TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #91
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_sea_ya View Post
Dang, when I started reading this thread, I thought well, its old info, but so is my Hughs HDVR2 (DirecTivo) but I bet I can find some good info anyways. Well I did, but was also semi-surprised its still active, which is good to know the the info is still relevant and that there may be some new updated info/tools.

I have a WD320Gig drive (@v6.4a) that suddenly stopped working in my HDRV2. My original drive (Maxtor? 40G @6.2) works fine. The failed drive goes through the please wait and almost there screens then nothing, like it is in standby. (tried remote and front panel to bring it out of "standby" but didn't work). So I guess my drive has crashed and I want to attempt to recover it for the recordings. So here is my plan:

1. Run (from CD/Floppy) WD Diag's "quick test" to see health of failed drive.
2. Run DDRESCUE to copy failed drive to a new WD 320G drive.
3. If that fails, then run Spinrite on the failed drive and then copy to new drive.
4. If Spinrite fails, then throw in towel on saving the drive/recordings.

Question: Suggestions for getting dd_rescue? Seems like mslive.org is a good source. Or just use the sources listed in earlier posts?
dd-rescue is on the very useful MFS Live cd, as is hdparm.

If the "bad" 320GB drive and the new 320GB drive are the same size LBA-wise, then you can run dd_rescue with the -r option, which starts the copy at the ends of the drive and works toward the front.

Don't throw in the towel, wrap a couple of thicknesses of paper towel around the bad drive and put it in the freezer overnight.

Then do dd_rescue -r from it to the new one.

Put the new one in the TiVo and put it into "Kickstart" when you boot it.

If there are errors, but the underlying physical disc is not bad, you might be able to correct them with the Kickstart/Green Screen of Death routine.

After doing this, if you come out with a working drive with your recorded shows intact, *then* you can run diagnostics on the bad drive, but you want to make as good a copy as possible first before it goes even worse.

All of the above presupposes that you have a good new 320 GB drive on hand already.

If not, instead of going out and buying one for the same price as you could get a 1TB SATA drive and SATA-to-IDE adapter, go with the Kickstart/GSOD thing first, just in case it's not a physical defect in the current drive but just scrambled bytes.

By the way, a bunch of the earlier posts on this thread reveal a lack of understanding of what it does (which includes copying over an incorrect partition map if the drives aren't the same size).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #92
ss_sea_ya

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I do not currently have a replacement drive, but I do have some options regardless of what replacement drive I get. Having limited (but more than none) experience with this stuff, I was initially toying with keeping things simple with a replacement WD 320G drive- same size, same type. But it doesn't look too difficult to try the DD_RESCUE and, if it works, use mfsadd to correct the drive size if I go with the 1Tb drive.

Another option is my not so new PC has the exact same drive WD 320G in it. I bought both drives at the same time,as a side note, it passes SMART tests. I could use that and put my new drive in the PC.

I had seen the Kickstart thing, but was not sure it would work on my HDVR2, which has the "factory" 6.2 software on it. I'll give that a shot anyways. So here is my updated plan:

0.1: Put failed drive in TIVO with power cable only. If clicking then, drive prob bad (think I got this one off the WDC FAQ web site).
0.2: Regardless of above, run Kickstart/GSOD on the failed drive. If no luck then,
2. Run dd_rescue -r to copy FROZEN failed drive to a new WD 320G or 1 Tb drive (and mfsadd if successful). May also need to run kickstart/GSOD on replacement drive after copy.
3. If that fails, then run Spinrite on the failed drive and then copy to new drive. (May also need to run kickstart/GSOD on replacement drive after copy.)
4. If Spinrite fails, then throw in towel on saving the recordings and put replacement drive in PC or go to town in playground and put it in the HDVR2. Run WDC extensive diagnostics tests on failed drive to see if it is usable.

Thanks for the tip on the Freezing drive.

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 12-30-2010 at 04:10 PM.
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #93
unitron

Quote:

I do not currently have a replacement drive, but I do have some options regardless of what replacement drive I get. Having limited (but more than none) experience with this stuff, I was initially toying with keeping things simple with a replacement WD 320G drive- same size, same type. But it doesn't look too difficult to try the DD_RESCUE and, if it works, use mfsadd to correct the drive size if I go with the 1Tb drive.

Another option is my not so new PC has the exact same drive WD 320G in it. I bought both drives at the same time,as a side note, it passes SMART tests. I could use that and put my new drive in the PC.

I had seen the Kickstart thing, but was not sure it would work on my HDVR2, which has the "factory" 6.2 software on it. I'll give that a shot anyways. So here is my updated plan:

0.1: Put failed drive in TIVO with power cable only. If clicking then, drive prob bad (think I got this one off the WDC FAQ web site).
0.2: Regardless of above, run Kickstart/GSOD on the failed drive. If no luck then,
2. Run dd_rescue -r to copy FROZEN ;) failed drive to a new WD 320G or 1 Tb drive (and mfsadd if successful). May also need to run kickstart/GSOD on replacement drive after copy.
3. If that fails, then run Spinrite on the failed drive and then copy to new drive. (May also need to run kickstart/GSOD on replacement drive after copy.)
4. If Spinrite fails, then throw in towel on saving the recordings and put replacement drive in PC or go to town in playground and put it in the HDVR2. Run WDC extensive diagnostics tests on failed drive to see if it is usable.

If your TiVo drive itself is failing you don't want to run it any more than necessary.

Do you already own SpinRite?

Do you know anyone who could lend you a drive at least as large as the one in your computer, so that you could copy everything from the computer drive to the loaner and free up the TiVo drive's twin for experimentation?

You might want to post a question to the Help Center Forum

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...isplay.php?f=4

to get specific answers about running KS/BSOD on your particular model from those who know more than do I.

Include a link back to your original post in this forum so they can see your situation (without having to start on page 1 and go through all of the posts over the years) and what you've been advised so far.

Last edited by unitron : 12-30-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: slight improvement in precision of recommendation
Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #94
hoyty

MFSLive success with dead drive

Using WinMFS I didn't have much luck doing disk to disk copy. I tried SpinRite which basically said "um yeah this drive is dead" and then crashed trying to analyze it. I never had that happen. According to the patch notes the latest MFSLive integrates dd_rescue (or something similar) it seems into the backup script as it was able to copy the drive with about .5-1.0% data loss in recording area. It took almost 18 hours because of the bad parts of drive, but it finished and verified. I also tested a minimal transfer to verify the OS partitions were good and they seemed fine.

I just popped the drive in and it booted fine.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #95
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
Using WinMFS I didn't have much luck doing disk to disk copy. I tried SpinRite which basically said "um yeah this drive is dead" and then crashed trying to analyze it. I never had that happen. According to the patch notes the latest MFSLive integrates dd_rescue (or something similar) it seems into the backup script as it was able to copy the drive with about .5-1.0% data loss in recording area. It took almost 18 hours because of the bad parts of drive, but it finished and verified. I also tested a minimal transfer to verify the OS partitions were good and they seemed fine.

I just popped the drive in and it booted fine.

Did you try running dd_rescue in reverse?

Did you do anything special to keep the bad drive cooled?

Were you using the current full (expensive) version of Spinrite?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #96
unitron

Quote:

2. Run dd_rescue -r to copy FROZEN ;) failed drive to a new WD 320G or 1 Tb drive (and mfsadd if successful). May also need to run kickstart/GSOD on replacement drive after copy.

What you said about Kickstart and having the factory software finally sunk in.

You may be confusing it with some of the colorful aftermarket modding terms, but it's built into the TiVo software and all you need is the TiVo and the remote control to run it.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #97
ss_sea_ya

I wasn't sure if the Kickstart function was included/enabled in the DirecTV version of the Tivo software. For example, they did not include features like the HMO (or at least not enabled).
So far haven't been successful getting to operate (I have my original good drive in the box now). So as suggested I posted in tivo help thread about Kickstart and the HDVR2 http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=461978

EDIT UPDATE: Never got code 54 to work after numerous attempts. Did get Code 57 to work on my first attempt. (currently have my "good" drive installed. )

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 01-10-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #98
ss_sea_ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If your TiVo drive itself is failing you don't want to run it any more than necessary....
I think that is a good suggestion, so I probably won't run the code 57 Green Screen of Death on my failed drive.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #99
ss_sea_ya

Ok ran some tests on the failed drive.
- GSOD: No impact.
- Western Digital Diag's "quick tests", no errors!
Also ran Kickstart code 52 - No effect.

So My guess is boot sector data is messed up. So will copy data to new drive, then figure out how to install boot software to new drive.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #100
unitron

Quote:
Ok ran some tests on the failed drive.
- GSOD: No impact.
- Western Digital Diag's "quick tests", no errors!
Also ran Kickstart code 52 - No effect.

So My guess is boot sector data is messed up. So will copy data to new drive, then figure out how to install boot software to new drive.
You seem to be mistaking the TiVo for a computer, and thinking that you can do the kinds of things with the partitions that one does with computer hard drives. I wish it were so, but it is not.

I fear you have many hours of reading old threads on this and other sites, and old readmes and FAQs for some of the various software concoctions created to assist in TiVo disk size upgrades (MFS Tools, etc) ahead of you in order to gain some understanding of the particular peculiar mix of open and closed source software and filesystems and partition schemes that go into the TiVo voodoo.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #101
ss_sea_ya

Already there on the "hours of reading"

My premise is the hard drive is good, boot sector data screwed up, and recordings are good. (if recordings screwed up, no sense in proceding). My goal is to copy the data, and then restore a good boot image to the new drive. If this process isn't doable, hopefully someone will let me know to stop hitting my head against a brick wall.

So I've tried dd_rescue from free download here:
http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/lba48.cfm
It has an old version of dd_rescue and evenutally caused kernel panic (locked up).

So then tried tools from mfslive.org, as they appear more recent and a later version of dd_rescue (along with the start from end of disk option). Had some better luck, but still had same problem. Tried both dd_rescue and backup/restore (full w/recordings). Both crap out within 15 minutes or so (about 50Gig gets transferred with dd_rescue. -r command didn't make a difference, it still crapped out.). Can get backup/restore to work without recordings, but new drive doesn't boot (as I expected).

I may be having hardware issues causing the kernel panic so may try another hardware platform. Still might try the spinrite, but not there yet.

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 01-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #102
ss_sea_ya

Ok used a different hardware platform to run this stuff.

To summarize, my replacement drive (WD 320G) stopped working after about 4 years. HDVR2 would get thru "Power up" and "almost there" then go blank, like in standby. green light blinks in response to remote/front keypad button pushes, but does not come on (including directv buttons). Put original drive in, works fine. Thus an issue with the hard drive.

WD Diags quick test shows no errors.
- Using MFSLIVE and it configuration for saving recordings, I ran the backup/restore command line to copied to new drive.
- No errors were reported (it had the q switch, but showed progress).
- MSINFO, comes back with bunch of stuff, but nothing that would appear to be an error msg (not that i would recognize one at this point in my knowledge )
- Put new drive back in tivo, same result as failed drive, gets thru "almost there screen" then nothing (like its in standby, but with green light on front) and no effect (other than light flash on button pushes).

Ran kickstart code 58, when at the "almost there screen" said "installing service update". Took a while (10 min) then back thru reboot process and then back to blank screen with green light. (one time after this I left it on, and it rebooted after 5 more min then back to blank screen).

ran code 57, this time GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH for about 10 min. It rebooted and attempted a dial in then nothing. Dialin prob didn't connect. (phone line connected)

Ran kickstart code 56, get message "connecting to server... error : Bad Connection.) (phone line was hooked up). Green and yellow lights stuck on. (update: Found some post saying this is no longer supported.)

UPDATE#1: Ran kickstart code 56, THIS TIME W/DLINK USB ETHERNET ADAPTER (NOTE: network driver was never installed, still running "factory" 6.4a software). Get message "connecting to server... error : No Server Directory Specified" (phone line was hooked up). Green and yellow lights stuck on. (Just interesting to note different error msg, but still yielded same result. Of course, now I wish I had installed the networking....may not have made a diff. but...). Tried the other usb port, same result.

Update #2: Ran kickstart code 54, goes thru almost there screen, then blank with Green and yellow lights stuck on. (green light flashes with remote button pushes).

Ran kickstart code 52 , rebooted after "almost there" and then blank with Green & yellow lights on)

Ran kickstart code 51 , rebooted after "almost there", and went thru boot screens again, then nothing again. green light on.
Kickstart code 0. rebooted after "almost there", and went thru boot screens At "power up" screen, it did dial out. Where and who, I have no idea. but prob didn't successfully connect to anything, seemed to "Line in Use" (observed from another extension) for less than 30 seconds. Finished going thru power up, almost there, then back to blank screen with green light.

May try code 0 a few times to see if I can get a successful connections.

Last edited by ss_sea_ya : 01-18-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Ran kickstart code 56 w/ethernet/usb adapter (still on fact 6.4a so no networking installed). Added notes on testing.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #103
ss_sea_ya

Well, I read many posts through many archives and multiple web sites and all seem to be left unanswered with those that have get through "almost there" and then nothing.

Some updates:

1. dd_rescue (from MFSLIVE): Copies, no errors, no change.
(I used MFSLIVE version as it seems to have a newer version of dd_rescue than the DVRupgrade LBA48 Boot Disk V4.04).

2. WDC Diagnostic results:
Quick Test: Passes
Extended Test - Fails a few minutes (maybe less?) into the test "too many bad sectors". My speculation is disk appears to be "99%" full, so maybe no room to move bad sectors.

3. WINSMFS copy - no errors, but no change

4. Backup/Restore (MFSLIVE CD) and MFSCOPY(WINSMFS) No Errors, but no change.

5. WINSMFS MFSCOPY from the original drive to new drive. Works fine (with 1 minor artifact that live video plays while in menu's).

6. MFS Info - reads fine (on original, failed, and replacement drives)

Most of the above were run using USB/IDE interfaces (dd_rescue was run both ways, originally using IDE ports and then later using USB/IDE interfaces.

Some ideas yet to try:
1. Run tools to add in the USB Networking to the tivo and explore more from there. (Will run these on the copied new drive, since I'm sure I will have a learning curve).

2. I am conflicted with the results of "no errors" on the dd_rescue, WINSMFS copy, and the backup/restore, yet WDC diags Extended Test fails very quickly. Thus, I am not if this problem is a candidate for Spinrite since the reads *apparently* produce no errors. Then again, maybe its exactly what it needs...So after I play with the usb networking stuff, I may be back to spinrite as a last resort.

So I still have not given up yet, but even if not successful, this is actually turning into a fun learning experience and hobby. And I will be sure to post my final results somewhere.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #104
ss_sea_ya

Just in case anyone finds this thread, I never tried anything else to recover the disk/data. As timed passed, recovering the shows became less relevant, so I have essentially shelved the project (for now) and just installed a new image on my new disk to get the system up and running.
DirecTV Hughs HDVR2 (Tivo version, SD)
(original 40G good drive but replacement 320G drive now "under repair").
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #105
stopright

Quote:
Just in case anyone finds this thread, I never tried anything else to recover the disk/data. As timed passed, recovering the shows became less relevant, so I have essentially shelved the project (for now) and just installed a new image on my new disk to get the system up and running.
Never, never give up

Are you sure you don't wanna dig up all of those hours of greatness? I was recently in the video store office discussing a few things with a friend and we overheard somebody talking about how they have an archive over 50 terabytes worth of shows. There has to be some pretty good laughs, cries, and spooks in there wouldn't you say? Sounds like it is about time to bust out the dvd burning software.

Last edited by stopright : 02-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
stopright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #106
ciper

Wanted to add useful information to this thread. One of my Tivo has two 1tb drives. I could tell a drive was starting to act up. I didn't want to wait for one to finish copying and then come back and start the copy of the second. I don't trust that connecting a drive to port one means automatically it will be /dev/sda like most guys assume. So I did the following -

Hooked all four drives (two old 1gb drives and two new 1gb drives) to the computer using onboard SATA.
Booted into MFSlive cd

hdparm -l /dev/sdX
(X being A-D for every port to make sure where each drive was connected by model number )

dd_rescue -y 2048 -v -b 4M -B 256 -l /drive1.log & /dev/sdc /dev/sdb &
(copy original A drive to new A drive)

ps
(to find the process ID number which happened to be 946)

kill -stop 946
(this temporarily pauses the dd_rescue process)

dd_rescue -y 2048 -v -b 4M -B 256 -l /drive2.log & /dev/sda /dev/sdd &
(copy original B drive to new B drive)

kill -cont 946
(to restart the previous A drive copy process)

The Ampersand after every command lets it run in the background. Now the two drives are both copying simultaneously. The output of the two commands sort of fight for screen space but the refreshes are slow enough that you can catch a glimpse of both of them. Right now the separate AVERAGE copy speeds are 42MB per second and 35MB per second, or a total of 77MB per second. This is on an old as dirt Pentium 4 550 processor desktop.

Oh and if anyone cares I am using a Seagate ST1000DM003 as my A drive. I was able to boot the system with this drive as a test so it is at least potentially compatible. I am afraid it may not work because its both 6gb SATA and has advanced formatting without jumpers to disable either.

Edit: The transfer speed average has gone up. It is now at a combined NINETY FOUR megabytes per second! The current measured actual speed is well over 100MBps. The two lines shown are the individual drives (notice the progress is different between the two)

Last edited by ciper : 10-11-2013 at 07:54 PM.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #107
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
dd_rescue -y 2048 -v -b 4M -B 256 -l /drive1.log & /dev/sdc /dev/sdb &
(copy original A drive to new A drive)
dd_rescue -y 2048 -v -b 4M -B 256 -l /drive2.log & /dev/sda /dev/sdd &
(copy original B drive to new B drive)
The last & on each line puts the command in background, but are you sure you need the first & (after the drive?.log) ?

Instead of the PS and KILL, if you want, you can run the first command in foreground, then press ctrl-z to suspend it. This will stop the output so you can type the 2nd command, then type "fg %1" to resume the first command. It achieves the same thing you wrote, but you don't need to look for the process id of the first command.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote