TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #1261
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Welcome to the forum. Since the WD20EURS is an AV dedicated drive the AAM default is already 128. Since the drive was manufactured after 09/15/10 you shouldn't have to tweak the Intellipark timeout setting. You should be good to go as is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
It's really easy to upgrade the internal drive. You just burn Comer's ISO file to a CD and get 2 SATA to USB cable/adapters if you don't have a desktop with SATA drives. I used these adapters and they've worked well: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-SATA-C...1739697&sr=8-8

Then you just stick the CD in the drive, power down the computer (you might need to check your bios to make sure that the CD drive comes before your internal hard drive in the boot-up order but it's probably already set up that way), connect the 2 drives to the 2 adapters (or internally) and start up the computer. Just follow Comer's fairly simple prompts from then on. Really not that bad.
I'm looking at getting a WD20EARS to upgrade my premiere. Is there still a problem with running wdidle to disable intellipark when using SATA - USB adapters such as the ones listed above? But if the drive manufactured date is after 9/15/2010, then this is a moot point anyway?
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #1262
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I'm looking at getting a WD20EARS to upgrade my premiere. Is there still a problem with running wdidle to disable intellipark when using SATA - USB adapters such as the ones listed above? But if the drive manufactured date is after 9/15/2010, then this is a moot point anyway?
If the drive is manufactured after 09/15/10 it's very possible that there would be no need to adjust the Intellipark feature. However there was at least one user that ran into the issue with a drive manufactured mid-November, so there's no guarantee.

IF you need to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark timeout it will need to be via a direct SATA connection; it won't work with a USB/SATA adapter.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #1263
mrsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idol View Post
I just finished upgrading my TP with a new WD20EVDS that I bought new on EBay for $95 & free shipping.
Thanks, Bro. I just bought one off the same dude for $90 + FS.
mrsean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #1264
Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Thanks, Bro. I just bought one off the same dude for $90 + FS.
No problem, glad to help. I wish I had bid a little lower myself, $90 is a great deal on this hard drive.
Idol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #1265
RickNY

I have a WD AV-GP WD10EVVS that I installed in my TivoHD about a year ago.. I just ordered a Premiere and will receive it Tuesday. I'd like to put the original TivoHD drive back in the TivoHD, and use the WD10EVVS in the Premiere unit. I do not expect to be able to retain any recordings, settings, etc.

Three questions:

1) If I just pop the original TivoHD drive in the TivoHD now, will it then automatically go back and update itself to the current version of the software?

2) Once I am back running with the original TivoHD drive, how should I prep the WD10EVVS that was previously in the TivoHD for the Premiere?

3) Should I perform the drive upgrade on the Premiere before even firing it up for the first time by imaging the 320GB drive using Comer's CD?

Thanks,
Rick
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #1266
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
1) If I just pop the original TivoHD drive in the TivoHD now, will it then automatically go back and update itself to the current version of the software?
Yes, or If you want to receive the latest update ASAP you can try forcing a connection to TiVo to see if it will download. (It may take several connections before the update will appear.)

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages and settings
3. Settings
4. Phone and network
5. Connect to the TiVo service now

Once the download has finished and loaded look at the "Last Status" line on that screen or in System Information and if it says "Pending restart" instead of a date your new software will automatically install at 2 a.m. your time. Or you can reboot TiVo and it will install the update immediately. You will see these two screens during the reboot process when it does.

You can reboot TiVo via the menu screens:

1. TiVo Central
2. Messages & Setup
3. Restart or reset system
4. Restart the TiVo DVR

Or you can simply unplug it, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plug it back in.

Quote:
2) Once I am back running with the original TivoHD drive, how should I prep the WD10EVVS that was previously in the TivoHD for the Premiere?
No prep. Your drive will be reformatted when you run the program.

Quote:
3) Should I perform the drive upgrade on the Premiere before even firing it up for the first time by imaging the 320GB drive using Comer's CD?
IMO no. Based on years of posts about upgrades for all TiVo's it's best to be sure everything is working as it should first. Get your new TiVo fully set up and use it for 30 days or so then upgrade. The upgrade will keep your settings, etc.

Enjoy!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #1267
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
I agree with what Rich mentioned above. Also, I think* you can use winMFS to make a backup of your current drive and restore that to your original drive to keep all of your CC pairing info and retain the latest software.

*there is the potential that you will not be able to restore to your original drive from the 1TB since it is smaller....not sure, it's been a while since I have done that.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #1268
SUOrangeman
TiVo Newbie

Finally able to power up my neutered Premiere XL (was sold as-is without hard drive). dvr_dude imaged a WD20EURS I provided him for $50. I'm just now hitting the $200 investment mark for the entire experience (haven't activated service, though.) Not bad, considering everything was essentially done via eBay.

-SUO
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #1269
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman View Post
Finally able to power up my neutered Premiere XL (was sold as-is without hard drive). dvr_dude imaged a WD20EURS I provided him for $50. I'm just now hitting the $200 investment mark for the entire experience (haven't activated service, though.) Not bad, considering everything was essentially done via eBay.

-SUO
TiVoStein.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #1270
moyekj

To Do List breaks with backup drive

Last night for my Premiere I replaced factory drive with 1TB backup drive that I had imaged a couple of months ago from original drive using comer's excellent util. Booted up fine and of course listings were out of date so I did net connect. After a couple of hours the guide would show listings but nothing at all in To Do list. So I just left it overnight but this morning same problem even after a reboot and another net connect - guide showed listings for 12 days out but nothing in To Do list. Also search would return nothing at all for anything. I would also get warnings when bringing up To Do List there was no guide data even though there was. So I tried a guided setup which took a long, long time (2 hours or so most of it sitting waiting on the "Obtaining Info" screen) and that finally did the trick - though it reverted to HDUI for some reason even though I had SDUI selected before.
So is it normal to have to redo guided setup with a months old backup drive to get TiVo to start recording season passes & wishlists again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #1271
kettledrum

Quote:
If the drive is manufactured after 09/15/10 it's very possible that there would be no need to adjust the Intellipark feature. However there was at least one user that ran into the issue with a drive manufactured mid-November, so there's no guarantee.

IF you need to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark timeout it will need to be via a direct SATA connection; it won't work with a USB/SATA adapter.
Thanks, Rich. Can you or anyone recommend a SATA PCI card? My desktop (Dell Dimension 4550) is so old it has no SATA ports. I see several cards for sale at Amazon, but they seem to have middling reviews, at best.

While it's true I may not need wdidle at all, it seems I'd be spending about the same $$ to get a PCI card versus two USB-SATA adapters, so I figured I might as well go for the card.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #1272
gamo62

Quote:

So, how do you know if you might be affected? What are the symptoms?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #1273
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
The TiVo will get stuck on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen after a software update. You will then need to cold boot the TiVo. (pull the power plug).
Old 12-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #1274
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
If WD's Intellipark feature is an issue with a hard drive one of two things can happen. After upgrading TiVo may hang at the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. In that case nothing can be done to resolve things except to run wdidle3.exe to extend the Intellipark timeout. Or TiVo may boot up properly but will not reboot from a menu restart. That's not as big a deal of course because as kettledrum mentions you can power cycle TiVo (pull the plug and plug it back in) to get it to boot up. However that also means that when TiVo pushes an update the unit will hang when it tries to reboot so some recordings could be missed until TiVo is power cycled.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #1275
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Thanks, Rich. Can you or anyone recommend a SATA PCI card? My desktop (Dell Dimension 4550) is so old it has no SATA ports. I see several cards for sale at Amazon, but they seem to have middling reviews, at best.

While it's true I may not need wdidle at all, it seems I'd be spending about the same $$ to get a PCI card versus two USB-SATA adapters, so I figured I might as well go for the card.
Here's a PCI SATA Controller Card I'd consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132013

It has four internal SATA ports as well as 2 external eSATA ports which might come in handy later. It also comes with some SATA and Molex/SATA power cables as well.

I've never used that particular card, but I have some other Rosewill products and they have all been quite good.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #1276
bdspilot

thanks
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #1277
bdspilot

bds
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #1278
CamDLux

I purchased a 1.5TB drive from DVR_Dude on eBay. Great directions, and works perfectly! $109 shipped. I am pleased and I would recommend the service!
CamDLux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #1279
RickNY

I just wanted to say thanks to Comer for releasing a great product. I just purchased a Premier, and had bought a 1 TB WD AVVS drive for my TivoHD several months back. I imaged the virgin Premiere drive onto the 1 TB drive after moving everything on the HD back to the stock HD drive, then removing the format with WinMFS, and the activation and everything worked flawlessly. Thanks again!
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #1280
TrackZ

Hello. I'm in the process of copying data from my stock Premiere HD to an extra Seagate LP 1.5TB that I had available. Everything is going well so far following the instructions on the rosswalker.co.uk guide.

One question I had though is that in the latter steps, they talk about setting your drive to use aggressive power management and maximum acoustic silencing. The guide is very Western Digital-centric though and I'm using a Seagate drive.

I'm just wondering if the hdparm command and the arguments it takes are a WD-only thing or if I can and should run them on the Seagate drive? Could I possibly do something bad to the drive if it is an unsupported command?

Thanks!
TrackZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #1281
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackZ View Post
Hello. I'm in the process of copying data from my stock Premiere HD to an extra Seagate LP 1.5TB that I had available. Everything is going well so far following the instructions on the rosswalker.co.uk guide.

One question I had though is that in the latter steps, they talk about setting your drive to use aggressive power management and maximum acoustic silencing. The guide is very Western Digital-centric though and I'm using a Seagate drive.

I'm just wondering if the hdparm command and the arguments it takes are a WD-only thing or if I can and should run them on the Seagate drive? Could I possibly do something bad to the drive if it is an unsupported command?

Thanks!
Unfortunately you can't adjust the acoustics (AAM) on any Seagate drive so it is what it is. Not sure about adjusting "power management". If they are referring to adjusting the Intellipark feature, that only applies to Western Digital drives, nothing to do with Seagate or any other brand. So you can probably ignore both of those items.

I took a look at that UK site...didn't see anything about TiVo though I didn't look at everything. Here's the link to everything you need to upgrade your Premiere...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 12-23-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Subject correction.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #1282
marspinball

Can't seem to find the instructions on how to upgrade a THD to 317 hours. I thought it was in this post.

Thanks for any help, Martin.
marspinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #1283
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspinball View Post
Can't seem to find the instructions on how to upgrade a THD to 317 hours. I thought it was in this post.

Thanks for any help, Martin.
The 2TB upgrade instructions are for the TiVo Premiere but seem to be working successfully with TiVo HD's as well (although not for the original Series3).

Happy upgrading!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #1284
jbell73

I think I know the answer to this already, but figured I would ask in case there have been any advancements in the area of re-upgrading the TiVo Premieres.

I had upgraded Premiere to 1TB a while back, and am now interested in going to 2TB. Is there any way to upgrade and maintain all of the recordings/settings? This is NOT an XL, so the 1TB already has been expanded from the factory 320GB drive.
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #1285
marspinball

Quote:
The 2TB upgrade instructions are for the TiVo Premiere but seem to be working successfully with TiVo HD's as well (although not for the original Series3).

Happy upgrading!
With this method does the supersize option to make it 317 hours work on the THD??
marspinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #1286
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspinball View Post
With this method does the supersize option to make it 317 hours work on the THD??
Yes.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #1287
moyekj

FYI, I got tired of the excessive noise of Hitachi Deskstar (see thread starting here for details) in my Premiere. Amazon has the WD10EVDS for $75 shipped which is not a great price but good enough to prompt me to get it as a replacement for the noisy Hitachi which I will re-purpose as PC drive for backups.
Question I have now is if I wanted to start from copy of 1 TB Hitachi to the 1 TB WD unless the WD turns out to be slightly larger than the Hitachi I won't be able to use comer's method right? Any suggestions on how to accomplish that if WD indeed turns out to be slightly smaller? (I do have the original 320GB Premiere drive which I could start from as a backup plan, but that would mean several season passes would have to be re-done).

Last edited by moyekj : 12-31-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #1288
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, I got tired of the excessive noise of Hitachi Deskstar (see thread starting here for details) in my Premiere. Amazon has the WD10EVDS for $75 shipped which is not a great price but good enough to prompt me to get it as a replacement for the noisy Hitachi which I will re-purpose as PC drive for backups.
Question I have now is if I wanted to start from copy of 1 TB Hitachi to the 1 TB WD unless the WD turns out to be slightly larger than the Hitachi I won't be able to use comer's method right? Any suggestions on how to accomplish that if WD indeed turns out to be slightly smaller? (I do have the original 320GB Premiere drive which I could start from as a backup plan, but that would mean several season passes would have to be re-done).
Hmmm...I guess I'd try it the normal way first and see what happens. Otherwise, couldn't you just use dd to clone it (or could there be a partition difference between the two drives? )

As far as the SP's, you can manage those on line now:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get...s-manager.html
Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #1289
moyekj

Quote:
Hmmm...I guess I'd try it the normal way first and see what happens. Otherwise, couldn't you just use dd to clone it (or could there be a partition difference between the two drives? )

As far as the SP's, you can manage those on line now:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/get...s-manager.html
Thanks Rich. Yes the concern is the cloning part using dd (which comer's util uses) won't work if the destination drive is even slightly smaller than the source. i.e. Not all 1 TB drives give you exactly 1 TB of space - they differ by a few Kbytes usually.

Last time I tried online SP manager it didn't work very well if making more than 1 change at a time.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #1290
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Whats the best 2TB drive for upgrading a premier?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote