TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #7681
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel9801 View Post
You all pay comcast about $10 on top of the tivo service? Thanks for your help!

I think it depends on how many total TV's you have connected. From what I understand you get "1 basic box/card" included and the others you have to pay extra for.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #7682
ghuido

Question for the group. It migh thave been answered in all the previous posts but I haven't seen it while scanning through.

My In-Laws just had an M-Card installed on a TIVO HD. They have the digital starter package for comcast.

They are currently only getting the Broadcast Channels in HD (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, CW) and no other of the HD channels in the 200+ and 800+ range.

Is this an issue with the CableCard Authorizations. Of course I called Comcast and their first response is to blame the TIVO.

any help is appreciated.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #7683
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
They are currently only getting the Broadcast Channels in HD (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, CW) and no other of the HD channels in the 200+ and 800+ range.

That is what happened to me on Friday during my install, but after waiting about 5 minutes the channels showed up.

I would call them and have them resend the signals. The card has to be installed properly as your getting all the other channels.

The same HD channels were the last to appear for me too.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #7684
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Yes it's the card, not the TiVo. Welcome to the club. Hopefully like the previous poster said, another call will fix the problem but make sure they get the numbers right. If that doesn't work, well then all the advice you need is in this thread. Good luck and let us know what happens.
TiVo PC / Nero LiquidTV << not recommended
Silicon Valley, CA
Pokemon_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #7685
Rkkeller

I just wanted to updated my install history above and tell about the great ending.

I had emailed Comcast like someone suggested I do and unexpectedly I received a call from someone at their main headquarters. They apologized and wanted to know about my experiences and then issued me a full credit for my first bill and install.

This really helped me feel better about Comcast as I was wondering if I made the right decision after not having cable for over a year.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #7686
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Thanks for sharing, Rkkeller. Another victory for Truth, Justice, and the American Way! :-)

I wonder how many CableCard installs go well? Based on reading this thread, you'd think Comcast Corporate spends a ridiculous and expensive amount of their time swooping in to fix screw-ups. I'd like to assume we have an unrepresentative sample in these posts, but then again this thread has been viewed over a million times!
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #7687
Rkkeller

I think most probably go well. Mine was more of an new customer order mistake as once the cable cards did come, the install was quick and fine. I did have to call to add HBO later but that was an order mistake too.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #7688
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Dad View Post
I'd like to assume we have an unrepresentative sample in these posts, but then again this thread has been viewed over a million times!
Every discussion forum site is like this. You can't use posts as any sort of useful metric on percentage of real world issues. People rarely bother to sign up and post that all is going well.

My install went without any hitches and I know I've viewed this thread multiple times. I did have problems but it wasn't the cable card or a cable card install issue. That said, the Comcast techs and reps I've worked with have exhibited varying levels of experience with cable cards.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #7689
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Still...
Offical CableCARD threads 117,078 views
CableCARD installation FAQ 130,572 views
Official Comcast CableCard Thread! 1,048,436 views!

Yes, problems motivate people to login and post here, and posts to this thread bubble it up to the top of the list again and again, so we need to be careful of assuming that they represent all CableCard installs...but it's a very large thread and yes so many of the posts are problems.

Rkkeller's problem was "more of a new customer order mistake", but aren't most of them? We shouldn't need an installer to come to our houses, the reps should be able to activate over the phone. The problem seems to never be the TiVo or the CableCard, just the way it was activated - or not - by a CSR.

I think last fall the FCC gave cable companies 9 months before requiring them to officially support CableCard self-installs - if a company allows any self-installs - but so far they don't seem to be making progress. It actually seems to be getting worse. Maybe they're going to fall back on the loophole of requiring a truck roll for everything. What do you think?
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #7690
sgip2000

Fyi...

I was able to walk into the Comcast Service Center in Beaverton, OR to pick a cable card up.

The CSR actually new a little about the process.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #7691
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
I was able to walk into the Comcast Service Center in Beaverton, OR to pick a cable card up.

And how did your install/activation go?
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #7692
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:

Do you also have a Comcast DVR or tuner? I'm TiVo only, currently on Frontier, and I'm interested in knowing if there are any "hd technology" fees for people with multiple TiVos but no Comcast boxes. Is the first CableCard still free?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #7693
Rkkeller

Quote:
requiring a truck roll for everything. What do you think?

This is probably so they can charge you an install fee. If I picked up the card and installed it myself they would make nothing extra for the install.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #7694
Rkkeller

Here is my new install first bill with 1 HD TiVo and single M cable card. I don't see any ccard charges or anything else but the monthly package and tax/fees. The credit from Comcast is also there. The package price is low as its a new customer deal and the $27.64 was for installation.

Current Bill
(1/1 - 1/31)

Service (Recurring charges) $29.99
One-time fees, PPV, Usage (Non-recurring charges) $27.64
Taxes, surcharges, fees $4.65
Total bill $62.28

Payments/Credits
Credit posted - Thank you cr $62.28
Total (previous + current) due 01/30/2011 $0.00
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #7695
bosoxmrkn

My roommate just moved out, and I took the opportunity to switch the cable/internet from his name to mine, providing me with a nice deal on both for a year.

Of course they had to swap out all of my equipment. So when I went to return the M-Card that was in my Tivo HD, since it was replaced, they told me they didn't know where it came from and handed it back to me.

A funny thing about account switches with comcast - they need to completely remove the Tivo Host ID, and sometimes the cable card (accidentally?) from the old account in order to get it to work on the new account. So now, the old cable card isn't registered, and they aren't expecting it back?

Regardless, I now have an extra M-Card.. and a Tivo Premier in a box. (Can't yet justify the additional $16 per month to pay for upgrade. $19.99/MO + $9.99 over current $12.95.

Would comcast be able to activate the card, and not charge me a fee? Or would they still charge?
bosoxmrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #7696
sgip2000

Quote:
And how did your install/activation go?
It was actually better than I had expected.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #7697
sgip2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Do you also have a Comcast DVR or tuner? I'm TiVo only, currently on Frontier, and I'm interested in knowing if there are any "hd technology" fees for people with multiple TiVos but no Comcast boxes. Is the first CableCard still free?
I just have 1 TivoHD with 1 M-card. Not sure how the other fees are calculated. I was told that there would be no equipment or additional fees with the card though.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #7698
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxmrkn View Post
Would comcast be able to activate the card, and not charge me a fee? Or would they still charge?
Nobody knows what they will do, least of all Comcast employees. :-) But they would likely activate it for you and charge a monthly fee for a second CableCard, which in my case is $1.50 per month, assuming it's not still in the system somewhere.

Don't assume, just because one rep couldn't find it in the database, that there is no record in there somewhere though. You or your roommate may suddenly find an "Unreturned equipment" fee on a monthly bill later this year. Or, your roommate may start getting calls from a collection agency because he didn't buy the card when moving or closing his account.

Comcast once sent an agency after me for an old modem that they don't support anymore and was worth probably $5 at the time, but they wanted 20 bucks for it. I thought I'd purchased it when moving but apparently you have to pay on a separate invoice. Good luck.
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #7699
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Are you under a contract or something. I'm paying exactly what you're paying, but only getting the HD Preferred Plus XF Triple Play (HBO & Blast Internet). I don't pay outlet or cable card fees either, but you get a lot more channels.
Try calling again... it really depends on who you talk to. I had a very hard time getting the $159 deal this year (which includes pretty much everything except TMC). I eventually got it by calling and complaining a lot. Of course Fios just became available in my town, so maybe that swayed things in my favor. If/when they take away this package deal, I'll most likely switch. I didn't threaten to cancel yet, but I won't hesitate to do it if I can't negotiate a decent rate.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #7700
morac
Cat God

Comcast actually just got rid of their triple play bundles according to my latest bill (and their web site) so it's no longer available if you don't have it. Just in time for the latest price increases (modem rental $7, internet up $1, tv up a few dollars). I'm this close to dropping down to Comcast's lowest digital level.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #7701
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hi Gang. It's been a couple of years, but my Cablecards are acting up again. Both of my Series 3's are getting the "searching for signal" and gray screen on one or both tuners. Already trekked to the Comcast store and got two new cards for TiVo 1 and only one of them works, NOW TiVo 2 is acting up. Not sure if it's part of the same problem or if the CSR at Comcast messed it up when she was trying to fix my other TiVo.

So now I have TWO hosed TiVos. Not sure what else to do except wait for the Truck Roll today. I'll keep you posted. FWIW my signal levels are at about 95 on average and my Signal to Noise Ratio is at 35 dB (is that too low?).

