TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #511
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.24

OK, I'm now back to using KEYBOARD for direct text on the Premiere (only), IRCODE elsewhere. Also, for those who haven't followed the discussions in the HME board: It turns out that KEYBOARD does return a KEY_PRESS event to HME apps, but only if the app reports that it implements version 0.49 or later of the HME protocol. These events are very different from the IRCODE kind, and allow conveying mixed case and all symbols, just like a real keyboard. You have to send a shift key code first to get uppercase or the top-row symbols. An uppercase "A" would look like this:

Code:
KEYBOARD LSHIFT\r
KEYBOARD A\r
while a lowercase "a" would just omit the shift -- KEYBOARD itself still only takes uppercase letters.

In addition to A-Z and NUM0-9, the accepted key names for KEYBOARD are (I think) as follows:

Code:
MINUS
EQUALS
LBRACKET
RBRACKET
BACKSLASH
SEMICOLON
COMMA
PERIOD
SLASH
BACKQUOTE
SPACE
CAPS
LSHIFT
RSHIFT
LCONTROL
RCONTROL
LMETA
RMETA
KBDUP
KBDDOWN
KBDLEFT
KBDRIGHT
PAGEUP
PAGEDOWN
HOME
INSERT
BACKSPACE
DELETE
KBDENTER
ESCAPE
LSHIFT applies only to the next character; CAPS will shift into that mode until called again. Some of the codes are redundant with regular TiVo keys. Only about half of the symbols are defined -- the lower half. So, to send a question mark, you'd send LSHIFT, SLASH. For a plus sign, LSHIFT, EQUALS. CAPS does not modify symbols.

The lower-half symbols also work with IRCODE (and I've incorporated them into the direct text support for S3 and HD). I've had some mixed results while trying to use shift with IRCODE, but the bottom line is that it's not usable right now. (I'm still hoping that KEYBOARD will make its way to the S3 and HD.)

Version 0.24 of my remote program also fixes an issue where tabbing once to get to the text entry field no longer worked in Tk (since 0.20) -- reported by "MelSmith" -- and turns the "macro" keys from hardwired functions into a tuple, "MACROS".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #512
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Now in addition to the symbols listed above, I'm finding all kinds of interesting new IRCODEs. I'm not sure when these were introduced, but they're available at least as far back as 11.0b:

Code:
CC_ON
CC_OFF
Direct closed-caption toggling! No more pulling up the Info screen to do it.

Code:
ASPECT_CORRECTION_FULL
ASPECT_CORRECTION_PANEL
ASPECT_CORRECTION_ZOOM
ASPECT_CORRECTION_WIDE_ZOOM
Direct Zoom mode setting. This is the only way to change the aspect from within the YouTube viewer, for example. (Finally! Yes, it works.) Also of note is "WIDE_ZOOM" -- available only via this code, AFAIK. It's an irregular stretch mode, where the sides of the picture are more distorted than the center.

There are a bunch more that are less interesting to me, like "VIDEO_MODE_FIXED_480i" (etc.), and "TUNER_SWITCH", but I haven't tested them yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 12-27-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #513
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There are a bunch more that are less interesting to me, like "VIDEO_MODE_FIXED_480i" (etc.), and "TUNER_SWITCH", but I haven't tested them yet.
"VIDEO_MODE_FIXED_720p" would sure fix the problem I've been having where my crappy HDMI switch keeps knocking my TiVo's back to 480p.

I tried modifying an existing 'macro' of yours, but never could get the timing to be consistent when going thru 4 or 5 menu screens to get to the Video Output Format screen.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #514
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Also of note is "WIDE_ZOOM" -- available only via this code, AFAIK. It's an irregular stretch mode, where the sides of the picture are more distorted than the center.
I swear I'm just about to lost it completely with the morons running TiVo. To implement this feature which was requested since day 1 of the HD DirecTV units appearance, and to not even provide a way for the user to access it is just, well, maddening.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #515
mjh
Re: Member

Thank you so much for tivoremote. It's working fantastically except for a couple of things related to keyboard shortcuts - which I have become addicted to.

Questions:
  1. Space doesn't seem to be pausing for me. What I press the pause button in the GUI, it works as expected. But I've come accross some odd behavior when I'm watching live TV. Spacebar should just pause the program but it doesn't. Instead it does two things:
    1. The TiVo will pause the current program
    2. The TiVo will go to the prev channel displayed (unpaused)
    It does this consistently, and I can't figure out anyway to just pause Live TV using a keyboard shortcut.
  2. When I'm looking at the guide using the standard remote, if I press (for example) 2enter, the guide will take me to channel 2 (or whatever's closest to it, like 2-1) in the guide w/o actually changing the channel. But in tivoremote, that will change the channel to channel 2 (or whatever's closest to it) and the guide will disappear. Is there some way to mimic the "2enter" behavior that the standard remote does in tivoremote?

Thanks.
08/05-05/06:HDVR2,146h,RIP
12/03-08/05:HDVR2,105h
04/03-11/03:HDVR2,35h
12/02-04/03:S2SA,40h,lifetime

Last edited by mjh : 12-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #516
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Thank you so much for tivoremote.
Is that mine you're talking about, or Jeepguy's, or something else? You should also mention what kind of TiVo(s) you have. Oh, and what OS you're using.

Assuming it's mine: I can't reproduce your issues. However, I'll just remind you that the keyboard shortcut for the remote's "Enter" key is not, as one might expect, "Enter" (because that's mapped to "Select"), but rather "." (because that was available). If you entered a channel number in the guide and then pressed Select (Enter) instead of Enter (.), you might see what you're seeing.

But I have no explanation for what you're seeing with the space bar.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #517
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
To implement this feature which was requested since day 1 of the HD DirecTV units appearance, and to not even provide a way for the user to access it is just, well, maddening.
The WIDE_ZOOM mode is actually kind of awful, so I can see why they'd leave it out. The interesting thing is that they did make it available via the network interface.

My guess is that, with the one-button interface to the Zoom modes, having to cycle through as many as three modes to get to where you wanted was just too much, and WIDE_ZOOM was easily the most expendable, to bring the Zoom button down to a reasonable level of inconvenience to use.

As for why they included it at all, I suspect it's a feature of the chipset.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #518
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by uspino View Post
And here's the 32 and 64-bit EXE files, the necessary INI file and TiVo's PDF with the full list of commands.
I wanted to highlight this, because I didn't really notice it until last night, when I finally looked at uspino's archive. TiVo has released official documentation! Did anyone else know this? The PDF is here:

http://www.tivo.com/assets/images/ab...col_073108.pdf

I'm not sure when this happened -- the file itself is dated 2008, but this page, which links to it, seems to date it July 2010.

It doesn't cover anything we didn't already know (although it would have, if I hadn't just found CC_ON etc. by looking for strings in tivoapp -- after uspino posted this, but before I noticed it), nor does it cover direct text input. But still, it's nice to see it officially.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #519
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I did find one inaccuracy in the PDF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo
The client may send as many IRCODE requests as desired. If requests arrive faster than the DVR can process them, the DVR queues the requests and processes them in the order they arrived.
Well, yes, that's how it should work. But I think it would be more correct to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
If requests arrive faster than the DVR can process them, the DVR may spontaneously reboot.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #520
mjh

Quote:
Is that mine you're talking about, or Jeepguy's, or something else?
Yes sorry. Didn't realize there were forks. As far as the other things you requested:

TiVo HDXL (stock)
Windows 7 Professional (running as non-admin)

Also, I'm using Python 2.7.1 as availble here: http://python.org/download/

Quote:
But I have no explanation for what you're seeing with the space bar.
The Readme says that this is tested on 2.3 through 2.6. I suppose I could backup to 2.6.x and see if this makes a difference.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #521
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Yes sorry. Didn't realize there were forks.
Not a fork; it's a totally different implementation, in Java. And there are others, too.

Quote:
The Readme says that this is tested on 2.3 through 2.6. I suppose I could backup to 2.6.x and see if this makes a difference.
Very unlikely.

Was my comment about Enter vs. Select on point?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #522
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.25

I decided that the CC_ON codes were worth an update -- this actually is much nicer than the old closed-caption toggling method; so far, it even seems not to leave any residue on the screen when I toggle them off, which happens all the time with the Info-menu method (even when just using a regular remote, and not the network interface).

Since it's CC_ON and CC_OFF instead of a direct toggle, the program has to assume a state at startup, so it assumes that captions are off. If they're already on, that just means that the first press of the CC button will turn them on again (redundantly), and after that the program and the TiVo will be in sync.

Note that there's no visual or aural feedback with this method, except the appearance or disappearance of the captions -- no menu pops up, no bongs or beeps sound. So, on programs with no captions, nothing will appear to happen at all.

http://github.com/wmcbrine/tivoremote

Old 01-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #523
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Another bug in the TiVo document: Although it's never stated explicitly, "After a successful channel change, all open clients receive the CH_STATUS message" carries the distinct implication that multiple clients can be connected simultaneously. AFAICT, this has never been the case -- back in the day, just trying it caused crashes; now, the second client just gets immediately disconnected (and there's still occasional weirdness).

The document also fails to mention the Zeroconf announcements of the remote service.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #524
DarthObiwan

I'm wondering what new things they have added or will be adding for the iPad app. They mention it will be able to start a recording up right away. I would imagine they would make it much easier than having to have your sorting/grouping options match perfectly.

I wrote a Windows Mobile 6.5 remote app for myself over Christmas. I may open source it once I get better auto-discovery. I ended up having to go the scan route since I could not find a good Zeroconf implementation for .NET CF. Unfortunately I could not do a Windows Phone 7 version at all, MS has kept TCP sockets closed for now. I do know it is one of the highest requested features and will probably make it into the update later this year
DarthObiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #525
mjh

Quote:
Was my comment about Enter vs. Select on point?
No. That didn't really change anything. I'm still experiencing the problem.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #526
jafi

Q about Netmote 1.02b

I've downloaded both the 1.03b and the 1.02b versions - I got one of them (1.02b I think) working with my Series 3 on a Dell Latitude D630 running XP pro. I was able to pull up my Now Playing list and start a recording playing and pause it.

I accidentally dismissed the Netmote - and now I can't get either version of the Netmote to work with the Tivo again. I've tried both, shut off my firewall for testing. Is there a Windows service or process that needs to be killed/reset/restarted? (I haven't rebooted the laptop - though that's next).

I configure Netmote with the IP address. I connect - and when I push a button on the Netmote I see the red indicator flash (which doesn't flash till I connect).

I am able to connect directly to the series 3 via browser using the IP URL and the MAK as password.

I do have the Tivo desktop installed - but that shouldn't interfere with Netmote?

I'm just baffled why it worked the first time - but not when I restarted a minute later.

FWIW - there's a great little browser based remote for the Roku player box called Remoku(google pops it right up). I run it in Chrome and seems to find/store the IP - I don't have to manually connect each time I use it.

Update: Rebooting fixed it - and both versions now work even after being closed and restarted. Would like to understand what was causing the problem before though.

Second update: Now Netmote (either version) isn't working again when I start and connect it. This is very frustrating.
  • Panasonic DMR-EH50 DVR/DVD with TVGOS V7 - 11/2005
  • 2 Roku Players Model N1000

Last edited by jafi : 01-26-2011 at 07:08 PM.
jafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #527
MPSAN

I will never figure out why they will not let us delete a show. It would be nice to remove a recorded show without turning on the TV...especially if it is a big screen set in another room!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #528
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I will never figure out why they will not let us delete a show. It would be nice to remove a recorded show without turning on the TV...especially if it is a big screen set in another room!
If they let you delete a show they won't have the opportunity to pass along your delete request to retention in the hopes they can talk you out of it.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #529
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
You can delete a show, you just need to "upgrade" to a TiVo Premiere, and get an iPad, and then use the iPad app.

Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #530
MPSAN

Well, there are still a few features of my ReplayTV's that I miss with the TIVO's!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #531
ttocsmi

Quote:
Another bug in the TiVo document: Although it's never stated explicitly, "After a successful channel change, all open clients receive the CH_STATUS message" carries the distinct implication that multiple clients can be connected simultaneously. AFAICT, this has never been the case -- back in the day, just trying it caused crashes; now, the second client just gets immediately disconnected (and there's still occasional weirdness).

The document also fails to mention the Zeroconf announcements of the remote service.
@wmcbrine - ahahahahahhhahhha!!!! now it works; i downloaded the .zip file (using the Downloads button) and it works just fine. really cool!!

thanks for your patience and for writing this code.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #532
nathanm412

Thanks wmcbrine for this tool. I've been using it for a couple of years and really appreciate it.
nathanm412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #533
morac
Cat God

Is there a way to simulate holding down a button via the network interface? If not how does one jump to the beginning/end of a program on a Premiere that's set up to hold down the instant replay/skip button to jump to the beginning/end of a program?
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #534
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Is there a way to simulate holding down a button via the network interface? If not how does one jump to the beginning/end of a program on a Premiere that's set up to hold down the instant replay/skip button to jump to the beginning/end of a program?
Without the 30-Sec skip enabled, pressing ->| will jump to end, pressing it again will then jump to the beginning.. An alternate way is to press << or >> then each press of ->| will jump to the next white tic mark in that direction.

With 30-Sec skip, use the alternate.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #535
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO
With 30-Sec skip, use the alternate.
So I guess the answer is that there is no way to simulate holding down the button.

I wonder if there is a special IRCODE to jump to the beginning/end. There must be since the iPad app can jump to any time in the playback stream.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #536
jmemmott

I suspect someone is casing the forum spam filters. There is also a spam entry that reactived my Closed Captioning thread from last November in the ToGo forum with Russian "traffic stoplight" verbage and an entry in the HME for Python thread in the Developers forum about "PinayTV". All first posts, all about the same time this morning...

jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #537
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

I've reported about half a dozen spam posts, which still remain on the boards. That russian one was one of them. I'm wondering if the "Report Post" function got clobbered with the hardware move done this past weekend...

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #538
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I've reported about half a dozen spam posts, which still remain on the boards. That russian one was one of them. I'm wondering if the "Report Post" function got clobbered with the hardware move done this past weekend...
It sometimes takes a while for the mods to make time to kill off the less obvious spam messages.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #539
grafton

thanks for the app any chance you'll be able to reconfigure to where it's standalone?
grafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #540
bbrown9

Mute and volume controls?

I don't see buttons for mute and volume. The PDF has IRCODEs listed for them.

Any chance that they will be implemented in the future?

Another suggestion:
A Help button that displays the readme.txt file (for viewing keybaord shortcuts, etc)
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote