TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #451
shaggy2002

Rich,

my drive was manufactured Sept 10, 2010.
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #452
alyssa

Having the original drive with the cable card info is huge! I've got all 3 of mine labeled & stored just in case.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #453
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
Rich,

my drive was manufactured Sept 10, 2010.
Thanks for that...good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Having the original drive with the cable card info is huge! I've got all 3 of mine labeled & stored just in case.
Very sound advice.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #454
JavaJoe_2

I have a New/Used Premier (eBay $94, hopefully going to be lifetime) and a New Premier XL(with Lifetime).
I bought the Samsung SpinMaster 2T for the XL upgrade. I plan to install the XL HD in the Premier. Do I need to reimage the HD out of the XL to install in the Premier?? Or can I just install it and be good to go. For $87 I might just get another SpinMaster for the Premier.
My original plan was: New Samsung (imaged) goes in the XL, old XL HD (1T?) goes to the Premier, the Premier HD (320g??) goes in my Pioneer 57H series2 LifeTime (I bought the Weaknee's SATA to IDE kit). And then sell the Pioneer (with the old drive and new drive) to help offset my new TiVo's.
Ya think I got the itch?? It's this forum's fault.
Thanks in advance for your help!
PS: I watched the TiVo Upgrade YouTube Video's!! They Rock! I just wish my old computers had SATA connectors.
PPS: As of now I have not installed cable cards in either unit...a deciding factor.
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #455
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJoe_2 View Post
I have a New/Used Premier (eBay $94, hopefully going to be lifetime) and a New Premier XL(with Lifetime).
I bought the Samsung SpinMaster 2T for the XL upgrade. I plan to install the XL HD in the Premier. Do I need to reimage the HD out of the XL to install in the Premier?? Or can I just install it and be good to go. For $87 I might just get another SpinMaster for the Premier.
My original plan was: New Samsung (imaged) goes in the XL, old XL HD (1T?) goes to the Premier, the Premier HD (320g??) goes in my Pioneer 57H series2 LifeTime (I bought the Weaknee's SATA to IDE kit). And then sell the Pioneer (with the old drive and new drive) to help offset my new TiVo's.
Ya think I got the itch?? It's this forum's fault.
Thanks in advance for your help!
PS: I watched the TiVo Upgrade YouTube Video's!! They Rock! I just wish my old computers had SATA connectors.
PPS: As of now I have not installed cable cards in either unit...a deciding factor.
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you can only swap drives between identical TiVo's, Premiere to Premiere or Premiere XL to Premiere XL for example as their images are different. At this time there is no way to create a truncated backup of a Premiere/Premiere XL drive either.

If it were me I'd just upgrade both to 2TB and be done with it. I would also get them both set up with cable cards, etc. prior to upgrading and keep the original drives on the shelf. That way if an upgraded drive goes south you'll always have a drive you can both use to get back up and running immediately as well as to use to upgrade another drive.

FWIW all of the TiVo upgrade videos I've watched to date either have missing information or minor to major mistakes in them. Follow Comer's steps in the first post and you'll be good to go.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #456
alyssa

I just contributed to Comer's beer fund & noticed the paypal page came up in Canadian dollars. Not a major thing because the exchange rate is close to the same but disconcerting.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #457
tinkererguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkererguy View Post
My guess is probably yes, that 14.6 has issues with bluetooth dongle at boot time, that trigger a green screen immediately or within hours. Just a hunch, little data to back up this "thinking out loud"...
14.7 showed up on my Premiere at 5am yesterday, Sunday Jan 9th, but my TiVo unfortunately rebooted for a mysterious reason when recording 2 shows at 9:30pm that same day, then saw it was applying this 14.7 update at that time.

The good news though is that it finished in about 40 minutes, with the bluetooth dongle (slider remote receiver) still plugged in, so apparently they've fixed that problem. Tried 2 more manual reboots a couple hours later, no problem again.

Now my fingers are crossed that stability is better (after I cleared up the bluetooth issue, I've only had 3 unexplained reboot incidents in the 2 months I've had the Premiere, which is somewhat tolerable). I won't say the HD UI is much faster, if at all though, this is just an incremental upgrade.

At least the SD UI is still snappy though, as it always has been, and the slider remote keyboard still works in SD mode. The SD UI is still much faster than TiVo S3 SD UI. So the "wife acceptance factor" is still kind of OK, and will remain so, assuming it becomes more stable than is has been.
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
DIRECTV '96-'06, Cox HD '06-present
tinkererguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #458
tinkererguy

In other words, as we suspected, this bluetooth dongle (slider remote receiver) issue likely never had anything to do with comer's upgrade procedure which copies everything, although I never did hear for sure if somebody tested non-upgraded TiVo Premiers for the same hang on power up issue with the 14.6 code, but it just doesn't matter much at all anymore as we're all moving to 14.7 soon likely anyway.

Thanks again comer for a great CD!
Sony KDL-55HX800 55" TV
Sony STR-DA5600ES Amp
Sony RM-VL900 remote
DIRECTV '96-'06, Cox HD '06-present

Last edited by tinkererguy : 01-11-2011 at 06:32 AM.
tinkererguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #459
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

The mirror link in the first post doesn't work.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #460
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
The mirror link in the first post doesn't work.
Just tried that link, worked for me See http://www.mediafire.com/?pfc9n8o30tc64

Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #461
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Just tried that link, worked for me See http://www.mediafire.com/?pfc9n8o30tc64
That's not the mirror link.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #462
txporter
One sec, almost done

Finally got off my duff and supersized my 2TB premiere. Quick and painless (once I was able to get a computer to boot off the CD). My machine which I use for video editing, etc just refuses to boot off CD. Not sure what the problem is. Luckily my wife is out of town and her machine was available.

Thanks for your great work, comer!
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #463
rodbeezy

I need to reformat my comp and need to backup 1.4 TB of data. I planned on using a WD20EVDS temporarily to house the backup data until I get the data back on my reformatted system. Of course this will require the EVDS to be in NTFS. Can I then repurpose the WD20EVDS as a TiVo upgrade with jmfs even though the drive will be in NTFS?
rodbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #464
alyssa

I'd write 0's to it. It might be overkill but it give's a clean slate(or platter).
WD has a easy utility.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #465
rodbeezy

@alyssa

that sounds like a good option. thanks!
rodbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #466
gil sonnier

i have a premier that i want to put a WD20EARS in. do i need to disable intellipark.
in some of the first post Ive read it says yes. but in later post,some said you don't have to.any advice lately on this. also i was wondering, does comer's copy tool have a supersize option in it?
thanks for any advise.
gil sonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #467
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
The replacement drive will get run through the WD Data LifeGuard extensive test before comerizing.
Replacement 2TB WD EARS passed the extensive test. Now comerized, up and running.

Drive was manufactured 2 Nov 2010. Out of the box, WDIDLE3 reported Intellipark enabled with the timeout set at 8 seconds. Ran WDIDLE3 to "disable" (well, set to 62 minutes) Intellipark.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #468
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil sonnier View Post
i have a premier that i want to put a WD20EARS in. do i need to disable intellipark.
in some of the first post Ive read it says yes. but in later post,some said you don't have to.any advice lately on this. also i was wondering, does comer's copy tool have a supersize option in it?
thanks for any advise.
Welcome to the forum. If your new hard drive was manufactured prior to 09/15/10 you will probably need to adjust the Intellipark feature's timeout. The only way to find out is to perform the upgrade, install the drive and see if TiVo boots up. If it boots up try a menu restart. If it boots and reboots normally you would not have to make any adjustments. See this post for more info:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160 (Section V, #14)

Yes, as the very first line in the very first post of this thread reads "revision 104 - Nov-06-2010 - with Supersize!". Happy upgrading.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-13-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Add link for new member
Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #469
strejcek

OK, so I thought I would answer some questions relevant to a drive upgrade with the Premiere and the Premiere XL. Since I couldn't find the answers to my questions in this thread, I had to learn through trial and error; and let me tell you, it was a heck of a lot of more trial than error.

Q. Can you replace a faulty drive using the drive image from one Premiere to another Premiere?
A1. Yes you can replace a Premiere drive using the image of another Premiere drive.
A2. Yes you can replace a Premiere XL drive using the image of another Premiere XL drive.
A3. Yes you can replace a Premiere XL drive using the image of a regular Premiere; however, you will have to do a Clear and Delete everything, and it will load the software for a standard Premiere, during the setup process, which is the same but different from the XL.

What does this mean? After the Clear and Delete (took about two hours), and after running the guided setup, I had to re-setup my channel lineups because my XL was not caching my guide data despite the several hundred connections I forced to TiVo. After nailing down the guide issue, I lost the Showcases option a few days later and it would not load the 14.7 software; confirmed by TiVo tech support after reviewing my logs; my XL was downloading it but would not install it, and I'm surmising it is because the core software version on my XL was that of a standard Premiere (different software versions confirmed by TiVo tech support). Long story short, it's not worth the aggravation of trying to interchange drive images.

I did this out of necessity, not knowing the headaches that would follow, because the drive in my XL took a dump and TiVo told me my unit was out of warranty, incorrectly, otherwise I would have had them send me a replacement XL.

Q. Is the drive image on a brand new Premiere pre-mirrored to the TiVo unit and internal drive?
A. No, the image on a brand new unit, that has never been plugged in, is not mirrored to the unit. This image can be used for a replacement drive. Upon powering up the replacement drive in the old TiVo, it goes through the guided setup as if it were a brand new unit.

This is all probably common knowledge, but I couldn't really find the concrete answers I was looking for, which is the reason for this post. Thanks to Comer for his hard work and great knowledge; his software worked like a champ.
strejcek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 AM   #470
richsadams

As mentioned a few posts above...

Quote:
Unfortunately you can only swap drives between identical TiVo's, Premiere to Premiere or Premiere XL to Premiere XL for example as their images are different.
FWIW you can still use the drive from one TiVo to image a drive in another (identical) TiVo even if it has been set up. On the initial boot up there is an error screen and if you run C&DE it will return it to "as new" condition.

Glad to hear things worked out. Enjoy!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #471
Raymond Day

Jmfs Live CD work super.

I bought a TiVo Premiere and looked if I could copy the hard drive to a 2TB drive on Google. I found it and burt and ISO and took the 320GB hard drive out of my TiVo Premiere and put it in a Atom CPU D510 PC and put the HD green 2TB on the 2nd SATA and booted the DVD on a USB DVD drive.

Jmfs Live DVD I put it on a DVD-R and it booted and it was so very easy. This shows the hard drives good and says what it's going to do very good. It took about 3 or more hours to copy the 320GB WD green hard drive that came with the TiVo Premiere. It's been about 5 days now and my TiVo Premiere is working super with the 2TB drive.

Thank you who makde Jmfs Live CD. It works very good and tells you very good what to do. Show what hard drives it's going to copy and to were. Very nice.

I guess it will not work with old TiVo's but it be neat is one CD would.

Thanks again for Jmfs Live CD. Were I downloaded it, it's named "premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104.iso"

-Raymond Day
Raymond Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #472
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
At this time there is no way to create a truncated backup of a Premiere/Premiere XL drive either.
Can't wait for this ... I like having truncated images around "just in case" and WinMFS has been perfect for that over the past few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #473
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Can't wait for this ... I like having truncated images around "just in case" and WinMFS has been perfect for that over the past few years.
You and me both. Putting a 160GB drive or whatever on the shelf as a backup is no big deal. However putting a 1TB drive on the shelf just in case is a little more painful and very tempting for a repurpose. I don't know if Spike or anyone else is working on this or not, but it would certainly be welcome.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #474
tome_9499

What type of HDD can I use for the spce upgrade?

I'm about to upgrade my Premiere to 2TB, and wanted to make certain that I purchase the right SATA drive to complete the upgrade. I know that the USB drive expansion only allows you to use the WD DVR Expander. Are there any similar restrictions on internal HDD upgrades?

Also, I am replacing a Tivo HD (1GB). Is there any fast and reliable way to transfer my recordings from the Tivo HD to the Tivo Premier? I don't want to do them one at a time over the network. It would take days, and is flaky in my experience.
Thanks,

Tom

SVR2000 - Lifetime
Series 2 DT (500MB) - $12.95
HD (1GB) - $6.95
Premier - ???
can prevail aganist untiring Destiny.

-Sophocles

Last edited by tome_9499 : 01-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.
tome_9499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #475
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil sonnier View Post
in some of the first post Ive read it says yes. but in later post,some said you don't have to.any advice lately on this.
I didn't. Got the drive from Amazon yesterday, popped the Tivo open and did the upgrade today. Totally forgot about checking manufacturer date and making any changes until after I had it put back together.

So far everything seems to be working.

Quote:
also i was wondering, does comer's copy tool have a supersize option in it?
thanks for any advise.
Yes. The cd will offer to automatically expand for you, but you need to go back to the menu to get the supersize option.

Thanks for the hard work, Comer! The cd worked like a charm.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #476
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome_9499 View Post
I'm about to upgrade my Premiere to 2TB, and wanted to make certain that I purchase the right SATA drive to complete the upgrade.
Drive recommendations:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post8263939
Quote:
I know that the USB drive expansion only allows you to use the WD DVR Expander. Are there any similar restrictions on internal HDD upgrades?
Do you mean are you limited to what drive you can use for an upgrade? Not really...as long as it's a like-for-like type (SATA). FWIW there's no benefit to installing a faster drive (7200 RPM for example) or one with a large cache. TiVo's requirements are very basic as compared to other applications. Concerns with TiVo drives are generally acoustics and heat. The WD GP drives (which are what TiVo is now using) generally fit the bill, are in wide use and well-tested here.

Quote:
Also, I am replacing a Tivo HD (1GB). Is there any fast and reliable way to transfer my recordings from the Tivo HD to the Tivo Premier? I don't want to do them one at a time over the network. It would take days, and is flaky in my experience.
Other than over your network? The short answer is no. Once upon a time I tried connecting two TiVo's together directly using an Ethernet crossover cable to move recordings from one to the other. That worked fine, but the recording transfer speeds were no better than over my normal, hard-wired network because the limitations are with TiVo itself, not the network. (FWIW the Premier's transfer capabilities are much better.) Using TiVo's MRV abilities is the fastest, easiest way to transfer recordings. A hardwired transfer may be faster and more reliable than WiFi depending on your setup.

There are other options like TiVo Desktop or KMTTG, but that involves a third element, a computer so although the transfer speeds could be faster from/to the computer and TiVo, it would ultimately take longer.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-14-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Add links
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #477
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Comer, TIA for getting this jmfs solution out there. This is gonna be easy.

Quick question: Will this boot CD handle older TiVos as well? How far back? Even the IDE ones?
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #478
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Spreading the joy here. $20 rebate on up to FIVE(5) 2TB WD20 EADS or EARS drives, from many online vendors (newegg, amazon, etc.). Brings net price down to $70 at Newegg (with code), or $80 Amazon.

It's good until 16 JAN.

Last edited by ThreeSoFar : 01-14-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: pricing.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #479
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Comer, TIA for getting this jmfs solution out there. This is gonna be easy.

Quick question: Will this boot CD handle older TiVos as well? How far back? Even the IDE ones?
Only Premiere, Premiere XL, TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:30 AM   #480
marspinball

Just upgraded my THD to 2TB / 318 hours, next my Premiere

I purchased two WD20EURS from buy.com. Manufacture dates were November 5th and 6th. Both had the intellipark feature disabled and AAM at 128 out of the box. Ran the WD test utilities/scan which took about five hours to run (each drive). I just let those run overnight.

I got 318 hours on my THD and the whole process only took two hours. All my settings and recordings were intact. Also noticed the THD booted up in about half the time as compared to the original drive. Additionally the new drive runs cooler and is quieter than the stock drive.

I used JMFS for copy and expand. Based on this thread I could not locate anyone who supersized a THD with JMFS but a couple who used WinMFS. So after the copy and expand with JMFS I just rebooted the computer back into Windows, ran WinMFS and supersized, took less than a minute!!

I will upgrade my Premiere once I get the cable card installed and that one should be even easier.
marspinball is offline   Reply With Quote