Any thoughts on what might be going on?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #7702
cybrinsanity

I got a Tivo Premiere XL for Xmas and just got the cable card in yesterday to find out that I don't get all the HD channels I got before?? I called Comcast and they said the Cable Card doesn't receive HD channels past 719... Is this true or was the guy just rushing me off the phone??
cybrinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #7703
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrinsanity View Post
I got a Tivo Premiere XL for Xmas and just got the cable card in yesterday to find out that I don't get all the HD channels I got before?? I called Comcast and they said the Cable Card doesn't receive HD channels past 719... Is this true or was the guy just rushing me off the phone??
Don't know where you are but that's absolutely not true here. If you were in my area I'd say it sounds like you're only getting HD Basic and not getting HD Starter or HD Preferred (or the radio channels up in the 900 range). This may have more to do with some setting in your account rather than the card itself, I have no idea. Please let us know what happens.
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #7704
HazelW

On my two TiVo's, the channel map appears all messed up. Actual channels and guide do not match. This just happened today in the Hanover PA area. On my Comcast box everything is fine.

Do you suppose Comcast will fix this or do I need to call someone? I'm guessing that I will not reach an person who understands the problem. They are in the process of switching to all digital.

Any thoughts?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #7705
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

I was able to get a card from the Comcast office, but couldn't get customer service to activate it properly. Even tried the ComcastCares people on twitter. Ended up having a tech come out.

It mostly works, but I'm getting several channels that are unwatchable due to freezing and pixellation. Comcast says it's Tivo's fault. Anybody else having this problem?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #7706
sgip2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
I was able to get a card from the Comcast office, but couldn't get customer service to activate it properly. Even tried the ComcastCares people on twitter. Ended up having a tech come out.

It mostly works, but I'm getting several channels that are unwatchable due to freezing and pixellation. Comcast says it's Tivo's fault. Anybody else having this problem?
Doubt your issues are Tivo related. Most likely signal quality problems.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #7707
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Doubt your issues are Tivo related. Most likely signal quality problems.
Dunno. I checked the channels today, and they seem to be working. Tivo CS said the update pushed out yesterday was to fix pixellation issues. Seems to have worked. My menus are kinda wonky, though.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #7708
sgip2000

Quote:
Dunno. I checked the channels today, and they seem to be working. Tivo CS said the update pushed out yesterday was to fix pixellation issues. Seems to have worked. My menus are kinda wonky, though.
The tivo update for pixelation was for users who had too strong of a signal. Mainly FIOS users.

You can check the signal strength from the diagnostic screen. It should be close to 100% without being over 100.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #7709
Pokemon_Dad
Ruler of an Unown UI

Quote:
Nowadays they call it "tiling", because the picture breaks up into tiles. Welcome to the new digital wonderland. This stuff is far more sensitive to bad connections than analog signals.

The problem is most likely in the signal coming in from the network, or the wiring in your house somewhere. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the TiVo, especially if it's just some but not all channels. If the signal coming in from the pole is OK then it could be a number of things in your house, including the length of the coaxial cable, a kink in a cable, or a loose connector somewhere. But every time you mention you have a TiVo, you run the risk of having a rep just try to get rid of you by blaming the TiVo and passing you on to someone else. Don't let them do that.

In my case, after they checked all the wires in my house they eventually found the problem was water inside a tap up on a pole two houses away. I was getting tiling on only some channels, and only on winter mornings here in California when the water got close to freezing. It took over a year to convince them to look in that direction, because the inside techs and the outside Network linemen are almost like warring factions inside Comcast. I had to escalate this to Comcast Corporate (higher than ComcastCares, which may not have existed at the time), before Network agreed to cooperate.
Silicon Valley, CA
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #7710
volcs1

First of all, thanks for the advice here - I've just spent about 30 minutes reading, trying to get my bearings.

To summarize and get some advice....

I just ordered a TiVo Premiere (Sellout Woot today). I am in Chicago.

Based on what I've seen here, it might be easier to have the tech come out, rather than fight with the store and then fight with the activation CSRs.

Regarding an M card and not an S card - is this something I can specify when I order the service call? Is this something they can push back on?

Anything else to consider? This is like getting my drivers license... I'm trying to prepare in advance as much as possible to avoid the pain, but I know it is going to hurt anyway...

Thanks for the advice.
volcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote