Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #391
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbolya View Post
Are there any 2.2TB barrier issues?
Yes. Unfortunately TiVo's file structure is limited to 2TB's.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #392
pbolya

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yes. Unfortunately TiVo's file structure is limited to 2TB's.
That's a bummer. So I guess I need to upgrade to 2TB and keep downloading the shows I won't watch immediatelly to my PC (Have 6.2 TB disc space in it).
pbolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #393
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbolya View Post
That's a bummer. So I guess I need to upgrade to 2TB and keep downloading the shows I won't watch immediatelly to my PC (Have 6.2 TB disc space in it).
That's it for now. Wow! That is a lot of TV to watch!

FWIW there were a couple of folks selling "4TB" TiVo upgrades (2TB internal and 2TB external) on ebay. That went on for a very short while and then they disappeared. There were a couple of members that tried it out here as well, Comer being one but IIRC everyone eventually ran into some file corruption issues. Spike also confirmed on his website (http://mfslive.org/) that TiVo is limited to 2TB's as well. Perhaps one day there will be a breakthrough.

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 12-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #394
wikiwiki2004

I bought 2 2TB WD20EARS date june 10, 2010. Was initially going to use them as an external drive but tivo won't configure them because they are unsupported. So doing comers upgrade instead. crossing fingers and hoping this works!
wikiwiki2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #395
TheTivoPenguin
Lovin Our TiVo!!

Quote:
I know the text message says 10 but IIRC one of the moderators said they changed the actual post count required to 5...but left the text at 10 to scare off spammers. Who knows.
"To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 5 posts."
Looks like it may be 10 and not 5, I can't see links

OT - this thread has been a lifesaver - thank you very much for all of the info here, it was a long read. I should be utilizing this very soon.

Now to gently spam 4 more posts
Old 12-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #396
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTivoPenguin View Post
"To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 5 posts."
Looks like it may be 10 and not 5, I can't see links

OT - this thread has been a lifesaver - thank you very much for all of the info here, it was a long read. I should be utilizing this very soon.

Now to gently spam 4 more posts
Got it. I thought they had changed the count requirement, but I guess that was just a discussion. 10 seems overkill...5 maybe, but I don't think 10 is really reasonable. Not my call though.

In any case, welcome and enjoy!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #397
wikiwiki2004

woohoo! got one tivo updated! now working on the second one! 317 hours of hd programming! Thanks for all your work Comer!
wikiwiki2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #398
chetk

does the premiere upgrade work for the series 3 thx. looking to upgrade my s3 if i can, used mfslive on other tivo and worked but looking for a least 1.5tb is that possible? or can i go bigger.
chetk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #399
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetk View Post
does the premiere upgrade work for the series 3 thx. looking to upgrade my s3 if i can, used mfslive on other tivo and worked but looking for a least 1.5tb is that possible? or can i go bigger.
Unfortunately due to differences in partition structures the jmfs program does not work on the original Series3 TiVo. The maximum capacity for the Series3 internal TiVo drive is 1.1 TB plus the capacity of the original drive (250GB) or approximately 1.26TB. You can upgrade using winMFS or MFStools. Everything you need to know can be found here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

Happy upgrading!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #400
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Premier Drive Image Available?

Does anyone know where I can get a Premier drive image? (I need just an image, not a drive.)
Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #401
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a Premier drive image? (I need just an image, not a drive.)
Does such an image even exist ?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #402
marspinball

Does the JMFS CD now work on the THD so that it can be supersized to 317 hours.

Thanks, Martin
marspinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #403
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marspinball View Post
Does the JMFS CD now work on the THD so that it can be supersized to 317 hours.

Thanks, Martin
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...71#post8300471
Old 12-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #404
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

WD20EARS on sale at Dell.com for $69.95 after $20 mail in rebate with free shipping.

Full details and rebate form at:

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/che...ive-deals/3101

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #405
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan View Post
WD20EARS on sale at Dell.com for $69.95 after $20 mail in rebate with free shipping.

Full details and rebate form at:

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/che...ive-deals/3101
Thanks for that. It's truly amazing how cheap these are getting! I just hope they aren't employing six-year olds to build them so they can make sort of profit. Sheesh!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #406
chetk

looking for some help trying to use wdidle3 but it keeps telling me that kernal not found? can anybody help
Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #407
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetk View Post
looking for some help trying to use wdidle3 but it keeps telling me that kernal not found? can anybody help
Your drive (WD only) must be connected directly (no USB ports) just the SATA port and you must boot into Dos or equivalent (no Windows). Then run wdidle3 /d and all should work.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #408
chetk

thanks i figured it out.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #409
pbolya

Comer, you are the man. 7h of disk check (I don't watch what I put in my body but my TiVo... that is a different story) and 6h of upgrade later I now too have a Premiere with 2TB (317h HD) disk. Everything checked out fine. Too bad we can't use a 3TB or bigger disk.

I have done upgrades to my various TiVos more than 20 times in the past decade but none of them were as easy as this one. Thanks (donation on the way). I hope a lot of people are sending you contributions. You well deserve it!
pbolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #410
alyssa

Do I need to disable intellipark on a WD20EVDS?
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #411
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Do I need to disable intellipark on a WD20EVDS?
Maybe. If it was manufactured after 09/15/10 probably not, but there's no way of knowing unless you perform the upgrade, see if it boots up and if it boots up if it will reboot from a menu restart. If it fails you'll need to follow the directions to run wdidle3.exe which can be found on the original Drive Upgrade FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160 (Section IV, #29)

Last edited by richsadams : 01-02-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #412
alyssa

Thanks Rich
I admire your stamina for answering all our questions over the years.

eta; looks like wdidle for me as the date is 09.10.10...

Last edited by alyssa : 01-02-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #413
Southie Boy

Problem with my setup. Wondering if someone can help.
I took a virgin 320 GB drive from a premiere unit, and a new 2TB and connected them to the sata bus in my system. (running nvidia sata chipset). Booted the system from the JMFS disk. After it did the scan for TiVo drives, it reported that none were present. I did a DIR command under root@/dev/disk/by-id, and I can see the 2TB drive as well as the 320GB (TiVo) drive. JMFS just won't spot the TiVo drive.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Southie Boy : 01-02-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Southie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #414
richsadams

Quote:
eta; looks like wdidle for me as the date is 09.10.10...
If you have the patience you could try upgrading without it. IIRC some of the folks with A/V drives (like the EVDS series) reported not having to tweak the Intellipark setting on drives manufactured as far back as March. Worst case you'd have to pull the drive back out and run it (doesn't affect the data).
Old 01-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #415
alyssa

Quote:
...IIRC some of the folks with A/V drives (like the EVDS series) reported not having to tweak the Intellipark setting on drives manufactured as far back as March.......
Will do & report back. I've got to pull apart my entertainment area, reorganize it, do severe cable management & some cabinet mod's. It's gonna be a while, in other words.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #416
richsadams

Quote:
Will do & report back. I've got to pull apart my entertainment area, reorganize it, do severe cable management & some cabinet mod's. It's gonna be a while, in other words.
Understood. Been there, done that...heck, who am I kidding...always doing that! What ever happened to "everything will be wireless soon" anyway?
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #417
Southie Boy

Comer,
Thanks for the great, and easiest ever tool. The problem I noted earlier was due to a Vitamin D deficiency that was caused by my head being shoved far into a place that the sun never shines. Got that all squared away, and everything is good.
There will be a little something extra in your PayPal account today, I hope it gets you into that Lear Jet you've been eying.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #418
Southie Boy

So, now that I have a shiny new Premiere with gobs of storage, I am faced with another dilemma. I am going to retire (sell) my upgraded lifetime TiVo HD, but I would love to get the programs (plenty of which are copy protected cable channel content, copy protection courtesy of Time Warner Cable) off the HD and onto the Premiere. MRV won't cut it because of the copy protection. Anyone have a slick step by step to do that in Linux? I'm sure it has to be more than just moving the contents of a partition over. If someone has a clue, I'd love to hear. The destination drive is freshly upgraded, expanded and Supersized with no programming content whatsoever.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #419
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southie Boy View Post
So, now that I have a shiny new Premiere with gobs of storage, I am faced with another dilemma. I am going to retire (sell) my upgraded lifetime TiVo HD, but I would love to get the programs (plenty of which are copy protected cable channel content, copy protection courtesy of Time Warner Cable) off the HD and onto the Premiere. MRV won't cut it because of the copy protection. Anyone have a slick step by step to do that in Linux? I'm sure it has to be more than just moving the contents of a partition over. If someone has a clue, I'd love to hear. The destination drive is freshly upgraded, expanded and Supersized with no programming content whatsoever.
Unfortunately, there's no way to do it if the shows are copy-protected. You can hack the TiVo to disable copy-protection for future recordings, but AFAIK there's no way to remove it from past recordings. They're stuck on the TiVo they were recorded on.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #420
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southie Boy View Post
David is correct (as usual) so you'll need to watch your recordings "as is" and then sell your TiVo HD.

Congrats on the upgrade!