TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #61
IamMBS

I just used dd_rescue per the instructions listed in Post #3 with a Knoppix cd. I have a series 1 Sony svr-2000 unit that was previously upgraded to 80GB AND 120GB drives. I used dd_rescue on both drives and copied the old drives to the new drives. The new drives are both 160GB drives. Everything went fine during the copy process with no errors (surprised me) on either drive. I put the new drives in the Tivo and the Tivo doesn't get past the first "Your Tivo is powering up" screen. I put the old drives in and everything is fine.

It's pretty apparent that the data wasn't successfully transferred to the new drives. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong? I've checked the jumpers and even reversed the MAster & Slave to make sure I didn't get the drives mixed up.

Also, on another note, I've read that I can't install the drives from my Tivo into another identical Tivo due to the Serial Number of the hardware not matching the serial number stored on the Drive. Is this true for all Tivo's such as the series 1 svr-2000 or only specific to certain Tivo models such as series 2 or other brands. I'd really like to have a complete backup (hardware and software) of my Tivo setup because I have about 100 hours of saved programs.

Thanks for any help.
IamMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #62
WillowTheDog
Golden Retriever

Thumbs up Thank you!!!

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to PortlandPaw and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I used the techniques listed here to retrieve data from a very dead hard drive that my wife had been using to back up important files from her Mac laptop. Not being a linux guy, I never would have thought to use dd_rescue. I tried commercial utilities like DiskWarrior, but had no success. I thought I was going to have to send the drive to a data recovery company and pay through the nose. But then I stumbled upon this thread one morning while doing my daily Tivo reading. What good luck!

You guys saved me hundreds of dollars. Thank you!

PS - Sorry for the non-Tivo post, but I wanted to throw my dd_rescue success story into the mix.
WillowTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #63
IamMBS

Anyone have any ideas for post #61 above?

Thanks for any help
IamMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:39 PM   #64
videoi

Killed 2 Drives? Help!!

Hey Gang -

Well, the Maxtor 300GB in my HD DirecTivo died (2nd drive). Had a lot of programs stored, so figured I'd try to revive it. Ran Spinrite. Got to about 48% complete, and then basically stopped. Killed Spinrite, figured I'd just try dd_rescue. Using the disk from ptvupgrade, I booted into linux, and tried dd_rescue - it was going along ok for a few hours, and then (also) just seemed to stop. I couldn't ecape out of it, so (knowing I was taking a risk with a Unix-variant), I rebooted. Upon reboot, the machine is not recognizing EITHEr the old or the new drives.

Any suggestions??!?!?

Thanks

Ira
videoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #65
ExpectLess

Thumbs up Thanks!!

I thought I'd add to the chorus of thanks for the old original post. Had a failing 80GB factory drive from my SVR-3000, Maxtor's PowerMax tool confirmed that it was on its way out. Downloaded RIP, ran dd_recscue to a 160GB drive I had sitting around, and it's back! I can't use the extra capacity, but I think I'll avoid worrying about that and just live with my 200 hours for now.

Re: post #61, what happens if you run dd_rescue on one of the two old drives at a time? Meaning, take out your "B" drive, copy it to one of the 160GB drives, put the old "A" and the new "B" into TiVo. If that works, copy the "A" drive the same way. Not a whole lot of help, but it's all I've got.

-Scott
ExpectLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:46 PM   #66
rduske

Question about using dd_rescue to copy a TiVo disk

About 2 years ago, I upgraded my 40-hour series 2 with a 120GB disk. That disk is beginning to fail. I purchased a 160 to replace it. It is my understanding that the early Series 2's can only see 137GB anyway. I tried to use mfstools to copy the failing 120 onto the new 160. Obviously, it didn't work. I tried then to use dd to copy the disk. That appeared to work, but mfsinfo reports the new drive is not valid. Someone else on this thread reported the same error I received. In any event, I am going to try again with dd_rescue. My question is, do I need to run BlessTivo after dd_rescue completes, or is the sector copy enough for the TiVo to see the new drive as valid?
rduske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #67
ashu
User title defunct

Any S2 TiVo that was working relatively recently already has TiVo software & Linux kernel pdates new enough to let it recognize ginormous hard drives (I've heard of dual 300s, and even 500s ... see weaknees.com for examples). There are issues with exceeding 300ish GB, requiring expansion of the swap space ... but that doesn't affect your upgrade situation.

Its more likley your dd failed due to a too-far-gone-to-copy source drive ... at least that'd be my guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #68
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
So Coldtoes,

Did you ever sucessfully copy over your drive using dd_rescue from the PTVupgrade disk, and if so what string of paramaters did you use?
Well to answer your question a year and a half later ...

I can't remember, but I am about to try again so I will report my findings. I am looking at my old notes and either I gave up on the PTVu disk and used Knoppix, or else I gave up on Knoppix and used PTVu with just the -v switch. I think it was the former - it looks like my PTVu notes are from my initial attempt. This time I'm going to start with Knoppix and see what happens.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #69
johnny*dangerous

I have a question - I am about to replace my maxtor 300g (which is failing) with a 320g Seagate. - Since I ran the updated kernal on the original drive (so it sees all 300g), will I have to do this again on the new drive?

I have a single drive Sony t-60 if that matters.
johnny*dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #70
johnny*dangerous

Updated the drive last night (only took about 6 hours for the 300g drive to copy). As a note, it only recognizes the new drive as 300g, not 320 so a kernal update is needed to recognize the full size of the drive even though there is already an lb_48 on the copy.

Thanks goes out again to Portland Paw for starting this how-to. It worked outstandingly!

JD
johnny*dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #71
dmark1867

Arrow A new boot CD supports all dd_rescue options, here is how I copied my drives.

This post is very verbose and may include some steps that are not necessary
I am learning, but because I was successful, I thought I would share what worked for me

I did not have a drive that was failing.
My intent was to create an exact clone of the drive in my DSR704 (complete with partitions, shows, hacks, etc).

First I got the MFSLive Boot CD; see this post to get it:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=327239

This boot CD incorporates the latest version of garloffs dd_rescue which supports all the switches.

I then installed the drives in my PC as follows:
hda Primary Master - FAT32 Drive
hdb Primary Slave - NEW 120GB drive (same exact model # of old 120GB drive)
hdc Secondary Master - OLD 120GB Drive
hdd Secondary Slave - CD-ROM Drive

I booted from the MFSLive CD and when I got to the # prompt I verified that the new drive was configured as hdb by entering:
mfsinfo /dev/hdb

& that the old drive was configured as hdc:
mfsinfo /dev/hdc

I ensured that DMA was on:
hdparm -d /dev/hd{enter drive letter}

If DMA is not on for some reason (it should be on by default), you can use this command to turn it on:
hdparm -d1 /dev/hd{enter drive letter}
(If you need to turn it off replace the 1 after the d with a zero)

Then I mounted the fat32 drive to save the log file from the copy:
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dos

I then ran dd_rescue (replace the drive letters if your configuration is different!!!!)
-->Remember, in my case the old drive is hdc, and my new drive is hdb<--
dd_rescue -B 1b -b 2M -A -v -l /dos/dd_rescue.log /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

It only took about one hour to complete (I have 115 hours of shows)!

I then unmounted the drives (not sure if this is necessary)
umount -f -a -r (make sure to type umount, not unmount)

I then shutdown the pc:
/sbin/poweroff
(Just entering this from the root directory wasn't shutting the pc down )

Then I changed the jumper on the new drive from slave to master, put it in the Tivo, tested it, and presto, it worked like a champ !
The new drive has all of my hacks, shows, etc.

I could not have done it without all the fine and dedicated folks on these boards!

dmark1867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #72
anonymuse
Techie but Tivo N00b

How does this work when you want to go from 2 harddrives to 1? (Original 40GB in RCA DVR40 plus 160GB add on)

For the truly uninitiated: (Yes, that's me)
/dev/hda is Primary Master drive
/dev/hdb is Primary Slave drive
/dev/hdc is Secondary Master drive
/dev/hdd is Secondary Slave drive

hda Primary Master - ????
hdb Primary Slave - NEW 200GB plus drive
hdc Secondary Master - Old Drive(s)????
hdd Secondary Slave - CD-ROM Drive

I'm wondering if I'm going to run out of bays! ??

Or can I put the 2 old drives in serial and connect them to one IDE cable? Once these 2 drives were originally put together, do they actually just look like one big drive on Tivo and computers etc?

Last edited by anonymuse : 04-12-2007 at 06:48 PM.
anonymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #73
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymuse
Or can I put the 2 old drives in serial and connect them to one IDE cable?
There's no such thing as "serial" on a parallel IDE drive bus, although it may have that appearance - electrically, they are treated as two separate drives.

When you have a cable with 3 connectors you can connect two drives - one as MASTER and one as SLAVE.

Read all about this stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment, especially the sections Multiple devices on a cable, Cable select and Master and slave clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymuse
Once these 2 drives were originally put together, do they actually just look like one big drive on Tivo and computers etc?
From a user standpoint, on a Tivo, they look like one large storage space but at the operating system and electrical interface level they are two separate units.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #74
newbr

just to save people some time, you do get a speed increase by having the old drive and new drive on separate cables (after checking DMA is on with hdparm), I'm averaging about 40000kB / s.

The other way I was only getting 30000kB / s.
newbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #75
pitchford

Does this DD_rescue work in a SATA environment for a series3 setup?
pitchford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #76
pitchford

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchford View Post
Does this DD_rescue work in a SATA environment for a series3 setup?
I think I've found that the answer to this is "yes" using sda in place of hda.

So if I successfully do DD_rescue from my original 250gig drive to a new 1T drive, will the full 1T be available to the Tivo, or do I have to do something else?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #77
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchford View Post
I think I've found that the answer to this is "yes" using sda in place of hda.

So if I successfully do DD_rescue from my original 250gig drive to a new 1T drive, will the full 1T be available to the Tivo, or do I have to do something else?
You need to do something else. Check mfslive...
Old 01-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #78
pitchford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
You need to do something else. Check mfslive...
Can I do it with WinMFS, or must I use the live tools?

I did the dd_rescue copy with the arguments shown above except for the log part "-l /var/dd_rescue.log" and the new drive works fine in my S3. I just need to make the TiVo see the whole drive now (and do a backup).

Last edited by pitchford : 01-01-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #79
Heinrich

Holy Old Threads!!

I know it's old, but, all he information seemed completely relevant and this thread got me going. Anyhoo, is it normal for this utility to start with "about to transfer 0.0 kbytes"

then later

starting positions: in 0.0k, out 0.0k

but then to have ipos and opos and xferedd data counting in large numbers?
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #80
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
Holy Old Threads!!

I know it's old, but, all he information seemed completely relevant and this thread got me going. Anyhoo, is it normal for this utility to start with "about to transfer 0.0 kbytes"

then later

starting positions: in 0.0k, out 0.0k

but then to have ipos and opos and xferedd data counting in large numbers?
I can't recall ever seeing it say that.....
Old 10-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #81
Heinrich

Angry

Well it appears to be processing. Unfortunately it's going to take it 2 weeks to get through this drive.

I've had 5 bad hard drives this year. 4 Western Digital, One Hitachi. 1 was DOA from Amazon. All 4 were in different devices from Tivo to WHS to laptop to desktop.

This particular Tivo drive was not backed up. Either I let it spin for 2 weeks and then probably not recover anything anyway due to 'bad spots' that it didn't recover or I pull the plug now. It's only reporting a tiny number of actual errors so maybe I should let it spin.

Very frustrated
Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #82
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
Well it appears to be processing. Unfortunately it's going to take it 2 weeks to get through this drive.

I've had 5 bad hard drives this year. 4 Western Digital, One Hitachi. 1 was DOA from Amazon. All 4 were in different devices from Tivo to WHS to laptop to desktop.

This particular Tivo drive was not backed up. Either I let it spin for 2 weeks and then probably not recover anything anyway due to 'bad spots' that it didn't recover or I pull the plug now. It's only reporting a tiny number of actual errors so maybe I should let it spin.

Very frustrated
Do you have frequent power blips?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #83
BlankMan
I'm the Kettle

WoW! This thread still lives. I am truly amazed.
and ah, a, HR20 (a necessary evil)

TiVo's back! We win!
BlankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #84
ronsch

Hey - dd_rescue is good stuff!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #85
cewinchester

bad 80 gig maxtor drive

My hard drive failed and I have no backup. I put the drive into my computer and booted it and it does not recognize the drive. I loaded the MFSlive.org stuff but have not been able to find out how to repair the drive. When I select the drive it says super header not found. Now what do I do ?
cewinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #86
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewinchester View Post
My hard drive failed and I have no backup. I put the drive into my computer and booted it and it does not recognize the drive. I loaded the MFSlive.org stuff but have not been able to find out how to repair the drive. When I select the drive it says super header not found. Now what do I do ?
Read this thread from the beginning.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #87
teddyk

the matrix

Ran dd_rescue in mfslive and almost immediately got a massive scroll of multiple messages saying "bad sector" "input/output error!" . the scroll just keeps going and going at a very high rate. Should I leave it be? Or is it fried? Other options?
teddyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #88
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyk View Post
Ran dd_rescue in mfslive and almost immediately got a massive scroll of multiple messages saying "bad sector" "input/output error!" . the scroll just keeps going and going at a very high rate. Should I leave it be? Or is it fried? Other options?
You could let it go but that doesn't sound too promising. The other option you could try is Spinrite or it's equivalent.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #89
unitron

Do it backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyk View Post
Triple check all of your cables and connections, then put the source drive in the freezer overnight, then run dd_rescue with the -r switch to make it copy from the end of the drive instead of the beginning (it'll write to the end of the target drive and work it's way to the beginning, so the source and target need to be the same size).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #90
ss_sea_ya

Dang, when I started reading this thread, I thought well, its old info, but so is my Hughs HDVR2 (DirecTivo) but I bet I can find some good info anyways. Well I did, but was also semi-surprised its still active, which is good to know the the info is still relevant and that there may be some new updated info/tools.

I have a WD320Gig drive (@v6.4a) that suddenly stopped working in my HDRV2. My original drive (Maxtor? 40G @6.2) works fine. The failed drive goes through the please wait and almost there screens then nothing, like it is in standby. (tried remote and front panel to bring it out of "standby" but didn't work). So I guess my drive has crashed and I want to attempt to recover it for the recordings. So here is my plan:

1. Run (from CD/Floppy) WD Diag's "quick test" to see health of failed drive.
2. Run DDRESCUE to copy failed drive to a new WD 320G drive.
3. If that fails, then run Spinrite on the failed drive and then copy to new drive.
4. If Spinrite fails, then throw in towel on saving the drive/recordings.

Question: Suggestions for getting dd_rescue? Seems like mslive.org is a good source. Or just use the sources listed in earlier posts?
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote