TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #1291
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Whats the best 2TB drive for upgrading a premier?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post8263939

In addition several folks are happy with the WD20EURS:

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-WD20E...4019319&sr=8-1
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #1292
aaronwt
HD Addict

What happened to DVR_Dude on ebay? I was looking for a 1.5TB Premiere upgrade drive for one of my TiVos but I did not see any more auctions listed. The last ones I saw were from last month for only $110 which was a cost I would have gone with.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #1293
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What happened to DVR_Dude on ebay? I was looking for a 1.5TB Premiere upgrade drive for one of my TiVos but I did not see any more auctions listed. The last ones I saw were from last month for only $110 which was a cost I would have gone with.
No idea about dvrdude, but using Comer's 2TB DIY is about as simple as it gets.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #1294
Idol

Strange that DVR Dude has no active sales on Ebay. He had the 1Tb and the 2Tb Premiere drives for sale just a couple days ago. The 1.5 Tb was kind of rare for him, but did have a good price.
Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #1295
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Thanks Rich. Yes the concern is the cloning part using dd (which comer's util uses) won't work if the destination drive is even slightly smaller than the source. i.e. Not all 1 TB drives give you exactly 1 TB of space - they differ by a few Kbytes usually.

Last time I tried online SP manager it didn't work very well if making more than 1 change at a time.
Got the WD yesterday and cloned it using comer's utility to copy disk -> disk (took 19 hours since I'm using USB-SATA adapters!) When I tried running the expand partition step it failed, likely because partition was already fully expanded. At any rate the WD is in the Premiere and appears to be functioning properly and MUCH, MUCH quieter than the Hitachi Deskstar - glad to get that noisy sucker out of the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #1296
richsadams

Quote:
Got the WD yesterday and cloned it using comer's utility to copy disk -> disk (took 19 hours since I'm using USB-SATA adapters!) When I tried running the expand partition step it failed, likely because partition was already fully expanded. At any rate the WD is in the Premiere and appears to be functioning properly and MUCH, MUCH quieter than the Hitachi Deskstar - glad to get that noisy sucker out of the Premiere.
Excellent! I saw someone had the Hitachi on sale today for about $60...it's really too bad it doesn't qualify for TiVo use anymore, but that's the way it goes.

Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #1297
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Did you enable the acoustic management on the Hitachi? I had several of them in my S3/TiVoHDs and with the Acoustic management set at 128 it was just as loud/quiet as the WD drives.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #1298
richsadams

Quote:
Did you enable the acoustic management on the Hitachi? I had several of them in my S3/TiVoHDs and with the Acoustic management set at 128 it was just as loud/quiet as the WD drives.
Although the earlier editions of the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.c series of HDD's were very quiet out of the box and the AAM could be adjusted to make them even more quiet, the latest models are noisier and the AAM can no longer be adjusted (using hddscan or any version of the Hitachi Feature Tool, new or old). It looks like both events occurred with the drives manufactured after September 1 or possibly earlier.

The drives were a good option (I have a couple that have been flawless for more than a year) but there are a number of folks that ran into these issues recently and posted their experiences here...including moyekj. As mentioned earlier, it's too bad because they were a viable alternative.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-08-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #1299
aaronwt
HD Addict

Any idea why AM can no longer be adjusted?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #1300
richsadams

Quote:
Any idea why AM can no longer be adjusted?
None. Seems to have been a firmware change.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #1301
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

drive upgrade

just activated my Premiere

quwation is should I will the drive before adding an exteral drive?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #1302
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Diablo View Post
just activated my Premiere

quwation is should I will the drive before adding an exteral drive?
Your call I guess. It wouldn't make any difference either way unless the external drive failed for some reason. If that happened all of the recordings made from the day the external drive was connected would be lost.

You might want to consider upgrading your Premiere to a 2TB internal drive instead. The cost would be equal to or probably lower than buying a WD DVR Expander. Everything you need to know can be found here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

As DIY upgrades go it's very simple and having just one drive reduces the number of failure points. Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #1303
kettledrum

I'm having trouble getting HDDscan or the Hitachi feature tool to recognize my new drive (WD20EARS) to set AAM.

In HDDscan, my drive appears as a SCSI drive when I go to the features menu...the "IDE features" choice is greyed out and not selectable.

Using the Hitachi tool, the drive is not recognized at all.

I bought the Rosewill RC-212 PCI SATA card since my computer is ancient. Everything worked flawlessly using comer's instructions and then using wdidle3. The SATA drives on the new cards were recognized with no problems.

I've looked at the BIOS for a setting to change and nothing popped out at me as something to change. I also looked at the setup tool at startup for the SATA card, and there was nothing there for me to adjust. Any suggestions as for what to try next?

Edit: I found this on the HDDscan forum. It's an old post, but it doesn't look promising.

Oh, Rich, I should also note that my drive, which came from Dell, is dated in October 2010 (can't remember the exact date and the drive is in the computer right now) and it *did* indeed need wdidle applied. It showed as 8 seconds when I ran the tool.

Last edited by kettledrum : 01-10-2011 at 08:38 PM.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #1304
supersnoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I'm having trouble getting HDDscan or the Hitachi feature tool to recognize my new drive (WD20EARS) to set AAM.

In HDDscan, my drive appears as a SCSI drive when I go to the features menu...the "IDE features" choice is greyed out and not selectable.

I bought the Rosewill RC-212 PCI SATA card since my computer is ancient. Everything worked flawlessly using comer's instructions and then using wdidle3. The SATA drives on the new cards were recognized with no problems.

I've looked at the BIOS for a setting to change and nothing popped out at me as something to change. I also looked at the setup tool at startup for the SATA card, and there was nothing there for me to adjust. Any suggestions as for what to try next?

Edit: I found this on the HDDscan forum. It's an old post, but it doesn't look promising.

Oh, Rich, I should also note that my drive, which came from Dell, is dated in October 2010 (can't remember the exact date and the drive is in the computer right now) and it *did* indeed need wdidle applied. It showed as 8 seconds when I ran the tool.
Search for an older version of HDDScan. 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 should all work. For some reason, I couldn't get 3.3 to work for me, either.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #1305
wesbc

Quote:

I had the same problem and it turns out to be my Thermaltake BlacX external dock and this is only for my WD drives. If I connect directly to the MB it sees it fine.

My issue is HDDscan shows the drive currently already set to 254 for AAM with 128 being recommended. It's currently showing AAM as disable and I'm not sure how to enable it. If I click on set for the AAM at 254 it states parameter is invalid.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #1306
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
I had the same problem and it turns out to be my Thermaltake BlacX external dock and this is only for my WD drives. If I connect directly to the MB it sees it fine.

My issue is HDDscan shows the drive currently already set to 254 for AAM with 128 being recommended. It's currently showing AAM as disable and I'm not sure how to enable it. If I click on set for the AAM at 254 it states parameter is invalid.
Hmmm...I just ran the current version of hddscan using a Thermaltake BlackX dock connected to an 8 year-old Dell PC with a WD10EARS HDD and and it worked fine.

Keep in mind the program will only recognize one drive slot if it is a dual drive dock.

Here's how you adjust/enable AAM:

Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #1307
richsadams

Quote:

I have no idea why your WD20EARS would appear as an SCSI drive. I don't have one so unfortunately I can't test it. I know others have successfully adjusted the AAM on a WD20EARS, but I don't recall how they were attached, via a SATA port or using a USB adapter or drive dock (both of which will work w/hddscan BTW).

Regarding wdidle3.exe, did you try booting the drive up before you ran the program? Even though the newer drives still have the Intellipark timeout set to 8 seconds by default, apparently WD changed something else in the firmware so the timeout no longer needs to be adjusted.

I don't know why it would make a difference but you might try a USB adapter or dock to see if you can adjust the AAM.

Last edited by richsadams : 01-11-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #1308
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnoop View Post
Search for an older version of HDDScan. 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 should all work. For some reason, I couldn't get 3.3 to work for me, either.
Last night I did find 3.2 and downloaded it and tried it, to no avail. I have not sought out earlier versions yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I have no idea why your WD20EARS would appear as an SCSI drive. I don't have one so unfortunately I can't test it. I know others have successfully adjusted the AAM on a WD20EARS, but I don't recall how they were attached, via a SATA port or using a USB adapter or drive dock (both of which will work w/hddscan BTW).

Regarding wdidle3.exe, did you try booting the drive up before you ran the program? Even though the newer drives still have the Intellipark timeout set to 8 seconds by default, apparently WD changed something else in the firmware so the timeout no longer needs to be adjusted.

I don't know why it would make a difference but you might try a USB adapter or dock to see if you can adjust the AAM.
I am fairly certain that it is not the WD20EARS drive that is causing the problem, it is the PCI SATA card that is the culprit. If I had a USB adapter or a dock I would try that, but unfortunately I don't.

Regarding Wdidle3.... The drive was never booted except for comer's CD, and as soon as I finished with the copy, expand, & supersize I shut down and immediately booted using the wdidle CD I created. I did not put the drive back into the TiVo to try it before running wdidle3. I hadn't heard that the newer drives still reported an 8 second timeout so I figured I might as well check the setting while I had it out of the TiVo. Good to know!
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #1309
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I adjusted the AAM on my WD20EARS with a USB adapter, for what it's worth.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #1310
Bill McNeal

Has anyone lost a CableCard channel after upgrading their drive? It happened to me (I lost Comedy Central HD, even though SD comes through OK), and I'm wondering if it's related to if the CableCard sees different hardware, or if it's the cable company's fault.
Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #1311
gil sonnier

i tried to run wdidle3 on my computer and my computer wouldn't recognize my cd drive.
what are my options?
i have a premier and a wd20ears
gil sonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #1312
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil sonnier View Post
i tried to run wdidle3 on my computer and my computer wouldn't recognize my cd drive.
what are my options?
i have a premier and a wd20ears
See Section V, #14 here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160
Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #1313
mskvarenina

Quote:
What happened to DVR_Dude on ebay?
Interesting. That may explain why he hasn't answered my email. Last September I bought a 2TB WD20EARS from him. worked great for a while but last week my TiVo reverted back to the old interface (which I actually prefer because it's much faster) but then Friday I got the green screen of death. After letting it cycle through numerous restarts overnight I put back the original drive and everything is fine now.

So what should I do now? I wasn't sure if DVR_Dude would even replace the drive but if he's closed up shop, what's my next best alternative and should I resuse the drive elsewherer? I do have a NAS that needs a 2TB drive. In a RAID environment I could probably put it in and if it fails no big deal as I could just replac it then.
mskvarenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #1314
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina View Post
Interesting. That may explain why he hasn't answered my email. Last September I bought a 2TB WD20EARS from him. worked great for a while but last week my TiVo reverted back to the old interface (which I actually prefer because it's much faster) but then Friday I got the green screen of death. After letting it cycle through numerous restarts overnight I put back the original drive and everything is fine now.

So what should I do now? I wasn't sure if DVR_Dude would even replace the drive but if he's closed up shop, what's my next best alternative and should I resuse the drive elsewherer? I do have a NAS that needs a 2TB drive. In a RAID environment I could probably put it in and if it fails no big deal as I could just replac it then.
Bummer. I'd run Western Digital's Lifeguard diagnostics to see if there's a drive problem (it sounds like there is). The "quick test" may give you an answer but the extended read/write/read test is about the only way to guarantee that things are good or not. The quick test/surface scan doesn't have any impact on the data, however the extended test writes all zeroes to the drive and of course that wipes out anything on it. However if you're considering repurposing the drive anyway that's not a big deal. (Be aware that you'll probably want to run the extended diagnostics overnight as it can take 12 hours or more to run.)

I've purchased things from ebay now and then but if it's critical that I have someone to contact for support I stick with known vendors, one's that will likely be there a year or ten from now. That's not to say anything bad about DVRDude, but there's always a risk an ebay seller will disappear even if they have perfect feedback. Hope he turns up to take care of you.

Going forward Comer's jfms DIY Premiere upgrade program is really a piece of cake if you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a computer. (Up to 2TB upgrades.) Weaknees.com or DVRUpgrade.com (one in the same company now) are good bets for pre-imaged drives like DVRDude was selling. They cost more but they've been in business for many years now.

FWIW your Western Digital drive has a three-year warranty. If it does have problems (bad sectors, etc.) you should still be able to get a replacement drive. You can process the exchange on your own by going to the Western Digital Product Replacement site OR you can call Western Digital Customer Support at 1-800-ASK-WDC (275-4932) to have an agent process the exchange.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #1315
mskvarenina

Thanks, I did find DVR DUDE still selling on eBay and his ads say that after 30 days he will work with you (me) on an RMA with WD then for up to a year re-image the drive for free. This sounds reasonable. In the past I did do my. Own hard drives using MFS Tools? But this time around there was something at the time (inn the September timeframe) that made it sound easier to just buy a pre-imaged drive. Since that time however it seems there are better tools out there for DIY'rs so maybe I'll just go to WD, get the drive replaced then use one of the tools you and others have recommended.
mskvarenina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #1316
crabbon

4TB in TiVo Premiere

Looks like weaknees is selling the 4TB Tivo Premiere's again:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-premier...vr-series4.php

I know they stopped for some time. I wonder if the problem they had has been resolved.
crabbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #1317
dshlyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbon View Post

I know they stopped for some time. I wonder if the problem they had has been resolved.
Notice it's a single drive 4TB. I wonder if that's the key.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #1318
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
I don't think they have 4TB drives out yet. The 3TB drives are relatively new.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #1319
dshlyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
I don't think they have 4TB drives out yet. The 3TB drives are relatively new.
You're right. I didn't read past the "...Single Drive Premiere! (4 TB)"
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #1320
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbon View Post

It would be interesting to see the partition structure of the internal drive. We'd just need to get our hands on one. Volunteers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
AFAIK no one is making a 4TB drive. Per the description:

Quote:
Includes a 2TB internal drive and a 2TB external drive.