFS, but there's the live CD option (winmfs.org has it). It's a Linux boot CD, so you can just unplug and not use both your SATA Windows drives during the transfer.

You need to confirm (as I do for y new Premiere) whether the live CD can handle the size of destination drive you're trying to use.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #7203
richsadams

Quote:
Okay, I've got the WD10EVDS now, but I've got a tricky situation I'd like some advice on.<snip>
I'm a little confused...but that's not unusual. Let me see if I understand your situation. It sounds as if you currently have a 750GB drive in a TiVo that's going south. You'd like to upgrade/replace it with a new 1TB drive and keep all of your recordings correct?

If so (and I'm assuming your 750GB drive is still functional) all you need to do is use winMFS to perform the upgrade as you did before (Section V, #22b in the FAQ). Of course that would entail connecting both your 750GB and 1TB drives to your computer at the same time while running winMFS from your PC's Windows drive.

If your PC has 2 SATA drives connected currently there's a good chance that it has more SATA ports available. Check your motherboard's documentation. If not you could connect one drive to one SATA port (leaving your Windows drive connected, again, assuming it's one of the SATA drives in your PC) and use a USB/SATA adapter or drive dock to connect the other drive. As you acknowledged, the process will take longer but it will work.

The MFSTools program ThreeSoFar mentions should work as well.

Of maybe I've missed your point completely? If so set me straight...including which TiVo model you have, etc.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #7204
tluxon

Rich,

You've got it right. I've got a failing 750GB drive in one of my TiVoHD's (a few posts back) and want to replace it with a new 1TB drive that I received last night. My PC is homebuilt with an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, so it supports both IDE and SATA drives, with the compromise that it only has two SATA connectors on board.

ThreeSoFar,

Just this morning I was wondering about a Live CD option. I have a couple Live CD's that boot to mini-XP operating systems for cleaning up PC's that won't boot to an infected drive. I'm pretty sure they see both my 1TB SATA drives and at least one of them - perhaps both - provides internet access if needed. I also have a Linux Boot CD I use for the GPartEd program, but I haven't checked to see if I can run other programs from it.

I was hoping to use WinMFS from WinXP because of my previous experience with it from doing my first two drive upgrades three years ago. Do you know if it can be installed/run from a typical WinXP Live CD environment?

Do you know where I can learn more about using the MFSLive LinuxBoot CD? All the threads on the download page at MFSLive.org are locked (I am registered and logged in) and are a few years old. Is everything I need to know available at this page? I'd just feel more comfortable having an active thread or forum to post to if anything gets messed up going the MFSLive LinuxBoot CD route?

Last edited by tluxon : 01-14-2011 at 12:21 PM.
tluxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #7205
unitron

Quote:
Rich,

You've got it right. I've got a failing 750GB drive in one of my TiVoHD's (a few posts back) and want to replace it with a new 1TB drive that I received last night. My PC is homebuilt with an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, so it supports both IDE and SATA drives, with the compromise that it only has two SATA connectors on board.

ThreeSoFar,

Just this morning I was wondering about a Live CD option. I have a couple Live CD's that boot to mini-XP operating systems for cleaning up PC's that won't boot to an infected drive. I'm pretty sure they see both my 1TB SATA drives and at least one of them - perhaps both - provides internet access if needed. I also have a Linux Boot CD I use for the GPartEd program, but I haven't checked to see if I can run other programs from it.

I was hoping to use WinMFS from WinXP because of my previous experience with it from doing my first two drive upgrades three years ago. Do you know if it can be installed/run from a typical WinXP Live CD environment?

Do you know where I can learn more about using the MFSLive LinuxBoot CD? All the threads on the download page at MFSLive.org are locked (I am registered and logged in) and are a few years old. Is everything I need to know available at this page? I'd just feel more comfortable having an active thread or forum to post to if anything gets messed up going the MFSLive LinuxBoot CD route?
The threads on the download page may be locked but the forums aren't.

There's not a lot of activity, but it's not dead yet.

And there's the help center forum here as well.

If you're on a 750GB drive you probably already have as many partitions per drive as TiVo will allow, so the extra 250GB will sit there unused, assuming you plan to keep the shows you have recorded on the failing 750.

The MFS Live CD (most recent version is 1.4) is from the same guy as WinMFS, but it's strictly command line, white letters on black screen, no mouse necessary, I don't even think it loads a mouse driver.

The page you link to is about WinMFS, not the Live CD.

Start at

http://www.mfslive.org/

and explore from there.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #7206
tluxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you're on a 750GB drive you probably already have as many partitions per drive as TiVo will allow, so the extra 250GB will sit there unused, assuming you plan to keep the shows you have recorded on the failing 750.
I'm not following you on the "extra 250GB will sit there unused" part. It was my understanding that I would be able to use all the extra space of the new larger drive for more recordings. Is that not the case?
Quote:
The MFS Live CD (most recent version is 1.4) is from the same guy as WinMFS, but it's strictly command line, white letters on black screen, no mouse necessary, I don't even think it loads a mouse driver.
Is there any kind of status indicator during the operation to help detect if the program is frozen as opposed to just taking a long time? Is there an easy way to ensure the right Disk ID's are used as the source and destination in the command line?

Between WinMFS and the MFSLive LinuxBoot CD method, is one any faster than the other? Does MFSLive have the same functions (mfsadd, supersize, et al.) as WinMFS? Or do you run WinMFS on the new drive after transferring the system and recordings to it with MFSLive?

Despite all my questions regarding MFSLive, I'm really hoping to do this operation with WinMFS. Does anybody know if a Live Boot CD method would allow the use of WinMFS? Otherwise, I'm thinking I might just want to leave the 1TB drive with the My Documents folder in place, temporarily replace the other SATA drive with the failing TiVoHD drive, and hook up the new SATA drive with my Universal Drive Adapter via USB (much slower).

Let's say just for grins that I elect to not transfer the recordings of the failing 750GB drive in the interest of saving a few hours in getting the new drive up and running. And let's say I have no desire to ever use the 750GB HDD in a TiVo again. Is there any tool at all that would mount this MFS drive from Windows or Linux and provide access to the recordings at a later date (like something akin to disaster recovery on NTFS volumes)?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #7207
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Is there any kind of status indicator during the operation to help detect if the program is frozen as opposed to just taking a long time?
Yes, there is, ascii output with a percentage.
Quote:
Is there an easy way to ensure the right Disk ID's are used as the source and destination in the command line?
There is. Do this:

dmesg # or if that is too long do this:
dmesg | grep sd

This will show the boot logs, part of which will show which drive (the sd should be the sata drives) is which, by name and size. There's also the mfsinfo program, which should work with the MFS live CD. It's strictly read only, safe to run on any drive. It looks for TiVo partitions and if there gives you a rundown of the size:

mfsinfo /dev/sda
mfsinfo /dev/sdb

Quote:
Between WinMFS and the MFSLive LinuxBoot CD method, is one any faster than the other? Does MFSLive have the same functions (mfsadd, supersize, et al.) as WinMFS? Or do you run WinMFS on the new drive after transferring the system and recordings to it with MFSLive?
WinMFS after a successful MFSLive transfer/upgrade will NOT be necessary. Otherwise, I'm not a good one to ask the MFSLive questions, I've only ever done the Linux version.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #7208
tluxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
...WinMFS after a successful MFSLive transfer/upgrade will NOT be necessary. Otherwise, I'm not a good one to ask the MFSLive questions, I've only ever done the Linux version.
So if I use MFSLive via the LinuxBoot CD to copy/transfer the old 750GB HDD to the new 1TB HDD, I should have the full 165 Hours of HD capacity - right? No need for Supersize?

If so, now I'm leaning toward the LinuxBoot CD method...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #7209
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Spreading the joy here. $20 rebate on up to FIVE(5) WD20 EADS or EARS drives, from many online vendors (newegg, amazon, etc.).

It's good until 16 JAN.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #7210
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
So if I use MFSLive via the LinuxBoot CD to copy/transfer the old 750GB HDD to the new 1TB HDD, I should have the full 165 Hours of HD capacity - right? No need for Supersize?

If so, now I'm leaning toward the LinuxBoot CD method...
Yes and no. One of the command line options (-x, see the usage statement with "restore -h") with the Linux method adds the "supersize" part once the "backup/restore" portion is done.

Use this site to generate your backup|restore command, or just the usage statements (for backup also) with some common sense will get you there.. It'll be something like this:

backup -qTao - /dev/sdb | restore -s 500 -xzpi - /dev/sda

Use any of these to help figure out which is source and which is destination:

mfsinfo /dev/sda
mfsinfo /dev/sdb
fdisk -l
dmesg | grep sd

Reply here if you want some explanation of the pipe character "|" and the use of "-" to indicate stdout/stdin.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #7211
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Spreading the joy here. $20 rebate on up to FIVE(5) WD20 EADS or EARS drives, from many online vendors (newegg, amazon, etc.).

It's good until 16 JAN.
Good deal. Probably should post this over on the jmfs upgrade thread since this thread doesn't cover 2TB upgrades.

Nice find though.

EDIT: I see you have.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-15-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #7212
tluxon

I just opened up the WD10EVDS I got from Newegg and see it has a date of 02 AUG 2010 on the label. Does this mean it's going to have the Intellipark issue requiring the running of wdidle3.exe to adjust the timeout to /s300? If so, when is the best time to run that utility? Does it run from inside Windows?

Also, the Western Digital website doesn't have a wdidle3.exe utility on the WD AV-GP page, and the page I found it on says to only use it on the drives covered by that page. Can anybody give me clarity on that?

Last edited by tluxon : 01-15-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #7213
unitron

Unless the WinMFS "supersize" function does something more, and more complicated, than the -x (expand) option/switch added when one runs the restore command on the MFS Live CD, then the "supersize" function won't be able to help if your source drive already has as many partitions as TiVo allows on one drive.

The TiVo is not a computer, it's not even a Mac. It's computer-y, and computer-ish, but it has some rules of its own about how things are.

It doesn't use the PC-type partition scheme that allows up to 4 primary partitions, one of which can be an extended partition full of lots and lots of logical partitions.

Although it uses the old Apple Partition Map, it doesn't follow the Apple rules either, so no 64 partitions per drive.

Chances are that when you originally upped your drive size the first and second pair of MFS partitions (as well as the non-MFS partitions) were copied over same size, except maybe swap, and then a third MFS pair was added to fill the rest of the drive.

The MFS partitions are where the recordings are kept, and the way you get more space for programs is to add more MFS partitions, but you can only have just so many per drive, and, as far as I know, you can't expand the ones you already have.

As far as I know, in order to use all of your new 1TB drive, you'll have to restore to it from an unexpanded image, either the one you made when you first upsized, or if your 750 will hold together long enough, a truncated backup from it, and then expand. Doing it that way means losing all of your recorded shows.

Oh, one other thing. Never use the -q option/switch, it just hides information from you.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #7214
richsadams

Quote:
I just opened up the WD10EVDS I got from Newegg and see it has a date of 02 AUG 2010 on the label. Does this mean it's going to have the Intellipark issue requiring the running of wdidle3.exe to adjust the timeout to /s300? If so, when is the best time to run that utility? Does it run from inside Windows?
The only way to find out if you need to adjust the Intellipark timeout is to perform the upgrade, install the drive in TiVo and see if it will boot up. If it boots up try a menu restart. If it reboots you're good to go. You can run the wdidle3.exe utility any time, before or after the upgrade.

Quote:
Also, the Western Digital website doesn't have a wdidle3.exe utility on the WD AV-GP page, and the page I found it on says to only use it on the drives covered by that page. Can anybody give me clarity on that?
Follow the directions in Section V, #14 of the first post on this thread.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #7215
tluxon

I just thought of another way that might work for this upgrade. I have a Dell XPS Studio 16 notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on it and a couple USB drive enclosures (take either SATA or IDE). I realize the copying would be much, much slower, but that way I wouldn't even have to touch the drive configuration in my WinXP desktop. I could just let it run all day or however long it takes without any impact on my use of the desktop.

What do you think? Is that a pretty foolproof way to do the upgrade without having to open up the desktop? Or are there potential complications using USB ports as SATA drives and/or in using Win7 64-bit?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #7216
richsadams

Quote:
I just thought of another way that might work for this upgrade. I have a Dell XPS Studio 16 notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on it and a couple USB drive enclosures (take either SATA or IDE). I realize the copying would be much, much slower, but that way I wouldn't even have to touch the drive configuration in my WinXP desktop. I could just let it run all day or however long it takes without any impact on my use of the desktop.

What do you think? Is that a pretty foolproof way to do the upgrade without having to open up the desktop? Or are there potential complications using USB ports as SATA drives and/or in using Win7 64-bit?
That sounds like a fine plan for upgrading providing your computer recognizes the drives in the enclosures (some enclosures have bridges that could cause problems). That has worked for others as it's similar to using a USB adapter or dock.

The only issue will be if you have to adjust the Intellipark feature. That doesn't work with USB adapters/docks/enclosures and must be done with the hard drive connected directly to a SATA port on a computer.

There shouldn't be any issues running wimMFS (I think you're back to that) using 64bit Win7 as long as you're signed in as the Administrator and have any virus protection turned off.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #7217
tluxon

I ended up just using my WinXP desktop with WinMFS. I put the failing 750GB HDD on a USB Adapter and temporarily replaced the desktop's non-essential (the one without "My Documents" and "My TiVo Recordings" directed to it) SATA drive with the new WD10EVDS HDD. That way the writing operation to the TiVo destination drive is the one with the biggest pipe to the motherboard. So far it's been copying for 10.5 hours and has 37 of the 39 status bars filled in.

Before taking the drive out of the TiVo, I deleted a total of 67 shows from the Now Playing list. Unfortunately, it wasn't until after removing the drive that it occurred to me that I didn't remove them from the Recently Deleted list. I assume this forces mfscopy to copy even the deleted files, doesn't it? Can anyone confirm this?

When I pulled the failing drive, I saw that it was one of those Seagate DB35 drives I had put in both of my TiVoHD's when I first got them. That was the type of drive that was most recommended at the time. This one is only 3 years old and I seem to recall these drives having 5-year warranties on them. Anybody have experience with Seagate's backing of these drives?
Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #7218
richsadams

Quote:
I ended up just using my WinXP desktop with WinMFS. I put the failing 750GB HDD on a USB Adapter and temporarily replaced the desktop's non-essential (the one without "My Documents" and "My TiVo Recordings" directed to it) SATA drive with the new WD10EVDS HDD. That way the writing operation to the TiVo destination drive is the one with the biggest pipe to the motherboard. So far it's been copying for 10.5 hours and has 37 of the 39 status bars filled in.

Before taking the drive out of the TiVo, I deleted a total of 67 shows from the Now Playing list. Unfortunately, it wasn't until after removing the drive that it occurred to me that I didn't remove them from the Recently Deleted list. I assume this forces mfscopy to copy even the deleted files, doesn't it? Can anyone confirm this?

When I pulled the failing drive, I saw that it was one of those Seagate DB35 drives I had put in both of my TiVoHD's when I first got them. That was the type of drive that was most recommended at the time. This one is only 3 years old and I seem to recall these drives having 5-year warranties on them. Anybody have experience with Seagate's backing of these drives?
You're correct, removing the Recently Deleted Recordings would have made the process go faster, but not a big deal.

IIRC Seagate DB35's did have a five-year warranty. I returned one (not a DB35) to Seagate once and it was painless. You might have a look on their website and see what you can find out.

Let us know how things go!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #7219
tluxon

The WD10EVDS with manufacture date 02 AUG 2010 seems to be working fine so far. No problem with the soft restart as of yet.

I'll see if I can find anything wrong with the 750GB Seagate DB35.3 drive I replaced. I hope whatever was wrong was just an isolated incident because my other TiVoHD has another of the same drive in it and I'd just as soon have it keep working for a while.

Thanks for your patience with my earlier indecision.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #7220
richsadams

Quote:
The WD10EVDS with manufacture date 02 AUG 2010 seems to be working fine so far. No problem with the soft restart as of yet.

I'll see if I can find anything wrong with the 750GB Seagate DB35.3 drive I replaced. I hope whatever was wrong was just an isolated incident because my other TiVoHD has another of the same drive in it and I'd just as soon have it keep working for a while.

Thanks for your patience with my earlier indecision.
That's great news! There were a couple of other posts about EVDS drives manufactured prior to 09/15/10 not requiring the Intellipark setting adjusted (one as early as March 2010 IIRC). Seems they may have received the firmware change earlier than most of WD's other GP drives.

The Seagate DB35 was/is a good model. I still have a four-year old DB35 running as a backup drive and it's been flawless. It's so quiet I have to look at the LED light to see when it's working.

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #7221
supernova

WD EURS Upgrade

Just upgraded to a 1 TB WD10EURS drive with a date of 10/10 and it worked perfectly with no intellipark issue and the drive is also very quiet, better than the original 160 GB.
Bought it from Buy.com last week, it was cheaper than Newegg.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #7222
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Just upgraded to a 1 TB WD10EURS drive with a date of 10/10 and it worked perfectly with no intellipark issue and the drive is also very quiet, better than the original 160 GB.
Bought it from Buy.com last week, it was cheaper than Newegg.
Excellent and thanks for the datapoint. I know they're quiet out of the box, but did you adjust the AAM to 128? The EURS series is WD's newest so I'm curious as to how quiet they actually are either way. TIA.

Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #7223
supernova

Quote:
Excellent and thanks for the datapoint. I know they're quiet out of the box, but did you adjust the AAM to 128? The EURS series is WD's newest so I'm curious as to how quiet they actually are either way. TIA.

Enjoy!
I didn't do any adjustments, just left it as is right out of the box. Very pleased with it for sure!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #7224
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I didn't do any adjustments, just left it as is right out of the box. Very pleased with it for sure!
D'oh! Never mind...I completely forgot that the EURS is an A/V dedicated drive series, so the AAM is already set to 128...very quiet. But thanks for not making me look the fool that I am for some reasons today! Oh, who am I kidding? Why would today be different than any other!

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #7225
Mahty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahty View Post
I just bought a WD15EVDS (born on 01Apr2010) for my S3. After using WinMFS to copy to the new drive a truncated backup image of the S3's original and long-ago-retired WD 250GB drive, I performed the transplant. Initial tests showed that the WD15EVDS had the IntelliPark soft-reboot problem.

However, that truncated image contained TiVo S/W version 8.0.1c. After updating the S/W on the new drive to the current 11.0g, the IntelliPark soft-reboot problem is gone!

So, at least for the S3 (and I would imagine the THD, THDXL, etc.), it seems that 11.0g contains a fix for the WD IntelliPark soft-reboot problem. Has this officially been established by the TiVo Community?
Another recent WD hard drive upgrade of mine (this time to a TiVoHD unit) has duplicated my above quoted experience from last spring.

Yesterday I copied a truncated backup image of my TiVoHD's original and long-ago-retired WD 160GB drive containing TiVo S/W version 9.3a to a new WD15EVDS (born on 29Sep2010). After the transplant, the new drive suffered from the IntelliPark soft-reboot problem. But once the TiVo S/W on the new drive was upgraded to the current 11.0j, the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang disappeared. There was no need to use wdidle3.exe.

So, from my two experiences with upgrades using WD15EVDS drives, it appears that TiVo S/W changes and not WD15EVDS changes are responsible for eliminating the IntelliPark soft-reboot problem. Perhaps the TiVo S/W changes (first appearing in v11.0g?) may only target/work with specific WD drives -- like the drives (WDxxEVDS?) that TiVo itself uses/has been using in its units?

Last edited by Mahty : 01-19-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Mahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #7226
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahty View Post
Another recent WD hard drive upgrade of mine (this time to a TiVoHD unit) has duplicated my above quoted experience from last spring.

Yesterday I copied a truncated backup image of my TiVoHD's original and long-ago-retired WD 160GB drive containing TiVo S/W version 9.3a to a new WD15EVDS (born on 29Sep2010). After the transplant, the new drive suffered from the IntelliPark soft-reboot problem. But once the TiVo S/W on the new drive was upgraded to the current 11.0j, the IntelliPark soft-reboot hang disappeared. There was no need to use wdidle3.exe.

So, from my two experiences with upgrades using WD15EVDS drives, it appears that TiVo S/W changes and not WD15EVDS changes are responsible for eliminating the IntelliPark soft-reboot problem. Perhaps the TiVo S/W changes (first appearing in v11.0g?) may only target/work with specific WD drives -- like the drives (WDxxEVDS?) that TiVo itself uses/has been using in its units?
Your experience with the EVDS series is only unusual because they are not commonly used to upgrade TiVo's. The change made to the WD A/V dedicated EVDS (and the EVCS) series which eliminated the need to adjust the Intellipark timeout to avoid initial boot and/or soft reboot hangs occurred sometime in March 2010. That same change (or something similar) did not take effect in other WD GP drives until around September 11th. For some a few days before, others a few days later. So the "safe" date for lack of a better term and day is September 15th.

TiVo made their own software change to address the problem for the TiVo HDXL (which has a 1TB HDD) when it was first discovered there was a problem back in late 2009. (At the moment I don't recall the OS version). The same change was later made to the OS for the Series3 and the TiVo HD. Prior to that change a number of owners of the then new TiVo HDXL found their TiVo's hung at the "Powering Up! Just a few minutes more..." screen after an earlier software update. TiVo was caught by surprise by WD's firmware change as well. A power cycle (hard reboot) resolved the hang, but they were not happy campers.

That's why using an original TiVo HDD that hasn't been updated to image a new WD10EVDS or WD10EVCS drive (manufactured after March 2010) incurs the problem but it "goes away" after the new drive updates to the current OS version.

Keeping the original TiVo drive on the shelf as a backup as you did is highly recommended. It's also recommended that the OEM drive be reinstalled in TiVo periodically to let it update to the latest software version. (Updates are not incremental so it only requires one update.) That way if/when the OEM drive is needed for use, either to get TiVo going again and/or to image a new drive it's ready with the latest (or close to) software.

If you want to update an original TiVo drive, simply install it and let it run for a while (usually 24 to 48 hours) or you can force a connection to TiVo. (It may take several connections before the update will appear.)

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Status" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart" instead of a date your new software will automatically install at 2 a.m. your time. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install the update immediately. You will see these two screens during the reboot process when it does.

You can reboot TiVo via the menu screens:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages & Setup
3. Restart or reset system
4. Restart the TiVo DVR

Or you can simply unplug it, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plug it back in.

Oh, that reminds me...I need to update my TiVo drives!

Enjoy your "new" TiVo's!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #7227
tluxon

Quote:
Quote:
...When I pulled the failing drive, I saw that it was one of those Seagate DB35 drives I had put in both of my TiVoHD's when I first got them. That was the type of drive that was most recommended at the time. This one is only 3 years old and I seem to recall these drives having 5-year warranties on them. Anybody have experience with Seagate's backing of these drives?
IIRC Seagate DB35's did have a five-year warranty. I returned one (not a DB35) to Seagate once and it was painless. You might have a look on their website and see what you can find out.

Let us know how things go!
I ran a SeaTools Long Generic Test and Repair on the "failing" DB35 drive. It took about 6 hours and found over 3,000 errors, but when all was said and done it said the drive passed! I contacted Seagate Support and they told me if the drive "passed" then it was considered to still be good.

I don't know about others, but after having so many errors "repaired", I'm not sure what I should do with this drive if Seagate wouldn't take it back. Should I keep using it as some kind of backup drive? What do you think?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #7228
richsadams

Quote:
I ran a SeaTools Long Generic Test and Repair on the "failing" DB35 drive. It took about 6 hours and found over 3,000 errors, but when all was said and done it said the drive passed! I contacted Seagate Support and they told me if the drive "passed" then it was considered to still be good.

I don't know about others, but after having so many errors "repaired", I'm not sure what I should do with this drive if Seagate wouldn't take it back. Should I keep using it as some kind of backup drive? What do you think?
All large format hard drives have bad sectors, it goes with the territory and I/O control and other internal and external factors are designed to deal with it. I'd run the test again to see what comes back. If the error rate is still high I'd probably make a case to Seagate for a replacement. If not using it as a backup drive would depend on how critical the information is I guess.

Me? If it still has a high error rate after a second test and if Seagate won't replace it and since the drive is older I'd probably call it a day.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #7229
terryjamison

WD10EADS Manufacture dates?

I've got a WD10EADS drive that's been sitting around for the last year. The date of manufacture is 17 SEP 2009. Will intellipark be an issue on the drive?

TIA
terryjamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #7230
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjamison View Post
I've got a WD10EADS drive that's been sitting around for the last year. The date of manufacture is 17 SEP 2009. Will intellipark be an issue on the drive?

TIA
Hard to say. That's just about the time the issue started showing up. The only way to find out would be to perform the upgrade and install it in TiVo. If it boots up, try a menu restart. If it doesn't boot up or if it doesn't reboot from a menu restart then you'd need to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark timeout per the instructions in the FAQ (Section V, #14):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Let us know how it goes!