TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #421
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

A 2TB WD Green EARS drive will work for a Premiere upgrade, correct? Is there anything special I need to do to it? I just got it a month or two ago and was using it for storage in my system.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #422
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
A 2TB WD Green EARS drive will work for a Premiere upgrade, correct? Is there anything special I need to do to it? I just got it a month or two ago and was using it for storage in my system.
See here for more info:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...12#post8305812

You can adjust the AAM to make it quieter and if it was manufactured prior to 09/15/10 you may need to adjust the Intellipark timeout. You can find more information about adjusting the AAM and Intellipark settings on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ (specifically Section IV, #32 and Section V, #14 respectively):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 01-03-2011 at 11:07 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #423
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
See here for more info:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...12#post8305812

You can adjust the AAM to make it quieter and if it was manufactured prior to 09/15/10 you may need to adjust the Intellipark timeout. You can find more information about adjusting the AAM and Intellipark settings on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ (specifically Section IV, #32 and Section V, #14 respectively):

Happy upgrading!
You're second link doesn't work.

Is it worth it to spend the extra cash for the A/V drives vs a regular Green?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #424
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
You're second link doesn't work.

Is it worth it to spend the extra cash for the A/V drives vs a regular Green?
Link works now. Some think extra $$$ for a dedicated A/V drive is worth it, some don't think so and don't mind setting the AAM themselves.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #425
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southie Boy View Post
.......I would love to get the programs (plenty of which are copy protected cable channel content, copy protection courtesy of Time Warner Cable) off the HD and onto the Premiere.
I'm in the same situation. I decided to keep my old tivo set up until I watch everything/need the cash/or get sick of looking at it. My new premier will record all the new stuff & in a pinch I'll have 4 tuners in the living room.
The cable card rental is between $1.75-$2/month.

On a side note, anyone know if the slide (bluetooth) remote & the IR glow remote can operate in the same room without pairing to the tivo?
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #426
Southie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Unfortunately, there's no way to do it if the shows are copy-protected. You can hack the TiVo to disable copy-protection for future recordings, but AFAIK there's no way to remove it from past recordings. They're stuck on the TiVo they were recorded on.
So...... If i were to do a drive size expansion on my current HD TiVo by copying the contents of the existing drive to a new larger drive using JMFS are you telling me the files carrying the copy protection flag will not transfer to the upgrade drive?
Southie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #427
Tivoitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southie Boy View Post
So...... If i were to do a drive size expansion on my current HD TiVo by copying the contents of the existing drive to a new larger drive using JMFS are you telling me the files carrying the copy protection flag will not transfer to the upgrade drive?
If you copy your current HD Tivo drive over to a new drive and then put that new drive back into the same HD Tivo, everything will transfer over (because JMFS does straight copy of the drive). You will see all the shows and they will still be copy protected.

If your current HD Tivo drive is the original never-been expanded drive, then you'll be able to expand the new drive via JMFS. If your current HD Tivo has a drive that was already expanded (whether by JMFS or by WinMFS), then you won't be able to expand the new drive using JMFS.

If you're hoping to take the HD Tivo drive, copy and expand it onto a new drive, and drop that new drive into the Premiere, that won't work.
Tivoitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #428
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
.... You can hack the TiVo to disable copy-protection for future recordings,.....
I imagine the hack requires a soldering pencil.....?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #429
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I imagine the hack requires a soldering pencil.....?
Yep.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #430
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Link works now. Some think extra $$$ for a dedicated A/V drive is worth it, some don't think so and don't mind setting the AAM themselves.
-nods- I'm debating on wether to use the EARS drive currently in my machine or to order a new AV drive.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #431
SMWinnie
Dis Member

I know this has been discussed but can't seem to find the previous posts. Starting yesterday, I've had a green "serious problem...wait three hours" screen. Rebooting gets to "a few minutes more" before dropping to the green screen.

I vaguely remember that the next step is either to check WDidle (which I think I did before installing the drive) or to kickstart. Little help?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #432
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
I know this has been discussed but can't seem to find the previous posts. Starting yesterday, I've had a green "serious problem...wait three hours" screen. Rebooting gets to "a few minutes more" before dropping to the green screen.

I vaguely remember that the next step is either to check WDidle (which I think I did before installing the drive) or to kickstart. Little help?
An mfsAssert (GSOD) indicates data corruption. It may be due to a power fluctuation (particularly if you don't have TiVo on a UPS), signal issue or hardware problem including the hard drive itself. It probably doesn't have anything to do with the Intellipark feature (addressed with wdidle3.exe).

If you haven't already (but it sounds like you have), try power cycling your TiVo (pull the plug, wait about 10 seconds for the drive to spin down and then plug it back in). That may or may not fix things.

If not the Kickstart instructions are here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Since it's already trying to run KS57, you should probably try running KS58 to see if it can recover. If that doesn't work try running KS54 (SMART diagnostic) to see if a fail code appears and what it is.

Note that the instructions for running Kickstarts on TiVo Premiere and Premier XL's is slightly different than for other models...details are listed near the end of the Kickstart post.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #433
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
An mfsAssert (GSOD) indicates data corruption. It may be due to a power fluctuation (particularly if you don't have TiVo on a UPS), signal issue or hardware problem including the hard drive itself. It probably doesn't have anything to do with the Intellipark feature (addressed with wdidle3.exe).

If you haven't already (but it sounds like you have), try power cycling your TiVo (pull the plug, wait about 10 seconds for the drive to spin down and then plug it back in). That may or may not fix things.

If not the Kickstart instructions are here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Since it's already trying to run KS57, you should probably try running KS58 to see if it can recover. If that doesn't work try running KS54 (SMART diagnostic) to see if a fail code appears and what it is.

Note that the instructions for running Kickstarts on TiVo Premiere and Premier XL's is slightly different than for other models...details are listed near the end of the Kickstart post.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.
Thanks, Rich. I did power cycle without success and KS54 never got me to the SMART screen. I went home over lunch and tried a KS58. The Premiere downloaded and applied the service update but then went from "a few minutes more" to the GSOD.

From here, I guess I should pull the drive and run WD's diagnostic tools? (Or, since I don't think I'll ever trust the drive anyway, get a new 2TB drive and pull the original 320GB drive out of storage.)
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #434
sundiego

Using image

Great forum- thank you Comer and Rich!

Since I have 3 premieres and thanks to Dell deal of 2TB WD drive, I am all set to upgrade!

1 question- if I get premiere image file, is there a simpler way to burn/expand that on to my other 2 premieres? Otherwise each time I would have to wait for copying original disk right?

Rgds,
Sun
sundiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #435
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks, Rich. I did power cycle without success and KS54 never got me to the SMART screen. I went home over lunch and tried a KS58. The Premiere downloaded and applied the service update but then went from "a few minutes more" to the GSOD.

From here, I guess I should pull the drive and run WD's diagnostic tools? (Or, since I don't think I'll ever trust the drive anyway, get a new 2TB drive and pull the original 320GB drive out of storage.)
Bummer. Yep, as long as you have the original you could slip it back in and be back in business...plus use it to image a new drive. If you still experience problems at least you'd know it's something else (but it's most likely the drive).

You could run Western Digital's Lifeguard on it to see how things go. I know what you mean about it being in the back of your mind though...trust is a precious thing. I think I'd get an RMA and be done with it.

These things happen. Um, happy New Year!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #436
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiego View Post
Great forum- thank you Comer and Rich!

Since I have 3 premieres and thanks to Dell deal of 2TB WD drive, I am all set to upgrade!

1 question- if I get premiere image file, is there a simpler way to burn/expand that on to my other 2 premieres? Otherwise each time I would have to wait for copying original disk right?

Rgds,
Sun
Welcome to the forum. The last part, yes, you'll need to upgrade each TiVo individually. Once TiVo has been set up the image is actually tied to that particular TiVo. It is possible to use an image from one TiVo in another, identical model. However it will throw an error when it boots up and you have to run Clear and Delete Everything. CD&E wipes all of the cable card info and of course any recordings, etc. essentially creating a brand new TiVo. So if you want to keep anything at all...the wait is worth it.

Happy upgrading!

BTW, this is all Comer's fault...er, baby!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #437
shaggy2002

I have read a lot of these posts and am ready to upgrade to 2 TB. I purchased a WD20EVDS (manu 11 SEP 2010 bought from Amazon.) I gather from all the posts I read I do not need to set AAM adjustments since it is a WD20EVDS. Where I am confused is if I need to disable Intellipark or not. I read if manufactured before "november you are good" but think that was from a year ago. If someone could answer this I would appreciate it, as I would like to do the widdle while my drive is out of the tivo.
shaggy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #438
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
I have read a lot of these posts and am ready to upgrade to 2 TB. I purchased a WD20EVDS (manu 11 SEP 2010 bought from Amazon.) I gather from all the posts I read I do not need to set AAM adjustments since it is a WD20EVDS. Where I am confused is if I need to disable Intellipark or not. I read if manufactured before "november you are good" but think that was from a year ago. If someone could answer this I would appreciate it, as I would like to do the widdle while my drive is out of the tivo.
You are correct, the EVDS is a dedicated A/V drive series from Western Digital. The AAM is already set at the lowest/quietest level - 128.

You can find more information about adjusting the Intellipark settings (for WD drives manufactured prior to 09/15/10) on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ (specifically Section V, #14):

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #439
shaggy2002

Quote:
You are correct, the EVDS is a dedicated A/V drive series from Western Digital. The AAM is already set at the lowest/quietest level - 128.

You can find more information about adjusting the Intellipark settings (for WD drives manufactured prior to 09/15/10) on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ (specifically Section V, #14):

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Rich,

I read that last night, but that is what confused me.

"This issue affects all recent Western Digital EADS, EARS, and EAVS drives. It also affects EVVS drives manufactured after September 18 and EVDS drives manufactured since November. Drives built prior to these dates work perfectly fine; they do not exhibit the issue. The manufacture date is printed on the top of every drive."

my question is, November what? 2010, 2009, 2008?? The post goes back to like 2007. I appreciate all of your help in advance!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #440
alyssa

shaggy,
I'm in the process of copying to an evds drive with a date of sept 10, 2010. I plan on NOT running wdidle3.exe on it. I'm hopeful the Intellipark feature will be disabled. I will edit my post later on tonight with the results.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #441
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

I read that last night, but that is what confused me.

"This issue affects all recent Western Digital EADS, EARS, and EAVS drives. It also affects EVVS drives manufactured after September 18 and EVDS drives manufactured since November. Drives built prior to these dates work perfectly fine; they do not exhibit the issue. The manufacture date is printed on the top of every drive."

my question is, November what? 2010, 2009, 2008?? The post goes back to like 2007. I appreciate all of your help in advance!
It is confusing. That specific reference was for 2009. WD changed the firmware along about 09/15/10 so most drives manufactured after that date no longer require the Intellipark setting to be adjusted...some earlier and a few still needed it adjusted with dates shortly after that so it's still a bit of a crap shoot. I'll see if I can't scare up bkdtv to see if he'll update that portion of the post though.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #442
alyssa

I successfully did a soft restart of my newly upgraded EDVS. It's manufacture date is Sept 10, 2010. I did not use wdidle3.

Richard, thanks for suggesting trying the drive without using wdidle3.exe.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #443
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I successfully did a soft restart of my newly upgraded EDVS. It's manufacture date is Sept 10, 2010. I did not use wdidle3.

Richard, thanks for suggesting trying the drive without using wdidle3.exe.
Sweet! Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #444
shaggy2002

Alyssa,

Did you supersize yours? I am trying to determine if there are any cons on supersizing. I am thinking about not supersizing for now and trying later. Anyone have thoughts/ideas?

I currently have mine copying. 18 GB of 320 GB are copied.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #445
alyssa

I can't think of a reason to not supersize. I think it adds about 30 GBs more space.

I would try the drive & see if it'll do a soft reboot before using wdidle.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #446
richsadams

Quote:
Alyssa,

Did you supersize yours? I am trying to determine if there are any cons on supersizing. I am thinking about not supersizing for now and trying later. Anyone have thoughts/ideas?

I currently have mine copying. 18 GB of 320 GB are copied.
There's no downside to supersizing. It simply recovers a small amount of space reserved for TiVoClips.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #447
shaggy2002

Upgraded to 2 TB is done. That was way easier than when I upgraded my Tivo HD. I did the supersize option and did not use widdle. I restarted tivo through menu and everything booted back up fine.

Thanks to COMER for his software, and Rich and Alyssa for their advice!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #448
richsadams

Quote:
Upgraded to 2 TB is done. That was way easier than when I upgraded my Tivo HD. I did the supersize option and did not use widdle. I restarted tivo through menu and everything booted back up fine.

Thanks to COMER for his software, and Rich and Alyssa for their advice!
Excellent! IIRC your drive was manufactured Sept 11th? If not let me know. Otherwise enjoy all of that new real estate!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #449
SMWinnie
Dis Member

You know, I learned something today

Quote:
Quote:

Bummer. Yep, as long as you have the original you could slip it back in and be back in business...plus use it to image a new drive. If you still experience problems at least you'd know it's something else (but it's most likely the drive).

You could run Western Digital's Lifeguard on it to see how things go. I know what you mean about it being in the back of your mind though...trust is a precious thing. I think I'd get an RMA and be done with it.

These things happen. Um, happy New Year!
[Epilogue]

Let's see. Popped the original 320GB drive in the box and we were back up and running as soon as the Premiere could get current program data. (Interestingly, I think TiVo Central Online even automagically repopulated my kids' Season Pass list. There are some Season Passes on there that they asked for after I shelved the original drive.)

Running WD Data LifeGuard gave the following result:
Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAZAnnnnnnn
Firmware Number: 51.0AB51
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 08:40:12, January 09, 2011
Now, I'm a casual user but that sure smells like a bad drive to me. RMA time.

[Stan]
  1. I left the original drive in the Premiere until after Comcast showed up to pair the CableCard. This was a lifesaver - if I had not done that, I would be facing a drive replacement and a truck roll. Noting that Comer's method requires copying the whole 320GB drive regardless of whether the drive is empty or full of shows, and noting that there's no truncated backup file available, there's really no reason not to have a 320GB drive with Comcast's pairing info sitting on a dark shelf.
  2. What I failed to do was run the low-level drive check before comerizing it and dropping it in the TiVo. If this had been the grownups' TiVo, then I would be dealing with a bunch of lost hard-to-replace shows and the loss of at least six marital harmony points. (As it stands, the kids' five-episode buffer of Cartoon Network shows will get rebuilt in a week or so.) The replacement drive will get run through the WD Data LifeGuard extensive test before comerizing.
[/Stan]

[/Epilogue]
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #450
richsadams

Quote:
Popped the original 320GB drive in the box and we were back up and running as soon as the Premiere could get current program data.<snip>
Nice recap Stan. Cartman could learn a few things from you!

Enjoy!